The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Please change the horrible shade of blue!!!!
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne View Post
Please change the horrible shade of blue!!!!
If it won't slow down release I would have to agree it is a little ugly

Jazztone
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear
When I saw the title of this thread I honestly thought "Oh GOD, plug ins are one thing but NOW they are making signature hardware versions?!?!"

then I was honestly relieved to learn this was not a Kenny "BabyFace" Edmonds signature RME model

Carry on...
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

I like it. I think I'll get one for my laptop when it comes out. RME makes good stuff so I'm sure it should be pretty good.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Head

duet in ugly
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict
Silly question since no one has really had a chance to play with this thing.... what kind of quality can we expect from these preamps ? Same as the Fireface UC ? This will be a dealbreaker for me. I'd like the best all in one solution available at this time, that works on a PC and isnt priced like a Orpheus.

Steve
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah guess they didn't BETA test the color

But how does it SOUND?

Wonder if it's on the level of conversion that the 800 was/is?

And I guess we have another incredibly ugly and messy snake of wires coming out of it like the Duet.

Why couldn't they make this a rack mount?????? How much more would it have added to the cost?

Still interesting though to me, as I'm looking to go up from the Duet to something with digital ins and outs without going all the way to Ensemble...

TH
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear
That is the real question for me. THE SOUND. The feature set is very cool. However the Apogee Duet broke the price performance barrier. Even the new Mackie series is very good! At 88.2 either of the above units will put out very pro audio! If this plays in that league or surpasses it I will be the first in line because neither The Duet or Onyx 820I has digital I/O

Jazztone

P.S. Screw the color I make music with freq. of sound wave not light.....
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict
looks amazing. i wish i knew this was coming a couple months ago when i built my new DAW.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

This thing looks interesting. I think it's getting compared with the duet because of the shape... that's about the only thing they have in common. This thing craps all over the duet feature-wise (hardware and software). I should know, I have (and love) a Duet. One youtube clip showed the breakout cable RME uses. It makes the Apogee one look like it's from M-Audio. If this thing sounds comparable to the Duet, it's getting replaced in a heartbeat. WAY more flexible mobile solution imho.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Saw the clip, it still has about a 5 inch breakout cable, meaning a lot of useless cable hanging around the desktop. Too short.

TH
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Comes with an extender cable as well.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne View Post
Comes with an extender cable as well.
Ah, smart. Very cool!

TH
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear
I have not found the spec for AD converters yet. Anyone?
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Nut

SOS: "but if your band comes along and you need more channels you have ADAT ports. Which is very unusual on a small interface"

RME Spokesman: "yeah, but on the other hand I don't know why the others don't have it. I mean...." [Laughs]

Take THAT Apogee Duet!

RME is throwing down the glove!!

I love my duet - but this babyface has my interest piqued.
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynhero View Post
SOS: "but if your band comes along and you need more channels you have ADAT ports. Which is very unusual on a small interface"

RME Spokesman: "yeah, but on the other hand I don't know why the others don't have it. I mean...." [Laughs]

Take THAT Apogee Duet!

If I used the digital IO on this for a guitar processor, would the system then need to be clocked some way? I can never get that straight...

TH
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
Silly question .... what kind of quality can we expect from these preamps ? Same as the Fireface UC ?
it is a silly question

seriously? what kind of preamps can you expect in a unit of this size and of this ilk? you want input/output trannies in something this size? discreet maybe?

i've used pert near all these "lil things" out there and they give me exactly what i'd expect from an ic based preamp chip. expectation can be a bitch
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Will a USB 3.0 controller bring any benefits to the Babyface over USB 2.0?
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Maniac

??!!!

When is this coming out?

