The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 - Terrible - Share your Experience Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktor View Post
Plugging in headphones does not bypass the main outs, which is real stupid. Am I missing a setting somewhere?
It's not a boombox dude... If you want the mains off you're going to have to mute them or change some setting somewhere. The same goes for any worthwhile small or large format mixer, any multitrack recorder, and any piece of gear that isn't designated for 12 year olds.

Routing the monitor mix to headphones while tracking can be achieved with TC Near and/or a DAW. The remote is handy for this type of thing. Thank goodness it's not dependent on whether or not something is plugged in to either headphone jack!
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Update on my last past earlier this year.

With the latest drivers the Konnekt 48 is rock solid here. There is a known problem with the potentiometers that TC will replace even if the unit is old.

It's great unit as I can run it now with both Logic 9.1.3 and Pro Tools 9.
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Plugging in headphones does not bypass the main outs, which is real stupid. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I tried consulting the gimp manual, which is not helpful.
The outputs are all routable so if you want the headphones to bypass the main outs you route headphone out 1&2 and/or 3&4 to the monitor mixer and not the main out. Theres a check box to do this. This also makes it so that the main output volume knob doesn't change the volume of what you hear in headphones. You also won't hear any signal processing on the main outs.

Quote:
Another example is instead of talking about it's midi implementation - I was hoping this could give me an independent midi interface for my control surface so I could can mine and integrate more... no mention. Maybe someone could help before I return this.
MIDI is fine on the Konnekt. What exactly is your problem?
Old 24th November 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
The outputs are all routable so if you want the headphones to bypass the main outs you route headphone out 1&2 and/or 3&4 to the monitor mixer and not the main out. Theres a check box to do this. This also makes it so that the main output volume knob doesn't change the volume of what you hear in headphones. You also won't hear any signal processing on the main outs.

MIDI is fine on the Konnekt. What exactly is your problem?
Thanks Robobaby and CZ. I was hoping I could use my Logic Control surface via midi and can my old Emagic MT4. Logic 9 doesn't seem to recognize the Konnekt as a midi device. Once again, I may be missing something. I'm not a recording noob, but I have been using an original MOTU 828 since it came out so, yes, I am rather new to TC NEAR and such complex integrated mixing/routing software. I also have a tendency to get easily overwhelmed because there's so much **** there I can route.
Old 24th November 2010
Deleted User
Oh, so there's no confusion, I mean "can" as a verb, synonym for "get rid of".
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'm using an ESI M8U XL as a midi interface. I have my keyboard controller on the TC Konnekt's MIDI in/out.

All my synths are MIDI'ed up to the ESI and port routing is handled in MIDI OX.
Old 24th November 2010
mab
Here for the gear

I have used the SK48 for years and it has done right by me. I use a PC and Cubase. I also use a Yamaha N8 as backup. These are the two firewire units I think work consistently well. The TC Near software is cool as well. TC makes some really good gear, but I agree sometimes not all gear works for everyone depending on their set up.
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Logic 9 doesn't seem to recognize the Konnekt as a midi device.
If you have your Audio/MIDI setup routed correctly it should work. Logic will "recognize" what MIDI device(s) you have patched to or from the SK48 (in Audio/MIDI setup).
Old 25th November 2010
Gear Nut

I don't feel the need to go deeply into this topic, but the OP's remarks couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Thanks to the latest drivers for the Konnekt series of products the SK48 is now a world-class FW audio interface. I'm working at 128 samples at 44.1KHz and working up profoundly complex mixes without having to bounce tracks down. I can literally just hit Record and do my thing now, MIDI or audio, without much concern about the timing, because its locked in now. My creativity has exploded given the lack of time I have to spend on compensating for latency or numerous other factors.

I don't blame you or anyone else for the bad rap T.C. got over these interfaces. They deserved it. But the thing is, now the interfaces are incredibly solid and reliable. I have never had a problem with the hardware so that might skew my perception, but the recent driver fixes are really incredibly good.

