The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Maniac

So wait....does anyone know when this thing is being released?
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
The latency for Mac is amazing - 14 samples = 1ms. Seems to be built for running something like Ableton on a MBP at a gig and then take your rig home and use your preamps with adat option or running Guitar Rig. Brilliant!
Where do you find those latency figures?
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassSaxMan View Post
rme hope during the summer.
Old 8th April 2010
Here for the gear

Phantom power available?

Seeing that it is designed to be portable and stuff, will the device have phantom power for use with condenser mics?
Old 12th April 2010
Here for the gear

This is very exciting news! Does anybody know if I can bypass the preamps on this thing, in case I wanted to use other ones?

Thanks!
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Addict
Is this basically a RME Fireface UC with a different form factor ? I mean, can we expect the same performance ? (Both based on the new Hammerfall).
Old 21st April 2010
Here for the gear

i loved using the RME FF 400 on my windows machine. When I switched to Mac 100% I kept my RME FF 400, and this babyface looks amazing! But will i get an advantage using a Duet tho? (Specifically a Mac specific advantage)

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Nut

looks nice, but I'd prefer 4 line outputs proper, for processing stereo material through hardware. I may still buy it and use the headphone output for this.
also the pricing seems to be rather expensive compared to the FF400 and FFUC models.

but being an RME you know it will be total quality.

Old 10th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassSaxMan View Post

Sorry for resurection this one, but Thomann says 25.5.2010:
RME BABYFACE - U.K. International Cyberstore

Are Thomann being optimistic?
Old 19th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhama View Post
Sorry for resurection this one, but Thomann says 25.5.2010:
RME BABYFACE - U.K. International Cyberstore

Are Thomann being optimistic?
now is available "on request"
Old 26th May 2010
Location / Field Recording

I'm right in thinking there's no way to connect this to an iPod Touch or iPad, yeah? So, ruling Apple out completely, are there any ultra mobile PCs that I could combine with the Babyface to make a location recording solution that could compete with a Nagra or Sound Devices recorder? I guess it would need to have 2 USB ports - one for power, one for audio.
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit View Post
now is available "on request"
I have not seen any one else have any date. I don't think they are optimistic I think is more of a fraud. But lot of shops have them in their product list now so it can't be more than a few weeks away before they ship the first units. I think they will be hard to get until august. But how knows, they maybe have found a serious problem and then we might wait for months...
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm in the US, but I've noticed with other product vendors who I'm familiar with, once there's a SKU and MSRP available at the distributors for Thomann to refer to, things tend to show up on their webshop for preorder. Maybe they're being optimistic but they've done this for at least several years now so it's not really RME's 'fault' or etc.
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

It says 1 sold? (sales unit) which is strange. thomann have such bad customer service - it took me months to get my money back for something.

Back on track, something hit me - do these have coaxial spdif input?? It says optical adat but nothing about coaxial. I want to digitally connect my API a2D to it so this may not look like the unit for me :(
Old 2nd June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
It says 1 sold? (sales unit) which is strange. thomann have such bad customer service - it took me months to get my money back for something.

Back on track, something hit me - do these have coaxial spdif input?? It says optical adat but nothing about coaxial. I want to digitally connect my API a2D to it so this may not look like the unit for me :(
Sales unit is probably the quantity you need to buy not the total sale. Since it cant be bought the total should have been zero :-) They had the 15 july for a short time as estimated delivery date. But its back to gray...
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgadd View Post
thomann tells again 15.july...
And now 13 august. They did not make it...
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Addict
So.... release date ?
Old 4th August 2010
I.P
Gear Nut

id love an A/B comparison with the duet

no price tag / no build quality / no numbers of IO

Just let the converters talk alone heh
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Such a shame these don't have coaxial input...how could they not include one? With so much i/o and coax missing it's dealbreaker for me. Sadly, i won't be buying one. I'm sure RME could have just added it onto their breakout cable..
Old 15th August 2010
Gear Head

19th august on thomann now. Having ordered 2 months ago, I hope that it's the final date...
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Addict
Showing August 30, 2010 now....
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Head

Now it says "available at short notice (usually 2-5 days)"
Old 26th August 2010
Lives for gear

Forget about those release dates listed with retailers, there is no official date from RME.

According to Matthias Carstens on the RME forum everything is ready, but because they aim for a good (inexpensive) price they had the chassis build in China. Problem is that the end-result did not meet RME's approval (quality standard), but a new production run is on the way now.
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Any news on this?
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Supposed to be out next month. This time it seems for real.
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Where do you find those latency figures?
On their web page : RME: Babyface

Quote:
The Babyface achieves latency values down to 48 samples on Windows and 14 samples on Mac OS X.**

* The Babyface is compatible to USB 3 chipsets.

** Minimal latencies are not guaranteed as they depend on the specific computer and application.
Ha ! I wonder what's the configuration to get that 14 samples latency... Probably nowhere near that on a laptop.
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Head

waiting patiently for this to come out...

How's RME's track record for first production runs? I.e., is it a bad idea to buy the product when it first comes out? (As can be the case for other manufacturers...)
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Ha ! I wonder what's the configuration to get that 14 samples latency... Probably nowhere near that on a laptop.
Since the Fireface UC can do it on C2D Macbook Pros (2008/09) the Babyface wont be any much different. It's not like you run full fledged mixes at 14 samples, but you can do simple stuff like running a voice or guitar through some FX.

The UC starts with a higher safety-buffer to begin with on OS X compared to Windows though and I expect the BF to be alike.
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

RME and their international distributor Audio AG have decided to postpone the shipment of the eagerly awaited Babyface to November 2010.
After having carefully examined more than twenty versions of housings and coatings, it became clear that with the current housing the product will not meet the quality that RME customers expect. While the interior of the Babyface has been fully functional and ready for assembly for weeks, including fully functional and stable Windows and Mac drivers, the housing was not.
RME and Audio AG therefore jointly decided to change the housing of the Babyface from plastic to metal. The Babyface will be a solid piece of aluminum - and the price will stay the same.
We apologize to our customers for the delay, but think that the improved aluminum housing is worth the additional wait.

Max Holtmann
Junior Product Manager RME

full alu, **** yeah!
Old 9th October 2010
Gear Head

interesting..

compared to Motu Ultra mk3 hybrid, whats the better solution for just a stable good sounding interface?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search