The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Launches Valley People Dyna-mite Plugin! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Addict

here's a quick comparison with my dyna-mite vs the softube emulation.

1,2,3 are the different loops, a and b are two different settings

a= avg detection, b= peak detection

http://www.zerodb.de/softube_vs_original.zip

I think they nailed it pretty well! The big difference is the attack.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

I don't want to throw cold water on this, but I've done a bunch of reading on this compressor -- on Gearslutz and elsewhere, and the reviews have generally been not so positive.

You can also buy this used for about $300.00.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by DSpec1; 3rd May 2010 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 3rd May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 View Post
I don't want to throw cold water on this, but I've done a bunch of reading on this compessor -- on Gearslutz and elsewhere, and the reviews have generally been not so positive.

Am I missing something?
Well apparently you can run 340 instances on a 2008 Mac Pro 8-core so that set would you back 340 x $300 = $102000 in the hardware world. Makes this a pretty good deal no? heh

I loved messing around with the hardware version and am looking forward to doing the same with the plugin.
Old 3rd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOR View Post
Well apparently you can run 340 instances on a 2008 Mac Pro 8-core so that set would you back 340 x $300 = $102000 in the hardware world. Makes this a pretty good deal no? heh

I loved messing around with the hardware version and am looking forward to doing the same with the plugin.
No mix needs 340 of these. It's the sort of tool that you barely need twice, if that, on any given mix.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

This was one of my big "secret weapons" before I turned "pro." It was a little inexpensive miracle to me. I used to think I was the only one who loved it.

Nobody else seemed to really know about it or if they did, they didn't think much of it. This was fine by me, as you might imagine.

Then I discovered Fugazi were using it too. A lot. It's responsible for helping to shape some of the gluey, surreal, gelatinous, and occasionally explosive sounds on these two records.

It's a fantastic little thing and I'm so glad Softube did it (and I think there's a UA emulation on the way, right?). Totally worth it. For a couple hundred bucks to have this in digital form is a lovely treat.

The big, slightly strange revelation for me is that there have apparently been a lot of other people out there who loved this thing. I used to think I was alone. But now I realize it was kind of a standard tool for a lot of producers and engineers.

It's funny, I thought it was one of my unique techniques, the kind of thing you talk about in Tape Op interviews, etc.

"I discovered this crazy thing..."

- c
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Hah , those Fugazi albums are killer . nice of you to share their secrets . heh
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
This was one of my big "secret weapons" before I turned "pro." It was a little inexpensive miracle to me. I used to think I was the only one who loved it.

Nobody else seemed to really know about it or if they did, they didn't think much of it. This was fine by me, as you might imagine.

Then I discovered Fugazi were using it too. A lot. It's responsible for helping to shape some of the gluey, surreal, gelatinous, and occasionally explosive sounds on these two records.

It's a fantastic little thing and I'm so glad Softube did it (and I think there's a UA emulation on the way, right?). Totally worth it. For a couple hundred bucks to have this in digital form is a lovely treat.

The big, slightly strange revelation for me is that there have apparently been a lot of other people out there who loved this thing. I used to think I was alone. But now I realize it was kind of a standard tool for a lot of producers and engineers.

It's funny, I thought it was one of my unique tools, the kind of thing you talk about in Tape Op interviews, etc.

- c
Thank you for the insight. It makes it much more clear why Softube developed this emulation.
Old 3rd May 2010
Thumbs up

Great. Softube gets my kudos for recreating this little gem in software plugs.

Old 3rd May 2010
News Desk Editor

Softube Launches Valley People Dyna-mite for Native formats with Introductory Offer

Softube is shipping the Valley People Dyna-mite for native (VST/AU/RTAS). Valley People Dyna-mite is available today at the Softube web shop and at authorized Softube dealers at an introductory price of $229, excl. VAT. The introductory offer will last throughout May and thereafter the price will be $279.

The Valley People Dyna-mite is a unique limiter/expander with options to do gating, ducking, keying and de-essing. For some, the Valley People Dyna-mite is a secret weapon, for others it's a hidden treasure just waiting to be discovered.

