The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
All RME Fireface 800 are defective Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd November 2009
  #61
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo

Quote:
Just a question?
What exactly are you trying to do with the setup you have?
From your video....
1 FF800
1 OctamicD

Adat channel from the OctamicD (that's (1) one optic cable from "Main" out from the OctamicD to "Adat1 In" on the FF800).
That Adat into the FF800 is (A1-8)
Your not thinking that the OctamicD gives you 8 analog ouputs and an additional different 8 Adat outputs are you?
....or by using the two Adat ports Main and Aux out of the Octamic you get 16 are you?
That ain't how it works....
You can mix or route the analog outs from the Octamic and use the Adat but they will always be the 8 inputs.
1 will analog and 1 will be digital but they will be the same
Rest assured that I fully grasp the concept of "channels".
Yes, I know that the OctamicD will only ever provide 8 distinct channels, be they delivered electrically or optically.

But that's the beauty of it in this context.
I know that I should be getting the same signal (i.e., with regards to clicking) coming into the FF800, whether it is Analog-channel5, ADAT1-channel5 or ADAT2-channel5.

But that's exactly NOT what is happening. They are all DIFFERENT! Why?

Last edited by stdenisg; 22nd November 2009 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 22nd November 2009
  #62
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdenisg View Post

Option 1: FF800=GOOD, MySetup=BAD
But Synthax charged me 575$ to repair the FF800 I sent them.
Why was this necessary if the clicks are caused by my setup?
Ooops!

Option 2: FF800=BAD, MySetup=GOOD
Synthax charged me 575$ to repair the FF800 I sent them.
Why is the "repaired" FF800 still clicking?
Ooops!
this option 1 and 2 are all distant to reality and i'm sure i can tell you you've been ripped off by synthax. your FF had anything.. and you paid for a non repairment..

if the problem is the FF (in the second option) and they had repaired it without solving the problem, means they have not found the problem so they have not repaired it.

i'm very sure your problem is in your setup.

i hate this kind of things because manufactures should sell product telling you "isn't 100% compatible" and than a long list printed in the product box that tells you what you should use to use it, so you know from the beginning that you have to change this and that thing in your setup to make it work properly.

and honestly i encourage you to make a petition about this because they are ripping off people telling them it is compatible.

anyway i think you can solve your problem working on your setup.

clean your system and connect only the FF800 and the octamic (keyboard and mouse nothing more)

if you still have the problem try changing the FW port or changing (or adding a new) FW card with a dedicated bus. you could have problem with the FW chipset.. that means put a texas instrument (i don't recall exactly the name, model) FW chipset.. which is the most popular.

another thing.. if, for example, you have a mac pro (like me) put the FF800 in the FW800 in the back, not the one in the front.. the front one get clicks.. the rear not.

things like that can solve your problem.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #63
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
The OctamicD only has one Adat ouput..."Main" (A1-A8)
the Aux is the same thing as the Main they're just parallel optical outputs not two separate Adat channels!
You could use that to send the same Adat channels to another system but it will still be channels mic 1-8.
Adat1 In on the FF800 will only recognize channels and sync (1-8)
Adat2 In on the FF800 will only recognize channels and sync (9-16)
you only have one Adat input (1-8), you don't have (9-16).

Please try this:
Use one optical cable from Octamic "Main" to "Adat1 In" on the FF800 and set the FF800 to "Autosync" in the dialog box.
You should see "Adat1" and the sync ref in the FF setup. Nothing else needs to be set....
Disconnect your patch cable between the Octamic analog outs and the FF800 analog inputs...
Feed your source into the Octamic inputs 1-8 and the FF800 1-8 (don't worry about 9 & 10)

I would use your DAW and set up 16 channels to record AN1-8 (FF800) and A1-A8 (Octamic) and run it for 10-15 minutes at 44.1khz....
Using Digicheck might be causing the clicks and iffy....
If you use Digicheck your not monitoring the FW400/800 connection into the PC and DAW software....

Please try that configuration with just that and tell me what happens...
Old 22nd November 2009
  #64
Gear Nut
 

@mattianlaseppia

Thanks for the tips.

At this point, the most efficient way to solve it is one of the following.

