The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mathew Lane releases version 3 of the DrMS spatial processor plugin
Old 6th September 2010 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc ➑️
seems to use less DSP now as well , am i correct ?
I haven't really measured that as we didn't change anything in the processing-code itself. There were some changes done in how the plugin interacts with the host however, maybe that has a small CPU gain
Old 21st September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Up

Matti
Old 15th December 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just wanted to chime in here that I think this plugin is AWESOME...

I'm pretty sure I don't use it in the intended way, I really use it more as an effect as I don't do a lot of mastering, but I just think its a really cool thing that gets me to think differently about the stereo field.

Its really just a ton of fun to turn knobs and see what happens.

Though I've gotten some cool sounds (and crazy distortion out of my speakers!) from messing with the feedback knob, I'm trying to figure out how this might be useful... any users here want to help me out?

Love this thing, can't wait to really push it to see what it can do.
Old 15th December 2010 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaLucid34 ➑️
I'm pretty sure I don't use it in the intended way, I really use it more as an effect as I don't do a lot of mastering, but I just think its a really cool thing that gets me to think differently about the stereo field.

Its really just a ton of fun to turn knobs and see what happens.

Though I've gotten some cool sounds (and crazy distortion out of my speakers!) from messing with the feedback knob, I'm trying to figure out how this might be useful... any users here want to help me out?
DrMS is also meant for the more creative effects, which is why most controls offer a far more extreme range then you'd ever need in a mastering situation. More adventurous uses are typically useful on synths/keys, guitar-busses and background vocals.

The feedback knob can be tricky, as you can get full on feedback heh The trick is to have sensible settings in the Focus and Field section (use the filters to keep everything under control), and then slowly open the feedback until you get the wanted result. It can be used to give some more reverb-like sounds, but also for creative effects like the Ring Stinger preset shows.
The feedback is not something you'd use often, but every now and then, it's just what the doctor ordered
Old 30th December 2010 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
There's a review of DrMS in the current TapeOp issue (no. 80)
It explains nicely what it is all about and discusses some real-world examples. Check it out, sure will help to get your head around DrMS
Old 6th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for responding Delta... I appreciate it...

And I very much appreciate the work that went into this. Thank you.
Old 12th January 2011 | Show parent
COD
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Having some trouble getting this plugin to work unfortunately... After reading a review in TapeOp, I have downloaded the demo, but both the RTAS as well as the VST versions make my Pro-Tools 6.7 crash instantly. I couldn't find anything about the compatibility of DrMs; is my PT version just too old? I'm on a Windows XP pc.
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by COD ➑️
Having some trouble getting this plugin to work unfortunately... After reading a review in TapeOp, I have downloaded the demo, but both the RTAS as well as the VST versions make my Pro-Tools 6.7 crash instantly. I couldn't find anything about the compatibility of DrMs; is my PT version just too old? I'm on a Windows XP pc.
I'm afraid your ProTools is indeed too old... DrMS was tested with ProTools 7, 8 and 9.
COD
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Aargh that's a bummer. An older version of DrMs will not work on 6.7 either?
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by COD ➑️
Aargh that's a bummer. An older version of DrMs will not work on 6.7 either?
Sadly no, from the very first version on (back in 2008), DrMS required at least ProTools 7.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any chance of putting up some videos showing the plug in real world use?
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North ➑️
Any chance of putting up some videos showing the plug in real world use?
I should make some, people asked about tutorial videos before
But I can't seem to get to making 'm, other work keeps coming in between
They're still on the to-do list heh
Old 13th January 2011 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Just found out TapeOp published their review also online:
Tape Op Magazine > Reviews > DrMS v3 mid/side processor plug-in
Old 16th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Messed with the demo for a few hours and I really got to say I'm impressed. This is a very, very clever tool and one that adresses what no other plugin of my knowledge does.

So far, the Elysia compressor (the plugin version of the big mastering one, don't remember its name) was the only one that had really impressed me for ITB stereo field tweaking, but it's quite a different animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaLucid34 ➑️
(...) I'm trying to figure out how this might be useful... any users here want to help me out?
Haven't tested it inside out yet, but I may report on my experience : I had very sparse mix, mostly a 1932 Gibson L00 and vocals, and just a very few other instruments on the bridge. Ac Gtr was tracked in MS with a AEA R88, with a touch of a close Senn 441 and a distant AEA R44, both very low in the mix.

My problem was to come with the guitar not too wide (10ft-wide instruments are often one pet peeve of mine), yet maintain a nice stereo image and dynamic. I could have compressed it more for it not to compete with the vocal for placement, but it would have been at the detriment of the nuance and texture in the playing, already adressed by a nice touch of comp. I could also have panned it slightly to one side, but the song required a centered image. Finally, I could also have sent the guitar further in the back with reverb or room mic, but it would have lost as much of its intimate and close feeling.

DrMS was exactly the tool to "trowel" the placement of the instrument against the vocal, and it allows you to manipulate the image very much like painting, so to speak. Brillant.
Old 11th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i was glad pensado showcased it in his last show...

i dont personally own the plugin but ive used it once at a studio i sessioned in... and, from a mic placement studio droog's perspective.. i was amazed...

can't wait to buy it...
Old 8th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Later that day....

Dr.! I've been researching Stereo Width & MS things in general and came across this today & downloaded the demo...thank you!

I shall be getting the plug

I've got it & Digi's Stereo Width thing on a same bus and just comparing in general and going back & forth in mono to try to get a grip on what's doing what
Again thanks!
Old 8th May 2011 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the great feedback guys
πŸ“ Reply