The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 9.1.1 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4th April 2010
  #121
Lives for gear
 
whinecellar's Avatar
Piano Roll Hyperdraw lane STILL not recalled...

I was thrilled to see this in the 9.1.1. release notes:

"The Hyper Draw lane in the Piano Roll now properly maintains its size when the Piano Roll is closed and then reopened."

...but saddened to see this is NOT working as advertised. I just did a fresh (Combo) update from 10.6.2 > 10.6.3, Logic 9.1.0 to 9.1.1, ProKit 5.1, trashed my Logic prefs, rebooted, etc., and this STILL isn't working, at least on my rig (Mac Pro 2008 Xeon 8 core, 16 GB RAM).

I've spent so far too much of my life resizing that stupid Hyperdraw lane every time I open a Piano Roll window... for crying out loud!!!

Is it truly fixed for anyone?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by whinecellar; 5th April 2010 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: updated from Logic 9.1.0 (not 9.0.2) > 9.1.1
Old 4th April 2010
  #122
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
Is it truly fixed for anyone?
It is completely fixed for me.

How exactly are you going about viewing it? Key commands, screensets, manually clicking the menus?
Old 5th April 2010
  #123
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome!

Are you updating your setup? What is your system spec?

Mine is:

MP 2x2.8 Quad Xeon
10.6.3
10 GB RAM
L9.1.1

Also, I installed the recent Pro App update. It looks like it took all the combined updates to finally achieve the overall stability I'm having. (The 10.6.3 Combo & Pro App)

Let's hope Apple continues to focus on Logic and not get too reclusive again.


-SD
Old 5th April 2010
  #124
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
Using SL 10.6.3 and Logic 9.1.1 in 64 bit was a bit glitchy till now.
...
The 32 bit bridge has dropped a couple times, but pressing ok, takes a second and away the song goes again.
No Crash!


Later
Same experience here. Logic 9 might now be ready for prime time.
Old 5th April 2010
  #125
Gear Head
 

What does everyone do with the Logic 9.0.0 app file? Do they keep it? I'm not a huge fan of having two Logic Pro files in my apps folder...
Old 5th April 2010
  #126
Lives for gear
 
whinecellar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
It is completely fixed for me.

How exactly are you going about viewing it? Key commands, screensets, manually clicking the menus?
With a fresh boot, fresh prefs and a blank default song, I simply threw down a 4-bar dummy track and moved the mod wheel while recording a few notes. I hit the key command to open the separate piano roll window, then the Hyperdraw > Mod key command. HD lane fills half the window as usual, so I drag the pane south and close the window. Reopen the window, HD lane right back to filling half the window.

Rebooted 3 times, same result. It just ain't happening for me. Again, my steps (in this order) were: Combo 10.6.3 updater, restart; ProKit 5.1, then Logic 9.1.1. Restart.

Love to figure it out!
Old 5th April 2010
  #127
Lives for gear
 
everythinglouder's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
With a fresh boot, fresh prefs and a blank default song, I simply threw down a 4-bar dummy track and moved the mod wheel while recording a few notes. I hit the key command to open the separate piano roll window, then the Hyperdraw > Mod key command. HD lane fills half the window as usual, so I drag the pane south and close the window. Reopen the window, HD lane right back to filling half the window.

Rebooted 3 times, same result. It just ain't happening for me. Again, my steps (in this order) were: Combo 10.6.3 updater, restart; ProKit 5.1, then Logic 9.1.1. Restart.

Love to figure it out!
Oh, I totally see it now. I guess I just don't usually run into this exact order of steps in my workflow.

I have a screenset (3) with Arrange on left monitor, Piano Roll on right monitor. I opened a blank project, did everything you did, then went to screenset #3. I hit my key command for display hyperdraw with modulation. I sized HD as I like it, then hit my key command for close hyperdraw lane. I then saved my screenset.

Now every time I hit #3, it opens the piano roll window for me, and if I hit my key command for open hyperdraw with modulation, the size of the HD lane is just as I set it into my screenset.

