The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 9.1.1 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

the solution :
if you are getting the "this computer does not need this update" problem, then:
1. make sure your Logic app is in the applications folder
2. and named 'Logic Pro.app'.

this sorts it.
Old 19th March 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallp View Post
my new iMac i7 27" should arrive soon - I have my Logic upgrade pack (from Logic 5 don't laugh) and a book on how to use L9 (which at least looks somewhat familiar).

I know b*gger all about Macs & L9 and upgrades. This looks essential - will it all happen automatically when I put my L9 CDs in?

(In fact I've heard Macs are so much better - should I expect L9/Macs to just intuitively write all my music for me from now on? (Well, maybe not))

Excuse my silly question but how does one upgrade with fix levels?
my setup does all my editing and fleshes out my ideas for me ... I still have to have an idea but after that it is all automated. I have the name my own songs box checked so i get to do that too.

new install or upgrade should go look after you install ..just sit back and watch it work.

Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancekid View Post
- Newly created software instrument tracks now include an EVP88 instrument plug-in by default.

wtf ?!?

Haha. GarageLogic. I wouldn't be surprised if the next step is some moronic 'What do you want to do?' wizard at startup...
Old 20th March 2010
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendejo View Post
GarageLogic.
HaHaHa! Classic.

Old 20th March 2010
Gear Nut

I have a problem I didn't encounter in 9.1.0:

When working with frozen tracks, it should be possible to still write volume and aux (bus) send automation. That's what it says in the Logic Pro 9 help and that's how it has been for years.

However, when trying to do that now, I can sometimes do it, sometimes I get a message box saying "this track is frozen", with an OK button. This is not the usual "Track is frozen, do you want to unfreeze it?" message box. This is also in the same project, on the same track... one second I can automate the volume, then 3 seconds later when I try again I get the message box.

Extremely annoying! I've started to assign a different bus output for each frozen track, so I can automate that way... but it's not very optimal.

Anyone else with this problem?
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
These 3 fixes caught my eye:

- The Hyper Draw lane in the Piano Roll now properly maintains its size when the Piano Roll is closed and then reopened.
that was pretty annoying too!
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

LOGIC EXPRESS UPDATE ALSO! 9.1.1 downloading now

Quote:
Still no fix for the bursts of white noise that randomly occur. Probably the only bug that will lead to hearing loss.
That sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjon View Post
I've only had this happen when using a firewire drive. If I move the project to my internal audio drive, the noises go away. (The number of tracks doesn't seem to make a difference either)
I had it using an internal 7200 drive, It's happened a few time not much though

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
I've only had this issue with rogue 3rd party plugins. Its normally been easily fixed by updating them.
The only times I've had the horrid bursts of noise is what I've not been using 3rd party plugins, I'm often ok with work arounds but the is no consistent symptoms so finding a cure seems impossible for this white noise issue
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the burst of white noise. I had it happen today in a session. 1st time in over a month. No plugins being used. Mac Pro 2.8 using an internal drive dedicated to audio. Only 6 tracks in use recording piano, jazz guitar, clarinet, and vocal.

I'll try this update to see how it goes.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

how long are these bursts of white noise?
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Addict

I get the white noise burst maybe once every other month. I'm using a rosetta 200 thru firewire.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

WATCH OUT

EXPORT AUDIO TO MOVIE FUNCTION IS NOT WORKING UNDER 64 BIT.

deal breaker for me :(
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
I have a problem I didn't encounter in 9.1.0:

When working with frozen tracks, it should be possible to still write volume and aux (bus) send automation. That's what it says in the Logic Pro 9 help and that's how it has been for years.

However, when trying to do that now, I can sometimes do it, sometimes I get a message box saying "this track is frozen", with an OK button. This is not the usual "Track is frozen, do you want to unfreeze it?" message box. This is also in the same project, on the same track... one second I can automate the volume, then 3 seconds later when I try again I get the message box.

Extremely annoying! I've started to assign a different bus output for each frozen track, so I can automate that way... but it's not very optimal.

Anyone else with this problem?
I'm not having this problem (I'm able to do volume automation on a frozen track), but I'm unable to record any automation on any kind of track (even unfrozen) using a controller or by moving the automation level with the mouse in any of the write modes (Touch, Latch, Write). hmm. I don't recall ever having this problem before.

-synthoid
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

The CPU efficiency at higher sample rates is indeed much improved.

-SD
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I'm not having this problem (I'm able to do volume automation on a frozen track), but I'm unable to record any automation on any kind of track (even unfrozen) using a controller or by moving the automation level with the mouse in any of the write modes (Touch, Latch, Write). hmm. I don't recall ever having this problem before.

-synthoid
Wow, that's strange. Do you get some kind of error / message, or does it just not record the automation?

Hmm... anyone knows how to roll back to 9.1.0?
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
The CPU efficiency at higher sample rates is indeed much improved.

