The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Launches Valley People Dyna-mite Plugin! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I'll second that. Here I was thinking that I couldn't possibly need another compressor, but this does incredible stuff. On individual drums it's the smackmaker. On guitars you can get a really "big" sound with this that is harder or impossible to get with other ITB comps.
Yeah, I also thought I wouldn't need another compressor.
Apart from being IMHO unrivaled itb for smack and punch, it's very very versatile in it's functions as gate, expander, deesser and some special things like negative limiting. It's unbelievable Dynamite delivers all these functions so well with so few switches and pots.
The range knob is awesome. The output saturation is yummy
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

Re: Softube Launches Valley People Dyna-mite Plugin!

This one is definitely on my list. I have the hardware and I use it to compress kick drums on every rock session then during mix down use it as an expander on the snare. I hope this comes close to "special" tones you can get out of the hardware version. Also I hope TDM support will be in the future
Old 27th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moore View Post
This one is definitely on my list. I have the hardware and I use it to compress kick drums on every rock session then during mix down use it as an expander on the snare. I hope this comes close to "special" tones you can get out of the hardware version. Also I hope TDM support will be in the future

I haven't used the real deal and can't argument in regards to the faithfullness of the plug-in.
But special tones and smack never heard before itb for sure!
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

Softube Launches Valley People Dyna-mite Plugin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t

I haven't used the real deal and can't argument in regards to the faithfullness of the plug-in.
But special tones and smack never heard before itb for sure!
Can anyone comment on how this plug in compares to the hardware? I used the hardware version that I own the other day as an expander for snare and it was amazing. I did notice a decent amount of noise that was added too though.
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear
I never tried the hw (honestly I do admit that I didn't even know it before the plugin came out.. my bad) but the things this plugin does to drums should be illegal, really.
I can't think about anything that does the same things, the way it smashes things is pretty awesome also used as gate is incredible you can really take the ambience out of pretty much anything. or really isolate kick and snare on a full drumbus and still sound natural.
Aside from that it does sounds pretty analog to me, very organic
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

ok, im REALLY interested in this lil' plugin........a few questions.

It says this was a "distressor of the 80's", so im really interested in using this cause im trying to achieve a CHRIS LORD ALGE type of poppy/snappy upfront snare. We all know his trick is to use a distressor on the snare.....

will this Valley people plugin do the trick? Would it be applied directly on the snare track, or via a buss send and blend it?

anyone who has it, care to share some basic tips/settings as a starting point to get this snare sound?
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear
It doesn't have a mix knob so if you want to blend you just use it in send but when you're getting familiar with the range knob you'll probably just snap it on the channel.

Not only CLA uses Distressors on the snare, I'm sure something like 50% of mixing engineer as well lol, but yeah this will give you the snap you're looking for no problem.

It has no attack and release time, it gives you the result very fast and it's very good sounding, it can seriously smash drums but differently from other plugins i've tried for this task this will actually sound amazing.

Leave the detector type on "average", mode on "limit" and just play with the threshold, adjust range to taste.
Anyway, I advice you to read the manual that is very well done and will explain you a lot, this thing can do a ridiculous amount of useful things in a mix.
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
It doesn't have a mix knob so if you want to blend you just use it in send but when you're getting familiar with the range knob you'll probably just snap it on the channel.

Not only CLA uses Distressors on the snare, I'm sure something like 50% of mixing engineer as well lol, but yeah this will give you the snap you're looking for no problem.

It has no attack and release time, it gives you the result very fast and it's very good sounding, it can seriously smash drums but differently from other plugins i've tried for this task this will actually sound amazing.

Leave the detector type on "average", mode on "limit" and just play with the threshold, adjust range to taste.
Anyway, I advice you to read the manual that is very well done and will explain you a lot, this thing can do a ridiculous amount of useful things in a mix.
thanks man, that was perfect....exactly what i was looking to hear
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds awesome in parallel... My new goto ITB-drumcrusher. Replaced
Uad-1176LN for that. The output clip-saturation sounds incredible!!
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

From the original hardware manual:

"Compressors are seldom used in modern signal processing"..."Some manufactures offer compressor/limiters wherein the compression feature is included as a watered down form of limiting..."

Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Waiting for a quote from Tony on this and a few other Softube plugs. I love my hardware unit but it's become a bit too noisy lately. I'm also hoping that this tool with it's great ability as an expander could save me from the time I usually take to cut out cymbal bleed on Tom & Floor tracks.
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloheim View Post
From the original hardware manual:

"Compressors are seldom used in modern signal processing"..."Some manufactures offer compressor/limiters wherein the compression feature is included as a watered down form of limiting..."

Things changed...
Old 24th July 2010
Lives for gear

just tried it.

