The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK AmpliTube® iRig™
Old 10th May 2010
News Desk Editor

IK AmpliTube® iRig™

- AmpliTube iRig turns your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad into the ultimate portable guitar and bass multi-FX -

IK Multimedia is pleased to announce AmpliTube® iRig™: the mobile guitar amp and effects rig system for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

The Complete iPhone Interface and Software Solution…

AmpliTube iRig is a combination of an easy-to-use instrument interface adapter for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad mobile devices, and the new AmpliTube for iPhone software for guitar & bass.

With AmpliTube iRig, you can plug your guitar into your iPhone* and jam anywhere with world-class guitar and bass tones, from the leader in studio-class guitar and bass software.

Simply plug the iRig interface into your iPhone*, plug your instrument into the appropriate input jack, plug in your headphones, amp or powered speakers, download AmpliTube FREE for iPhone and start rocking!

You'll have at your fingertips the sound and control of 3 simultaneous stompbox effects + amplifier + cabinet + microphone just like a traditional guitar or bass stage rig!

Add amps and effects as you need them — you can expand your rig with up to 10 stomps, 5 amps, 5 cabinets and 2 microphones in the AmpliTube iRig app custom shop.

iRig Plug Interface Adapter
The new iRig interface adapter is the easiest way to get your instrument's signal into your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad mobile device. Simply plug iRig into your mobile device, plug your instrument into the iRig, plug headphones or amplifier to the output and you are ready to rock!

The iRig is the ideal companion not only to the AmpliTube for iPhone app, but also works with any other recording, processing or tuning app. Plus, you can also use the iRig with line level signal sources such as synthesizers, keyboards or mixers.

*Compatible also with iPod Touch and iPad.

AmpliTube for iPhone
At the core of the AmpliTube iRig System is AmpliTube - the leader in gear modelling software for professional recording studios.

Now AmpliTube for iPhone gives you incredible, ultra-realistic sound and functionality in a convenient mobile platform app.

With the AmpliTube for iPhone software, you'll have an entire guitar/bass rig at your fingertips, comprised of 3 simultaneous stompbox effects, an amp-head plus cabinet and a microphone.

With AmpliTube fully loaded, you will be able to choose between 5 amp models (clean, crunch, lead, metal, bass) with full tone and drive controls, 10 stompbox effects (delay, flanger, phaser, overdrive, distortion, filter, wah, fuzz, octaver, chorus), 5 cabinets and 2 microphones (dynamic and condenser).

Plus, AmpliTube for iPhone features a chromatic digital tuner and a metronome. You can also import and play along with songs or backing tracks, and create, save and recall up to 36 presets on the fly!
• Real-time guitar and bass mobile multi-FX app
• Full rig made by 3 simultaneous stompboxes + amp + cabinet + mic
• 10 Stomps, 5 Amps, 5 Cabinets, 2 Mics available
• Import and play along with songs and backing tracks with real-time effects
• 36 presets can be saved/recalled on the fly
• Includes tuner/metronome
• FREE, LE and FULL versions available
• FREE and LE versions expandable with a-la-carte downloadable gear
• Same low-latency as Mac/PC system

Pricing and availability

AmpliTube iRig - $39.99/€29.99** (Suggested Retail Price) and is already available for pre-orders from the IK online store as well as from IK selected dealers and distributors worldwide.

AmpliTube for iPhone will be available in 3 versions from the iTunes App Store:
FREE, LE and FULL.

AmpliTube FREE: Includes 2 stompboxes, 1 amp+cabinet, and 2 microphones.

AmpliTube LE: Includes 4 stompboxes, 1 amplifier + cabinet, 2 microphones for $2.99/€2.39.

More gear can be added to FREE and LE through an in-app purchase of a-la-carte models with stompboxes costing $2.99/€2.39 each and amplifiers + cabinets for $4.99/€3.99 each.

AmpliTube FULL: Includes the entire collection of available gear with 10 stompboxes, 5 amps + cabinets and 2 microphones for $19.99/€15.99.

Coming soon!

**All prices listed exclude taxes where applicable.

For more information and videos:

www.amplitube.com/irig
AmpliTube iRig
Attached Thumbnails
IK AmpliTube® iRig™-at_irig_1.jpg   IK AmpliTube® iRig™-at_irig_4.jpg   IK AmpliTube® iRig™-at_irig_3.jpg  
Attached Images
IK AmpliTube® iRig™-at_irig_2.jpg 
Old 10th May 2010
TRA
Lives for gear

This is what I've been waiting for. I can kiss my POD goodbye for practice purposes.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

I hope the iRig works better than PRS's iPod cable...