You won't find a better FW interface at the current price point, that I'm pretty certain about. The pre's and A/D conversion on the SK48 are a huge step up from the E-mu 1812m I was using prior. And now I can get even lower latency? Somebody pinch me, I'm in heaven.
Old 25th November 2010
Here for the gear

I have been using the TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48 for now more than a year in different situation
Standalone, with ASUS Laptop, and Desktop and even if we have been waiting for proper 64bit Drivers, since TC released it it works fine, no crash no drop out, just rock stable.
What I really like in this interface is the quality of the preamps and the flexibility of use with the remote control.
A was very impressed few days ago when RME released the Fireface UFX
RME: Fireface UFX but the remote control is just useless for such interface compare to the TC

So for me the TC is really a very good interface to consider
Old 25th November 2010
@ OP: it sounds as if the driver update required a firmware upgrade to use it correctly, but it crashed during updating, which might damage the eeprom (this is with most hardware when updating firmware - when it gets interrupted, it might turn unusable and requires a service center repair).

TC might have had its issues in the past, but I have used a Konnekt (on Vista) for over a year and it behaved excellent.
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
@ OP: it sounds as if the driver update required a firmware upgrade to use it correctly, but it crashed during updating, which might damage the eeprom (this is with most hardware when updating firmware - when it gets interrupted, it might turn unusable and requires a service center repair).

TC might have had its issues in the past, but I have used a Konnekt (on Vista) for over a year and it behaved excellent.
I think it's a bit unfair that the title of this thread suggests that it's terrible. I use StudioKonnekt48 for remote recording and it has served me well.

I've had some WDM trouble on my home setup using Konnekt24D, using XP and a Gigabyte/Phenom MB. I reckon/hope this will be solved. ASIO works without hiccups!

::
Mads
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

I get WDM problems on a StudioKonnekt 48 too. After a while of just listening to music or watching a movie in Windows Media Player, it starts popping and crackling and stu.ttering.

Only WDM, not ASIO. Also not related to DPC or ISR execution times or WMP.exe getting hit by hard faults.
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
I get WDM problems on a StudioKonnekt 48 too. After a while of just listening to music or watching a movie in Windows Media Player, it starts popping and crackling and stu.ttering.

Only WDM, not ASIO. Also not related to DPC or ISR execution times or WMP.exe getting hit by hard faults.
My WDM problems are different: Everything works very well in general, but sometimes changing from one YouTube movie to another - I get a BSOD. I believe it's the changing of sample-rate that triggers it. Besides this bug, it works smoothly... [if I use my old Motu traveler for WDM, there're no hiccups]

Mads
Old 25th November 2010
Gear Nut

I say this with much love (Happy Thanksgiving everyone!) but why oh why would anyone use a professional FW interface from the Konnekt series (particularly the SK48) to watch videos on YouTube? Why is your DAW even connected to the internet? Again, I say this with much love, but there's absolutely no reason for you to be doing this on a regular basis. WDM is generally considered in all ways inferior to ASIO, and WMP is and probably will always be a joke. It's bad. Use Winamp if you must, and for Pete's sake don't install iTunes either.

I can understand if you are occasionally watching instructional videos on YouTube for your audio products (I do that to help figure out how to use NI's Maschine, for example). But once you're done, disable your network card and leave it that way. DPC spikes are almost certainly what is causing your issues, and you'll get them a lot more often with a network card enabled. And optimize your PC/Mac for DAW use, there's a gazillion resources showing how to do it.

I'm being as real and honest as I can be here - treat your DAW like your about to record "Dark Side of the Moon" on it. You think Roger Waters would let you watch YouTube on his dime?
Old 25th November 2010
Here for the gear

I fully agree with Paul if you have a dedicated PC for music and just for music you will have no problem. I personaly do not use internet with my DAW I have tweaked my Win 7 Ultimate using Black Viper Tweaked optimisation and I never had any crash it is rock solid I must admit by the past that some TC Drivers were not so good and we have been waiting too long for the 64bit driver, but since TC released it it works very fine, WDM the only thing I have installed is iTune (not connected to internet) just to load my iPod Touch. and I have no trouble using Cubase 5.5
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Vicory View Post
I say this with much love (Happy Thanksgiving everyone!) but why oh why would anyone use a professional FW interface from the Konnekt series (particularly the SK48) to watch videos on YouTube? Why is your DAW even connected to the internet? Again, I say this with much love, but there's absolutely no reason for you to be doing this on a regular basis. WDM is generally considered in all ways inferior to ASIO, and WMP is and probably will always be a joke. It's bad. Use Winamp if you must, and for Pete's sake don't install iTunes either.
Is this love?