A: have some other FF800 user test MY FF800 on their system

B: try another non-defective FF800 on my setup

I tried option B last Sunday.
The rented FF800 had ADAT1=clean, ADAT2=clicks.
I'm don't know if that FF800 would have behaved differently when tested on their computer setup.

We didn't have time to test my FF800 on their computer setup...

I'm willing to meet anyone within a reasonable distance (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto) and have a FF800 testing party.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdenisg View Post
@mattianlaseppia

Thanks for the tips.

At this point, the most efficient way to solve it is one of the following.

A: have some other FF800 user test MY FF800 on their system

B: try another non-defective FF800 on my setup

I tried option B last Sunday.
The rented FF800 had ADAT1=clean, ADAT2=clicks.
I'm don't know if that FF800 would have behaved differently when tested on their computer setup.

We didn't have time to test my FF800 on their computer setup...

I'm willing to meet anyone within a reasonable distance (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto) and have a FF800 testing party.
hey man.. stop doing test with other FF i say this because i think the problem will still happen, but maybe will happen differently because there's a "random component" and when you test it you could have different results which can make you think all the ff800 are defective .. which honestly doesn't make sense.. i mean it could make sense, but i think not from RME.. they are no saints.. but they are not like AKAI (for example) which sells completely defective products most of the times, some of them defective when you receive them, other time will be defective in one or two years.

the RME fireface is very solid, i can say this because a lot of my friends had this interface and i got it 5 years ago and never had a problem.

man a FW pci card costs 30$ or something like that.. get a texas instrument one.. do some research here and other forums to see which is the better one.. i just know it has a texas instrument chipset..

if you are lucky with 30$ you have solved your problem. if you can't add a pci FW.. try changing your setup.. but i'm pretty sure it depends to the FW.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #66
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo

This test isn't exactly what you requested, but it's close:
FF800 slaved to OctamicD
48000 Hz
1 ADAT connection
Digicheck
YouTube - test008

I will run the exact test you requested later today and will report back.

Thanks!
Old 22nd November 2009
  #67
Lives for gear
 

try another thing.. use the wordclock to sync the two devices.. not via adat, it's better to keep the adat channel free from sync and use it only for audio.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #68
Gear Nut
 

@mattianlaseppia

Quote:
FW pci card costs 30$ or something like that.. get a texas instrument one.. do some research here and other forums to see which is the better one.. i just know it has a texas instrument chipset..
I have this one: ADSTechnologies API-311 PYRO (TI chipset)
ADS PYRO PCI 64, PYRO PCI 64R2 API-315, API-311-W

Never had an (obvious) problem.
I still don't see how a FW problem would only affect the ADAT channels...
Old 22nd November 2009
  #69
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
try another thing.. use the wordclock to sync the two devices.. not via adat, it's better to keep the adat channel free from sync and use it only for audio.
I know it's a long thread, but yes, this has been done.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #70
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdenisg View Post
@mattianlaseppia



I have this one: ADSTechnologies API-311 PYRO (TI chipset)
ADS PYRO PCI 64, PYRO PCI 64R2 API-315, API-311-W

Never had an (obvious) problem.
I still don't see how a FW problem would only affect the ADAT channels...
it's a problem of bandwidth. when you use only 8 analog input you use say.. 20% of bandwidth.. when you use adat you add another 20/30% of bandwidth.. all the times i had this kind of trouble were depending to the FW bandwidth.. i tried various way to optimize that thing.. and i found the solution.

i repeat.. please consider what i'm telling you.. your main problem is the FW bandwidth.

and that could be caused by a not totally compatible chipset, by a defective chipset, by the need of a secondary FW bus. it's really that the problem. i would like to pay this 30$ to make you try this thing.. unfortunately i'm poor...
Old 22nd November 2009
  #71
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
If it would help I could do a test with my rig....

What I have is a ZED16R mixer with 16 channels of Adat running into the FF800 (Adat1 & 2), so I have a total of 26 channels and I'm running the sample rate at 44.1khz with 256 buffers (Cubase reports around 8msec latency).

