The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Head

Nice find! Any word on pricing?
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
nope.
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

Babyface just came in. Thoughts...

1. Really impressed with the DA. Think I'll be getting rid of my Lavry Black.

2. Handling sessions with lots of VI's (Nexus, Elektra X, Sylenth, etc) with ease, no hiccups. Was worried about this since it's USB and I've always used Firewire.

3. Headphone amp sounds great.

4. The silver version is gorgeous heh

5. RME makes funny manuals/instructions.

6. Extremely easy to set up and operate. Very "dummy proof", and trust me I'm a technical moron. I had not one problem.

Getting 32 buffers with Logic and Presonus Studio One. Pro Tools 9 would only go down to 64 Good thing I'm getting Eleven Rack. Otherwise I'd be dealing with 64 buffers with Eleven inside of Pro Tools, which is a bit high for me with electric guitar.
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

Just got my Babyface today as well.

First impression is that it obviously seems to be very well made. Some people have complained about the jog wheel not being smooth but mine is smooth as a babyfaces butt. I have never, ever witnessed a USB connection being this secure. I almost thought I was plugging it in wrong, even after realizing I had the orientation correct. Nice. No wiggles allowed. I like the included breakout cable extension cord. Nice.

I remember someone earlier in this thread complaining about the weight of the breakout cable. Your kidding me right? Would you rather it weigh an ounce and be a piece of crap? It is neither too big, nor too heavy. Actually, I wish the cables were a little thicker, but I'm sure it probably wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Very easy, easy driver installation. You would think this would be a given, but if you have ever experienced problems installing Digidesign drivers before, you will appreciate this... and I am no knucklehead when it comes to driver installations btw. I am a day in / day out PC Technician for 15 years. Installation on the babyface took like 4 seconds total, and then a reboot. Boom, done - the way it should be. Firmware upgrade, same experience. EASY, and I have had problems upgrading firmware on Mbox's as well. Just double click the firmware file, tell it to update, wait a few seconds for it to finish, click ok, unplug and replug as it tells you... done. No hassle. Avid, you need to go back to the drawing board.

People have commented on how stable the drivers are.... Now I know why. Basically, after playing with this for 15 minutes in Pro Tools 9 under Windows 7, I can safely / confidently / unashamedly say that the Mbox 3 sucks in COMPARISON. Pro Tools was never the problem with the various errors, hardware buffer overflows, DAE errors, etc. It was all Avids crappy hardware all along. With the babyface, when I click on a spot on the top bar in pro tools to play, it plays instantly, no delay. Before with the Mbox 3, if I clicked on the top bar (which instantly starts playing wherever you click on it), there would be a delay before playing.... not too bad, but annoying (regardless of buffer settings, etc). And if I clicked around too fast on the bar at the top with my Mbox 3 I would get hardware buffer errors and such, and I have a GREAT system. I can't make this babyface crash. VERY STABLE.

I then installed it in "Mac". There was one strange thing I noticed after installing the drivers and choosing the babyface as my sound card. When I played system sounds from the sound menu in system preferences, there was a crackle on the end of every sound effect played back. At first I was like "oh no...", however, the strange thing is that when I opened Pro Tools 9 for the first time, played around, and quit Pro Tools, all the system sounds were fine again, and the issue did not reoccur.

Did I mention this thing sounds fantastic? There is a noticeable difference in listening to my sessions through the headphone out as compared to my Mbox 3, and I was not expecting there to be one. I am not one of those people that generally makes a big deal over little, almost indistinguishable differences. I suppose I could be wrong, but the Mbox 3 just seemed kind of harsh to me.... not like it was peaking, but almost like it was close to peaking.

Everything sounds GREAT with lots of volume... just very smooth, and very crispy. I have yet to record anything yet though. When I do, i'll post back an A/B.

Long story short, if you are waiting on getting this, DON'T. There is no reason to, as long as stability and quality is your concern, and money is a little less of a concern.

I got mine for $680 total. If anyone wants to potentially get it for that price, make this guy an offer while he still has them:

RME Babyface 10-in/12-out USB Audio Interface - NEW - eBay (item 230581461507 end time May-03-11 17:11:00 PDT)

No one else was willing to offer me that price, and trust me, I shopped around. Boy did I shop around.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear
Ditto!! This thing is friggin' awesome. Very solid drivers and Fast!!! Wow, the latency figures are fantastic.... and I don't just mean visually.. You can hear that it's fast. Fastest driver I've heard between Firewire and USB.

