The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 11th October 2010
TNM
Lives for gear
on mac? the motus are as stable as a rock. On windows? rme without a doubt..

overall sound? rme will have the edge for sure. I am very happy with my ultralite mkiii on snow leopard though.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Head

Any idea which converters the Babyface will have, or what they will be comparable to?
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

RME: Babyface
Old 13th October 2010
Gear Nut

I currently have the RME Multiface, I wonder if it would be a up, down or lateral move if I was to consider this piece?

Dennis
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Maniac

I found this video

It's bigger than I imagine heh
Hope RME will realize something like Fireface UC but with same dsp features of Babyface
Old 3rd November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit View Post
I found this video

It's bigger than I imagine heh
Hope RME will realize something like Fireface UC but with same dsp features of Babyface
Looks like a nice kit... but I'm still wondering it it would be an up, down or lateral movement from my Multiface. I guess I'll have to wait to hear/see. heh

Thanks for sharing.

Dennis
Old 3rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Multiface II, slight downgrade due to lesser #'s of i/o, and of course with the addition of the mic pre's. Somewhere up above in this thread (scott or) someone posted the exact specs on the analog i/o for your reference, imo not too far off in terms of audio quality (might be slightly better but not worth the upgrade unless perhaps you're selling your old unit due to not needing all the i/o?) USB connection is getting better latencies but I wouldn't think this is a major reason to upgrade unless you're on a Firewire interface (esp. on OSX) and really need ultra low latency for processing external signals (combined round trip latency in other words) and DSP that this & the fireface UC provide over USB.
Old 4th November 2010
Gear Head

i have a silly question - it says the babyface has 22 channels..

but how can you use them? the breakout cable only has 2 or 4 i guess.. at least not 20!

so you need an adi? like this: ADI-8 QS or can you use other ad da converters from other manufacturers?
Old 4th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoloss View Post
i have a silly question - it says the babyface has 22 channels..

but how can you use them? the breakout cable only has 2 or 4 i guess.. at least not 20!

so you need an adi? like this: ADI-8 QS or can you use other ad da converters from other manufacturers?
10 Input / 12 Output channels
2 x Analog Input
4 x Analog Output
1 x ADAT I/O or 1 x SPDIF I/O optical
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Head

It's now available to order.

Ships next week.

Search 'RME' here : SFB Electronics - Main page
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Addict

pres, converters

FWIIW I have been up and down this question with many interfaces - bottom line is as the pro's say: Think mic>pre>converter. I have gotten great quality with everything from DPA/Millennia/Apogee to Beyer/Tascam. I have a Tascam 144 that is solid as a rock in both mac and windows, pump a great mic into it and it sounds really very good, totally usable.
Old 6th December 2010
PTS
Here for the gear

Sorry for such a newbie question, but if an interface has 192 kHz AD/DA converters, would listening lossless music using my laptop > babyface > great pair of headphones sound pretty incredible?

At the moment I record music on a very modest system, so am looking at the babyface as the next step up.

Also, I was looking into getting kitted out with some audiophile quality hardware for everyday listening to lossless quality music files.

If I can kill two birds and it does both, that'd be great! I'm wondering if the babyface would have to have a great amp built in for it to be effective for the latter though?
Old 6th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTS View Post
Sorry for such a newbie question, but if an interface has 192 kHz AD/DA converters, would listening lossless music using my laptop > babyface > great pair of headphones sound pretty incredible?
The 192k wouldn't matter, since your source music is probably 44.1k. However, really good D/A converters would help. Until someone test's the headphone amp built into the BabyFace, it's hard to say whether your setup would sound "incredible". But if you have a "great pair of headphones" and a really good headphone amp, the Babyface OUGHT to be able to supply a really nice signal to drive them. The built-in amp might be excellent, but nobody that I know of has heard it yet.
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123 View Post
Looks like a nice kit... but I'm still wondering it it would be an up, down or lateral movement from my Multiface. I guess I'll have to wait to hear/see. heh

Thanks for sharing.

Dennis
what do you hope to gain?

The Multiface is getting a little long in the tooth, but it works today as well as it ever did. I sold mine and bought a Fireface800 to use for portable work. I just sold the FF800, because I no longer need the portability. The FF800 also has a number of features missing from the Multiface. So does the Babyface. So it really depends upon what you need. If you don't need the additional features, keep what you have or look into a serious upgrade, like better converters for the Multface ADAT I/O.
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Maniac

patiently waiting for some credible reviews aka. gearslutz!
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretch View Post
patiently waiting for some credible reviews aka. gearslutz!
Same here. I noticed that sometime in the last couple of months they dropped the specs on the preamp gain from 65db (like the Fireface & UFX) to 60db. Must be a bus-powered issue. Makes me nervous about using it with my SM7 where I need about 55db of good clean gain to give me a strong enough signal to be useful. Hopefully the Babyface will do good in that department. I love the idea of a little portable interface that can be jacked into a good AD/DA via ADAT for studio work.
Old 15th December 2010
PTS
Here for the gear

What's the release date?
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Babyface in Transit

Here's an update. I've been tracking mine. It's set to arrive tomorrow; er, make that today.

Last edited by sparkyo; 15th December 2010 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Looked at the clock.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Got It!

Picked mine up today! The box looks just like in the video posted earlier in the thread from Australia. I just got home from work so I haven't used it yet.
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Babyface Here!

Just wanted you folks to know that at least one unit in the US is in a customer's hands!
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyo View Post
Just wanted you folks to know that at least one unit in the US is in a customer's hands!
Would you quit teasing us and tell how it works?!

j/k, I'm looking forward to you experience with it.

~Jay
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

WOW

damn babyface looks good....
Very interested in latency on Pc.......
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyo View Post
Would you care to post some audio examples?

Keen to hear those pres and converters.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

If it's from RME it HASTA Be GOOD!!!
Old 25th December 2010
3 days more and a silver one is finally here. And waiting to see how it works along with the sm7b, too.

Lots of tests to be done actually due to the lack of info, specifications... I will test it against a 003.

Many months waiting for this since they announced the availability and many problems with the distributors. Hope the sound and stability worth the continuous delays in the distribution. I got 30 days to return it back if it doesn't do the job as expected.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have it for a week now, no stability problems ( XP ), RME quality and the silver is just so beautiful and elegant!
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

opinions about preamps and converters? Are comparable with Duet converters?
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
I have it for a week now, no stability problems ( XP )
Nice to know did you have to download the latest drivers?
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_gato View Post
Nice to know did you have to download the latest drivers?
Sure
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

review

here is a usefull review of babyface:

RME Babyface Review : USBaby - Audiofanzine

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search