I would need to figure out a way to connect the function generator to all inputs simultaneously without loading down the generator?!!!?
Maybe there's a way to bus one channel in to the rest in TotalMix...not sure about that....any thoughts out there....??????
Set up 26 tracks in Cubase to each channel
Then record all of them for 10 minutes??
I'm pretty sure I have plenty of drive space.
That might tax my PC though, I might get dropouts right there...LOL
But it might be interesting to do because I've never done that before and would be a cool test and good to know....
Actually that would be a good test of my entire system, not that I would ever need it in my situation....
I rarely have 26 channels of input and I don't know if I have room for that many people at the same time....would be a tight fit....
Old 22nd November 2009
  #72
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stdenisg View Post
@djmukilteo

Rest assured that I fully grasp the concept of "channels".
Yes, I know that the OctamicD will only ever provide 8 distinct channels, be they delivered electrically or optically.

But that's the beauty of it in this context.
I know that I should be getting the exact same signal coming into the FF800, whether it is Analog-channel5, ADAT1-channel5 or ADAT2-channel5.

But that's exactly NOT what is happening. They are all DIFFERENT! Why?
This was why I wanted to remove the patch cable component from the equation.
Feed the signal source to the Octamic mic inputs AND the FF800 directly and do not use the Octamic analog outputs as the source for the FF800 inputs which is what I think your doing...
And you will never get the same exact signal from the analogs as you will from the optical....there is a delay in the analog conversion which is not a component of the optical outputs....maybe your seeing some sort of skewing issue....or maybe there's a problem with the recorder in Digicheck....maybe it has a buffer overrun or overflow error.
If you want 18 digital channels over FW into your PC DAW then you wanna use the Adat on the Octamic thru the FF800....unless you have another FW device that you could plug those both into...
Old 22nd November 2009
  #73
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo
Running your requested test right now...

Quote:
I would need to figure out a way to connect the function generator to all inputs simultaneously without loading down the generator?!!!?
I'm no expert, but I've been using Y-cables for all of my tests. Should I be worried? No one has ever warned me not to do it...

Quote:
Maybe there's a way to bus one channel in to the rest in TotalMix
Well, to test this properly, you have to provide the signal through the FF800 ADAT inputs... so I believe any signal multing would have to occur OUTSIDE TotalMix.

Good luck!

Last edited by stdenisg; 22nd November 2009 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd November 2009
  #74
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo

Quote:
And you will never get the same exact signal from the analogs as you will from the optical....there is a delay in the analog conversion which is not a component of the optical outputs....
Yes. I should've chosen my words more carefully. I didn't mean "exact same" in the sense "sample for sample identical", I meant "any significant signal defect (e.g., click) coming into the OctamicD inputs should show up at all of its outputs" sense...
Old 22nd November 2009
  #75
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
Ya...Y cables are fine as an analog method, you will load down your source output though....and I don't have a 26 channel Y cable unless I built something or jumpered a bunch of cables together... so I was trying to think of an easier way of doing that!
I was thinking maybe I could submix the source input in TotalMix to all the other inputs which would be pure digital routing, but I've never experimented with that...I think it's possible....should be.??
I think I just need to set all channel inputs to the source input channel...
I'll try it on a couple channels and see what happens...
Old 22nd November 2009
  #76
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo

Just ran 4 more tests using your suggestions:
  • Used Ableton Live to record
  • SD702.TapeOut[left] -> Octa.AnalogInputs[1-8]
  • FF800 (AutoSync) slaved to OctamicD
  • HOSA 'Premium' TOSLINK cable (the best I've got right now)

test101 (ADAT1/44100): no clicks
OctamicD DIP switches: 1:DOWN (irrelevant), ALL-OTHERS:UP
Octa.ADATMain -> FF800.ADAT1.Input

test102 (ADAT2/44100): no clicks
OctamicD DIP switches: 1:DOWN (irrelevant), ALL-OTHERS:UP
Octa.ADATMain -> FF800.ADAT2.Input

test103 (ADAT2/48000): clicks
OctamicD DIP switches: 1+3:DOWN, ALL-OTHERS:UP
Octa.ADATMain -> FF800.ADAT2.Input

test104 (ADAT1/48000): clicks
OctamicD DIP switches: 1+3:DOWN, ALL-OTHERS:UP
Octa.ADATMain -> FF800.ADAT1.Input

The lack of clicks at 44100 Hz is consistent with other tests I have made. The issue seems to appear much less frequently at this sample rate, but I have experienced it.