Anyhow when discussing performance of a sound interface that is made to support WDM, it's fair to assume the interface can deliver this without hiccups. Other than that - off course one will always risk more issues the more "stuff" is actually connected to the computer.

Mads
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

I can't really justify having 2 computers when 1 works fine. As it turns out it doesn't quite work fine in my case but on/off seems to do the trick. Annoying and hopefully fixable but what can you do. I like to be connected because I do much more than just use my computer for music production. I like to make home movies too, I like to shop and look things up when I'm curious. I like to bookmark dictionary.com, google product search, email. I like to skype. Its great if you have what you need to run 2x PCs and separate work and recreation but it isn't ideal for everyone.

Also, the WDM drivers were fine in XP. Its only when my PC broke and I replaced it and ran it in Win7 64-bit that I started getting WDM issues.
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Nut

Hey use it however you want - I'm just repeating what is pretty much conventional wisdom
Old 26th November 2010
Here for the gear

I love my TC SK 48,
I think it's a well sounding fine working device.
Also the way it's designed is perfect for me. I like the feel of the knobs, and Don't have a problem with the headphone outs either.
If you wanna bypass your speakers it needs just one touch of the remote.

I also had a problem with one pot but they replaced it for free 1 year after warranty.
Also the driver problems everyone seem to have, never occurred with mine.

I really like the versatility of the unit and love the sound, but I think it also depends on what u use it for. Per example I hardly use midi (except for connecting a midi keyboard witch works fine).

If I had to rate the unit for what TC said it should be. I would gave it at least a 9 out of 10 (- 1 for the pot)
I worked with the digidesign 002 and 003, mbox, mbox 2, Focusrite saffire, Presonus firestudio and long ago with a Isis card.
The firestudio is close for me, the rest not even a litle close. But I think it's a matter of opinion.
Old 27th November 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
If you have your Audio/MIDI setup routed correctly it should work. Logic will "recognize" what MIDI device(s) you have patched to or from the SK48 (in Audio/MIDI setup).
I still can't get Logic to recognize SK48 as a midi device and resetting MIDI drivers does nothing. In my Logic Control setup screen, it defaults to port 1 for input and output but there's no other port I can select, only "all". Also, I don't know if this is by design, but I can't find any MIDI settings to change in TC Near... any help would be sweet.
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still can't get Logic to recognize SK48 as a midi device and resetting MIDI drivers does nothing. In my Logic Control setup screen, it defaults to port 1 for input and output but there's no other port I can select, only "all". Also, I don't know if this is by design, but I can't find any MIDI settings to change in TC Near... any help would be sweet.
You have to set up your devices in the Audio/MIDI setup program for Logic to see them.
Old 7th December 2011
Here for the gear

I've had a studiokonnekt 48 for a couple of years now. I've had a number of different audio interfaces before it - MOTUs and others... so I do have some points of comparison.

In a nutshell. The studiokonnekt 48 unit sounds GREAT, its clear and transparent with a smooth detailed top end. I find the built in reverb is very good and extremely useful for monitoring reverb during recording.

But... the drivers are a disaster area!! At least on the mac platform.

I have been through 6 or 7 driver revisions since I bought this unit. Not one of them has worked in a stable manner for very long. Typically an incremental system update or even a minor system security update will break the driver. Or the driver will work on my desktop machine but not on my laptop, or visa versa. Believe me I have tried every combination of booting and connecting - that's another thing that keeps changing with different driver updates.

