The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Have new Macs been hacked?
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Have new Macs been hacked?

Problem I am dealing with is Korg. I really don't like them. They are not going to write drivers for OS X.. for the Oasys PCI card.

I need a new computer. They are still selling some that boot to 9, at a higher price.

What did they do to make the new boxes OSX only? Is there a hack to allow a 9.1 boot?

Not excited about having 2 computers in the studio, one is already loud enough!

Where is the hack!?!
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

i know theres a hack out to run the mdd powermacs on 9.2.2.

you should be able to find it @ www.xlr8yourmac.com

just about any mac info worth knowing can be found there.

also www.macrumors.com

fwiw, there's big rumors about apple releasing a vastly superior powermac in june...might be worth it to wait...of course, who knows if it will be os9 hackable.
Old 28th May 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks 3rdpath, I have looked and found nothing conclusive. How does Apple lock out an OS?

Rumors of the 970 chip are heating up the boards. Some say there are some boxes finished and waiting for the word to go out the door.

I still hate Korg.
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Maniac

As far as I know apple changed the bios on the new machines so they only boot os x.
The official reason for that was the quicker boot time .......
Old 29th May 2003
There is only one

ditch the korg.
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Addict

- Dedicate an old cheap OS 9 machine to the Korg
- Run the Oasys digital outs to your new machine.
- Put both these machines in a nice sound proof box.

Don't ditch the Korg if you like it. Nothing else quite does what it does.

However the new Roland VariOs is cooler.
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
ditch the korg.
Makes the most sense, IMO, as well. Ongoing support for a newer PCI card will be cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

Brian T
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

Hard to ditch. I don't know if anyone has played around with it, but it is a slamming card. I am just scratching the surface of it now.

Sigh.
Old 5th June 2003
Here for the gear

I would stick the oasys in some other cpu as well. It is a very very nice synth, I don't think the people suggesting you lose it perhaps quite understand what it is; if you ditch it there is nothing else to replace it with currently available.

I hope they make a new one...

stick your cpu's in the next room if you have a noise issue, btw.
Old 10th June 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
Hard to ditch. I don't know if anyone has played around with it, but it is a slamming card. I am just scratching the surface of it now.

Sigh.
I can understand you not wanting another Mac, sort of, I've got about 6 of them! You could get a Powermac 7500 for almost nothing that will run os9 or X and you can upgrade it to whatever you need for not too much, and the fan in it is real quiet.
Good luck
daniel
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

I used to have the Oasys card as well. Great product, too bad it didn't do better as far as sales.

If you like it, then dedicate a machine to it. since most of the processing occurs on the card itself, you can run it on a really slow Mac and still get great performance. As mentioned, a 7500 or 8500 would be fine for the Oasys. An 8600 would be excellent as well. These computers are incredibly cheap right now, and there are some advantages to running the Oasys on its own CPU anyway.

You can't expect Korg to support a product forever, especially one that tanks in the marketplace. Korg has been very clear for at least a couple years that they wouldn't be supporting OSX. It's not like it's a surprise or anything. The product was discontinued quite a while ago.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear