The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 9.1.1 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

had to find a way to move around a couple hundred gigs around ( and delete redundant stuff) without buying another hard drive.....but I did it, and I'm backing up now to my usb drive. Hopefully all goes well.

What's the best way to get up to speed on logic? Is the manual decent? Any video recommendations?
Old 18th April 2010
yesterday I had a day from hell I was cutting drums on 6 songs using 12 tracks, with my 4 Motu 1296's and I kept getting disk too slow messages. I switched drives which are SATA drives and it kept happening. Restarted, repaired permissions, it was totally random and cost me money. Also another random thing is this, I turn off automatic naming and automatic management of channel strips and drag an audio file in and it still names tracks when I drag an audio file in.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

"Newly created software instrument tracks now include an EVP88 instrument plug-in by default."

Annoying default behavior. Requires you to replace instrument and also rename track. I don't get it.
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
"Newly created software instrument tracks now include an EVP88 instrument plug-in by default."

Annoying default behavior. Requires you to replace instrument and also rename track. I don't get it.
Tell them about it. I did. Agree, it's dumb.

Apple - Logic Pro - Feedback

TH
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:

Save that particular channel strip preset and then delete the original preset (that is loading by default), it will then be as it was before.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Save that particular channel strip preset and then delete the original preset (that is loading by default), it will then be as it was before.
Still, a needless interruption to workflow...
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

For some reason... after the update, creating new instruments never instantiated EVP88 on my system. I'm not sure why.

-SD
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Tell them about it. I did. Agree, it's dumb.

Apple - Logic Pro - Feedback

TH
Just did. Thanks for the link.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
For some reason... after the update, creating new instruments never instantiated EVP88 on my system. I'm not sure why.

-SD
Maybe "Open Library" is disabled by default in the new version (in the window that lets you create new instruments)?

If it is disabled, the EVP88 won't be instantiated either.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Quote:
Still, a needless interruption to workflow...
...which only needs to be done once...

I do agree this change makes things feel a touch 'garagebandy' for a 'pro/studio' tier product but given the price point and changed in the UI over the years to appeal to newer users I can't say I was surprised. Resaving the preset is just something to add to the list of things to do after an update (rebuild prefs, reload key commands, update templates/autoload etc from a "clean" project in the 'new' version's etc.)
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
...which only needs to be done once...

I do agree this change makes things feel a touch 'garagebandy' for a 'pro/studio' tier product but given the price point and changed in the UI over the years to appeal to newer users I can't say I was surprised. Resaving the preset is just something to add to the list of things to do after an update (rebuild prefs, reload key commands, update templates/autoload etc from a "clean" project in the 'new' version's etc.)
or you can edit the channelstrip to something more useful like an empty EXS.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Either I'm stuck with Worf in a loop (or is it Orbital?) or you missed the quotes...
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
sventvkg, if you can make a new partition for snow leopard only and use that as a test environment before making it 'production live' you can probably answer that question yourself. You can also use CCC (CarbonCopyCloner) or SuperDuper to quickly clone your current Leo drive and perform the update to 10.6 on that, which would tell you exactly how your migration (non-fresh install) would go...
so how would that work exactly? Can i clear off another drive, + just tell it somehow to boot off that drive, or do have to physically swap drives to boot the new os on the clone?
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangible View Post
had to find a way to move around a couple hundred gigs around ( and delete redundant stuff) without buying another hard drive.....but I did it, and I'm backing up now to my usb drive. Hopefully all goes well.

What's the best way to get up to speed on logic? Is the manual decent? Any video recommendations?
macProVideo.com - Streaming Tutorial-Videos & HD Training Downloads for Audio, Graphics, & Video Editing Software
Learn Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live and more - Training and Tutorial Videos

There are a buttload of tutorials on YouTube, search SFLogicNinja

Old 11th May 2010
Gear Addict

+++1. I bought 16 macprovideo tutorials and they are all worth every penny. If you sign up for an account, they often send out 25-33% off coupons that make them no brainers.

Spent more on tutorials than on Logic itself lol!
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
Quote:
sventvkg, if you can make a new partition for snow leopard only and use that as a test environment before making it 'production live' you can probably answer that question yourself. You can also use CCC (CarbonCopyCloner) or SuperDuper to quickly clone your current Leo drive and perform the update to 10.6 on that, which would tell you exactly how your migration (non-fresh install) would go...
so how would that work exactly? Can i clear off another drive, + just tell it somehow to boot off that drive, or do have to physically swap drives to boot the new os on the clone?
Pardon if I'm lengthy, I can only say 'exactly' as it applies to me.

First I should say that with OSX you can use Disk Utility to easily 'backup' any existing partition to a .dmg and then to 'restore' that where you want, mark it as the boot drive etc (all in Disk Utility.) But both CCC & SD can do this and more, and they can make the OS clone without the in-between step of doing the dmg. It's important to make sure you're using the "Data Only" mode (not sector cloning) so you're only copying the 80GB you actually use of the 200GB (or whatever) partition being cloned (speeds things up a lot.) There's more advanced features for both CCC & SD that can help you do even more, but the basic process of cloning a drive is pretty simple and well documented for both.

Beyond that I have to admit that I have my own partioning schemes, backup/testing methods, volume naming and such on all of my machines so they relate specifically to my workflow (I've used cloning/imaging via ghost/driveimagexl and vm related tasks for years.) So I'm not sure this is what I'd recommend for anyone else per se, but since you asked here's my reasoning and methods for OSX, starting with some basic magnetic drive usage as it applies to *my disk loads*:

I tend to use the "end" of magnetic drives for 'low access archival' stuff as it presents a less frequent/lower load to the physical parts, the middle of the drive is for stuff that isn't disk intensive (1 partition for below 640GB, probably 2 for 1-2TB) and the beginning of drives for my 'main' usage for that drive. So I have a 'main' OS drive, a 'work' drive for projects and my 3rd drive is 'samples' drives, for the 'main' usage. The extra partitions used are used for other tasks including that 'swap' testing partition. Note that I avoid going over 60-75% on any given partition, regardless of how Apple feels about disk tuning I've found this to prolong drive life on any platform.