The Dyna-mite was designed in the 80's in an ambitious attempt to incorporate the knowledge of previous decades into one swiss army knife solution. From the design comes several innovations like the Valley People proprietary VCA and the Anticipatory Release Computation, which plays a big part in the unique sound of the Dyna-mite.

Today, the Dyna-mite is just as usable as back then, as a problem solver but also very much as a creative tool. Use it as a limiter to squash drums or to get the snap into a bass track. Use it as an expander to enhance the dynamics of a track. Use it in sidechain mode to duck or follow another track. Every application breathes of the Dyna-mite's very special character and inspires to new sounds.

The Softube Valley People Dyna-mite plug-in is the first and only software recreation of the Dyna-mite that is officially endorsed by Valley People.

A fully functional 20 day demo can be downloaded from Softube.

Make sure to watch the Dyna-mite plug-in videos!
Attached Thumbnails
Softube Launches Valley People Dyna-mite Plugin!-dmite_banner_big.jpg  
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOR View Post

Yeah and 10,000 boxes of Rice/a/Roni for $50 is a good deal. Now I just need a place to put them...
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

It looks like the "now available" thread got merged with this one, which is probably a good idea, but I'd love it if there could be a change to the subject as well so people will know it's ready for purchase, demoing, reviews, etc...
Old 3rd May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit View Post
It looks like the "now available" thread got merged with this one, which is probably a good idea, but I'd love it if there could be a change to the subject as well so people will know it's ready for purchase, demoing, reviews, etc...
Done.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Nice, thanks Tony!

Can't wait to hear more impressions about this one...
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Head

i was able to get an almost identical sound with another sw comp, but, i could not do it without i.m. distortion on the low fq..
i can not get that speed of attack and release even with sidechain manipulation without the im..
how do they do it?
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 View Post
I don't want to throw cold water on this, but I've done a bunch of reading on this compressor -- on Gearslutz and elsewhere, and the reviews have generally been not so positive.

Am I missing something?
Okay, I downloaded the demo and tried it out extensively on some mixes.

I now understand. I really like this and I'm a cynical b*st*rd.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

The hardware unit was used by every engineer I worked with for years.

Just got the demo tonight, sounds the same to me. It's a monster. They really did a great job on this...must have...

TH
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben J View Post
Lego rack spacer?
Yup it is what builds up the sound.

Found the pic on the web. heh
Old 4th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan View Post
Yup it is what builds up the sound.

Found the pic on the web. heh
That's my rack!!

The Lego piece is actually a Sher-lock that I bought off the Tape Op board.

As somebody who *HAS* a Dyna-mite but mixes primarily ITB, I'm still considering picking this up. These days I'm more inclined to use software effects than to run something out and then back in -- it's faster, and software plugins seem more up to the task every day. Exciting times for us apartment-dwellers!
Old 5th May 2010
I just got this plug from Tony Belmont & it really sounds great! Fantastic on drums- a great plug-in and a great price! Highly recommended.heh
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear

Is there anyway to turn off the unnecessary dialog box on this plug?
Old 6th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Is there anyway to turn off the unnecessary dialog box on this plug?
Should be a good plugin, but completely useless for Cubase users as you cannot use the external sidechain contained within it. Setting the switch to EXT displays the message EXTERNAL SIDE CHAIN NOT DETECTED! So much for enjoying some ducking/keying with this plugin. If it were VST3 I am sure it would be great, but since it isn't, and Cubase will not allow side chaining any other way, I guess us Steinberg users are out of luck.
Old 6th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
Should be a good plugin, but completely useless for Cubase users as you cannot use the external sidechain contained within it. Setting the switch to EXT displays the message EXTERNAL SIDE CHAIN NOT DETECTED! So much for enjoying some ducking/keying with this plugin. If it were VST3 I am sure it would be great, but since it isn't, and Cubase will not allow side chaining any other way, I guess us Steinberg users are out of luck.
Did u try with the Quadro Group Channel?
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i don't understand why they don't do it vst3.
waves, fabfilter and mpressor do it.
this plug would have been brilliant for vst3 .. go figger ..
(by the way: the "quatro trick" sucks!!! ;-)
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:

+1

Should have included VST3
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
this plug would have been brilliant for vst3 .. go figger ..
I might be wrong about this, but I remember reading somewhere that VST3 is a format that developers loathe to code. I can't remember what the reason was, but I think it's a lot more of a pain in the ass than other formats for some technical reason that went over my head.

