The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BIG PROBLEM with New iMac i5 & Protools 8.0.3 Audio Interfaces
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

Exclamation BIG PROBLEM with New iMac i5 & Protools 8.0.3

Hi,

I got:
Imac i5 with snow L 10.6.2
MBOX 2 (USB) with ProTools LE 8.0.3

NOT WORKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The support @ avid/digidesign in France said to me, it’s not working yet with the new iMac ????!!!!!!
I have to wait the next version of ProTools……

It’s really a shame….

Anyone get the same problem ?

Thanks.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

What exactly is not working?

You can't expect anyone to help you fix this if you don't at least provide some info into what you're experiencing.
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

The problem is that ProTools starts, but impossible to open a session.
It freezes just after PT bootup. It shows the PT menus, but just gives you the spinning ball of death.
I'm not sure someone can fix it, if avid/digidesign France support said it's not compatible yet...
But I'm surprise, it looks like I'm alone having a new iMac 27" with Pro Tools LE...
I just wanted to tell it, and to know if someone find any solution...

Thanks.

Mickael.
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

Please, if anyone gets info about this, or when the new version of Pro tools LE is suppose to be available, i would really appreciate...
Thanks.

Mickael.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikathechou View Post
Please, if anyone gets info about this, or when the new version of Pro tools LE is suppose to be available, i would really appreciate...
Thanks.

Mickael.
Mickael - sorry for your problems.

The #1 thing I have learned about computers and DAW's over 10+ years of using them is that never, ever buy a computer to use for an DAW app until the manufacturer approves the hardware and OS. Digi is very meticulous about that. Looks like you'll have to wait awhile. I hope for your sake it happens soon. Good luck.
Old 25th March 2010
Here for the gear

Hi all...

Thanks drBill for your support...

I've tried moving the the USB of the Mbox next to the firewire, (I read it worked for an i7 iMac user) on a brand new system (with the data of the HD @ zero...),and.............................NOT WORKING !!!!

I can create a new session, but when I want to create a track, the death weal...
The crazy thing, is that I get some display problems after that with the computer...
When I restart the computer I've got a double mouse... when I go over the time with the mouse, the arrow of the mouse change for the death weal....?????

It's actually the 5th time I tried different types of installation, with advises of professionals, each time my iMac was totally INSTABLE after the installation of ProTools...

So my conclusion, is that Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 (even the cs1 version, I tried both..) and Snow Leopard are not compatible on new iMac i5 , and it might cause dysfunctions in your system installing ProTools on the machines...

So now I have to reinstall my system....again...

I'm really pissed off because on the compatibility page of digidesign they said:
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard):
Pro Tools Software versions below 8.0.3 are not compatible with Snow Leopard. Pro Tools 8.0.3 is a free update for Pro Tools 8 owners. Version 8.0.3 supports the following Mac OS X versions, on Intel-based Macs only

my system:
New iMac i5
8G
Mbox 2 (usb)
Old 11th April 2010
Old 21st April 2010
Here for the gear

Exclamation you're not alone

Hi, Mikathechou!

You aren't alone having a new iMac 27" with Pro Tools LE...

Same Mac, same problem here ...

Digidesign's answer: wait for update.

:(

Cheers,
Robert
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Well.....I just got a new imac I5 27" running 10.6.2 and I installed PTLE 8.0.3 with an 002R and guess what...........Runs great!

One thing I did not do.......use the wireless keyboard or mouse. I have read there are issues there. Also, I installed my plugins in batches, by brand, and kept restarting and running PT to make sure there weren't any issues.

And, I waited until I was in between projects so I have time to troubleshoot!heh
Old 22nd April 2010
Here for the gear

Thumbs up It works!

Thanks, nanoweber! This workaround is really weird - but it works! I'm switching the Bluethooth state after launching Pro Tools - the wheel of death disappears - on we go. Everything is working fine!

@grevan: I don't use the wireless stuff as well - this can't be the problem. Maybe it's the Mbox 2.

Cheers,
Robert
Old 22nd April 2010
Myr
Gear Addict

I used this as an excuse to buy a Pro Tools keyboard for my iMac
Old 23rd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myr View Post
I used this as an excuse to buy a Pro Tools keyboard for my iMac
That's awesome!!!
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Head

I had a similar issue with my new i7 Macbook Pro and an Mbox Mini. After hours of hair pulling, I discovered that the USB ports are different from each other for some reason. You can only use the front port (closest to you as you're typing) with the Mbox, otherwise it will totally beach your balls.
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Head

*cough* Logic... jk

damn, that sucks, though, you could just use garageband till AVID updates it
Old 16th May 2010
Here for the gear

Why this is happening.

Hi, I bought an I5 2 weeks ago and an M Box 2 a week later. Damn, was I happy. But yeah, it didn't last long. What basically causes this problem is the new USB drivers on I5. The new USB is shared with the bluetooth device, which causes problems for interfaces that run on USB. If you have one that runs on firewire, you won't face this problem.

What you could try though is, while launching ProTools, when you see the loading window, immediately turn bluetooth on and off. This works for some. It's not a sure shot cure, but has worked for some. There is no definite time to do this, some do it immediately when it starts loading, some do it while it's halfway through and some do it towards the end (the green loading bar). It didn't work for me though, but might work for you. No harm trying.

All the best.
Old 4th June 2010
Here for the gear

Smile Thanks for help!

