The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FX Audio Interfaces
Old 24th August 2011
Here for the gear

NEW: RME BabyFace with new Total Mix FXThis seller just accepted an offer of $649.00.

That's the lowest price I've seen so far.

*EDIT: I have no affiliation with that seller, btw. I'm just shopping for a babyface.
Old 2nd November 2011
Anyone know of PC brands or specific motherboard brands that have problems with the BabyFace? Or ones that are known to work the best?

It's time to replace my old, giant desktop and PCI audio interface. The BabyFace sounds like a winner, and I'd like to get a really small desktop to go with it - something along the lines of the Dell "small form factor" line, HP Slimline, or Lenovo H-series, etc.

I don't need PC opinions in general, I deal with that stuff every day at my job. I'm just looking for specific info about compatibility with the RME BabyFace. Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post

I don't need PC opinions in general, I deal with that stuff every day at my job. I'm just looking for specific info about compatibility with the RME BabyFace. Thanks!
PC's for audio need special considerations, general knowledge about PC's may be insufficient. Being a USB 2.0 device, the Babyface works virtually on every PC without any special adjustment. But you'll have to check for DPC latency first and make sure your machine doesn't "spike." My suggestion: forget about commercial models, build your own with high-quality components best suited to digital audio.
Old 2nd November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Being a USB 2.0 device, the Babyface works virtually on every PC without any special adjustment.
That's good to know. I briefly experimented with a USB audio interface last year and had nothing but problems (mainly, really bad ground-loop noise). So I gave up and went back to my old PCI card.

Quote:
My suggestion: forget about commercial models, build your own with high-quality components best suited to digital audio.
I've built my last 3 PCs, but they've all been full-size cases. The idea just doesn't excite me at the moment, especially trying to piece together a Mini ITX box that both works well and looks decent. I really want something small this time.

My audio needs haven't grown much in the past 10 years. I never wind up with a ton of tracks per song and I don't use that many plug-ins. So, as far as a processor goes I figured a new i5 would perform at least as well as my 6-year-old Athlon-whatever. Maybe I should just get a new Mac Mini server.
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
So, as far as a processor goes I figured a new i5 would perform at least as well as my 6-year-old Athlon-whatever. Maybe I should just get a new Mac Mini server.
The cost difference between i5/2500k and i7/2600k is only $90. In terms of performance, it's well over 30%. A mac mini wouldn't hold a candle to either one.
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Well, I just bought one and the moment I played a good recording of Beethoven's 9th (that I heard a zillion time) and then some stuff I was working on I knew it was a good investment. I had not much need for the pres but I wanted the best converters possible for under 800$ and this seemed the only viable option.

The image, coupled with the Neuman KH120a monitors is extremely focused and reach the middle of the field very well.

The frequency clarity is great across the entire range; the highs impressed me at first but it didn't take long until I realized everything was more precise than what I'm used to.

BTW the drivers are smooth and everything is functioning as it should. Even the blue color looks better than I had expected.

yay!
Old 9th November 2011
I have dreams that Im tracking/listening to playback with a babyface......only to awake to the harsh reality of debt,and owning only an Edirol/cake UA25-EX
Old 9th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
I have dreams that Im tracking/listening to playback with a babyface......only to awake to the harsh reality of debt,and owning only an Edirol/cake UA25-EX
RME: Home

They just announced Babayface "Snow Edition". Only 1500 units will be made and sold.

Wish your Santa delivers one for you.
Old 9th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
RME: Home

They just announced Babayface "Snow Edition". Only 1500 units will be made and sold.

Wish your Santa delivers one for you.
Mmmmm, OK. Pretty sure sooner or later there will be black one too. Must be a German thing... heh
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Mmmmm, OK. Pretty sure sooner or later there will be black one too. Must be a German thing... heh
Well they make different color iPods and iPhones. So it can't be German.
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Just bought one for 430 euro. Can't wait to play with. Hope I won't sell it soon
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear
With all the issues I'm reading about in the Apogee Duet 2 thread. I'm glad I got the Babyface. It's rock solid and stable driver wise. Never had an issue with it And I'm blown away by the low latency performance.

Is there anyone with both units who has been able to compare the two. e2
Old 13th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
With all the issues I'm reading about in the Apogee Duet 2 thread. I'm glad I got the Babyface. It's rock solid and stable driver wise. Never had an issue with it And I'm blown away by the low latency performance.

