The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear

..So when compared specifically to the Duett, it seems the consensus is it's pretty much "on par" AD/DA and mic-pre wise?
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Maniac

How does it perform with the full 10 inputs recording via any adat based pre, since its usb2 that is my main worry.Firewire will handle that easily, but usb based devices have been 2 maybe 4 simultaneous tracks at best.
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwd View Post
How does it perform with the full 10 inputs recording via any adat based pre, since its usb2 that is my main worry.Firewire will handle that easily, but usb based devices have been 2 maybe 4 simultaneous tracks at best.
Wow. Where have you been living for the last 5 or 6 years and how do you post to the internet from there?? Lots & lots of USB 2.0 interfaces do big track counts. The new Apogee interface is USB 2.0 and supports 32in/32out. The UFX does just as well on USB as firewire. Here are others with a minimum of 8 simultaneous inputs:

Line 6 Toneport UX8
M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R
Lexicon U82S
Roland V-Studio 700 & Octa-Capture
Zoom R16 & R24
RME FireFace UC
Tascam US-1600, US-1800 & US-2000

I personally have tried tracking all 10 inputs with my Babyface and it's flawless. Of course, I never had trouble tracking 8 mics with my Toneport UX8, either.

USB can provide problems if you have buggy devices sitting on the same bus. On the other hand, getting firewire to be stable on the PC side can be a major pain. NONE of my firewire interfaces were good unless I used a TI firewire card, which ruled out my laptops. Even when using a TI-chipset PCI card, it still never settled down.

Anyway - on my rigs (Alienware M11X semi-netbook & Macbook Pro Unibody i5), I can track all 10 inputs. The mac lets me use MUCH smaller buffers, but that's mostly because my PC has a much less powerful CPU.
Old 18th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Supporting and actually performing are two different worlds, I have always relied on PCI or firewire.To answer your question I use older stable systems to get work done.My midi is still done on an Atari w/ Notator, sadly its getting cranky and is retired.Thank you for your reply.
Old 18th March 2011
Gear Addict

Wasn't meaning to belittle old gear. Just saying that the bus is not the usually problem on a modern system if it can't handle multiple ins/outs. That aside...

Most people seem to contest that RME makes the fastest (lowest latency) USB drivers of anybody, and from what I've seen of it, they're right. On my Macbook, I can track with effects and the buffers set to 64. I happen to have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which I'm linking in via ADAT. I can also hook it up via firewire direct, but the RME seems to have better low-latency performance. So even if I didn't use the AD/DA of the Babyface, which should be a decent step up from the Focusrite, I still get marginally better performance running everything through it. The fact that I also think the preamps are better is also a big nod in it's favor.
Old 18th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan View Post
Wasn't meaning to belittle old gear. Just saying that the bus is not the usually problem on a modern system if it can't handle multiple ins/outs. That aside...

Most people seem to contest that RME makes the fastest (lowest latency) USB drivers of anybody, and from what I've seen of it, they're right. On my Macbook, I can track with effects and the buffers set to 64. I happen to have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which I'm linking in via ADAT. I can also hook it up via firewire direct, but the RME seems to have better low-latency performance. So even if I didn't use the AD/DA of the Babyface, which should be a decent step up from the Focusrite, I still get marginally better performance running everything through it. The fact that I also think the preamps are better is also a big nod in it's favor.

That's pretty impressive and speaks highly of how far drivers have come, particularly RME's.

I too remember when USB for an interface connection was... dodgy. Wasn't too long ago.
Old 1st April 2011
Here for the gear

What do you think guys about the DSP effects reverb echo eq? It have good quality or totally useless? Thanks
Old 1st April 2011
Gear Addict

The effects are for monitoring only, and make it nice for tracking. But truthfully, since the latency is so low, I can track with the effects in my daw for verbs, delays, comps,etc. So the built-in effects don't get a lot of use from me. But they do sound very good to my ears.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Does the Babyface have direct monitoring?
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Does the Babyface have direct monitoring?
Yes. Probably one of the best solutions for direct monitoring available: Totalmix FX.
Old 2nd April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan View Post
The effects are for monitoring only, and make it nice for tracking. But truthfully, since the latency is so low, I can track with the effects in my daw for verbs, delays, comps,etc. So the built-in effects don't get a lot of use from me. But they do sound very good to my ears.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Gearslutz.com App
Are they better than some software effects? Thanks
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by destfix View Post
Are they better than some software effects? Thanks
Well - that's a pretty open-ended question. But the reverb is a bunch better than ReaVerbate. But then so is playing my track through a boom box in my bathroom and recording with a built-in laptop mic. I guess I'd put it this way - I would be happy using the reverb as a bus 'verb. But since you can't, it doesn't really matter. It sounds nice, but it's really just for comfort during tracking and I figure there's not much reason to try to get too much out of it.
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Nut

argh disappointing

Quote:
What do you think guys about the DSP effects reverb echo eq? It have good quality or totally useless? Thanks
useless imo...

so much positive has been said bout babyface so here's my less positive small review of babyface:

pre-converter sounds sublime

the "one main control knob and two single buttons" is crap in my hands.

