The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube FET Compressor - New York Style Compression Preset (download)
Old 4th December 2009
Audio Alchemist

Softube FET Compressor - New York Style Compression Preset (download)

Softube FET Compressor New York Style Preset
This is a New York style (parallel compression) preset for the Softube FET Compressor. Nothing advanced about it but useful if you're feeling lazy. :-)

Download preset
Links | Audio Articles, Technical Tips, Download Presets

Softube FET Compressor
FET Compressor by Softube

Preset Compatibility
Mac AU Preset (Logic Pro and other AU compatible applications)

Screenshot included for reference purposes (PC/VST or TDM users).

AU Preset Installation
Place the AU Preset entitled New York Comp.aupreset here:

Mac HD > YourUserName > Library > Audio > Presets > Softube > FET Compressor >

If the folders do not exist already then create them.

Use
The preset will fatten the sound and bring up tails by adding a heavily compressed signal to the dry signal. The processed part of the signal signal has its transients squashed by a very fast lookahead attack and high ratio. This means more fullness while maintaining the original punch.

How To Adjust
Look at the right Gain Reduction meter. Try to get around -20 dB of constant gain reduction This is essential. More, and it will start to distort, less and the trick won’t work properly.

Leave Ratio and Attack alone but you can adjust the Release knob in order to control the pumping or tails. Faster release = more pump and tails. Slower relase = less pump and less tails.

You can adjust the Parallel Inject (dry/wet) knob if the overall effect is too pronounced. Turning towards “comp” gives you more of the effect while turning towards “dry” will give you less of the effect.

Adjust the Output knob to match the peak level of the original before-signal if you wish to compare A/B.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

nice, thanks :-)
Old 6th December 2009
Gear Addict

Not a Softube FET user (yet... been meaning to demo it and the CL1b), but I think it's pretty cool that you've posted a useful preset. It'd be nice to see more of this from the community.

Cheers thumbsup

G3
Old 7th December 2009
Gear nut

Thanks for the preset. I copied the settings from the screen. The parallel inject function is great! Didn't think of using the lookahead at the same time. It makes stuff pretty beefy and tight.

I sometimes use the FET with 1:1 ratio, just to saturate stuff with the input knob (it emulates the input and output stage of a 1176). The FET is quite diverse in comparison to the other 1176 clones.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

OT: i think it's one of the finest GUIs ever.
Old 7th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonsound View Post
Agree. How does it sound?
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Marantz stereo reciever?
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

cool thanks ! happy Softube user here...
Old 7th December 2009
Audio Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADamage View Post
Thanks for the preset. I copied the settings from the screen. The parallel inject function is great! Didn't think of using the lookahead at the same time. It makes stuff pretty beefy and tight.
Yes indeed, one of the tricks here is instant attack and the lookahead helps achieve the correct attack.

For those who haven't tried it yet, remember to get around -20 dB of GR for this trick. Simply adjust the input until you get it. Then adjust the output to match the orignal peak level for quick A/B.

I'm looking forward to using it for other things in the near future.
Old 7th December 2009
Lives for gear

great!...thanks Lagerfeldt
Old 6th January 2010
Quote:
love the vintage marantz receiver look

Old 23rd January 2010
Lives for gear

holy **** .....!!
i'm demoing it actualy and it's pretty crazy on vocals and the high freq adjustment can color and sweeten takes like crazy , still thinkin about the the cla , but this seems way more versatyle !!

can do the same with plugins chains but man , you can make in a second with this **** !!

itried it just after my duende ssl channel strip .....: crazy !!
Old 12th August 2010
late to the thread but excellent none the less

ot:
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks.
Logic compressor plug-in let's you do this using the output mix control. IMHO it doesn't sound as good as this, though.
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Brilliant Preset and Good Page.

Loving the Logic Track Icons though, big time!

thumbsup.
Old 12th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Yes indeed, one of the tricks here is instant attack and the lookahead helps achieve the correct attack.