Please tell me that the iRig does more than that thing... instead of just adapting the guitar cable to fit, does it actually work with the impedance and level so that a proper guitar signal can be worked with?
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear
awesome! hope it sounds decent so I can pick it up around the time the new iphone comes.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Ha ha.

Fantasic! - great fun - can't wait.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Maniac

This is one of those secrets I wanted to talk about last year. I will never forget the day I heard my first audio sample-I was sent something over email and just asked "So, how are we doing with this latest sample?". It was the AC30, because I always thought that our prior AC30 could be improved. I said it sounded great, because it did. I was then informed it came from the iPhone. THAT was the moment I knew that there was something special.

Now, I did leave IK well before the hardware element was finalized, so I can't speak on if it does any sort of matching. I do know that the folks at IK are perfectionists, and as such I would guess that it at least takes impedance into account somehow based entirely on their own internal standards for quality.

Cheers,

Drew
Old 10th May 2010
Company Rep

yes it is an impedance adapter, and the software sounds great. It isn't the same exact DSP as AmpliTube 3 but it is the highest we can achieve on the platform and we do always try to achieve that - and in the opinion of many we do succeed. This has been something I've been holding back discussing too, just like Drew mentions. Very exciting stuff.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Just ordered one from MF
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Head

I will buy one the moment it becomes available. I'll use it on both iPhone and iPad. Can't wait...
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Addict

Almost enough to make me wish I had got the iPhone instead of a blackberry. I don't like AT&T. I have great plan and save $30 a month. I guess if I have my guitar with me there's no reason I can't have my laptop too. Cool idea, I bet it does sound reasonably good. Good enough for practice anyway. Let me know when iLogic or iPro Tools comes out. heh
cheers
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

looks fun but I can see issues with the cable going bad!

I use my iPhone every day and am always replacing headphones and had to replace the phone once.

Something more substantial like a case type clip that attached the cables to the phone would be more durable over time, would have been nice.

As much use as this would get for me I would hate to have to replace the damn thing every couple of months because the damn cable had a short!

Maybe design it into a strap clip system that would allow for the cable stress points to be negated!! I would pay extra $$ for this kind of system!!

ty
Rob
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

what sort of situations would this be useful if you already have amp modeling software?

(i'm not being critical with this question, more wanting excuses to buy it)

Last edited by n8tron; 11th May 2010 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: question revised
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Re: IK announces AmpliTube® iRig™

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron
what sort of situations would this be useful?

When you live in an aparment and your walls are so thin you can hear your neighbor break wind.

Excited to try this product
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope209 View Post
When you live in an aparment and your walls are so thin you can hear your neighbor break wind.

Excited to try this product
For me, the killer thing is that I can use it in every place I use Amplitube without having to use a computer. Think about hooking up the audio interface, having to be tied to your monitoring area, etc. I currently have a second interface hooked up to my guitar amp, but that is not ideal because my computer is still always there and still freaking large. With this, you have something small that can go anywhere. For live situations it would also be killer if you were not needing to do a lot of FX switching-you just have it sitting on a Tech21 Power Engine and away you go!
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
what sort of situations would this be useful if you already have amp modeling software?

Practicing anywhere anytime in the world, and not having to really bring anything extra along (since we all have our phones with us all the time). I'm really excited about it, MF says its a 15 day wait.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tron View Post

As others have said, practicing in silence. Quick and easy to set up, portability, good sound, integrated access to iTunes songs for accompaniment...

Cool...

I don't expect I'll use it for anything other than practice since I have a complete "real" recording studio, but hey...who knows...
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Addict

i can see the day when a guitarrist will show up wanting to record his tracks with an iPhone... he'll go home with an iEnema.
GREAT app. This makes me wanna buy an iPhone.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
i can see the day when a guitarrist will show up wanting to record his tracks with an iPhone... he'll go home with an iEnema.
GREAT app. This makes me wanna buy an iPhone.
thumbsup for the iEnema. That's too funny. Having to talk on that would be worse than using a public pay phone.

If the above is what happens to the person who brings the iPhone, I'd hate to be the person who brings the cheap amplifier you don't like!

But joking aside, if that was the way the guitarist expressed him/herself and we were the engineer, it would be our job to capture that expression on that instrument as best we can, no?

I do know what you mean, though. Nothing beats my tube combo for tone & dynamics, but for a phone to come real close is amazing.

This app looks great. Perfect for practicing in the hotel room between soundcheck (when all my gear is stuck at the venue) and the show. Right now I bring a laptop with me for that. Thank you to all the app developers and programmers. The world is getting better fast.