-SD
great! i'm working @ 88.2 and my mac pro 2.8ghz octo struggled sometimes when i feel it shouldn't. for example, it wasn't just 2x the cpu usage vs 44.1khz

can't wait to give it a whirl
Old 20th March 2010
finally the sidechain bug is fixed

but what's up with the new evp88 instrument thing?? this is just ****ing illogical

oh the irony..

why don't they just change the name to garageband pro already?
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
how long are these bursts of white noise?
For me, they last until I hit stop. I'll get a disk too slow message, then the noise. I usually start hitting mutes on the board before I get to hitting stop on Logic. I do wonder if an even higher cache on the hard drive would help. I am using 16mb now.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Yea, I'm really happy about the side-chain bug fix finally and Apple's consistent updates now. I don't understand what the big deal is with evp88 as a default virtual instrument though. After creating a virtual instrument track you would need to pick a plugin anyway... funny thing is that when I add a new VI track it loads blank without the evp88 still. I don't really care either way though.
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I have had nothing but nightmares with 64bit sessions and Native Instruments. I'm enjoying the update for 32. I think Logic with 64bit has a long way to go.
All of my 64 bit plugins work like a charme in Logic 9.1.
Native Instruments dont really support any 32 bridge stuff ATM.
Hopefully they will release true 64 bit versions of their plugins soon.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns View Post
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the burst of white noise. I had it happen today in a session. 1st time in over a month. No plugins being used. Mac Pro 2.8 using an internal drive dedicated to audio. Only 6 tracks in use recording piano, jazz guitar, clarinet, and vocal.

I'll try this update to see how it goes.
I'll get the white noise burst of death when I have my buffer set to 64. I can't predict when it will happen but it usually happens. And, it's most embarrassing and painful. I was told it has to do with punching in to take folders. At any rate, if I stay at 128 I'm fine. I haven't tried 64 since the 9.1.1 update. I'll try it when I'm working on my own so as not to hurt my client. I also feel like this white noise thing started after I got my apogee symphony system. I'm not sure if they're related or not.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallp View Post
my new iMac i7 27" should arrive soon - I have my Logic upgrade pack (from Logic 5 don't laugh) and a book on how to use L9 (which at least looks somewhat familiar).

I know b*gger all about Macs & L9 and upgrades. This looks essential - will it all happen automatically when I put my L9 CDs in?

(In fact I've heard Macs are so much better - should I expect L9/Macs to just intuitively write all my music for me from now on? (Well, maybe not))

Excuse my silly question but how does one upgrade with fix levels?
\\

what about the project killer- memory bug ie almost out of memory /crash ?
and does BFD work with it now ?
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
Wow, that's strange. Do you get some kind of error / message, or does it just not record the automation?

Hmm... anyone knows how to roll back to 9.1.0?
What seems to be happening is that Logic is constantly losing the AQA (automation quick access) setting, i.e., the default controller that is used to record automation. Sometimes I am able to go to Preferences and re-teach it (through the Learn button), but at other times when I push the Learn button, it doesn't "stick", it immediately turns itself off again and I can't set up the controller. I'm not sure what's up... I wouldn't recommend rolling back though unless you're seeing this problem, because it might be something particular to my rig, which has a lot of MIDI gear connected. Otherwise, 9.1.1 is working very smoothly for me.

-synthoid
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy View Post
I was told it has to do with punching in to take folders.
Every time it has happened to me, it's been in a big take folder. I sure hope it has been fixed.

-synthoid
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusboy7 View Post
\\

what about the project killer- memory bug ie almost out of memory /crash ?
and does BFD work with it now ?

BFD 2 is working here better than ever, no more CPU spikes either
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Am I going mad or is the GUI (and logic in general) a bit more snappy and responsive than in 9.1?

seems to load a bit quicker too.

Maybe im imagining it?
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
What seems to be happening is that Logic is constantly losing the AQA (automation quick access) setting, i.e., the default controller that is used to record automation. Sometimes I am able to go to Preferences and re-teach it (through the Learn button),
I've been having a simular "bug" even with 9.1 (& 9.1.1), the scroll wheel starts having only a "go to beginning" or "go to end" function. I have to manually reset the parameter in the control surface setup. Strange !!
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
4 updates in nine months
5, actually, unless you don't count 9.0 as an update. :-)

I haven't had this noise burst thing some people mention, but a couple of related bugfixes are mentioned in the 9.1.1 release notes:

From Logic Pro 9.1.1: Release notes

Resolution
For more information about the application please visit Apple - Logic Studio - Logic Pro 9 .

About the Logic Pro 9.1.1 update

This update improves overall stability, provides numerous fixes and enhancements, and is recommended for all users of Logic Pro 9. Running Logic Pro 9.1 in 64-bit mode requires Mac OS X v10.6.2 Snow Leopard or later. For information about running Logic Pro in 64-bit mode, see this article.

