The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Noob Computer question, probably been answered on this forum 100+ times-
Old 19th January 2010
Here for the gear

Noob Computer question, probably been answered on this forum 100+ times-

Did some searches but everyone has a slightly different question.
Also I am not tech savvy at all, and I cannot even understand some of the threads.

To my question-

I am currently making music on a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop.
As I am starting to get more serious on the production side, obviously that kind of computer is not going to cut it.

I Plan on getting a mac to run logic with, and will soon have the money for it.
Now my question is, do I really need a Mac Pro for what I am trying to do?

I am just a simple bedroom/basement producer with really no ambition to get into the music industry.
All I want to do is be able produce music that my friends make and create music myself, and get it out to people in my city. Play at some house partys and local bars and whatnot.
What I am looking for in a mac is just for everything in the computer, specifically logic, to run smoothly.

I was planning on purchasing the Mac mini with a few add-ons, is this all i need to run Logic smoothly?

'Stats' for Mac mini:
2.66 GHz Intel core 2 Duo
500 GB serial ATA drive
4 GB memory
Price: $1,167.00

(I am aware that I would have to purchase Logic and a monitor on top of this)

If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thanks to ayone who can help me out.
Old 19th January 2010
The mini should be fine... but if you can spring for the Imac, I'd recommend doing so as you'll not only get better specs... you'll get a nice screen.
Old 19th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravity View Post
'Stats' for Mac mini:
2.66 GHz Intel core 2 Duo
500 GB serial ATA drive
4 GB memory
Price: $1,167.00
The price for that configuration should be $1,049.

Nonetheless, I don't believe the upgrade to 2.66 Ghz is worth the extra money (over the 2.26 Ghz).

Also, I wouldn't upgrade to the 500 Gb drive. It's still only 5400 RPM. For heavy digital audio, plugins and software instruments, I would consider swapping that out for a 7200 RPM drive (for system, Logic & sample library) and recording the audio on an external firewire. Check OWC Mac Mini upgrades (eg Seagate Momentus etc). Also, check 123macmini.com for reports of overheating with various 7200 RPM internal drive upgrades.

I would get the 4Gb ram. You could consider an inexpensive Dell, or Samsung, display instead of going iMac. That way, when you outgrow the Mac Mini, you could simply upgrade your computer.

One other point to consider is that your firewire ports are limited on the Mac Mini. Daisy chaining should be fine if you're recording at 44.1. But if you want to go to higher sample rates, and your A/D-D/A interface is also firewire, you could have some issues daisy chaining.

Here's a thread on the Mini:
Mac Mini (v.2009) for Logic-based project studio

You may contact on of these guys (eg Allen Rowand of Metric Halo) for their advice on using the Mini with Logic.
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

The only downside with the Mac mini is the 2.5" harddrive. SSD would be nice but is too expensive at the moment.
The CPU is powerful enough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search