The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Pro vs i7 iMac
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Do you actually have anything that would use USB3? Of course not and USB3 still will not be able to compete with firewire let alone SATA for realtime hard-disk access. now if they added eSATA to the imac then it would be alot more interesting to me.

Intel wont include USB3 into the south bridge untill next year and i doubt apple would use an extra controller for it before then, so you will be waiting awile to have it on a imac.

which ever system you get configure it with 6GB or 12GB memory (3x DIMMS) or you wont be able to get the most out of the system
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
Do you actually have anything that would use USB3? Of course not and USB3 still will not be able to compete with firewire let alone SATA for realtime hard-disk access. now if they added eSATA to the imac then it would be alot more interesting to me.

Intel wont include USB3 into the south bridge untill next year and i doubt apple would use an extra controller for it before then, so you will be waiting awile to have it on a imac.

which ever system you get configure it with 6GB or 12GB memory (3x DIMMS) or you wont be able to get the most out of the system
why not 8 GB (2X4 GB or 4X2 GB) ? why would that be less efficient than 3X 2 GB? Just asking as I will be using Logic Pro and I heard something that it does not see more than 2 GB of RAM, but I hope that's not true...
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Nut

Right, now I am also worried that if I purchase a Mac Pro or iMac I might need to upgrade to USB 3.0 in a couple of months...would that be possible without major complications?
by the way, why do you think eSATA is so much better than USB 3.0....
see this article

USB 3.0 will crush eSATA, FireWire | Cutting Edge - CNET News
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

If you got a MacPro you'll most likely be able to just buy a PCIe card with USB3.0 ports. Just a hunch.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublethumb View Post
why not 8 GB (2X4 GB or 4X2 GB) ? why would that be less efficient than 3X 2 GB? Just asking as I will be using Logic Pro and I heard something that it does not see more than 2 GB of RAM, but I hope that's not true...
The i7 and Xeon 5500 processors have triple channel memory, the only way to make use of it is to use 3 DIMMS. using 2 DIMMS should still make use of duel channel while using 4 DIMMS may default back to single channel for all the memory. Any unbalanced configuration can default back to single channel. Using multiple DIMMS on a single channel will also slow the channel down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublethumb View Post
Right, now I am also worried that if I purchase a Mac Pro or iMac I might need to upgrade to USB 3.0 in a couple of months...would that be possible without major complications?
by the way, why do you think eSATA is so much better than USB 3.0....
see this article

USB 3.0 will crush eSATA, FireWire | Cutting Edge - CNET News
USB has to wait for the CPU before it will do anything, FW and SATA have direct memory access. Therefore USB can never be realtime while FW and SATA can be.
As to raw throughput, USB3 may catch SATA 2 but where are any USB3 devices? yet SATA is already moving on and SATA 3 hard disk are already available, a bit pointless as hard disks cant even max out SATA2 but SSDs will make use of SATA3.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

the 27 i7 owns. i feel like i'm keeping a secret from people having this computer.
Old 11th May 2010
I think the i7 iMac is a smart choice for mid range studio musicians...IE people who dont and wont be using Protools HD rigs/UAD cards/high end PCIe IO solutions....
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
The i7 and Xeon 5500 processors have triple channel memory, the only way to make use of it is to use 3 DIMMS. using 2 DIMMS should still make use of duel channel while using 4 DIMMS may default back to single channel for all the memory. Any unbalanced configuration can default back to single channel. Using multiple DIMMS on a single channel will also slow the channel down.
But tests seem to show a difference in performance of about 2% when the iMac i7 is used in single, dual or triple channel configuration...? it does not seem to matter that much from some reviews I read. I am more concerned that I will be using Logic 8 Pro and I read somewhere that it seems to use only 2 GB RAM no matter how much RAM you have (don't remember where I read it). is this true..?.
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

Ok but there is no esata nor USB 3 and not sure there ever will be as they would eat into mac pro space.

Bethatasitmay, lol, if your HD is fw 800 and you audio device is 400, all the hard drives will slow to 400 speeds.

Thoughts?
Old 18th November 2010
Lives for gear

You can pull the DVD burner in an iMac and put in a second SATA drive.
The only thing that bugs me about the iMac when pushing it with a big mix the fans kick in - drove me nuts I upgraded to a 12 Core Mac Pro HD 3 system instead - of course I had to get the 27" LED monitor too. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search