The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How To Hear Pro Tools Audio Through Your Internal Speakers (and it's easy!!)
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Maniac

How To Hear Pro Tools Audio Through Your Internal Speakers (and it's easy!!)

Hey GS-ers, I've been doing a lot of post production work lately where I've had to line up dialog and sound fx for film trailers. Needless to say it's not the most exciting work and, since I'm not the one doing the mixing (I just do the placement), I'm not even worried about how the audio sounds, just that each event happens at the right time. However, I still do need to hear the audio as a reference, but seeing as I do a lot of this work on the go using earbuds and my M-Box micro (don't laugh, it works for being mobile! I end up spending a considerable amount of time with uncomfortable earbuds wedged in my ever-so-delicate ear canals.

My friends, I'm pleased to present a solution to my problem (and hopefully yours too!) Drumroll please......you CAN hear your Pro Tools output via your computer's built in speakers!

All you need to do is go over to radio shack and invest $5 in a short 8th inch to 8th inch male cable and then go download a freeware program from the company 'Rouge Amoeba' called LineIn which allows you to route the input from the line in on your computer directly to your speakers.

Once you open that program, simply start Pro Tools, patch your 8th inch cable from your 8th inch headphone out on your M-Box, in to the line in on your computer....and enjoy! It's seriously that easy and it works flawlessly and with negligible latency so someone like me who needs to hear/place a sound exactly at the right moment in a film can do so no problem!

Here's the Rouge Amoeba website:
Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free Software for Mac OS X

and I'm attaching a pic of my cabling in case there's any confusion (once you see it, it's really easy!)

Enjoy your new life without pesky headphones or earbuds!
Attached Thumbnails
How To Hear Pro Tools Audio Through Your Internal Speakers (and it's easy!!)-photo.jpg  
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Re: How To Hear Pro Tools Audio Through Your Internal Speakers (and it's easy!!)

So....anybody try it?? Mine's working awesome!
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Addict
Maybe i'm not getting this but cant you not do that anyhow by routing the out of your mbox to the in of the mac and er monitor the input. you can do this via sound option in your system preference am i missing something obvious.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi882 View Post
Maybe i'm not getting this but cant you not do that anyhow by routing the out of your mbox to the in of the mac and er monitor the input. you can do this via sound option in your system preference am i missing something obvious.
Hmmm....I actually don't think you can.... (unless I'm totally missing something)
The reason I say this is because the only place that audio can be routed out of the MBox is through the headphone jack on the MBox itself. As far as I know there's no way to reroute the audio from the MBox except for having a physical connection (aka cable) that goes out of the headphone jack and back in to the line in of the computer. That's exactly what my setup is doing.
Also, the only way I know of to monitor your incoming audio from you line on on the mac is via a program like the Rouge Amoeba one. (or another one like it) one the older PPC Macs there was a built in option to pass through audio but on the newer Intel Macs I don't believe there is any other way than with a separate program.
Anybody else know if there's a different way?
Old 13th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi882 View Post
there's no way to "monitor" the input apart from if (for example) you had a coreaudio program open. The line input isn't just permanently wired to the speakers as an open signal. That's what the Rogue Amoeba software does.

Otherwise - you're both saying the same thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search