The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need some help on setting up some new gear . M-Audio and Presonus
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

Need some help on setting up some new gear . M-Audio and Presonus

I currently own an M-Audio 1814 firewire interface, which has eight analog inputs as well as a digital input. I'm getting a Presonus Digimax D8 tomorrow, which has both digital and analog outputs.

The 1814 has like I said eight analog inputs, two of which have preamps. However, if I connect the D8 with analog cables, I will use up all the eight analog inputs, and thus sort of 'waste' the two M-Audio inputs.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I connect the D8 to my 1814 with a digital cable and get eight digital inputs in addition to the eight analogue inputs I already have? Meaning, I can use the eight preamps/inputs on my D8 in addition to the two preamped inputs on the 1814?

2. If so, how do I connect the two? Optical data cable?

3. Both have word clock functionality, do I have to worry about that? What device should be the sync reference?

4. In Nuendo, what should I use as sync reference under global settings? Currently I have:

Sample Position - Output, the output is probably the 1814 multichannel output.

I'm sorry if I sound completely stupid here, but this stuff is confusing to me.

Thanks!
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Just saying 'digital input' or output doesn't mean anything.
Find out what protocols the two units use and then you'll know how to connect them.
A good way to do this is to read the manual.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

I'm sorry, I was certain I wrote ADAT in there somewhere.
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Ok, sure that's what adat is for. A single optical cable from the D8 to the 1814 gives you 16 ins total, in your sequencer you'll see the adat ins as regular input channels available for recording.

You'll need to close the loop though via adat or s/pdif (from 1814 to D8) for sync, even if you don't use the outgoing channels for audio.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

Alright, thanks for the quick reply. My 1814 has word clock cables. Do I need to connect those to the D8, or will the devices sync via the ADAT cable?

I have the option to use the following as clock master:

Internal - Digital intputs Muted
Internal - Digital inputs Unmuted (This is the one I need, right?)
External
Word Clock

and then, set the D8 to external, and they will take care of the rest themselves as long as they're connected?
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

Adat and s/pdif both carry clock signals so you can use either of those instead of wordclock, but in my experienceI thought the sound tightened up a little bit when I used a high quality wordclock (bnc) cable.

I have no means of measuring that but in my mind, the difference was there. YMMV!

Some people might say that the first device in the chain coming in should be the master, in your case the D8, but it's more practical to use your main interface as the master.

If you use adat instead of wordclock for sync then yes it would be int/unmuted, whichever way you do it if the 1814 is master then set the D8 to slave/external and you're good to go.
Old 12th January 2010
Gear Addict

Ok, I think that's about it. Thanks for the answers, man. This stuff has been giving me a headache (coupled with the move from Nuendo 3 to Cubase 5 on a 64-bit machine, new apartment, and a new untreated room).

Appreciate it!
Old 12th January 2010
Lives for gear

No problem, but seriously, make good use of the search funtion on here, there's so much info that invariably you will find what you're looking for without having to ask.

Good luck with C5, I'm bailing from SB and going Reaper, wish me luck heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search