The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Guitar Software Instrument for use with an Amp Simulation such as Guitar Rig
Old 20th January 2010
Question Best Guitar Software Instrument for use with an Amp Simulation such as Guitar Rig

Hey everyone,

I don't play guitar, only keyboard, but would like to find a good guitar patch/preset/sampler instrument that I can run through an amp simulation like Guitar Rig. What kind of guitar instrument should I be using? Any suggestions of good guitar software instruments? Thank you
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I think I have used, tried or at least listened to almost all of the available Guitar Instruments.

The only one that really sounds good to me is the Prominy LPC:

prominy-LPC

It is rather expensive though. There is also a cheaper LE version, as well as a Stratocaster Instrument.

The easiset to use i probably RealStrat, but I really think it does not sound very good:

MusicLab | Products | RealStrat
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Addict

Well, right now I can only think of Electri6ity. It's a new guitar VI by Vir2, and Vir2 will have a new page for this new VI up and running soon.

Not sure when it will be released, but Vir2 claim it uses some new advanced morphing capabilities that allow for a very wide dynamic range and seamless articulation and legato.

We'll eventually find out if their claims are indeed true or not when the time comes. And and they should really do a bass with their new morphing technology, otherwise we are left with a guitar but no bass. I'm not really sure if that makes much sense. Unless you're a bassist ;-)

Of course, the virtual guitar to REALLY beat is the one being developed by Mokafix Audio which uses pure physical modeling and sounds very much like a real guitar or a bass, depending on what gauge strings are used in the implementation of the physical model

As to when THAT is released, well, I have no idea, but perhaps I could just say I hope before the end of this new and very much unfinished year.

Ben
Old 20th January 2010
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Holmes View Post
I think I have used, tried or at least listened to almost all of the available Guitar Instruments.

The only one that really sounds good to me is the Prominy LPC:

prominy-LPC

It is rather expensive though. There is also a cheaper LE version, as well as a Stratocaster Instrument.

The easiset to use i probably RealStrat, but I really think it does not sound very good:

MusicLab | Products | RealStrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Well, right now I can only think of Electri6ity. It's a new guitar VI by Vir2, and Vir2 will have a new page for this new VI up and running soon.

Not sure when it will be released, but Vir2 claim it uses some new advanced morphing capabilities that allow for a very wide dynamic range and seamless articulation and legato.

We'll eventually find out if their claims are indeed true or not when the time comes. And and they should really do a bass with their new morphing technology, otherwise we are left with a guitar but no bass. I'm not really sure if that makes much sense. Unless you're a bassist ;-)

Of course, the virtual guitar to REALLY beat is the one being developed by Mokafix Audio which uses pure physical modeling and sounds very much like a real guitar or a bass, depending on what gauge strings are used in the implementation of the physical model

As to when THAT is released, well, I have no idea, but perhaps I could just say I hope before the end of this new and very much unfinished year.

Ben
Sounds cool, Thanks you guys, I'll check those out. It seems that the LPC samples have already been run through an amp. I'm looking for guitar software instruments to use that haven't already been run through an amp so I can run them through an amp sim.

Maybe the question I should be asking what kind of guitar S.I. I should be looking for? as in type? I guess it would be a software/sampled instrument of an electric guitar that isn't being run into an amp? Or could I use an acoustic guitar software instrument?

Sorry, I don't know much about guitars, I just want to use an amp sim in conjunction with playing a guitar sound on my keyboard and get the most realistic result possible (as if I played a real guitar through an amp sim) from this particular setup.
Old 21st January 2010
Ok I think I figured out what I'm looking for. A sampled guitar for Kontakt (or any other sampler) recorded via DI that is good for re-amping with an amp sim or a real amp. Knowing what I need now, any suggestions?

Last edited by Equiv_Exchange; 21st January 2010 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: figured out what I need
Old 1st May 2010
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,

the new http://www.vir2.com website is online now! Check it out for more infos about Electri6ity!

Cheers,
Benjamin

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search