The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

When the drivers report proper value you don't even have to measure (use a loopback and specs on AD/DA). I can do 1 sample with AuLab on OS X, but that's a whole different story.

What latency in ms does your DAW software report for the MOTU at 16 samples and at what sample-rate(s)? I don't doubt it works that way, I'm curious how it works and what the real outcome.

Just fire up your software and look what latencies are reported for input and output.
Old 10th May 2011
Gear Head

I have compared the babyface with the fireface uc and I must say the DA conversion is way better on the babyface. I wonder why no one is mentioning that. The difference is day and night to my ears... .
I am sending my new fireface uc back and am going to get the babyface instead.
Old 8th June 2011
Gear Nut

Does anyone here who has a Babyface know if the 60dbs of gain are enough to drive a SM7b without pushing the unit to noise?
Old 8th June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerjabs View Post
Does anyone here who has a Babyface know if the 60dbs of gain are enough to drive a SM7b without pushing the unit to noise?
Yes, it has enough to push it without noise
Old 18th June 2011
Here for the gear

so I'm guessing this little interface is worth the $750?
Old 19th June 2011
Lives for gear
Every penny IMO!!
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Nut

So has anyone directly compared this to a Duet 2 using a Macbook Pro yet? What's the final winner?
Old 19th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Ace View Post
so I'm guessing this little interface is worth the $750?
Without a doubt.
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Nut

How would I connect my RNC to the babyface for vocal compression to tape?
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
How would I connect my RNC to the babyface for vocal compression to tape?
Read the manual. You've got two analog ins and two outputs (not including the headphone output). The preamps are directly connected to the A/D converters.
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

You would need an external mic preamp before the rnc.

Mic pre>rnc>line in on babyface
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
Read the manual. You've got two analog ins and two outputs (not including the headphone output). The preamps are directly connected to the A/D converters.

Mats Helgesson
LIVING SOUND
Ok, but doesn't that put the compressor BEFORE the mic pres?
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, but doesn't that put the compressor BEFORE the mic pres?
yes. You don't have insert points between the preamps and the A/D converters. If you desperately need it, this is not the interface for you. However it's a very good audio interface. It sounds stellar.
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Nut

I guess my question is then, does having the comp before the pres negativity affect the vocal chain sound? Do you personally put hardware gear before the pres during recording with the Babyface?
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess my question is then, does having the comp before the pres negativity affect the vocal chain sound? Do you personally put hardware gear before the pres during recording with the Babyface?
No. I connect a microphone to the Babyface, adjust the gain and press record. It sounds good. If I need a more elaborate setup, I use my UFX with external converters and preamps.
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Nut

So, if you are recording heavy rock bass, you don't put a comp in the chain? I also have a nice Neve mic pre, can I use that going into the Babyface?

PS: You are in Sweden and I'm in Long Beach...and we are chatting. Cool.
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, if you are recording heavy rock bass, you don't put a comp in the chain? I also have a nice Neve mic pre, can I use that going into the Babyface?

PS: You are in Sweden and I'm in Long Beach...and we are chatting. Cool.
Cool Yeah of course you can use your Neve stuff, put a compressor between it and the Babyface @ 0 dB gain. It'll probably sound very good
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Nut

But DON'T put my SM7b into the RNC > Babyface input?
Old 30th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
Hi,

Permit me to mention that your interpretation is incorrect. If at all, there is a question of power supply with a bus powered USB device.
If you use e.g. 32 ohm headphones with high sensitivity, there should be no issue.

Indeed it is not...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Hi Daniel,
Then why in the world did you guys not put USB3 on the device? That would have solved the power issue. Are there any particular technical issues as to why this was not done or is it a simple bean counter issue?
Does RME have any plans to put USB3 on their devices?
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
Hi Daniel,
Then why in the world did you guys not put USB3 on the device? That would have solved the power issue. Are there any particular technical issues as to why this was not done or is it a simple bean counter issue?
Does RME have any plans to put USB3 on their devices?
It's simple: usb3 is not well spreaded.
Old 31st July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
It's simple: usb3 is not well spreaded.