Sold a DUET to get this, as I needed more flexibility with regard to routing etc. I already also have an RME Fireface800, but have to say that the Baby is right up there and the drivers are faster.

all I can say is Wow!
Old 8th April 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I'm really sorry for the stupid question.

I bought a babyface but I have no idea how to you this TotalMix software.
I was able to listen to the my songs as a soundcard but I can't pass the input to my headphone to monitor my voice while singing.

I connected my condenser mic to Line In L and my headphone to Phones in the breakout cable. I can see the levels going up and down as soon as I speak to the mic but I cannot hear my voice to the headphones.
I do not have protools or high end software either.

I installed audacity to plan to record my voice and do simple sound editing.
My question is, how do I set up this baby for vocal recording?
I like to record my voice in audacity and monitor at the same time via
headphones. I do not have any other monitoring speakers either.

Thank you and I appreciate all the answers.
Old 8th April 2011
Here for the gear

Owners please. I don't care your opinions i would like to hear recorded samples, comparsion tests. If it's great please prove it. Thanks
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Addict

hey guys. i have some almost-issues with headphone volume settings making up its mind on its own, with cubase and i had to use it for a skype interview, all the time it changed the gain from 30 to 45. could i change these settings somewhere?
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by destfix View Post
Owners please. I don't care your opinions i would like to hear recorded samples, comparsion tests. If it's great please prove it. Thanks
PATIENCE. You'll get your comparisons. For now, you'll have to put up with us oozing. There are other awesome things to this than just how it sounds, and those are the things you will hear first from users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam123 View Post
Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I'm really sorry for the stupid question.

I bought a babyface but I have no idea how to you this TotalMix software.
I was able to listen to the my songs as a soundcard but I can't pass the input to my headphone to monitor my voice while singing.
Its not a stupid question, I had to play around for a bit before I figured it out. I actually couldn't get the audio to go through the headphone out on the side of the unit, and settled for getting it to come out of the breakout cable headphone out. I also didn't read the manual, and that is likely why. Totalmix is certainly a little confusing.

Just an FYI for others.... in Windows, I could select a buffer of 48 in the babyface usb settings control panel, but Pro Tools 9 could not start with 48. I had to select 64, then Pro Tools 9 would start. Pro Tools needs to have the hardware device set for multiples of 32 / 64 / 128, etc. The babyface did not allow me to set it at 32.
Old 8th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by destfix View Post
Seriously, what have you contributed to this forum? With that attitude you won't get much for free in this world.

I have posted an A/D comparison test comparing it to the UFX and also a choir recording. Nowadays A/D and D/A converters on all but the cheapest audio interfaces sound good enough for professional use and the other features become more important. This interface is one of the most thought-out, best performing and feature rich small sound cards on the market.
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
It says the list price is 249 Eur:
Acoustic Style

For that price I can't imagine the inside will also be the same as the babyface...
Old 8th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by singsong View Post
It says the list price is 249 Eur:
Acoustic Style

For that price I can't imagine the inside will also be the same as the babyface...
It would rip up the market if it was the same...
Old 8th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
PATIENCE. You'll get your comparisons. For now, you'll have to put up with us oozing. There are other awesome things to this than just how it sounds, and those are the things you will hear first from users.

Thanks!!
Old 8th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
Seriously, what have you contributed to this forum? With that attitude you won't get much for free in this world.

Mats Helgesson
LIVING SOUND
Maybe nothing here but other forum more than you can ever imagine. I will check your test at least there is one... many owners but only one test.. if it's not strange to you that is not my problem......... Waiting for the review from Breathless also i try to get one babyface to test and i hope you will be seriously satisfied with my contribution in this forum.
Old 8th April 2011
Here for the gear

Two videos that made me buy RME babyface.