At one point although the actual unit was working and I was getting audio in and out, the control panel would quit on launch. I was without the control panel for 9 months. Three driver updates did not get it working (this is on two different macs with slightly different systems). Finally the latest driver has got the control panel working again! But for how long? If the past is anything to go by, my next system security update will break it.

Their support told me I needed to buy an extra firewire PCIe card (with a texas instruments chip on it) which I should dedicate just to this unit or it would never work reliably (they don't tell you about that in the advertising!). I got a belkin card with TI chip and it did make the unit more reliable, even though the control panel still failed to work until the latest driver update.

Latest thing.... since last week every time my computer sleeps the unit stops working and I have to restart... nice.

In 15 years of recording with macs and a good number of audio interfaces, I've never come across a unit with such badly programmed drivers.

Compare it to the MOTU MkII. I had that for four years and it worked flawlessly through four different macs and many major and minor system updates with out needing a single driver update! The TC does sound significantly better than the MUTO though IMO.

The hardware is fantastic, it really is.

The drivers are very badly programmed. The software engineers all need firing IMO and they need to get some decent programmers in - in two years they have been unable to build a stable driver.
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiphones View Post

In a nutshell. The studiokonnekt 48 unit sounds GREAT, its clear and transparent with a smooth detailed top end. I find the built in reverb is very good and extremely useful for monitoring reverb during recording.

But... the drivers are a disaster area!! At least on the mac platform.
I use Studiokonnekt 48 with MBP 2011 with no issues, so far. I haven't updated to the latest update for Lion as I'm still on Snow Leopard.

Mads
Old 7th December 2011
Here for the gear

Here's my experience.

OK, the thing sounds great, I think we all accept this, but the drivers are what we need to discuss.

When I first got mine, it told me I needed a firmwre update, unfortunately it wasn't immediately obvious how to do this, the update wasn't where it was supposed to be, so I just ignored it and carried on with the latest drivers (current).

The thing was stable for the first few days, then it started to lose connection, this was with onboard TI firewire chipset. I had no idea why until I figured out that the only thing I had changed was plugging a midi device into the SK48. It did not like this...

After a while of not bothering with midi, I decided to pursue the firmware update again. It was just a matter of pointing NEAR in the right direction of the update file, then it updated fine with no problems.

MIDI works fine now and it's once again stable for the last month of use with zero reliability issues.

I have since completely rebuilt my computer, upgraded from 64 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7, and temporarily used a VIA firewire chipset with my new motherboard as I couldn't immediately get hold of a TI. It works fine, no problems whatsoever on the VIA chipset, I'm not going to bother getting a TI firewire card. As far as I'm concerned, at BEST it would work exactly the same.

So all in all, on XP 64, W764, 2 different motherboards, 2 different firewire chipsets, with the latest drivers AND firmware, the thing has been rock solid and I would trust it as my main interface with paying clients.
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Maniac

I have been very happy with the TC Konnekt 48. They have DEFINITELY solved whatever drivers issues people were having. It is stable as can be and its DSP plugins are truly sparkling beautiful. I had the MR816csx but I am much happier with the Konnekt 48.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

or the Studio Konnekt 48. The meters on the MOTU are really handy and cool looking. The remote with talkback on the SK is very cool and handy. I will be tracking drums and therefore need 8 mic pres. The MOTU has them. With the SK I'd have to add some pres which means I would be spending more money. But I also want something that sounds good. I heard the SK has better pre's. However, the MOTU has enough for me to go ahead and begin track drums and later on I could invest in some better pres to run through the MOTU correct? What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

Sorry. I meant I am considering the motu 896 mk3 or the tc studio konnekt 48***
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadguitar6 View Post
Sorry. I meant I am considering the motu 896 mk3 or the tc studio konnekt 48***
I would think the SK would be much better in the audio quality department. I have no idea about MOTU's drivers. SK's are actually very stable at this point.
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Nut

I have the SK48 and it's been flawless until last week. For some reason, out of the blue the monitoring section on the TC Near software is greyed out and I can no longer use direct monitoring. Clicking on the toggle box does nothing. I tried reloading the software and updating the drivers but nothing works. Haven't heard back from TC yet on the matter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search