Over 2 years spread; most motherboards today have USB3 and AMD supports it in chip on new processors. Lots of USB3 devices now.
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Over 2 years spread; most motherboards today have USB3 and AMD supports it in chip on new processors. Lots of USB3 devices now.
As stated by RME in ALL threads asking about USB3 support: There is no need for it. No reason to alienate users with "only" USB 2.0 controllers (all macs for instance). @ 24 bit 48 KHz the Babyface consumes roughly 3,1 MB/s up AND downstream for all 22 channels.

About the power draw, I have no problems at all with either the line output level or the headphone output level with my Babyface. It's loud as hell when I want it to be with my Grado Labs SR325iS headphones and quite enough to interface with external equipment like mixing boards.
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fraction of USB2 stuff. And none of the Apple product support it. End of story.
Old 31st July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Fraction of USB2 stuff. And none of the Apple product support it. End of story.
No, MOST motherboards have had it for quite a while.
Who is this "apple" you are referring to? Oh, you mean that closed computer system maker that sells ipods. (sorry, couldn't resist - not an Apple fan)
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, MOST motherboards have had it for quite a while.
Who is this "apple" you are referring to? Oh, you mean that closed computer system maker that sells ipods. (sorry, couldn't resist - not an Apple fan)
I and most people don't give a rat's tushy about your opinion about apple. I'm a PC guy but use both doing real on location recordings where there's only one chance of getting it right.

The fact that RME would eliminate a large user base by going USB3 seems foolish and you've already gotten official answers from the company.

USB2.0 is stable, has been for quite some time, is very common and stable. It is quite enough for professional applications. I've successfully recorded lots of gigs with my RME interfaces, be they Firewire or USB. Just make your system stable and off you go.

What is your problem and why bother trolling this forum, beating a dead horse?
Old 31st July 2011
Anyway, there were some folks at RME forum, who compained that USB3 was not implemented in UFX, and RME replied in a blunt way (as usual). But I'm sure they are working on some level of R&D, but they won't tell anything, even we ask. That kind of retrospective questions from consumers usually don't work. We need to be involved in beta, or even alpha stage, if we really need certain features in the new product.
Old 31st July 2011
Lives for gear

USB 2.0 should provide at least 500 mA, mine provide at least 1100 mA. The UFX consumes 400 mA at full load according to RME, 100 mA according to both Windows and OS X. There are still PCs out there that do not even provide the full 500 mA (especially common with front-port PC cases btw).

The Babyface offers more I/Os than a Apogee Duet 2, which doesn't offer any numbers on the power of its headphone output in the specs.

USB 3.0 might provide more power and thus offer more juice for headphone amps, but as long as Intel does not offer USB 3 as part of their chipsets (and has ironed out the kinks of a "new" technology) it cannot be considered widespread. Even USB 2 needed years to finally offer proper chipsets that offer the realworld performance listed in the specs.
Old 3rd August 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
Hi guys just wanted to check a couple of things as i am thinking of swapping my duet 2 and paying the difference and getting a babyface (for the 2 headphone outs and monitoring reverb, and to have a cross platform driver)

But then i find out that the reverb is HOST cpu calculated, when all this time i thought it was DSP. it doesn't bother me POWER wise as i have plenty, but i am wondering, does the monitoring reverb work at the same latency as your host, i.e. is there no advantage to using it to provide a comfort verb for singer, over just using host monitoring with say the duet 2? Sound on Sound reviews says it is affected by latency where as at RME forum i read it wasn't affected???
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Addict

well latency with monitoring is no worries at all.

ive had some issues with my babyface with macbook pro late 2008. need to restart system to get it to work from start.

if you can, borrow one before you buy and try it out.
maybe this is just me having this problem.

E
Old 4th August 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
hi so you can use the monitoring reverb with almost zero latency, even if your host buffer is high?? Sorry to hear you have had problems, is it possible to be a faulty unit or out dated firmware?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search