The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Partitioning a drive with stuff on it
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Partitioning a drive with stuff on it

We are smack dab in the middle of a project. The composer and I both have Lacie 120 gig firewire drives and Macs running 9.1. We also both use Digital Performer 3.

I partitioned my drive into 5 nice chunks, and my computer loves me for it.

She didn't know to do that when she bought hers, and I believe that is the reason that whenever we use her drive, I crash after a few minutes.

She has about 50 gigs of stuff on her drive, older projects that need to be saved. Can I partition her drive without wiping it clean?

Recommended utility?

Thanks.
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

Partition Magic will do that for you....

......but.......

re-sizing a partition without backing it up is not without risk
Old 5th June 2003
Mac Moderator

eerrr.... Partition Magic is for Windows Boxes..... You can't partition a drive that has Data on it (on the Mac) without losing your Data I'm afraid
However. You can get round this by cloning the Drive (if you have OSX on your Mac use Carbon Copy Cloner) to another drive which is partitioned correctly, or copy it back to your source drive once it is re-partitioned.

FWB have some software which I hoped would let partition a drive without losing data.. but it seems not too

Al.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear