The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 9.1.1 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orff View Post
10.6.3; 9.1.1; PK5.1 = the best, snappiest, most stable computer-based studio I have ever worked with. Good times - for me at least....
Try opening a instance of sugar bytes elektrix in a 64 bit project and see how stable it is then lol
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
10.6.3; 9.1.1; PK5.1 = the best, snappiest, most stable computer-based studio I have ever worked with. Good times - for me at least....
thanks for the positive report--looking forward to working with it
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

I have an issue with PSP plugs: When open, I can't use keyboard shortcuts to move between markers or start from last start position. Worked fine in Logic 9.x.

When Logic plugs are open, keyboard shortcuts work fine.

I don't think it's a 10.6.3 problem.

Logic 9.1.1, OS X 10.6.3, PSP sQuad, VintageWarmer, OldTimer, MixPack2.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapause View Post
I have an issue with PSP plugs: When open, I can't use keyboard shortcuts to move between markers or start from last start position. Worked fine in Logic 9.x.

When Logic plugs are open, keyboard shortcuts work fine.

I don't think it's a 10.6.3 problem.

Logic 9.1.1, OS X 10.6.3, PSP sQuad, VintageWarmer, OldTimer, MixPack2.

Can anyone else confirm this?
Working here with PSP sQuad, Xenon & Nitro on Logic 9.1.1/10.5.8. I just reinstalled 10.6.x on my laptop and haven't had a chance to get all my plugins installed yet. Will report back when I can. Make sure this isn't a keyboard focus issue (guessing you probably did that one) or key command corruption issue. I always export my key commands once they're made so I can re-import them if I have to trash prefs or etc.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapause View Post
Make sure the app is in your root Applications directory.
Ah, I moved all my Logic Studio apps into a folder within the apps directory titled 'Apple Logic Studio 9'. So you're suggesting I move it back into the applications directory?
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Head

Alright, well I was able to install the update. But now I have Logic Pro and Logic Pro 9.0.0. in my applications directory. Both around 830 megs in size. Anyone know why I have two Logic Pro applications now?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
that's good news.
Are you in 32 or 64 bit? What computer are you on?
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

Seems slightly more stable here now... I can record vocals in a empty session for a day without any crashes which were parent before..

Also the graphic bug with the square rectangular and slow loading of folders with a lot of files in are now back to normal..

Seems like they managed to solve some the 9.0 bugs now finally.. Seems to work

Old Logic 6 bugs like the delay tails and reverb tail that cuts off are still there though.. Should I submit that bug again, I think I've done it 50 times now.. ?
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decept View Post
Ah, I moved all my Logic Studio apps into a folder within the apps directory titled 'Apple Logic Studio 9'. So you're suggesting I move it back into the applications directory?
Yup.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Working here with PSP sQuad, Xenon & Nitro on Logic 9.1.1/10.5.8. I just reinstalled 10.6.x on my laptop and haven't had a chance to get all my plugins installed yet. Will report back when I can. Make sure this isn't a keyboard focus issue (guessing you probably did that one) or key command corruption issue. I always export my key commands once they're made so I can re-import them if I have to trash prefs or etc.
Nope, not a keyboard focus issue. Key commands are all working fine with other plugs.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decept View Post
Alright, well I was able to install the update. But now I have Logic Pro and Logic Pro 9.0.0. in my applications directory. Both around 830 megs in size. Anyone know why I have two Logic Pro applications now?
Because an install/update of Logic doesn't disturb the previous version.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
that's good news.
Are you in 32 or 64 bit? What computer are you on?
Mostly 32-bit mode, on a Mac Pro 2009, using Logic every day. 64-bit mode has been fine but I mostly work in 32-bit mode
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

I've been doing long tracking sessions and no white noise burst so far! Anyone else?

-synthoid
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Maniac
No burst of noise here either
10.6.3, Logic 9.1.1

later
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
Because an install/update of Logic doesn't disturb the previous version.
So is it suggested that I keep the past versions of Logic?
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Addict

If I'm running 9.1.1 and 10.6.3 is there any reason I shouldn't do all my work in 64-bit-mode?
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

No burst of white noise here either, but I didn't have it happen for a few weeks before either. Crossing my fingers.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

Today, I finally upgraded to SL after having all my 64 bit drivers sorted out. I finally got to try Logic in 64 bit 9.1.1.
I tested it on a large session recorded and mixed at 96Khz and I really like it, it is by far the most stable version of Logic I've ever used no drop outs, no clicks, no memory warnings nor unrecognized sample rate issues, Before whenever I send a track to a bus that has a different output than the track I get this blatant delay now it's gone. The performance seems very tight it is what I always wanted Logic to be.

The downside is that some of my plugs don't work, my UAD card can't even be seen in 64 bit let alone work and that 32 bit bridge is a bit of pain to use.

The pros to me outweighs the cons, I can deal with the crappy 32 bit bridge, but no UAD at 64 bit, I'm still contemplating. Has anybody had success on UAD at 64 bit??
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not experiencing memory spikes anymore. I think we're finally reaping some performance benefits, and Logic seems to be fun again.

-SD
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Ape View Post
Today, I finally upgraded to SL after having all my 64 bit drivers sorted out. I finally got to try Logic in 64 bit 9.1.1.
I tested it on a large session recorded and mixed at 96Khz and I really like it, it is by far the most stable version of Logic I've ever used no drop outs, no clicks, no memory warnings nor unrecognized sample rate issues, Before whenever I send a track to a bus that has a different output than the track I get this blatant delay now it's gone. The performance seems very tight it is what I always wanted Logic to be.

The downside is that some of my plugs don't work, my UAD card can't even be seen in 64 bit let alone work and that 32 bit bridge is a bit of pain to use.

The pros to me outweighs the cons, I can deal with the crappy 32 bit bridge, but no UAD at 64 bit, I'm still contemplating. Has anybody had success on UAD at 64 bit??
I guess you are booting with the 64 bit kernel and that is not recommended unless you have more than 32 GB of RAM.
64 bit kernel is default for some reason on the Hackintosh scene but most Mac´s are booting with 32 bit kernel as default including MacPro´s.

64 bit kernel is confusing many people but it has nothing to do whether you can run 64 bit applications or not. The ONLY advantage is that you can use up to 16 TB of RAM( 32 GB is maximum with 32bit kernel not 4 Gb which some people think).
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
I'm not experiencing memory spikes anymore. I think we're finally reaping some performance benefits, and Logic seems to be fun again.
That's very nice to hear!

Are you on SL?
Old 3rd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
64 bit kernel is confusing many people but it has nothing to do whether you can run 64 bit applications or not.
Correct, in SL 10.6.x 64-bit apps can run in the 32-bit kernel environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
The ONLY advantage is that you can use up to 16 TB of RAM( 32 GB is maximum with 32bit kernel not 4 Gb which some people think).
This is incorrect.

here's some info on SL 64-bit kernel mode:

Macintosh Performance Guide
Mac OS X Snow Leopard —
Booting into 64-bit mode

There are potentially huge advantages to having a 64-bit kernel churn through 64-bit binaries at processor-native speeds (albeit, on supported processors).

Here is more information about some security and stability advantages to Snow Leopard in 64-bit kernel mode:

TidBITS Safe Computing: Peering Inside Snow Leopard Security

Last edited by CZ101; 5th April 2010 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: erroneous
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
The CPU hit of Logic 64's Linear Phase EQ (64-bit fp process) run on top of SL's 64-bit kernel should be something like 1/2 of what it is with SL in 32-bit kernel mode. Anyone care to do a test of this? I haven't upgraded to SL yet (I will, during some downtime - when all the stuff I use is proven to work with it)..
Hmm, you think it spends at least half its time in the kernel when the kernel is 32-bit, but that this half goes away when the kernel is 64-bit. I can't see why the plug-in would be written to have so many kernel calls. In fact, I'll venture to guess that the core computations in all of Logic's plug-ins are simply user mode SSE code, with no calls to anything except maybe some user mode math libraries that are running in 64-bit user mode.

