The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
112dB Redline Preamp
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackback Drop View Post
DJ, forget knocking; I been chopin down wood all week!!
In that case, stoke the fire and download the damn thing already!

Errrr... yes, it's out.

-- dj!
Old 13th January 2010
Can't stop buying gear...

Excellent! Downloading the demo now. heh

You may want to update your download form to include Snow Leopard (10.6) and Logic 9. Or not.
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Congrats dj on the new Preamp.

Downloading...

G
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
You may want to update your download form to include Snow Leopard (10.6) and Logic 9. Or not.
Very good point & added! Thanks for pointing that out--I don't visit the demo download pages as often as I used to anymore.

-- dj!
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Hey DJ,

Sent you an e-mail via the boards, hope you get it ok
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
Hey DJ,

Sent you an e-mail via the boards, hope you get it ok
Actually... apparently not, at least nothing in my inbox? Perhaps best resend it to dj@[lotsofdB].com

Thanks!

-- dj!
Old 13th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow! I like it!
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

EDIT...discovered the what the clip knob does...lots of distortion to be had by all...

I should stop posting before learning how something works..but the more I play the more I like..Nice!
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
It would be nice tho for the distortion not to be so dependant on the eq section, without eq engaged the saturation level drops, which is a shame...
Hmmm... I think there is some misunderstanding going on here. The "EQ" section doesn't actually EQ the input signal but merely determines which parts of the audio spectrum generates saturation. They're saturation bands rather than EQ bands, really. Disable one and you actually disable the saturation for that particular frequency range.

Does that make any sense?

-- dj!

Edit: you figured it out by yourself before I managed to finish my post. heh
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj! (112dB) View Post
Actually... apparently not, at least nothing in my inbox? Perhaps best resend it to dj@[lotsofdB].com

Thanks!

-- dj!
Hi,

That e-mail addy doesn't seem to work. Yahoo mail gives me an error...

"There was a problem!
The recipient info doesn't seem quite right. Please look it over and try again."

I tried it without the brackets too, but got a send failure.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

The company's name is 112dB, so how many dB are "lotsofdB"?
Old 13th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzel View Post
The company's name is 112dB, so how many dB are "lotsofdB"?
Doh!!
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Addict

Wow demoing now.

So far I am Luving this the texture this thing wraps around the sound. Dnt knw if I am judging with my ears or heart but at the moment I am happy.

DJ u did it again with this one.

your eq is always in my chain mainly for the dynamic section/de-esser.

cant wait to purchase this after further testing which I doubt I even need as my mind is already made up.thumbsup
Old 14th January 2010
Gear Addict

Ooh and I didn't mention; that vintage skin is really easy on the eye too.thumbsup
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

This product appears to be really quite deep. Impressive tonal range whilst remaining subtle. It sounds great so far.
Old 14th January 2010
Gear nut

One sentence review:

I tried it, I liked it, it's easy on CPU, so I bought it.
Old 14th January 2010
Lives for gear

The pain.. the horror... I have to wait another 2 hours at least before I can try this thing out. If I only could just skip the last 2 hours and go home right now.

No.. that's not possible I'm affraid.
Old 15th January 2010
I have not tested the preamp plugin enough..

but the reverb is one of the best I've heard in the plugin realm..

ups. why did I miss that?
good work guys! will try more and report back.
Old 15th January 2010
Lives for gear

This is a terrific plug in. Buying!

Sounds great, maps beautifully on the Smart console.
Old 15th January 2010
Gear addict

Another YEEHAW! from here too..

I've used reverb since it was released and recommend it, and today bought Preamp straight off... Excellent work!

(see my other post about EQ.. LOL)

I like it so much I've posted my digidesign reel tape saturation license for sale on DUC...

Keep 'em comin'
Old 15th January 2010
Gear nut

I'm also thinking of buying it. This one goes deep, lots of gainstages. Turning the drive knob kind of compresses the signal, playing with the make-up gain and the ceiling saturates the signal and then there are the tone knobs, to saturate different bands. The warmth knob is a sort of lowpass filter...

And it sounds good! Saturating only the mid bands on a drumbuss while playing with the dry/wet button and sweeping through the frequencies sounds great! The operation of the plug is quite innovative.
Old 17th January 2010
I am still having problems fuguring out if its better now or not with the preamp plugin..

Will make a new mix next week.

The reverb kills! good bye CSR.
Old 23rd January 2010
ep1c0ne
Would using an instance on every channel emulate an analog console / summing?
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep1c0ne View Post
As well as any other saturation plug IMO. Plus the 112db Preamp can be way more subtle than other plugs of a similar purpose. It is also more versatile regarding the shape of the sound.

Try it. If you know what you're doing with it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. And it's certainly more than efficient enough to be used on every track.
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
As well as any other saturation plug IMO. Plus the 112db Preamp can be way more subtle than other plugs of a similar purpose. It is also more versatile regarding the shape of the sound.

Try it. If you know what you're doing with it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. And it's certainly more than efficient enough to be used on every track.
Another good and versatile "Saturation" processor that I have had a very good experience with on an old mix recently is this new vst: MeldaProduction MMultiBandSaturator
Old 23rd January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep1c0ne View Post
Would it be put at the end of every channel or the beginning?
Old 23rd January 2010
ep1c0ne
Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Hey DJ!

Congrats on the new plug!!!

Does this plug have Control Surface support for the Digi 002?

I ask because Redline Reverb & Redline EQ do not.

Not on my system anyway...

PowerMac G5 DualCore 2.3 (PPC) with 8GB of RAM, Tiger 10.4.11,
Digidesign Digi 002 (Console), Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10

Thanks!
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange View Post
Would it be put at the end of every channel or the beginning?
Some people make a big fuss about this. I suppose there could be some smart theories behind where in the chain to put a saturation plugin, but personally, with this sort of plugin I feel it can go first, middle, or last.

I mean, if you had a wicked hardware preamp and you were going to send your DAW tracks through it, I'm sure it would sound good if you sent them through before EQ/compression OR after EQ/compression. Either way you'd be getting nice analog saturation.

Well I think the same applies to a plug like Redline Preamp. You could saturate first in the chain so that your EQ / compression decisions are influenced by the saturation effect, or you could get your tracks 90% there with EQ / compression first, then polish off that extra 10% with some careful saturation afterward.

The point is, there are no rules with this stuff. If it sounds good, it's good.

Cheers.
Old 24th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder View Post
Some people make a big fuss about this. I suppose there could be some smart theories behind where in the chain to put a saturation plugin, but personally, with this sort of plugin I feel it can go first, middle, or last.

I mean, if you had a wicked hardware preamp and you were going to send your DAW tracks through it, I'm sure it would sound good if you sent them through before EQ/compression OR after EQ/compression. Either way you'd be getting nice analog saturation.

Well I think the same applies to a plug like Redline Preamp. You could saturate first in the chain so that your EQ / compression decisions are influenced by the saturation effect, or you could get your tracks 90% there with EQ / compression first, then polish off that extra 10% with some careful saturation afterward.

The point is, there are no rules with this stuff. If it sounds good, it's good.

Cheers.
I guess if you wanted to simulate analog summing you put it it last on everything except the master... on the master put it first.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search