The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
That Michael Brauer Compressor Article
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

That Michael Brauer Compressor Article

Hey guys,

I saw an article about compression that Michael Brauer did for Tape Op Magazine but, when I tried to read the whole article it was cut off on the right side. It's from his website. Does anyone have the full article without it being cut off?

Thanx
M2E
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

Hey there M2E,

I actually read the article last night again to refresh myself on the details. I too thought it was the wrong article because it is all cut off, but sure enough that is the one. The article is all there you just have to look really closely at certain words, and the rest of the pages are found VIA the link at the bottom of the article in the middle of the page "(first-prev-next-last)" .

I too wish it was typed up cleanly and easier for us to read all in one sitting.
Here is a direct link to the article.

Enjoy the read as it is very much an interesting style of mixing.

Kind Regards,

Scott
Old 15th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART
Hey there M2E,

I actually read the article last night again to refresh myself on the details. I too thought it was the wrong article because it is all cut off, but sure enough that is the one. The article is all there you just have to look really closely at certain words, and the rest of the pages are found VIA the link at the bottom of the article in the middle of the page "(first-prev-next-last)" .

I too wish it was typed up cleanly and easier for us to read all in one sitting.
Here is a direct link to the article.

Enjoy the read as it is very much an interesting style of mixing.

Kind Regards,

Scott
Thanx-Now I see what your talking about. Most of it I can indeed read.

Again Thanx
M2E
Old 16th November 2005
Lives for gear

I foind this interesting quote on MB's website that related to the article that you may be interested in. The 3 paragraph relates to a small detail that he left out of his Tape Op interview, cheers! ;

Subgroup processing

My question is about subgroup processing. I subgroup the whole drumkit through an 1178 and it sounds perfect. But at the end of mixing I feel I need a bit more bassdrum, so I assign the bassdrum also to the L/R buss. Now my problem is that the BD is too loud, so I bring down the BD fader, but the subgroup processing doesn't work the same and it changes the whole drumsound in a way that I don't like. What can i do?

Usually, bringing down the bass drum (having also sent it to the L/R buss) works for me because I don't have that much extreme compression going on, but since you are using the the 1178, it makes sense.

One very important aspect of my setting up the multibuss compression was left out of the Tape Op article, which I think will address your problem. I send my stereo cue to two 1176's panned hard L/R returning to two channels assigned to the stereo buss. Need a bit more level without changing the compression? Turn up the stereo cue. It works great on Gtrs too...and pretty much anything. Let me know how that works for you.

The 1176's must be set up exactly the same to each other. All the ratios must be pressed in. Slow attack/fast release. The input should be set around 1 o'clock, output to read "0." You want to get about 3db of compression on the 1176's when sending tone (fader is aligned w/ 1K to read "0" on the st. buss) from the stereo cue when the volume knob is set around 12 o'clock. Play with it, you'll find a sweet spot.
Old 25th March 2012
Here for the gear

has anyone taken the time to actually type this article out... that shiz is blurry!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
The 1176's must be set up exactly the same to each other. All the ratios must be pressed in. Slow attack/fast release. The input should be set around 1 o'clock, output to read "0." You want to get about 3db of compression on the 1176's when sending tone (fader is aligned w/ 1K to read "0" on the st. buss) from the stereo cue when the volume knob is set around 12 o'clock. Play with it, you'll find a sweet spot.
Trying to set up 1176s like this, however when I keep the input knob around 1'o'clock (-18db) sending the tone (1K at -18dbfs - which is = to 0 in digital), I am getting the GR needle pinned all the way back. In order to get 3db of GR I have to pull the input knob back to around 11 o'clock (-28db). Should I adjust the input knob to get only 3db of compression?
Old 13th June 2016
Here for the gear

Hi there,
I too wanted to reread this great article and can't find it anywhere around the internet. Is there anyone who has it still sitting on a harddrive and can provide me with this?
Seems like the whole thing disappeared from the mbrauer hp....
Thanks a lot...
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Maniac

You can try finding this article on Michael Brauer personal web site.

I believe he over compresses his mixes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search