These tests were interesting in that I had never used something other than Digicheck to record.
They did however confirm my instinct that throwing a complex piece of software like Cubase or Live into the procedure, with all of their settings and requirements, does not make troubleshooting any easier.

Well, back to the drawing board...

Last edited by stdenisg; 22nd November 2009 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd November 2009
  #77
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
One error I believe ....
DIP switch 2 on the OctamicD should be set to EXT (Slave) and the FF800 has to be the Master not slave.
The OctamicD has no FW interface so it needs to be a Slave no way around that
Like you said DIP 1 doesn't matter and Word Clock is not needed anyway.
You should be able to run that at 44.1 or 48Khz with Adat 1-8 (Single Speed)
Old 23rd November 2009
  #78
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
Also I would abandon using Digicheck for now as it is another variable that is not needed...
Let's focus on the dropouts and isolate each part within your DAW over FW....that's the only thing that matters...
You can't prove anything like this using Digicheck!

BTW....just curious...what is the rest of your system?
Are you planning on using this for like 18 mic inputs and outputs?
Any mixer?...or just ITB DAW recording thru these two RME devices?
Also what type/speed of hardrive do you have in your PC?
I noticed you have 2G of RAM which is OK but I would have more, especially if you have any other services or processes running in the background.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #79
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
oh...and you are using a continuous sine wave as a source right?

here's a calibrated 1khz tone in case you don't have one!
I have a Pink Noise full bandwidth also...
Attached Files

1khz sine wave -20 dBFS.wav (5.03 MB, 126 views)

Old 23rd November 2009
  #80
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
oh and only use Adat1 in on the FF800
Old 23rd November 2009
  #81
Gear Maniac
 

just send the test tone to one analog and one ADAT input, but record all 16. find another computer and test your fireface with it. have you found any other complaints of clicks in Fireface recordings which were in the end attributable to the FF? Have you tried a different source of ADAT? Be sure that you control for all other variables before you decide what the problem is, or you'll just get frustrated.

In fact, there was a defective run of Multiface IIs. They had leaky capacitors which corroded the analog connectors and resulted in signal loss. I never saw much online about that, although it was a real problem. So I believe that there could be some defect in the Fireface, although frankly your thread title seems rather sensational. Also, whoever I talked to at the USA distributor was very forthcoming about the issue with the multiface.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #82
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brock View Post
In fact, there was a defective run of Multiface IIs. They had leaky capacitors which corroded the analog connectors and resulted in signal loss. I never saw much online about that, although it was a real problem. So I believe that there could be some defect in the Fireface, although frankly your thread title seems rather sensational. Also, whoever I talked to at the USA distributor was very forthcoming about the issue with the multiface.
Being forthcoming about issues when they're found is how you retain customers, and I'd have to say I've had good experiences with RME's support. My multiface I wound up having some issue that I've since forgotten (an input that was 'iffy' I think), it came back to me in a week in perfect shape all at no cost to me, under warranty. I also have a multiface II (which hasn't ever had problems) and know quite a few people who use the Fireface800 without any issue recording everything from orchestral work for pop and film to electronic & rock. One of them in particular was able to teach me about phase issues withing the processing of my Scope cards and how to correct it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdenisg View Post
The lack of clicks at 44100 Hz is consistent with other tests I have made. The issue seems to appear much less frequently at this sample rate, but I have experienced it.

These tests were interesting in that I had never used something other than Digicheck to record.
They did however confirm my instinct that throwing a complex piece of software like Cubase or Live into the procedure, with all of their settings and requirements, does not make troubleshooting any easier.

Well, back to the drawing board...
I haven't seen your zipfiles that I see at the end of the videos, but I had a bit more time to day to review your Youtube clips and I see sections of audio that are not 1-2 sample clicks as if there was a samplerate mismatch or clocking issue. When I have issues with clocking or samplerates fluctuating I get single cycle transients or dropouts either in solo or in series, not a complete dropout of data.

From what I could see on Youtube, you're having dropouts that are longer than a few samples, so my guess would be that a buffer somewhere is stalling or the multichannel write speed is failing for some reason. If the firewire card itself was dropping out I think you would experience the issue across every channel at once due to the way the incoming data will interleave (there aren't separate firewire buffers per input 'channel'.)