I just purchased a 15" 2.53 Ghz MacBook Pro i5 running OS X 10.6.3 and Pro Tools 8.0.3 (Mbox 2 Mini) and was definitely having issues.

After I moved the USB cable to the slot closest to me and completely turned off bluetooth everything seemed to work fine. Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Great that it worked for you!
Old 6th March 2011
Here for the gear

PT MP 8 Installation problem

I just bought an imac i5 10.6.4 and im trying to install pt mp8 off the cd. it loads all the way up to the installation part then after 1 min of laoding says that theres no information on the cd to install. it works fine on my pc.

If anyone could help me that would be good
Old 26th July 2011
Here for the gear

So, I just bought a new iMac i5 to use with my Digi003 Rack Factory+. Installed ProTools 8. Installation went fine. Opened up PT and got everything loaded. No beach ball. Tried to open an existing .ptf and got the "ProTools has quit unexpectedly" message. Tried to open an existing .ptf. Same thing. I uninstalled and reinstalled ProTools. I disabled bluetooth and hooked up my regular keyboard and wireless mouse. Still a USB connection, but I'm going Firewire out of my 003 into the mac.

I was using the 003 previously on an older MacMini with no issues.

I have to record a VO tomorrow, and I'm in the middle of two other projects, so I'm kind of freaking.

Thanks!
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

If you just bought an Imac, did it come installed with Lion? If so, you'll have to wait til Avid makes Protools compatible with it.

If it's got Snow Leopard on it, then find out which version is on there, and for Protools, make sure you install the latest updates, which I believe is 8.0.5.
Old 27th July 2011
Here for the gear

Yeah, the new iMac has Lion so I'm screwed for now. I have an iMac at my house that's almost 2 years old. I'm going to try running PT on that and use the new iMac as my home computer. I updated my PT software a few months ago, but I'll double check to make sure I have the latest.

My older iMac is running Mac OS X 10.5.8, which I believe is Leopard. I wondering if that will be a problem, too.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 27th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticko View Post
Yeah, the new iMac has Lion so I'm screwed for now. I have an iMac at my house that's almost 2 years old. I'm going to try running PT on that and use the new iMac as my home computer. I updated my PT software a few months ago, but I'll double check to make sure I have the latest.

My older iMac is running Mac OS X 10.5.8, which I believe is Leopard. I wondering if that will be a problem, too.

Thanks for the reply.
Not with PT8 it won't be. Make sure you've got all the 8.0.whatever update - 4 or 5 I think it is?
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey thought I would chime in...I also have a new i5 along with an original MBox and no go. In fact, if I read Avids site correctly the original MBox is no longer supported...does anyone know if I have that correct?
Old 28th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiaudio View Post
Hey thought I would chime in...I also have a new i5 along with an original MBox and no go. In fact, if I read Avids site correctly the original MBox is no longer supported...does anyone know if I have that correct?
The original Mbox hasn't been supported for about a year and a half I'm afraid...the good news is that if you upgrade to PT9 (which you probably should do seeing as you're running Lion) then you can use any interface.
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Except that he can't do the crossgrade because the original Mbox does not qualify.

He'll have to buy the full version of PT9.
Old 29th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Except that he can't do the crossgrade because the original Mbox does not qualify.

He'll have to buy the full version of PT9.
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to imply it would.
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for all of your input - I do appreciate your help!

Yeah, I am dumping Pro Tools - they're not going to get another penny from me. Even though the original MBox has been dropped they didn't mention this when I gave them my money for 8.0. But now, even though I don't need their crappy hardware dongle to operate the software, I can't 'upgrade' to 9.0 without buying the total package AGAIN...what a bunch of crap. I mainly work on a platform that simply works, Digital Performer. With MOTU I get software that is stable, is more functional and simply works without all of Avid's lengthy delays in OS compatibility...heck they've only 'approved' Pro Tools for Mac OS 10.6.4, don't they know about 10.6.5...10.6.6...10.6.7...10.6.8 and now 10.7? Sorry since they are the 'Industry Standard' and more than likely have the largest development team out of all the DAW's you'd think they would 'approve' OS's faster than everyone. Yet Digital Performer was Lion compatible a week after release.
Old 29th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiaudio View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your input - I do appreciate your help!

Yeah, I am dumping Pro Tools - they're not going to get another penny from me. Even though the original MBox has been dropped they didn't mention this when I gave them my money for 8.0. But now, even though I don't need their crappy hardware dongle to operate the software, I can't 'upgrade' to 9.0 without buying the total package AGAIN...what a bunch of crap. I mainly work on a platform that simply works, Digital Performer. With MOTU I get software that is stable, is more functional and simply works without all of Avid's lengthy delays in OS compatibility...heck they've only 'approved' Pro Tools for Mac OS 10.6.4, don't they know about 10.6.5...10.6.6...10.6.7...10.6.8 and now 10.7? Sorry since they are the 'Industry Standard' and more than likely have the largest development team out of all the DAW's you'd think they would 'approve' OS's faster than everyone. Yet Digital Performer was Lion compatible a week after release.
Fair enough. Do what suits you. I think it's a bit entitled to expect a discount when the last thing you bought was years and years ago, but there you are. If you ask me, PT DOES just simply work - at least, our 12 rigs (plus my own personal 3) do. PT has been approved for 10.6.7 for ages, don't know what you're talking about there! More functional, more stable...mmm if you say so! don't really get that...

But horses for courses, use what you want and like. Technology moves on, unfortunately my old G4 wasn't supported with PT9 either...but then again, I didn't expect it to be!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search