Did this make sense? I think you just need to save the setting into your screenset.
Old 5th April 2010
  #128
F5D
Lives for gear
 
F5D's Avatar
 

Have been running 10.6.3 and Logic 9.1.1 32-bit on a 2008 mac pro 2.83 Ghz 8GB for a few days and Logic seems to be quite stable. I would still want the GUI to be _faster_ but I have not faced any bugs yet and feel confident when using logic.
Old 5th April 2010
  #129
Gear Nut
 

I wish you could change the color of the actual tracks in the mixer like on ProTools, not just the labels.
Old 5th April 2010
  #130
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackpennington View Post
I wish you could change the color of the actual tracks in the mixer like on ProTools, not just the labels.
You can. Select the region, or all of the regions on the track and change the color. Simple, really.
Old 5th April 2010
  #131
Gear Head
 

Any advice on my previously asked question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decept View Post
What does everyone do with the Logic 9.0.0 app file? Do they keep it? I'm not a huge fan of having two Logic Pro files in my apps folder...
Old 5th April 2010
  #132
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decept View Post
Any advice on my previously asked question?
I trashed mine on the laptop (where space is at a premium) as I don't worry about existing projects as much, but I imagine those that are doing recording sessions for others appreciate having the previous version around to finish up projects without new issues and I keep mine on the desktop machine until I'm satisfied I won't need it for anything.
Old 5th April 2010
  #133
Lives for gear
 
whinecellar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Did this make sense? I think you just need to save the setting into your screenset.
Yep, makes sense. I also (usually) have a similar screenset, but for the current score I'm working on I need the QT video on one screen and the arrange on the other, with piano roll windows only opened as needed.

Plus, the 9.1.1 release notes lead me to believe I should be able to do this as described, without having to save screensets...

I would have upgraded just to fix this one issue, but it's still broken. Ah well...

Thanks for looking into it BTW ;-)
Old 5th April 2010
  #134
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackpennington View Post
I wish you could change the color of the actual tracks in the mixer like on ProTools, not just the labels.
+ 1
Old 14th April 2010
  #135
Gear Maniac
 

Other than the white noise problem the only other bug I've come across is that sometimes when I open a session that I originally did in L8, random audio tracks don't produce any sound. I get signal, all my settings are the same but no sound...The solution I found is to close the session and re-open it. The weird thing is that it's not consistent it randomly selects a track to pick on. Just wondering if anyone else came across this. BTW I'm running the most updated version of Snow Leopard.
Old 15th April 2010
  #136
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Roy View Post
Other than the white noise problem the only other bug I've come across is that sometimes when I open a session that I originally did in L8, random audio tracks don't produce any sound. I get signal, all my settings are the same but no sound...The solution I found is to close the session and re-open it. The weird thing is that it's not consistent it randomly selects a track to pick on. Just wondering if anyone else came across this. BTW I'm running the most updated version of Snow Leopard.
Yes I have come across this bug several times with Logic 9.1.1 usually a simple on/off with the solo button fixes it. Apart from that I believe Logic 9.1.1 on 10.6.3 to be the most stable combination I've ever run.
Old 15th April 2010
  #137
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decept View Post
You can. Select the region, or all of the regions on the track and change the color. Simple, really.
He was talking about the actual mixer window color, not regions. This can't be done ala pro tools, only the little labels at the bottom of the mixer can be changed.
Old 15th April 2010
  #138
Lives for gear
 
Firechild's Avatar
The hanging MIDI notes are back for me!
When in cycle mode Softsynths get hanging MIDI notes when the loop start over again.

Don´t know if it´s the 5.1 Prokit Update or 9.1.1 update.
Old 15th April 2010
  #139
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees View Post
Yes I have come across this bug several times with Logic 9.1.1 usually a simple on/off with the solo button fixes it. Apart from that I believe Logic 9.1.1 on 10.6.3 to be the most stable combination I've ever run.
I'll have to try the quick on/off of the solo button instead of re-booting the whole session. Thanks for the tip!heh
Old 15th April 2010
  #140
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Needing to toggle track solos/mutes to get things to play (or not play when things are muted) goes back 5.x in my experience. Though I must confess I haven't seen it as much in 7.x through 9.1.1.