I agree with the removal of Digicheck from the recording process, although it can be used in parallel for the "Bit-Statistic & Noise" function (highly useful to troubleshoot clocking issues.) I recommend using Multichannel recording in Wavelab, since you seem to have that. Use the ASIO driver for the RME and setup the recording dialog in wavelab for more than 2 recorded channels (there's a botton top right in the recording dialogue) and then specify your multichannel recording format above that where you enter the file details.

Beyond that, you're going to have to find ways to replace or isolate components in the chain until you've swapped things one by one (finally up to perhaps the whole setup) until you get things sussed out, as you've already started to do.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #83
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo

Quote:
DIP switch 2 on the OctamicD should be set to EXT (Slave) and the FF800 has to be the Master not slave.
The OctamicD has no FW interface so it needs to be a Slave no way around that
Nope. You're contradicting yourself. I set it up like you originally asked:

Quote:
Use one optical cable from Octamic "Main" to "Adat1 In" on the FF800 and set the FF800 to "Autosync" in the dialog box.
Quote:
Also I would abandon using Digicheck for now as it is another variable that is not needed...
Let's focus on the dropouts and isolate each part within your DAW over FW....that's the only thing that matters...
You can't prove anything like this using Digicheck!
How will I know if there are clicks? I have to record what's coming out of the FF800 somehow...

Quote:
BTW....just curious...what is the rest of your system?
Are you planning on using this for like 18 mic inputs and outputs?
Any mixer?...or just ITB DAW recording thru these two RME devices?
Also what type/speed of hardrive do you have in your PC?
I noticed you have 2G of RAM which is OK but I would have more, especially if you have any other services or processes running in the background.
The FF800 is the heart of any number of setups that I choose to assemble based on the requirements: anything from (0 channel in/1 channel out) to (all channels in/ all channels out) is possible. I expect it to be able to handle what it was designed for flawlessly.

RE: hard drives and RAM... all this info is available on the test logs that are online. I posted the link earlier, and the link is also available from the YouTube video page. Yes, more is always better... but I don't see it as being relevant for this issue.

Quote:
and you are using a continuous sine wave as a source right?
To date, a 10 minute run of 20-20000 Hz sine sweeps and a 2 minute run of 1kHz sine has been my test program.
But I will try feeding 8 different signals into the Octamic-D to see what happens. Never tried that yet...

But regardless, if the FF800 can't handle a 'legal' signal, then it is defective. And that's what I've been feeding it.

@Brian Brock
Quote:
just send the test tone to one analog and one ADAT input, but record all 16.
I will try this.

Quote:
find another computer and test your fireface with it.
This is the second computer (different mother board, Firewire card, etc.)
I may get a MacBook and try that, eventually. If anyone is willing to let me test it on their PC, I will...

Quote:
have you found any other complaints of clicks in Fireface recordings which were in the end attributable to the FF?
No.

Quote:
Have you tried a different source of ADAT?
Yes, another OctamicD sent by Synthax. Also willing to try anything else I can get my hands on... anyone?

@valis
Quote:
I see sections of audio that are not 1-2 sample clicks as if there was a samplerate mismatch or clocking issue. When I have issues with clocking or samplerates fluctuating I get single cycle transients or dropouts either in solo or in series, not a complete dropout of data.
I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but it's not coming through. It looks like I'm having what kind of problem exactly?

Is this the problem you think I'm having?
Quote:
my guess would be that a buffer somewhere is stalling or the multichannel write speed is failing for some reason.
And this problem occurs in FF800 / FW / PC / Digicheck?

Quote:
If the firewire card itself was dropping out I think you would experience the issue across every channel at once due to the way the incoming data will interleave (there aren't separate firewire buffers per input 'channel'.)
Yes, this is what I believe also, which is why I'm not focusing on the Firewire component at this time.

Quote:
I agree with the removal of Digicheck from the recording process, although it can be used in parallel for the "Bit-Statistic & Noise" function (highly useful to troubleshoot clocking issues.) I recommend using Multichannel recording in Wavelab, since you seem to have that.
I've already tried Ableton Live as an alternative to DigiCheck a little earlier, but I'll try Wavelab as suggested for the hell of it.