And why no minijack stereo-out (emu0404usb has), with portable setup u sometimes use pc-speakers in hotelrooms.

DSP effects reverb echo eq are mediocre and cant be used in sequencer(as if I wud want to use them)

latency is disappointing only mono track in, stereo out. My emu 0404 usb performs much better latency. Especially in reaper.

babyface is usb powered (grabs two usbs for power). Can run laptop very hot, and force u to buy usb-hub. External power should have been option imo.

breakoutcable feels chunky, for portable setup reading the very small labels is a drag.

I was looking for better converters/pre to replace my emu 0404usb portable setup for travel, babface has better converters/pre but I have to pay for loads of stuff I will never use:
adat, digi ins/outs, dsp effects

my babyface is back at the dealers, keeping my emu. If babyface had performed same or better latency than emu maaaaybe I wud have kept it.
But it didnt.

Last edited by dfg_MacGyver; 3rd April 2011 at 06:47 AM..
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Head

Just purchased a babyface today. When I get it i'll try and post an Mbox 3 vs Babyface comparison for you guys. I am absolutely sick of avids crappy drivers / buffer overflow issues / DAE errors / Sample rate slow down issue / etc, so hopefully this will be much better.

Last edited by Breathless; 3rd April 2011 at 05:18 AM..
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfg_MacGyver View Post
useless imo...

so much positive has been said bout babyface so here's my less positive small review of babyface:

And why no minijack stereo-out (emu0404usb has), with portable setup u sometimes use pc-speakers in hotelrooms.

DSP effects reverb echo eq are mediocre and cant be used in sequencer(as if I wud want to use them)

latency is disappointing only mono track in, stereo out. My emu 0404 usb performs much better latency. Especially in reaper.

babyface is usb powered (grabs two usbs for power). Can run laptop very hot, and force u to buy usb-hub. External power should have been option imo.

breakoutcable feels chunky, for portable setup reading the very small labels is a drag.

I was looking for better converters/pre to replace my emu 0404usb portable setup for travel, babface has better converters/pre but I have to pay for loads of stuff I will never use:

my babyface is back at the dealers, keeping my emu. If babyface had performed same or better latency than emu maaaaybe I wud have kept it.
But it didnt.
Reverse this post and you'll end up with what I think about the babyface.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
useless imo...

Hi dfg_MacGuyver. I'm a bit curious so I hope you don't mind me asking. The Babyface is aimed at a more pro market, I would certainly not want unbalanced TRS outputs, they break and are generally quite ****ty. I probably speak for at least some people when I say I prefer working with Genelec active speakers to computer speakers when in the field. It's not much of a hassle to make an adapter.

Quote:
You could if you play around with Totalmix FX.

Quote:
Some users report 32 sample buffers. I don't know of many other interfaces that match this... How low latency are you getting with the emu card?

Quote:
Mine takes up one USB port of my MacBook Pro and doens't make the computer run hot. External power IS an option, there is a separate DC input for that.

Quote:
I won't argue with you, the multicable is pretty heavy but I find that the labeling is very clear, especially compared to some multicables I've seen.

Quote:
Just wondering, didn't you read up on the specs before purchasing the audio interface? I'm just sayin...

Quote:
But it didnt.
Still don't get this one, latency is awesome i m e. Did you try changing the buffer size?

Take care!
Old 3rd April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
Just purchased a babyface today. When I get it i'll try and post an Mbox 3 vs Babyface comparison for you guys. I am absolutely sick of avids crappy drivers / buffer overflow issues / DAE errors / Sample rate slow down issue / etc, so hopefully this will be much better.
Thanks, waiting for that comparison.. as you can see there are different opinions here about the babyface... I want to replace my digi002 to something portable usb interface. I hope i will find the best buy soon
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Is the conversion quality good on this unit? Looking at options to replace my old 002r and this as well as the FF800 is of course one of the major alternatives.

I already have an adi-2 ad/da and find the conversion to be clear but a bit "hard" sounding. Does this maintain the same family sound?

PS. I know the babyface and ff800 have different feature sets, but I am trying to survey the market for interfaces to go with PT9 for my mobile setup.

Far better conversion than the 002r is my priority, but I can't stretch to MH interfaces unfortunately.
Old 4th April 2011
Gear Nut

no problem

Hi Mats, no problem. Didnt imagine everyone wud agree.

If RME produced a stripped down version of babyface (too) they would clear out the portable interface market I think, really like the crisp sound of babyface.

No adat, no dsp, no digi in out, no totalmix, no reverb/eq/etc
On a stripped down version of babyface I could even live with the two "copied" headphones out.
Now we got DSP, effects, the very flexible totalmix BUT two "copied" headphones out ! Where's the sense in that?

... I bet stripping down the babyface RME could do magic with the latency, powerconsumption.

I wud buy it

Last edited by dfg_MacGyver; 5th April 2011 at 01:21 PM..
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Mats, no problem. Didnt imagine everyone wud agree.