Also the behavior whinecellar is noticing in regards to the hyperdraw window below the midi piano roll (I think?) has been reliant on your screenset as long as I can remember (back to 4.x?), if it 'stuck' across everything without using screensets in a version before 9.x then I missed that (probably because I've had a workflow similar to everythinglouder's for over a decade, saving screensets to save 'memories' of window settings like that.)
Old 15th April 2010
  #141
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Needing to toggle track solos/mutes to get things to play (or not play when things are muted) goes back 5.x in my experience. Though I must confess I haven't seen it as much in 7.x through 9.1.1.
I never had this happen before, but then again L8 was my 1st and only other version of Logic. I guess I was just lucky enough to not have that problem before.
Old 15th April 2010
  #142
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Well I don't ever see it with the "Fast" Mute/Solo behaviour and I don't think I've seen it with that mode since it's worked properly, I could be wrong though. I know when I see it I just have an automatic response of toggling things again and may not process it consciously enough to make a mental note. I do a lot of cmd-mute/unmute & solo in the arrange since I typically would rather mute midi to my outboard than deal with setting up programs on my outboard mixer for mute groups.

CPU-Saving (used to be called "Slow" and now Slow Response I think) is when I've still seen it and imo it's because that's the old/legacy behavior, and will occasionally get confused in processing complex bussing/send returns or just for some reason not notice I've changed the solo/mute status.
Old 16th April 2010
  #143
Lives for gear
 

I'm thinking about trying out logic 9, but I have 10.5.6 and I don't feel like updating my computer (if it's not broke, don't fix it). Does Logic 9 work with 10.5.6 prior to this update?
Old 16th April 2010
  #144
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangible View Post
I'm thinking about trying out logic 9, but I have 10.5.6 and I don't feel like updating my computer (if it's not broke, don't fix it). Does Logic 9 work with 10.5.6 prior to this update?
Don't worry about upgrading, Snow Leopard is now really stable and a joy to use. They've made many little improvements to the Finder, which make it considerably faster and better usable.
Old 16th April 2010
  #145
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Don't worry about upgrading, Snow Leopard is now really stable and a joy to use. They've made many little improvements to the Finder, which make it considerably faster and better usable.
yeah, but I don't have much space to backup my computer, and I don't want to upgrade without a backup, because a problem may arise. I just want to try logic out, have you use logic 9 with 10.5.6 or a previous version?
Old 17th April 2010
  #146
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
10.5.8 & ProKit updates highly recommended imo.
Old 17th April 2010
  #147
Lives for gear
 
CZ101's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangible View Post
I'm thinking about trying out logic 9, but I have 10.5.6 and I don't feel like updating my computer (if it's not broke, don't fix it). Does Logic 9 work with 10.5.6 prior to this update?
I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix" mantra...

However, updating to an incremental update like from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 in OS X isn't even necessarily a "fix" - rather - a tune up.. Let OSX update when it wants to - that is, it's not going to automatically update to Snow Leopard or anything heh.. Automatic updates in OS X are your friend...
Old 17th April 2010
  #148
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix" mantra...

However, updating to an incremental update like from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 in OS X isn't even necessarily a "fix" - rather - a tune up.. Let OSX update when it wants to - that is, it's not going to automatically update to Snow Leopard or anything heh.. Automatic updates in OS X are your friend...
I've had funny stuff happen before after updating, that's why I don't want to update without backing up my drive, I just can't risk anything going haywire and not having a backup (and I'd have to free up a bunch of space to do a backup right now).....when Logic 9 first came out, you needed 10.5.7?
Old 17th April 2010
  #149
Lives for gear
 
CZ101's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangible View Post
I've had funny stuff happen before after updating, that's why I don't want to update without backing up my drive, I just can't risk anything going haywire and not having a backup (and I'd have to free up a bunch of space to do a backup right now).....when Logic 9 first came out, you needed 10.5.7?
Backing up never hurts..

I think you'll need 10.5.8 for the recent "ProKit" update - I would just go with 10.5.8 - mature and over a year's worth of security updates/fixes since 10.5.7...
Old 17th April 2010
  #150
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangible View Post
yeah, but I don't have much space to backup my computer, and I don't want to upgrade without a backup
Actually you will save space with Snow Leopard, its much smaller than Leopard.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ksatriya / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump