The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 - Terrible - Share your Experience Audio Interfaces
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'm going with the SK48 and adding a saffire pro 40 via ADAT for 8 more pre's! I hope I can set up a nice zero-latency headphone mix with the SK48 as information on this seems to be hard to find. I need to be able to give the drummer some of himself in the headphone mix along with just the right amount of guitar and I DO NOT want to do any of this in Pro Tools(causing latency). Hopefully this can be achieved through the TC Near software.
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

There's 2 headphone outs on the konnekt so as long as there's no latency in your daw, you should be fine
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Head

What do you mean? Of course if I send a signal into my computer(daw) and back out to headphones there is going to be latency. I need to be able to set up a zero-latency headphone mix for my musicians. Example... the drummer needs to be able to hear himself in the headphone mix (inputs 1-4 on SK48 and inputs 1-4 on the pro 40 connected via ADAT should go directly to the headphone out but also go to tracks 1-8 in my DAW. The previously recorded guitar scratch tracks will be routed from the DAW to the headphone out. On top of that I need to be able to adjust the level of the drums in the headphones which is 8 mic inputs without affecting the input to my DAW)
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Head

The Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and the MOTU 896mk3 can easily do this as the integrated software has a built in mixer for setting up perfect zero-latency headphone mixes. The MOTU has integrated DSP (as the SK48 does) to add things like comfort verb on a vocal track during tracking. I was wondering what functionality the SK48 has as far as headphone mixing and routing goes. I can't seem to find information on it. I want to make sure I don't spend a G on this thing to find out I can't make a perfect and adjustable headphone mix for all of my musicians. This is very important to get good performances out of the musicians.
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Head

I probably won't need to set up multiple headphone mixes at once like the MOTU and Focusrite can (which is still a nice feature) but I would like to at least be able to set up 1 mix at a time which is completely zero-latency as far as the instrument being played goes and completely adjustable as far as levels and DSP effects go. Eventually I may want to route instruments individually to separate outputs and into a headphone amp to allow the musician to mix his own headphone mix. I haven't done this yet but any advice on this would be helpful too.
Old 26th April 2013
Hmmm, it's not exactly very expensive to build or buy a proper 8ch preamp. I have TC Konnekt 48, and its preamps are great but having only 4 of them can be restraining somewhat. However I've built myself a nice and clean 8ch preamp from Elliot Sound Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index) and it's all good, and it didn't cost much. If I was into more extravagant preamps, I'd go to FiveFish Audio - Mic Preamp Kits, Lunchbox 500 Series Modules Preamps, Equalizers, and DIY Kits and order 8ch of some of these. I like preamps that have minimal number of parts, and just you know - amplify the sound without too much science. -"a preamp should be a wire with a gain on it"- philosophy/school.

Regarding Konnekt 48, the hardware is really good, and I use it as a standalone device with RME 9652 and TC BMC-2 as DA. It's a really great trio. I get RME driver stability, and TC sound. I do use a second really tiny computer to control the TC Konnekt mixer, though. I also use this little computer for recording on location, as it is not really powerful, but it's noiseless and small. I've built it and constructed it myself, of course. 1He nicely spent, and cheap.

The TC drivers are a bit different story, but not as bad. I'm satisfied with it. Very. In the beginning I had a few blue screens in Windows XP with it, but with the newest drivers and software it's been better, and now I know what I shouldn't do to get a blue screen. LOL Anyway, I think TC software is starting to mature, a few years too late, but it is.

People should always think of the drivers first when buying a piece of equipment that interfaces with computers and use drivers. I mean, hardware can be the best in the world, but if the driver is faulty what use do you get from that absolutely remarkable hardware? I'd always rather use a device with stable and great drivers, and not so great hardware, than a device with great hardware AD/DA and faulty drivers. [DigiDesign, SSL, and Lexicon are making badly written drivers in my experience, sorry guys but it's a cruel world]

Having said that, I think many audio firms could use some good programmers like RME has. And besides, their forum is extremely cool and user friendly. I almost feel ashamed I didn't buy Fireface 800 or UFX, but the first one hasn't got the DSP of TC Konnekt, and the second one is just too new to trust it.

Cheers!
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
Regarding Konnekt 48, the hardware is really good, and I use it as a standalone device with RME 9652 and TC BMC-2 as DA.
Smart set-up but why the BMC-2? why not just use the SK48 DA? they're pretty similar...
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Whoa, this thread is kinda still going I guess...

The output pot died AGAIN for the 3rd time in the middle of doing some final balance stuff on a two year project.

Did a google search about finding a replacement to do it myself this time since they can't get it right themselves. Sadly this thing had some decent pres and didn't feel at all put off running my tube hardware channel strip for stem processing ITB stuff through it. Though slowly noticed some weird balance issues on the last track I stem processed yesterday.

My Delta1010 in an old PC is still going strong after many years of use and abuse.

You can't even baby the TC stuff, it will break on you, period.

I'm seriously never, ever, ever, ever, ever buying a TC product (software/hardware) again.
Suggest everyone avoid this company like the plague, unless your into that sorta thing.
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_martin View Post
I'm seriously never, ever, ever, ever, ever buying a TC product (software/hardware) again.
Suggest everyone avoid this company like the plague, unless your into that sorta thing.
Nah,you just have a jinxed SK48 bro,that's all! :-)
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Nut

Anyone still using these on a recent set-up? How are the recent drivers? Does it play well with the latest stuff? I can get one for a good price, I am on early 2011 17" Macbookpro, OS 10.10.5 using Pro Tools 12.4 and Cubase 8.5. The remote and all other features seam very attractive.
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

I use a tc electronic konnekt 6 and its been brilliant on win 7 I bought it from dv247 a year or so ago when they were selling them for £70 and its been excellent the preamps were clean with n hiss you only got a slight hiss if you cranked them up too full.the headphone outputs were also loud unlike the Steinberg ur range which have very low headphone outputs.

unfortunately tc got bought by behringer and no longer make drivers for there products so they wont work with win 10 ..ive read there is a work around but its hit and miss wether it works or not.im having a new computer built and that runs win 10 so it wont work with it so iv bought a zoom uac2 too replace it but im still keeping the konnekt 6 because it can be used as a volume remote if not plugged into your computer so that's handy.
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubber View Post
Anyone still using these on a recent set-up? How are the recent drivers? Does it play well with the latest stuff? I can get one for a good price, I am on early 2011 17" Macbookpro, OS 10.10.5 using Pro Tools 12.4 and Cubase 8.5. The remote and all other features seam very attractive.
if you've got a old computer with a old os you should be fine im currently using the konnekt 6 with Cubase 8.5 with no issues .
Old 10th January 2016
TNM
Lives for gear
TC updated the firmware which fixed pretty much everything. They are perfectly stable these days, honest. It's a fine interface for the money.
Old 10th January 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Leave it to Behringer to turn TC into a quality brand.
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Leave it to Behringer to turn TC into a quality brand.
they did ok when they bought midas and used them too make the x32

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search