I'm trying to remember where I read that, who wrote it, etc.

- c
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
absolute true thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
vst 3 programming isnt rocket science anymore

that info section is very helpful,
but would be cool to have the chance to click it away!

softube again forgot including mousewheel support
Quote:
2+
WORD

Quote:
it sucks big big timefuuck
since im on cubase 4 i aint touch a quad group again
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Head

+1 for VST3 support.

As a cubase user, I will probably wait for that before getting this plugin (which I want so much...). As sweet as it seems even without external keying, it just offers less usability for me.
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I might be wrong about this, but I remember reading somewhere that VST3 is a format that developers loathe to code. I can't remember what the reason was, but I think it's a lot more of a pain in the ass than other formats for some technical reason that went over my head.

I'm trying to remember where I read that, who wrote it, etc.

- c

Well, other developers seem to handle it fine, it seems (Waves, SPL, Fabfilter, ViRSYN etc).

Best,
midi.
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Addict

Hi all!

About VST3 support:

While developing a VST3 interface may not be rocket science in itself, it does add a fair bit of work when combining it with all the different formats that are out there. To that add support, maintenance and testing and the workload piles up. At this time we're prioritizing 64-bit support since we get a lot of user requests for this, far more than for VST3 actually.

We are looking into VST3 though and we will support it in the the future, just need to catch our breath after the 64-bit marathon we're in

I do agree that the "quad trick" is not a very good solution and I'm a bit surprised that there's not a way for VST2 plug-ins to use side chaining in Cubase since it works pretty great in other VST2 hosts. We'll check in with Steinberg and see if there's anything that can be done about that.

While we're on the subject, is there any other features in VST3 that you're missing that we should look into supporting when we're taking the jump?

Quote:
Softube again forgot including mousewheel support
We did not forget about our PC users and every time you ask it gets bumped up on the list, so keep asking!

Cheers,
Torsten
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softube View Post
Hi all!

About VST3 support:

While developing a VST3 interface may not be rocket science in itself, it does add a fair bit of work when combining it with all the different formats that are out there. To that add support, maintenance and testing and the workload piles up. At this time we're prioritizing 64-bit support since we get a lot of user requests for this, far more than for VST3 actually.

We are looking into VST3 though and we will support it in the the future, just need to catch our breath after the 64-bit marathon we're in

I do agree that the "quad trick" is not a very good solution and I'm a bit surprised that there's not a way for VST2 plug-ins to use side chaining in Cubase since it works pretty great in other VST2 hosts. We'll check in with Steinberg and see if there's anything that can be done about that.

While we're on the subject, is there any other features in VST3 that you're missing that we should look into supporting when we're taking the jump?

We did not forget about our PC users and every time you ask it gets bumped up on the list, so keep asking!

Cheers,
Torsten
Thanks a ton for the reply. It is nice to hear that you are supportive of your customers needs, even if what you have to say is not the most ideal for the time being. All I am really wanting is sidechaining, I cannot take advantage of the Dynamite or the CL1B for the reasons that neither support external sidechaining in Cubase which is a huge let down. Is it your fault? Of course not, it is Steinbergs and the way they want Cubase to run, however, you as the plugin developer lose out on the money since I won't pay full price for 80% of the plugins functionality. Once I am able to get external side chain working, I am much more inclined to want to spend my money.

VST3 offers other things such as adjustable GUI size, the ability to turn the plugin off when not needed automatically to save on resources among many other things. I understand it is mainly a Cubase/Sonar/Studio One thing, but since I am a Cubase user I have to watch out for what works best for me fuuck.

Keep up the great work however, and hopefully you can get side chaining working for us Cubase users in the future, as well as mouse wheel support which I would also like since I am so used to it working in my UAD plugins.

Thanks again for the post.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search