YouTube - J Rabbit - Thank you for the music (Cover)

YouTube - Hcube wiv J Rabbit -
Old 9th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam123 View Post
The videos are awesome! The musicians and the sound quality.
I tried the Babyface out and liked it a lot.
Voice and guitars "sound close and intimate", that's my impression anyway.
I am waiting for the new duet so that I can compare it but I can imagine I'm going to get the Babyface in the end.
I was also thinking about the Fireface UC/400 but have heard that the Babyface sounds better (Especially DA). Can anyone confirm this?
Old 9th April 2011
Gear Head

I am having one issue that is quite frustrating. For the life of me I cant seem to get a loud and even mix of both my instrumental (coming from pro tools 9), and my latency free vocal. Playback (while not recording) is delicious, but while recording, my voice in my cans isn't loud enough.

If I raise the input gain in Totalmix to a level where I can hear my vocal at an adequate level, my vocal distorts at the loud portions of my rapping (which is most of it). It doesn't even sound like its too loud in my cans, it just sounds distorted. If I back off of the mic it just does not sound "full" at all in my headphones. If I lower the input gain, it records fine in Pro Tools and listening back to the recorded material is plenty loud, but I can barely hear myself while recording. I have been playing with the input monitoring fader, as well as the input gain and I cannot find a happy spot! What I want to do is lower the software playback (the instrumental from Pro Tools), lower the input gain, and CRANK the headphone volume. This way I should be able to find a happy spot between the two without distortion.... but I think the bottom line is that the Babyface is not able to drive my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm headphones with enough umph (which doesn't really make sense to me). Its just not loud enough! I have not had this issue with other interfaces and these headphones, but that could certainly be because I was using a Samson headphone amp, but i'm hoping its me.... Someone school me please.

EDIT:

This appears to be a known thing about the babyface. It doesn't have headphone umph...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=51002

From the admin on the RME forums: "The Babyface provides 30 Ohm on the headphone outs. This could be indeed a problem with high ohm headphones. A small (high-end) preamp, like Lehmann audio, could be necessary."

EDIT 2: This was definitely my problem... oh well. I was hoping to completely bypass my other equipment and just use Babyface. The pain is that my headphone amp immediately introduces noise into the signal and babyface is noiseless :(
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I am having one issue that is quite frustrating. For the life of me I cant seem to get a loud and even mix of both my instrumental (coming from pro tools 9), and my latency free vocal. Playback (while not recording) is delicious, but while recording, my voice in my cans isn't loud enough.

If I raise the input gain in Totalmix to a level where I can hear my vocal at an adequate level, my vocal distorts at the loud portions of my rapping (which is most of it). It doesn't even sound like its too loud in my cans, it just sounds distorted. If I back off of the mic it just does not sound "full" at all in my headphones. If I lower the input gain, it records fine in Pro Tools and listening back to the recorded material is plenty loud, but I can barely hear myself while recording. I have been playing with the input monitoring fader, as well as the input gain and I cannot find a happy spot! What I want to do is lower the software playback (the instrumental from Pro Tools), lower the input gain, and CRANK the headphone volume. This way I should be able to find a happy spot between the two without distortion.... but I think the bottom line is that the Babyface is not able to drive my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm headphones with enough umph (which doesn't really make sense to me). Its just not loud enough! I have not had this issue with other interfaces and these headphones, but that could certainly be because I was using a Samson headphone amp, but i'm hoping its me.... Someone school me please.

EDIT:

This appears to be a known thing about the babyface. It doesn't have headphone umph...

RME User Forum / Pairing the Babyface with suitable headphones?

From the admin on the RME forums: "The Babyface provides 30 Ohm on the headphone outs. This could be indeed a problem with high ohm headphones. A small (high-end) preamp, like Lehmann audio, could be necessary."

EDIT 2: This was definitely my problem... oh well. I was hoping to completely bypass my other equipment and just use Babyface. The pain is that my headphone amp immediately introduces noise into the signal and babyface is noiseless :(

Interesting.
Not enough UMPH in the headphone amp.

Just prooves my point yet again.
RME is cutting the wrong corners on babyface. We have adat, dsp, totalmix.
But not enough UMPH in headphones amp, and two "copied" headphone outs.
Portable interface like babyface and extra headphoneamp makes no sense to me....
Too bad RME didnt focus on fundamentals and dropped dsp, adat.

Hehe, gonna stop now. Was just hoping babyface wud be the interface for me, the perfect portable interface. I love the sound of its pre, converters.