Desktop partitioning/testing scheme

My primary 'boot' for OSX desktop usage is 500GB, I have it partitioned into 3 partitions (200GB/200GB/100GB):
  • Partition1 on 'main OS drive' = 10.5.8m with all user data & apps etc. Logic loops and all other sample content for large libraries is on my samples drive so it's only around 80GB-120GB (with lots of other apps installed.) This is still my primary 'work' partition as I still haven't had a chance to shift to the snow leopard partition (I think it's past due now though.)
  • Partition2 on 'main OS drive' = = 10.6.3, which is my snow leopard 'in progress' main install. I'm not a huge fan of migrating settings so it started from a fresh install to that partition. I had been waiting for drivers and all my software to be working "better" on 10.6 before I 'make the move' but I think that point passed 2-3 months ago so now I just need time to finish existing projects and move anything I've not yet handled over. When I do move fully to 10.6.x on this machine I'll swap these partitions (10.5/10.6) around until I'm confident I haven't "left anything behind" on the older OS install, and then repartition from there to make more room for 10.6 (or move to an SSD or who knows.)
  • Partition3 on 'main OS drive' = Archival, just storage for things like stored installers/updaters, wallpaper, some darwin/bsd apps that I play with (tiny disk load) and other related/similar items. This is what I do on almost all of my OSes and I just have a process where I keep everything relatively up to date and back the entire thing up periodically across all machines (to a central storage in the event of drive loss.)

Testing partition
Now the relevant part to TESTING is that I also have a 'Swap' partition where I do my testing of OS updates, new Logic updates or other applications from NI etc (it's also handy to test plugin versions here and so on.) So the 'Swap' partition is where I can use SD/CCC to clone from an existing partition on my 'main' boot drive (either the leopard or snow leopard partition). Once I have run whatever I'm testing through its paces (that can take a few days or even weeks to find the time to purely fiddle around and try to 'break things') I can either reapply the updates or installers however I want to the 'main' OS in question or just clone back (I tend to do the former just because it's often easier.) Time Machine is only in place for my 'main use' OS at the time, as I have little worry about losing anything else. Since the modes available for free/unregistered users in SuperDuper are sufficient for doing this (though brute-force) and the utility is faster with recent versions it's easy to recommend. CCC is excellent and offers most of the unlockable features of SD to experienced users without any burden for registration. You can read more on either at their respective sites to compare advanced functions.

This machine only has 3 physical drives so the 'Swap' partition used for the 'destination'/clone is on a separate SATA drive (one of the middle partitions works great.) This is because cloning across the same drive is slower and a much higher load when done on 2 partitions for the same drive (having to seek back & forth for each copy operation.) SuperDuper is a bit 'easier' than CCC (and more widely discussed online). Also note that this partition can be easily wiped & used for other purposes since it's nature is temporary/transient.

All of this is overkill for a home/project studio, but my income relies on my machine(s) operating during the hours that I work so testing on a different "Swap" partition has saved my butt more than once. I have a similar routine that I use for my 'primary' Windows Xeon box as well though my Xp32/Xp64/Vista64/Win7 partitions *finally* collapsed to a single Win7-64 partition in December with only a "swap" partition on another drive for testing (that machine has 5 SATA drives so there's plenty of flexibility.) I don't really do a lot of testing like this with my other Macs as well, since they're not 'mission critical'. I do insure the laptop is going to stand up during a live performance (nothing goes untested for potential crashing.)
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize that this would change the default for all projects. Is that true?
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Maybe "Open Library" is disabled by default in the new version (in the window that lets you create new instruments)?

If it is disabled, the EVP88 won't be instantiated either.

Good point, I bet this is the reason.

-SD
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

I guess I'm missing something. I can figure out how to disable the open library setting. I tried resaving the evp88, but there is no way to remove the name of the preset automatically from my instruments. I use automatic instrument to track names.

This is annoying. It slows down my creative process just enough to be a disruption.
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Addict

8 bit bug

Anyone have an issue where and audio file in a session suddenly becomes 8-bit and Logic cannot recognize it?
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

I am having more frequent crashes with 9.1.1 than i was with 9.02

I had my whole screen freeze last night during playback. My key commands could still start and stop the session, but the graphics were frozen. Maybe I should go back to 9.02
Old 15th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I guess I'm missing something. I can figure out how to disable the open library setting.
1) Click the "+" button on the Arrange. The "Create Tracks" dialog sheet drops down.

2) Click the "software instrument" radio button.

3) In the bottom left of the dialog sheet, there is a check box labeled "open library." Uncheck this box.

Once you uncheck the box, the new software instrument tracks will not be created with the EVP88. This setting is remembered.

BTW, for new users, this is a good thing. You'd think that new users would be able to figure out that once the track is created, they need to pick an instrument to make sound, but support got a whole lot of calls that "their instrument track doesn't make any sound" because they hadn't picked an instrument. This way, new users get instant sound, and those who are familiar with Logic can either uncheck the box, or they have templates with their chosen instruments already loaded.

Orren
Old 17th May 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Orren

Couldn't find it in the manual. You saved me once again.
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize that this would change the default for all projects. Is that true?
Yes.... and that's a good thing.

On that, do people often find themselves wanting a better starting point with plugins when they open? Easy to do!!! :-) ..and makes workflow quicker and more seamless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search