The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Installing 3rd ATA drive in Quicksilver G4?
Old 22nd May 2003
Lives for gear

Installing 3rd ATA drive in Quicksilver G4?

It has been alleged that this is possible, but I can't seem to get it happening...

I've got a Quicksilver G4, 933mhz that's got the factory 60gig and another 80gig drive on top of that one down in the available space on the "floor" of the chassis. I've heard success stories from friends who say that I can put one of my growing herd of 120gig drives as a third internal up in the unused bay beneath the Superdrive..

Now I've just about sliced my hand open trying different configurations, choosing one power cable over another and moving jumpers around, but I can't seem to get it to go.

Has anyone else done this? Any tips?

thanks
-dave
Old 23rd May 2003
There is only one

i dunno. i have the 80GB system, an 80GB DMA, and 2x 10k scsi 36GB drives all in my dualGHz machine, but i cant remember how they are all in there. i think the scsi's are on the sleds on the bottom... and the two DMA's are stacked on each other. wait a minute, i will go open and look. yep. dats how dey is.

but cant DMA only have one master and one slave? i would assume you would need a DMA controller card. maybe im wrong on that one... but all my IDE cables only have two+ the board plugs on them.
Old 23rd May 2003
There is only one

although for more storage, im just adding firewire drives.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Well, there are two ATA buses inside the Mac; The one that the startup drive is on has all it can take (the startup, plus that extra 80gig). Then, there's the other ATA bus that the Superdrive-burner is on... That's where I'm trying to add this extra drive, on the extra node on that bus' ribbon cable. But I can't seem to get it to go.

I'd usually just add it as a firewire drive, but I'm at a point where I have a large number of firewire drives, in various states of "shelving", and a few extra raw drives that I sometimes swap firewire chassis for. I just thought I'd save a chassis-transplantation and just throw one of the extra raw drives into that empty slot in the mac...

It seemed simple enough at the time I thought of it. ..

-dave
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear