The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 18th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyo View Post
I looked at the thread; I believe they were talking about analog routing, not digital.
Alright, thanks for that.

Now I can pick up the mico and a babyface (if I end up choosing that interface) and just use the mico pres and adc without any hitches - great!.
Old 18th May 2012
Here for the gear

damn I hate the breakout cable
Old 18th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedBack View Post
damn I hate the breakout cable
Yeah, that's the only thing I dislike, but it's not a deal breaker. I just wish RME would make a breakout box or something for it. For now I can just use the extension, tie it under my desk, and reach under when I need to unplug/plug (which shouldn't be often)
Old 17th June 2012
Lives for gear

I made my own breakout panel for my Babyface and put it in a portable rack with my Audient ASP008. Now all connectors are on the back. Since I don't care for midi, I only put XLR connectors for the inputs and outputs, as well as a headphone jack. I'll mark these later on. The last two male XLR outputs are not connected to anything yet.

10 inputs with preamps, two headphone jacks - all in a very portable package. I can bring this on public transportation with a bag of mics/computer/cables and a mic stand bag and make decent surround sound recordings with several spot mics.
Attached Thumbnails
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX-img_2784.jpg   NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX-img_2785.jpg   NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX-img_2787.jpg  
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

That's a very cool break out box Nice one!
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
That's a very cool break out box Nice one!
Thanks! Now soldering the DB15 connector was a pain in the rear...
Old 31st January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam123 View Post
Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I'm really sorry for the stupid question.

I bought a babyface but I have no idea how to you this TotalMix software.
I was able to listen to the my songs as a soundcard but I can't pass the input to my headphone to monitor my voice while singing.
You need to switch to "Matrix" view, which makes it easy to see and assign which hardware inputs will be assigned to hardware outputs. It's very intuitive once you get the concept, you just click on the matrix. Basically you will want all ins to go to main outs 1-2 and phones out as well, for latency free monitoring.

Having said that, I am sure I will have a "Doh!" moment when someone can tell me what the "AS" inputs stand for? "AN" is analog, "ADAT" is obvious, what is "AS"?

Also, someone mentioned that you can't use the internal plugins for mixing. I think you can because you can loop back up to 6 channels, internally. So you can output to a channel, apply the effect, and loop back into your daw. I just got mine yesterday and will try it. Should be good for applying FX to VI's as well.

The Total Mix view is quite tiny and hard on my eyes, but amazingly versatile.

I was given a budget to get something in this price range. Originally wanted the Apogee Quartet, but too expensive, also the connections on the back are a pain. Considered the Duet, but decided the BF is more versatile and worth the extra money. Still learning this new version of Total Mix (I had a FF long ago but it was much simpler with no FX sends, etc). The BF sits nicely on the desk and is very small considering all it does. The breakout cables are a pain but much easier to travel with than a box.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post

Having said that, I am sure I will have a "Doh!" moment when someone can tell me what the "AS" inputs stand for? "AN" is analog, "ADAT" is obvious, what is "AS"?
Adat/Spdif!
Old 31st January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeptus minor View Post
Adat/Spdif!
Meaning S/PDIF over TOSLINK?

Anyway, "DOH!"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search