I've used fex mic sm7b (needs a LOT of pre gain) and headphone: AKG 271, sennheiser hd25, with great results on babyface.

PS. dont think the ALWA nanoface will be RME quality pre, converters
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Head

Yea, kind of annoying, yet it still sounds great.

As promised, here is an A/B test.

Babyface vs Mbox 3!

Hope your happy destfix!

RME Babyface Vs Mbox 3 Rap Vocal A/B Test
Old 10th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yea, kind of annoying, yet it still sounds great.

As promised, here is an A/B test.

Babyface vs Mbox 3!

Hope your happy destfix!

RME Babyface Vs Mbox 3 Rap Vocal A/B Test
Thanks You are the real owner.
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfg_MacGyver View Post
Just prooves my point yet again.
RME is cutting the wrong corners on babyface. (...)
Too bad RME didnt focus on fundamentals and dropped dsp, adat.
Permit me to mention that your interpretation is incorrect. If at all, there is a question of power supply with a bus powered USB device.
If you use e.g. 32 ohm headphones with high sensitivity, there should be no issue.
Quote:
PS. dont think the ALWA nanoface will be RME quality pre, converters
Indeed it is not...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
Hi,

If at all, there is a question of power supply with a bus powered USB device.
If you use e.g. 32 ohm headphones with high sensitivity, there should be no issue.
I don't understand... you told me on the RME forums that Power Supply vs being USB Bus powered would make no difference on the output of the babyface.... or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Also, WHY would they not make the headphone output more on the babyface? Perhaps give it the ABILITY to be more if it was plugged in via Power Supply. That would have been very nice. A very good portion of Babyface users are going to be professional users who have high impedance headphones. I am having a hard time finding fantastic 32 Ohm headphones made for studio use... Notably, the 32 Ohm Beyer DT series phones have much less bass, but I love the bass of the 770 80 ohm series. Its kind of annoying to need an external preamp :(
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

How would ATH-M50's work with the Babyface @ 38 Ohm impedance?
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

Hi guys, I get my babyface since 2 months, I'm very happy with it.
I'm also taking confidence with totalmix, and now I can manage it quite well.

For example, play some music via the xlr, record the performance (the music+some live singers) with reaper, and monitor all of this in the headphones.
Nice :D

My only problem comes with recording in mono ... how can I accomplish that ?
Actually the xlr input are L and R, and what I get in reaper is a track almost 100% L or R
Even if I set in reaper a mono analog input .
And what is crazy to me is that the sound is not completely R or L but it's panned 80-90%
How can I record a centered track ?
I tried to toy around with the panning and the stereo button in the totalmix input, but nothing ...
If I use the jack input with my guitar I don't have this problem ....
Should I go for an xlr-jack adapter and use the side input for having mono recordings ?

Thanks
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

To record a mono signal just record a sound source/instrument via either L or R XLR input.

even if you are recording to a mono channel from inputs L+R you are making a summed version of your stereo recording.
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
To record a mono signal just record a sound source/instrument via either L or R XLR input.

even if you are recording to a mono channel from inputs L+R you are making a summed version of your stereo recording.
I think is what I do, but why the sound is not centered ?
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham00 View Post
I think is what I do, but why the sound is not centered ?
I had this problem too when I first set it up, but I figured it out. It ended up being one of the pans in Totalmix. I'll take a screenshot later today for you so you can compare your Totalmix to mine.
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

thank you, it would be great !!
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham00 View Post
thank you, it would be great !!
Fo shizzle my nizzle
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Nut

sure.np

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
Hi,

Permit me to mention that your interpretation is incorrect. If at all, there is a question of power supply with a bus powered USB device.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Sure, no problem.
I had nada problems with my headphones though.
My main point was: please make BABYFACE "lightning" edition with no DSP, adat and latency as low as possible.

My old motu PCI32 card is doing 8 samples buffer when tracking with loads of software effects, vsti's.
Emu 0404 is doing ,not as good, but lower latency than babyface tracking with same vst effects enabled, especially in reaper.

I bet u RME guys could do magic with low latency on babyface if u focused on that and dropped adat, dsp-effects.
If u also gave the headphone amp OOOOMPH enough to drive all kinds of headphones babyface "lightning" edition wud be perfect mobile interface imo.

ty in advance

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search