If RME produced a stripped down version of babyface they would clear out the portable interface market I think, really like the crisp sound of babyface.

No adat, no dsp, no digi in out, no totalmix, no reverb/eq/etc
On a stripped down version of babyface I could even live with the two "copied" headphones out.
Now we got DSP, effects, the very flexible totalmix AND two "copied" headphones out ! Where's the logic in that?

... I bet stripping down the babyface RME could do magic with the latency, powerconsumption.

I wud buy it
Hi,

Now I know you've already made up your mind. There are plenty of cheap interfaces that match your requirements but IMO, if RME would go for such an interface, I'd never even think of buying it. It just wouldn't be an RME interface without the connectivity, DSP, Totalmix, Digicheck and the awesome drivers.

I've tried the Babyface with several computers, 4 years old to 1 year old and in my experience latency is a non issue. I'd look at switching out your computer first if you're experiencing the problems you're mentioning, it doesn't seem normal that it overheats and the latency sucks. Did you change the buffer size from the default setting? I got 3-4 hours of battery time on my MacBook Pro with the Babyface connected. That's about 15% less than I get without the audio interface.
Old 4th April 2011
Here for the gear

disliking feature creep in electronic equipment

I'm pretty much on the same page as far as disliking feature creep in electronic equipment. I like my pro audio interfaces to be reliable, to have great conversion, preamps, low latency and the easiest possible setup and control. The effects included with the BF don't particularly interest me nor frankly does the mixer. It seems this all adds to layer upon layer of additional complexity and I have enough things to do in my life without another thick new owner's manual to read; just get me to the music please! By the same token, I imagine the RME software is pretty much free once written and I see that it may have utility to some -just not me!
Old 4th April 2011
Here for the gear

BTW, I do own a blue Babyface.

Just wanted to clarify that I do own a blue Babyface and I am pleased with the features that I have use for! Perhaps some future day I may also derive some benefit from the ADAT digital I/O as well. thumbsup
Old 4th April 2011
Here for the gear

I'm wondering why there is no comparsion tests around.... You can say rme babyface has 1xxdb and much better AD etc.. I would like to listen that. Maybe i will be the first buying the babyface and make a real babyface vs profire 610 vs 002r test and if it's crap send the babyface back.
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

I'm wondering if, using the Babyface with Totalmix FX or not, I can get the latency to be as low as using a 32 buffer on PT9 with "Low Latency Monitoring" engaged...I ask this because LLM on PT9 is not possible as far as I know without Avid interfaces.

Overall I'm still confused about Totalmix FX and whether or not near zero latency monitoring is possible when using it.

I do still currently have my 002, so this is going to be a big deal for me. Not a big deal for me on most applications, but when recording acoustic guitar I'm extremely sensitive to small latencies. Would love to be able to get rid of my 002...

My silver BF should be here shortly...

Also, I'm definitely going to compare the AD and DA to my Lavry Blue/Black. You can PM me if you'd like to hear the results when I'm finished.
Old 5th April 2011
Here for the gear

Super Special Low Latency Mode Only With Brand X!!!

The whole point of a low latency device like the Babyface is to not have to use "low latency" modes which usually consist of your live audio input signal split with some going to the DAW for recording and some signal routed directly back to your headphones/monitors with no delay rather than through the DAW/converters, etc. Thus low, latency -get it?
Old 5th April 2011
ajs
Gear Maniac

Babyface all the way here, fantastic unit. Great pre's, great converters, low latency, USB done right. RME hold their value well too. My third RME unit, does anyone else make audio interfaces?
Old 5th April 2011
Here for the gear

Too much marketing on the web and no comparsion tests. Many shops marked the babyface as bestseller but users can't make any test... Veeery strange no???
Old 5th April 2011
Gear Head

I bought the babyface and liked it so much, that I sent it back so that I could get the rme fireface uc. (At rme they told me that both units sound identical.)
However, I have now heard from some people, that the babyface actually sounds better than the fireface 400/us. Can anyone confirm this from their own experiance? I would like to have more than two inputs but I don't want to pay so much money for a fireface if it dousn't sound quite as good as the babyface. Anyway, the fireface is a pretty old unit which may be updated fairly soon, meaning the current version will loose it's value ... .
Old 7th April 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm wondering why there is no comparsion tests around.... You can say rme babyface has 1xxdb and much better AD etc.. I would like to listen that. Maybe i will be the first buying the babyface and make a real babyface vs profire 610 vs 002r test and if it's crap send the babyface back.
Patience muh brutha, patience. I should have something up within the next few days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
You can PM me if you'd like to hear the results when I'm finished.
Na, just post that for everyone to hear...

Quote:
Too much marketing on the web and no comparsion tests. Many shops marked the babyface as bestseller but users can't make any test... Veeery strange no???
Its still quite new... people who bought it are probably too busy lovin it and makin music to care about making A/B tests for us
Old 7th April 2011
Lives for gear

For those of you who are unhappy with the features of the Babyface, this is another take on the Babyface - Nanoface: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...-nanoface.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search