I was literally going to order a Duet TOMORROW, but this looks interesting.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict
so, you are saying that all small footprint pre's perform exactly the same ?
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Addict

come to think of it, it seems like a poor mans ULN2. Similar connectivity options (2 analog i/o, pres, adat, spdif, midi, headphone, di) plus and extensive dsp mixer with processing. Probably the MH is a legue or two above in terms of quality and depth of product both hardware and software. But this could offer a similar somewhat more humble solution.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
come to think of it, it seems like a poor mans ULN2. Similar connectivity options (2 analog i/o, pres, adat, spdif, midi, headphone, di) plus and extensive dsp mixer with processing. Probably the MH is a legue or two above in terms of quality and depth of product both hardware and software. But this could offer a similar somewhat more humble solution.
It works in Windows... Why on earth do MH exclude such a big market group?
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats H View Post
It works in Windows... Why on earth do MH exclude such a big market group?
so they can concentrate on giving their users on macs the absolute best product and suport they can. Catering to pc users may make that harder or impossible, seeing as MH are quite a small company that puts out a great quality product for pro use on the mac. I guess I should've said "if you're on a mac" this kinda provides a poor mans uln2, in terms of functionality and mobility.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrraaalllfff View Post
so they can concentrate on giving their users on macs the absolute best product and suport they can. Catering to pc users may make that harder or impossible, seeing as MH are quite a small company that puts out a great quality product for pro use on the mac. I guess I should've said "if you're on a mac" this kinda provides a poor mans uln2.
I have DAWs with both Windows and MacOS, though some audio applications that I use are only on Windows (Sound Forge, Sonar, Izotope RX). Which kinda puts me off buying a MH ULN-8.

I really like RME hardware and my Fireface 800 has excellent drivers. My only concern is that I'd like a more portable setup than my current 6u rack. This audio interface might be nice for a small 10 ch input setup with an ADAT equipped 8 channel preamp. With a D/A converter, one could do simple FOH in addition to recording, with a midi controller and a 2u case.
Old 29th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynhero View Post

Take THAT Apogee Duet!

I've been using my duet for years now. This thing is not even out. Please have some perspective.

Nobody has even tried it to know if it's got a decent pre-amp and adc... and that's what people buy when they buy a duet.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafonso View Post
I've been using my duet for years now. This thing is not even out. Please have some perspective.

Nobody has even tried it to know if it's got a decent pre-amp and adc... and that's what people buy when they buy a duet.
This is correct. The duet sounds great. But lack of separate volume control for headphones and monitors, and lack of additional digital i/o was a slightly big mistake on apogees part. Spdif and two separate volumes would have made it 3 or 4 times as awesome, and would probably not have been a big deal to include from a manufacturing and cost standpoint. But it's not there.
But as I said before, the only thing this RME thing has in common with the duet is the shape. It's a totally different kind of audio interface as far as connectivity and sheer number of ins and outs. And it's usb, not FW. It's not an apples to apples comparison... even if both are shaped like apples.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WB1984 View Post
When is this coming out?

I was literally going to order a Duet TOMORROW, but this looks interesting.
It took about half year for the Fireface UC to go from announcement to shipment. I don't know if this the normal procedure for RME though. An there are no specifications on it's analog performance yet so I don't expect it to
be released too soon. End of August maybe?
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Addict
From RME :

the preamp as such is the same as used in FF400, FF UC, and Micstasy, the PGA 2500.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
so, you are saying that all small footprint pre's perform exactly the same ?
exactly? ah, no. but i will tell you that the degrees of separation between most of these interfaces in respect to both adda and preamps is so minimal that i wouldn't spend a nano sec worrying about it, personally. the ti pga2500 chip is for instance commonly used amongst competitors and in relevance to this thread is used by both RME and Apogee, so take that for what it's worth...

i'll concern myself more with i/o, i/o flexibility and driver stability. there are only a handful of choices in this mid-grade range anyways....
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

The latency for Mac is amazing - 14 samples = 1ms. Seems to be built for running something like Ableton on a MBP at a gig and then take your rig home and use your preamps with adat option or running Guitar Rig. Brilliant!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search