It can be a great effect for smashing drums and occasionally
a choice for snare.
However I found the layout to be tricky and the sweet spot of the unit very small - without any attack parameters the unit tends to pump even in the lightest settings - which makes it not too versatile in the end.

The good news is that plugin developers manage to create stuff more and more "punchy".
Now if softube would do a more bread and butter comp. like ssl/neve/api/cranesong I would be all in.

I´m wondering when they will do this instead of releasing all that corner product stuff like tilt, dynamite etc..

A little hint: what about alan smart...
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

So I'm tryin this thing out. Does anyone else find the "Automatic Makeup Gain" in the limit modes to be difficult to work with? It seems to make stuff so soft at low G.R. levels you can't even hear it. Also, it doesn't seem to take the Range control into account, which causes similar problems.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm hearing an extreme form of "pumping", or more to do with Auto Makup Gain, but when limiting, e.g., vocals, the resulting signal fluctuates wildly in volume. I know I still have a lot to learn about the Dynamite, and it has some niche-like qualities, but am I dealing with problems that others are not here?
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloheim View Post
So I'm tryin this thing out. Does anyone else find the "Automatic Makeup Gain" in the limit modes to be difficult to work with? It seems to make stuff so soft at low G.R. levels you can't even hear it. Also, it doesn't seem to take the Range control into account, which causes similar problems.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm hearing an extreme form of "pumping", or more to do with Auto Makup Gain, but when limiting, e.g., vocals, the resulting signal fluctuates wildly in volume. I know I still have a lot to learn about the Dynamite, and it has some niche-like qualities, but am I dealing with problems that others are not here?
Personally I wouldn't use Dynamite for vocals... Maybe in parallel. It's more of an FX compressor and a darn good one!! Try to clip the output for a nice tone!!

Best,

Jamzone
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzone View Post
Personally I wouldn't use Dynamite for vocals...
Yea I know what you're saying, but even when using it to DeEss the issues were popping up.
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

this thing freakin rocks for a snare buss!!!! Totally gets a nice "pop" and "smack" happening!

listen here

im sold.
Old 28th July 2010
Lives for gear

How is the expander feature? I'm looking for something to help me save time cleaning up bleed between Tom & Floor toms. How does it compare to the Digi Expander?
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

anyone using this as a de-esser with good results?

We used to use the hardware as one way back when.
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear
This plugin is simply great, to the same level (if not better!) than their CL1B, bass, vocals, and drums, as a compressor
plus I totally love its color/sat,

As a gate i think it's def the best ITB gate ever made

But for deessing there are much more precise tools, Massey deesser gets used a lot here,
the DSM when there are bigger problems and the good ol' RDeesser still gets the work done
Old 7th November 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
This was one of my big "secret weapons" before I turned "pro." It was a little inexpensive miracle to me. I used to think I was the only one who loved it.

Nobody else seemed to really know about it or if they did, they didn't think much of it. This was fine by me, as you might imagine.

Then I discovered Fugazi were using it too. A lot. It's responsible for helping to shape some of the gluey, surreal, gelatinous, and occasionally explosive sounds on these two records.

It's a fantastic little thing and I'm so glad Softube did it (and I think there's a UA emulation on the way, right?). Totally worth it. For a couple hundred bucks to have this in digital form is a lovely treat.

The big, slightly strange revelation for me is that there have apparently been a lot of other people out there who loved this thing. I used to think I was alone. But now I realize it was kind of a standard tool for a lot of producers and engineers.

It's funny, I thought it was one of my unique techniques, the kind of thing you talk about in Tape Op interviews, etc.

"I discovered this crazy thing..."

- c
Did you use these on the Dismemberment Plan - Emergancy and I record? Doesn't Don have a pair of these in his rack?
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Cue Taio Cruz ......
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
This plugin is simply great, to the same level (if not better!) than their CL1B, bass, vocals, and drums, as a compressor
plus I totally love its color/sat,

As a gate i think it's def the best ITB gate ever made
Sonalksis Ltd.
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, any plans for an AAX version?
Old 14th November 2011
Quote:
Ok, any plans for an AAX version?
You mean like the ones that Softube already released and are mentioned on their homepage?
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
You mean like the ones that Softube already released and are mentioned on their homepage?
Doh! Didn't see that one. Woopsy
Old 14th November 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for your post. I read your post. I really like it.
Old 14th November 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for your post. I read it. I am happy after read it.
Old 14th November 2011
Quote:
Doh! Didn't see that one. Woopsy
heh I was in a wiseass mood yesterday.

Back on topic, I picked up the Dyna-mite last week and it's just killer for gating tom tracks as well as making drum room mics explode. Love it!
Old 14th November 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
heh I was in a wiseass mood yesterday.

Back on topic, I picked up the Dyna-mite last week and it's just killer for gating tom tracks as well as making drum room mics explode. Love it!
Don't forget to try it on a snare mult.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search