Now when is the miniDAW or DAE coming for the iPad? I need that.
Old 12th May 2010
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 Normal View Post
looks fun but I can see issues with the cable going bad!

I use my iPhone every day and am always replacing headphones and had to replace the phone once.

Something more substantial like a case type clip that attached the cables to the phone would be more durable over time, would have been nice.

As much use as this would get for me I would hate to have to replace the damn thing every couple of months because the damn cable had a short!

Maybe design it into a strap clip system that would allow for the cable stress points to be negated!! I would pay extra $$ for this kind of system!!

ty
Rob
The cables are much sturdier than your average headphones for sure, but I see the point about the stress points and it is duly noted.

We're also looking forward, even though it isn't out yet, to improvements for performing and practicing musicians so thanks to everybody for ideas and thoughts and such.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Nut

Peter - This is what I was asking for when the Groovemaker App was announced. SUper stuff. Now I just need the new 4G iPhone and I`ll be a rockin all over the place
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
The cables are much sturdier than your average headphones for sure, but I see the point about the stress points and it is duly noted.

We're also looking forward, even though it isn't out yet, to improvements for performing and practicing musicians so thanks to everybody for ideas and thoughts and such.
Perhaps the interface can be a plastic cover that latches onto the iphone/pod with the plug in the jack therefore totally secure? Might not be cost effective as the iphone and ipod touch have different positions for ports plus models changing every year. But then that = more sales maybe?
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Peter - This is what I was asking for when the Groovemaker App was announced. SUper stuff. Now I just need the new 4G iPhone and I`ll be a rockin all over the place
Yea, this is what a lot of people asked for. I wished I could have talked about it then-I think that the whole thread would have been a lot happier.
Old 14th May 2010
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:

Peter,

Is it a realistic expectation that Musician's Friend will have these in the 15 days they have quoted? I've seen a lot of new product releases fall flat so before I place an order I want to make sure the shipment you have slated to go out to MF is really going to happen. To save money and guard themselves from a potential flop a lot of manufacturers are reactive as opposed to having a goodly amount of stock ready to ship on the release date. All it takes is a last minute QC issue to set off a 6 month backorder before your first shipment goes out.

Sorry for the rant...I just know what it's like to be burned.
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
Peter,

Is it a realistic expectation that Musician's Friend will have these in the 15 days they have quoted? I've seen a lot of new product releases fall flat so before I place an order I want to make sure the shipment you have slated to go out to MF is really going to happen. To save money and guard themselves from a potential flop a lot of manufacturers are reactive as opposed to having a goodly amount of stock ready to ship on the release date. All it takes is a last minute QC issue to set off a 6 month backorder before your first shipment goes out.

Sorry for the rant...I just know what it's like to be burned.
Just from my own experience at the company, IK may not ship things when people want them to, but once they announce a ship date they move hell and high water to make that ship date happen. I've seen warehouse people not leave till 11 at night when products launch.
Old 14th May 2010
Company Rep

Thanks, Drew. 15 days seems to be a Musician's Friend thing (commonly see that quoted on their pages) and I'll tell our folks about that since we are looking at 40-50 days until shipment and have been open about that - even to dealers. But you know how that goes, their system is HUGE.

The units are working, the app is working and we're busting our hind ends to get this out when we say we will.
Old 14th May 2010
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, Drew. 15 days seems to be a Musician's Friend thing (commonly see that quoted on their pages) and I'll tell our folks about that since we are looking at 40-50 days until shipment and have been open about that - even to dealers. But you know how that goes, their system is HUGE.

The units are working, the app is working and we're busting our hind ends to get this out when we say we will.
Great! I definitely appreciate the response. I wasn't trying to bust your chops, but across the board with most dealer/manufacturer relationships there is a disconnect when it comes to product releases. I know that MF and GC are the big fish and usually get preferential treatment so I wasn't sure if their figure was in line with yours.

Thank you for the cool products!
Old 14th May 2010
Company Rep

Oh I know you weren't busting chops. There's no way you could know where we are in the process and I'm glad I can say that those little QC bugs seem to be behind us. Nothing huge but, yes, there are always little things that you run into especially with hardware. Really not a heck of a lot to do except produce the buggers and with the app we're close to submission so that should be smooth too.
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Head

Musician's Friend now shows the availability date as July 5.

52 days...

Gonna be countin' 'em... : )
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

And perhaps the most important question...

LATENCY??????
Old 15th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Presets

Will it be possible to export the presets from Amplitube on the iPhone to Amplitube in my DAW somehow?
📝 Reply