Is there anyone with both units who has been able to compare the two. e2
I was also hesitating but decided to go with RME and do not regret it one bit.

The low latency is amazing, sound output is truly amazing, Total Mix routing with the loopback and submixes possibilities is amazing.

The Adat i/o may also be useful eventually. And I haven't even tried the pres yet...!
Old 13th November 2011
just tried out the Logic Benchmark on a Babyface in a local store's MacPro 2.26 Nehalem

*32buffer

At least 30 tracks without choking. I was impressed considering it's just USB2.
RME is definitely on the very top in my book when it comes to low latency, stability and excellent drivers, I use an AIO in my main DAW.
Now the converters are a different story, but that's somewhat of a moot point for an all-in-one card.
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear
Duet 2 vs Babyface

Old 17th November 2011
All right vid.Make sure to zoom to the halfway mark [22 mins long] for the babyfacts,makes me want to buy, Even more[if that is possible]Good one
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear
I recently started using my wife's super-talented chamber ensemble in my soundtrack work and I needed a mobile interface to record their rehearsals (my studio is too small to accommodate them.) So, I added a Babyface to my rig (which includes another RME interface, the Fireface UC.) The rehearsal room is acoustically treated and the recordings I got are so phenomenal, I don't even need to go to a proper recording studio to record the final product anymore. Best $700 I've spent in years.
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear
Old 16th May 2012
Here for the gear

One question:

If I were to use the Audient Mico for a preamp and adc, and plugged it into the babyface by TOSlink, would I completely bypass the babyface's preamps and converters?
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

@Sauve Premis

Yes, the digital input bypasses the preamps and input converters. Obviously, the D to A converter of the Babyface can be used to play back the audio; but that doesn't affect the audio files in the computer. Is that clear?
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyo View Post
Yes, the digital input bypasses the preamps and input converters. Obviously, the D to A converter of the Babyface can be used to play back the audio; but that doesn't affect the audio files in the computer. Is that clear?
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

I was just confused as I heard that using SPDIF would result in you being forced to go through the preamp (although they claim it doesn't affect the signal any), and was just wondering if TOSlink was the same or not.

Seeing as I can bypass it, I might grab a babyface after all.
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

Preamp???

Yeah, seeing as the preamp couldn't possibly process an incoming digital stream in any usable fashion, whomever told you that bit of conjecture was sadly mistaken. :-)
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyo View Post
Yeah, seeing as the preamp couldn't possibly process an incoming digital stream in any usable fashion, whomever told you that bit of conjecture was sadly mistaken. :-)
Actually - it was RME itself. It's well known that passing it through SPDIF forces the signal to go through the preamps. I just wondered if TOSlink was the same or not.
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

SPDIF vs Optical

Hmm, interesting, I suppose that the preamp could potentially adjust gain to the incoming signal, if necessary. I have seen on Black Lion Audio's Facebook page that they consider the optical I/O superior to SPDIF. In essence, they say optical goes through less processing than SPDIF.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauve Premis View Post
Actually - it was RME itself. It's well known that passing it through SPDIF forces the signal to go through the preamps. I just wondered if TOSlink was the same or not.
Do you have a source, when and where did they say that? The information is very incorrect. In fact they are far more digital inputs than they are physical preamps built into the Babyface. When you use the optical digital input you bypass both the preamps and the AD converters. Also the Babyface only accepts optical inputs and not coaxial.

The only time signal goes through the preamps is when you use the analog inputs. But the preamps themselves are very transparent.
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

Hmm, I think it was here:

RME User Forum / RE: Babyface Preamp Bypass question

Unless he was trying to line the preamp through analogue?
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:

That is exactly what he was doing.
There is no way to route a digital signal through a mic preamp.
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBradley View Post
That is exactly what he was doing.
There is no way to route a digital signal through a mic preamp.
Being a bit if a greenhorn to this, what benefit would analogue do at all, that he wanted to do that? I figured most preamps would have SPDIF as standard.
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Maniac

The benefit of using a different preamp.
Maybe his Focusrite did not have a S/PDIF card:

http://www.focusrite.com/products/mic_pres/isa_one/
Old 17th May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hmm, I think it was here:

RME User Forum / RE: Babyface Preamp Bypass question

I looked at the thread; I believe they were talking about analog routing, not digital.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search