The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very serious Logic problem
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

jydrst

Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

I just went into prefs and set undo steps to ZERO

Tried to delete a track I wasn't using....

... now on restart number 7
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

ok... losing it now... restart 9

tried reinitializing core audio, resetting prefs, freezing tracks...

get low memory messages then it starts again.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

i would call apple!
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

That sucks--I've been having problems too, but none that bad! Have you thought of exporting the tracks and starting a new project?
Old 26th March 2010
Here for the gear

maybe im misunderstanding you but you could try starting a new blank session and importing the session data from the file thats giving you trouble. or maybe try bouncing each track to individual audio files (if you can). good luck...
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Guru

I'm not a Logic guy (PT here), but can't you import tracks into a new session and gradually build up the new session until you find the problem track(s)? Sounds like a corrupted track(s) to me.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm down to those types of measures... but...

50 tracks, 20 of which are vi's

6 subgroups

2 take folders for vocals that I have yet to comp (don't even know how to import/export something like that.

This is a nightmare.

I tried saving all the settings, then deleting all the reverbs, etc... then restarting...

... now on restart 11
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Try either/all of these ideas:

Delete the Undo list, save the project under a new name - restart the Mac, open the new version of the project and see if that helps
Try "Reorganize Memory"
Restart the Mac and try again with no other apps open
Get more RAM
Delete tracks and regions you don't need
Make sure you use Snow Leopard and a compatible version of Logic

Or: Import all the needed tracks and project settings into a blank song

How much RAM do you have? Logic/OS version? 32-bit or 64-bit mode of Logic? 32-bit or 64-bit version of the OS?
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

There is no undo list, but I did the new name and restart (nothing else running)... nope

I've gone beyond deleting things I don't need, I've ditched instruments and such that I do need... just to free memory.

I have more than enough ram... it's logic's 32 bit limitation, I've got a lot more than that sitting unused...

... yes, that means I'm on leopard, no, I'm not planning on switching to snow leopard any time soon... I generally avoid a great percentage of the problems other people have by lagging a bit before I make major moves like that (not always, obviously)

What is "reorganize memory?"

10.56, logic 9 32 bit leopard... but I've killed off WAY more stuff than I should have had to in order to get ram down... if it worked at all before, it should be smoking now as I've gotten rid of kontakt, multiple instances of csr, 2 instances of amplitube, etc...
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
I generally avoid a great percentage of the problems other people have by lagging a bit before I make major moves like that (not always, obviously)
That's it: not always. There are so many bug fixes in the laters Logic versions, and it seems that the OS and Logic gone through a lot of optimization when it comes to RAM issues over the last year ot two.

Quote:
What is "reorganize memory?"
See Options>Project Information.

Maybe this is a Logic problem, maybe it's a compatibility problem (which Logic version do you use?), or maybe it's a problem with one or more of your plugins. Some Native Instrument and (32-bit) Spectrasonics stuff are known to cause problems.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
10.56, logic 9 32 bit leopard
10.5.7 is the minimum system requirement for Logic 9, isn't it?

So... you are using Logic 9.0? 9.01? 9.02? 9.1? 9.1.1?

I'd go to Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Logic 9.1.1 (or at least to 10.5.8) if I were you. And at least 8 (ideally 16) g RAM.

Search for "Activity Monitor" on your hard drive and check your memory status...

If you want to, upload the file here or somewhere else, and I can see if it opens here or if it is anything that can be done to fix it.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

oops, yeah

Logic 9.0

I have 8gigs... not that it matters

All a discussion for another day... gotta figure how to save this project
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Any .0 version of anything will mean problems, especially with an OS version it's not compatible with. :-) Apple has released 4 free Logic versions since 9.0 - mainly containing hundreds of bug fixes and dealing with memory issues, do yourself a favour and try them out! Just click on Software Update (if you use an Intel Mac, that is).

Maybe 8g and 32-bit isn't enough / maybe you need to update some of your plug-ins too.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

i think i finally fixed it.

I did save as... but this time, I created an entirely new folder and copied the whole project over.

shut down, reopened logic using new project, and well, it has at least let me go in and delete all unused files in the bin... something that hung it multiple times before.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Update to 10.5.8 and 9.02 You'll be safe. It's a quite stable combination. The only thing that makes this my rig crash is closing plugin window after editing an SSL duende plugin through my euphonix controllers

Wish you all the best and not too much troubleshooting
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Nut

Delete the undo history.
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Head

I am resurrecting this thread because I am experiencing this same problem. I tried to fix it by saving it as a copy in a completely new folder but it doesn't work for me like it did you.

The reality of it is, I am not out of memory. According to activity monitor I have plenty of resources left. This is an awful bug in Logic. This doesn't happen normally but it has been happening on a handful of really old projects I made months ago on my old computer with Logic 8. (these older projects I was more concerned with composing so theres tons of tracks/ideas that are being unused) (I am now going back in to edit and delete the stuff I don't want anymore but as soon as I go to delete a track i get this message) Has anyone found a way around it or have any other ideas to make it go away without starting a completely new project from scratch??????

All of my software is up to date. I have also tried the "reorganize memory" option... didn't work.....
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Use the import function to bring what you need into a new project.

Check & see if you're running in 32bit or 64bit mode when you have the problem and try the other option to see if things improve.

Check and see what plugin(s) you might have used then that you're not using now, that might be causing a problem (especially things that have fallen by the wayside or were freebies back then etc.)
Old 15th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Check & see if you're running in 32bit or 64bit mode when you have the problem and try the other option to see if things improve.
Ah, Thank you! I started it in 64 bit mode and i can delete tracks without it giving me the error. However the program is extremely laggy and the CPU bar in logic is revving up and down...

There must be something seriously wrong with the project files.
Nevertheless at least I can work with it now..

thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search