All the non-kernel APIs (Core Audio etc.) will have been compiled in 64-bit mode when using the 64-bit version of Logic. It is only actual calls to the kernel that need to pass through the 32-to-64 argument conversion barrier and back, AFAIK.

-synthoid
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ101 View Post
The CPU hit of Logic 64's Linear Phase EQ (64-bit fp process) run on top of SL's 64-bit kernel should be something like 1/2 of what it is with SL in 32-bit kernel mode. Anyone care to do a test of this? I haven't upgraded to SL yet (I will, during some downtime - when all the stuff I use is proven to work with it)..
I tested it.

I created a Logic 9.1.1 64-bit session with 100 tracks of ES P playing a simple melody, looped.

In 10.6.3 32-bit kernel, I was able to load 785 Linear Phase EQs before core spikes would interrupt the loop. At this point, with no other applications open except Activity Monitor, my CPU meter read 65% combined user and system resources.

In 10.6.3 64-bit kernel, I got exactly the same results.

I'm on a 2008 Mac Pro 8 x 3.2GHz with 18 GB RAM.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
I tested it.

I created a Logic 9.1.1 64-bit session with 100 tracks of ES P playing a simple melody, looped.

In 10.6.3 32-bit kernel, I was able to load 785 Linear Phase EQs before core spikes would interrupt the loop. At this point, with no other applications open except Activity Monitor, my CPU meter read 65% combined user and system resources.

Thanks for your info ! Very interesting!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
That's very nice to hear!

Are you on SL?
Yes, 10.6.3

-SD
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Maniac
Using SL 10.6.3 and Logic 9.1.1 in 64 bit was a bit glitchy till now.
On my Mac Pro 1,1 with 9 gigs of ram

I was layering 2 Superior Drummer kits, when I loaded the second kit (it was set to 1200 MB as a limit, so a memory exceeded window came up. I adjusted it to 2000 MB and it continued to load the kit.
No where did Logic show any limits.
So that's 2 SD 2's with NY and Evil full kits loaded, Omnisphere x's 2 and NI 4 with the full Kawai Full piano loaded.
6 stereo audio tracks so far and a bunch of plugs all over.
Usually I'd have the memory low spitting out by now from Logic!
Nada.

The 32 bit bridge has dropped a couple times, but pressing ok, takes a second and away the song goes again.
No Crash!

Later
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
Yes, 10.6.3
Thank you!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
Hmm, you think it spends at least half its time in the kernel when the kernel is 32-bit but that this half goes away when the kernel is 64-bit.
Actually, I'm not completely sure... I guess I was under the impression that 64-bit floating point words sent by code in user-space for SSE3 processing still had to be shuffled through an SIMD (SSE3..) aware kernel, but I may be wrong..

In 64-bit OS X, can user space code directly access SSE3 functions - bypassing the kernel? After some reading, it seems like this is the case. If you happen to know, I'd be interested..

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I can't see why the plug-in would be written to have so many kernel calls. In fact, I'll venture to guess that the core computations in all of Logic's plug-ins are simply user mode SSE code, with no calls to anything except maybe some user mode math libraries that are running in 64-bit user mode.
You're right.. I take it back that floating point will be x2 performance.. FWIW, threading performance appears to increase quite a bit in SL 64-bit kernel mode, floating point does increase a bit from 32 to 64-bit kernel, but not much (3%?)...

Snow Leopard 32-bit versus 64-bit Kernel

more info:

Primate Labs Snow Leopard Performance
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
I tested it.

Thanks for clearing that up..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search