Some issues addressed in this update include but are not limited to:

64-bit Mode
It is now possible to export MP3 files while running in 64-bit mode.
AAF import and export now work as expected in 64-bit mode.
The menu item to import audio from a movie is now available in 64-bit mode.
EuCon control surfaces now work as expected in 64-bit mode.
Resolves an issue that could lead to a "Too Many Files Open" alert when using multiple instances of Spectrasonics Omnisphere in 64-bit more.
The Novation Automap feature now works as expected in 64-bit mode.
It is now possible to run FXPansion's BFD2 plug-in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge.
An issue that prevented the GUIs for Overloud plug-ins to display in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge is resolved.
Various issues with the GUI and controls of Native Instruments plug-ins in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge are resolved.
Resolves an issue that could cause Logic's memory use to grow unusually while scanning 32-bit Audio Unit plug-ins.
The Binaural Panner now works as expected in 64-bit mode.
Various stability improvements when running 32-bit plug-ins in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge.
Resolves a situation that prevented Logic from responding to key commands after all 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge windows were closed.
If The 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge quits unexpectedly, 32-bit plug-ins are now reloaded as expected when the project is reopened.
Unexpected quitting of the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge no longer sometimes causes Logic to stop responding.

Compatibility
Resolves an issue that could lead Logic to quit unexpectedly when selecting video settings while using a Blackmagic video card.
Exported Open TL files no longer sometimes contain unexpected noise bursts.
Resolves an issue that could cause Logic to quit unexpectedly when scanning for all control surfaces.
It is again possible to import Giga Instruments.

MIDI Editing
Reverse Position in the Transform window now works as expected.
The Hyper Draw lane in the Piano Roll now properly maintains its size when the Piano Roll is closed and then reopened.
The operation labeled "Rel. Crescendo" in the Transform Window now works correctly in all cases.

Instruments and Effects
There is no longer an unexpected burst of noise when switching to certain Amp Designer plug-in settings during playback.
EXS24 now reliably loads instruments that contain audio files with long file names.
EXS instruments with double-byte characters in their file names now load properly again.
It is again possible to load EXS24 instruments from Symlinks.
It is now possible to manually add up to the maximum of 10 stompboxes to a Pedalboard after loading a plug-in setting that contains another Pedalboard with 10 stompboxes.
Resolves an issue that could lead to hanging notes when using side chain from a bus.
Newly created software instrument tracks now include an EVP88 instrument plug-in by default.

File Handling and Management
Copy/Convert of 48kHz MP3 files now maintains the correct sample rate when you choose "Original sample rate."
Import of SMPTE-locked regions now works as expected.
Inclusion of a "." in the name of a bounced file no longer truncates the name.
Resolves an issue where Logic's search functionality would ignore character matches where the case was different
Resolves an issue where Logic would sometimes stop responding for a long time when opening a large number of files using the Add Audio Files command from the Bin.

General Issues
An issue that caused some pop-up menus to respond slowly is resolved.
User-created Groove Templates made in Logic 9.0.2 or earlier are again available in the Quantize menu.
CPU performance at high sample rates has been improved.
The Undo menu now updates properly to consistently show the next available undo step.
The Nudge Region/Event Position Right/Left by 10ms key commands now work as expected.
Portions of audio regions with fades now transpose properly with Follow Tempo enabled.
Resolves an issue that could cause a Track Group's Phase-Locked Audio setting to be unintentionally disabled by selecting "Disable and Select" in the "Inconsistent Region Start Positions" warning dialog.
Changes to the Input Monitoring buttons on multiple channel strips in the Mixer are now reliably shown on all corresponding channel strips in the Arrange window.
Resolves an issue that prevented using the contextual menu to change the channel strip assigned to an Arrange track.
Freezing a track no longer prevents automation edits on other tracks.
Resolves an issue where recording would incorrectly appear to continue after "Disk too slow errors."
Old 21st March 2010
Here for the gear

White Noise Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
Still no fix for the bursts of white noise that randomly occur. Probably the only bug that will lead to hearing loss.
I would have that problem too when I was recording it would shoot some white noise out and give me a disk too slow error. Just brutal when it happens, especially for the performer in the other room with headphones . I realized it would only happen if I was running low on hard drive space. Something to look out for. I have more than enough space now but I was having the problem when I was recording on a drive with less than a gig on it.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echowash View Post
I would have that problem too when I was recording it would shoot some white noise out and give me a disk too slow error. Just brutal when it happens, especially for the performer in the other room with headphones . I realized it would only happen if I was running low on hard drive space. Something to look out for. I have more than enough space now but I was having the problem when I was recording on a drive with less than a gig on it.
I get the same thing though, and I have plenty of space on the record drive.

Usually happens when I recording something like acoustic guitar, really a mood breaker

TH
Old 21st March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Yea, I'm really happy about the side-chain bug fix finally and Apple's consistent updates now. I don't understand what the big deal is with evp88 as a default virtual instrument though. After creating a virtual instrument track you would need to pick a plugin anyway... funny thing is that when I add a new VI track it loads blank without the evp88 still. I don't really care either way though.
i could get used to an empty EXS24 by default...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search