For those who haven't tried it yet, remember to get around -20 dB of GR for this trick. Simply adjust the input until you get it. Then adjust the output to match the orignal peak level for quick A/B.

I'm looking forward to using it for other things in the near future.
Mr.Lagerfeldt... first of all thank you very very much for you contributions to this forum. Second, next to the logic "SSL" preset you made a time a go, this one is also in the same range... KILLER. Really nice preset. Just set-up, a bit a of tweak and here you go! thumbsup
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Mr.Lagerfeldt... first of all thank you very very much for you contributions to this forum. Second, next to the logic "SSL" preset you made a time a go, this one is also in the same range... KILLER. Really nice preset. Just set-up, a bit a of tweak and here you go! thumbsup
I have the Waves SSL Comp and the Logic preset is closer than other SSL Logic preset yet.
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

Love it! Thank you. Works like a charm on voiceover too.
Old 18th August 2010
Gear interested
Quote:
For real! For a few seconds I was like ... "is that real?"
Old 15th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Softube FET Compressor New York Style Preset
This is a New York style (parallel compression) preset for the Softube FET Compressor. Nothing advanced about it but useful if you're feeling lazy. :-)

Download preset
Links | Audio Articles, Technical Tips, Download Presets

Softube FET Compressor
FET Compressor by Softube

Preset Compatibility
Mac AU Preset (Logic Pro and other AU compatible applications)

Screenshot included for reference purposes (PC/VST or TDM users).

AU Preset Installation
Place the AU Preset entitled New York Comp.aupreset here:

Mac HD > YourUserName > Library > Audio > Presets > Softube > FET Compressor >

If the folders do not exist already then create them.

Use
The preset will fatten the sound and bring up tails by adding a heavily compressed signal to the dry signal. The processed part of the signal signal has its transients squashed by a very fast lookahead attack and high ratio. This means more fullness while maintaining the original punch.

How To Adjust
Look at the right Gain Reduction meter. Try to get around -20 dB of constant gain reduction This is essential. More, and it will start to distort, less and the trick won’t work properly.

signal if you wish to compare A/B.
I'm confused doesn't your right gain reduction meter in the picture read 0?
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear
lol.

as if that means anything. he obviously posted a screenshot of the plugin when it wasn't processing any audio - the point is to see the settings on the plugin so you can dial them in on yours.

also, this is an old thread you bumped.
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Love the FET. Great post and worth reviving some two years later.
cdlt
Old 16th October 2011
so when it is playing the audio should be pulling that far to the left.

i had the same question 2 years later. i'm slow
Old 19th October 2011
Audio Alchemist

On the gain reduction meter, yes. This is stated a couple of times in my posts in bold font but I guess a picture is worth a thousand words ;-) Can't be bothered to change the screenshot now though.
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

Used this plug in on another piece today. Amazing how good this compressor can sound and again - although at another end of the spectrum from the RS124 - alike in that they can each do things very few if any of the others can do.

BTW - the New York preset sounds wonderful (thanks Lagerfeldt) - and it is fairly easy to just pop it in the mix.
Cdkt
Old 25th January 2012
Audio Alchemist

You're welcome, I'm glad you found it useful
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Head

hi

how to install this preset on PC/Win ? thanks
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsol View Post
hi

how to install this preset on PC/Win ? thanks

You can do as I did and just copy the settings as you see it on the screen. Once you do that just save it as a preset, "New York Compression Trick". Simple enough since his preset is for Mac users.
Old 15th January 2013

One of the few itb compressors I would ever use, great preset also
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

Hi, I have encountered a problem with FET at Logic Pro. When I have the Lookahead at 1ms, the sound looks like it has been put through a Phaser fx. When Lookahead is at 0ms, the sound is ok. I did exactly what Lagerfeldt said, but the sound is really strange.

I never had the same problem with other compressors when I put them at buss (pre-fader) to use them as parallel compressors.

Can anyone help?
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search