Thanks everyone. Your input is appreciated.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #84
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
I don't think I've ever said to use the Octamic as a master.
I'm absolutely positive you have to have the FF800 as the master...
Old 23rd November 2009
  #85
Deleted User
Guest
Time to sell the RME stuff. Problem solvedthumbsup
Old 23rd November 2009
  #86
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
I thought you were recording using your DAW?
Abelton?
18 track setup?
Or are you trying to use Digicheck as a multitrack recorder?
Old 23rd November 2009
  #87
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
I would be more inclined to make a test using a calibrated broadband noise or a fixed mid-frequency than using a sine sweep from 20-20k.
There's alot of weird things that can happen in the low end and up in the high end.....you need to make sure your not seeing some filtering or loss of sample bits because of bandpass filtering. Both of those have roll off.
Another thing to try would be to limit the bandwidth on the FF800 to
Analog + SPDIF + ADAT1 which disables ADAT2 (CH 21-28) which your not using or shouldn't be!
Old 23rd November 2009
  #88
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo

Quote:
I don't think I've ever said to use the Octamic as a master.
I'm absolutely positive you have to have the FF800 as the master...
You asked me to set the FF800 to AutoSync. In this mode, the FF800 is SLAVE, and that means that the OctamicD has to be set to INTERNAL clock in order to be MASTER, which is what I did. And there were no obvious clocking issues...

Quote:
I thought you were recording using your DAW?
Abelton?
18 track setup?
Or are you trying to use Digicheck as a multitrack recorder?
I tried using Ableton Live to record. It made no difference: clicks appeared.

I am now trying to record with Wavelab as someone else suggested...

And yes, Digicheck records everything coming into the FF800, and is much simpler than Ableton, Cubase, Wavelab... and I strongly suspect that using Wavelab, or any other DAW, won't make any difference with regards to what is coming out of the FF800.

Not sure what you mean by 18 track setup...

Quote:
I would be more inclined to make a test using a calibrated broadband noise or a fixed mid-frequency than using a sine sweep from 20-20k.
There's alot of weird things that can happen in the low end and up in the high end.....you need to make sure your not seeing some filtering or loss of sample bits because of bandpass filtering. Both of those have roll off.
Well, show me something that says that the FF800 shouldn't be used to record what I am sending it and I will use something else.

Until then, it's not my job to find something it "likes".

All I have to do is to demonstrate that it can't handle something that it should be able to handle. And I have done that. Repeatedly.

It's now up to Synthax/RME to figure out WHY it's failing. Again, not my job.

If my system is at fault, well its something pretty damn evil... maybe an exorcist is required.


Quote:
Another thing to try would be to limit the bandwidth on the FF800 to
Analog + SPDIF + ADAT1 which disables ADAT2 (CH 21-28) which your not using or shouldn't be!
Tried that. No difference.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #89
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
Stdenisg:
Sorry you've gone thru all this....It's pretty hard to troubleshoot on a forum....If I had your stuff in front of me on my bench and my scope etc. It would be much easier to fix it....
From what I'm seeing on your posts here and on RME and YouTube you've been working this issue since June of 2008!
WOW! I would have tossed both of them a long time ago....

I would say you should get a new FF800 and OctamicD (I noticed it has been discountinued BTW) from RME and a refund from the other guys you mentioned (Syntrhax or Anthrax or somebody like that) you paid $600 to!
Sorry I was of no help....but either you are trying to do something that the FF800 and OctamicD weren't designed to do or you've got multiple defective parts.
I've been doing avionics engineering and systems troubleshooting for many years and EE by profession so I know all too well how electronic troubleshooting can involve multiple failures and act in combination to thwart you...makes it extremely difficult to find sometimes....you may have such an issue....you should send the unit back to RME and let their technicians check both units on their test bench with proper equipment and specifically test for what your seeing in your videos.
If this has already been done by RME and you claim you still see a flaw in their design with your test procedure and believe this to be a flaw in all of RME's design, then I would probably have to first asked your qualifications and background in analog/digital systems design and knowledge of RME's equipment and having some dialog with the RME engineers who designed it....just saying....everything needs a baseline and needs to be qualified first....then it's a step by step process ruling out any variables or anomalies....
That being said....I'm kind of surprised RME hasn't stepped forward to make things right for you and explain what your seeing or not seeing...
Good luck
Old 23rd November 2009
  #90
Gear Nut
 

@djmukilteo

Thanks for trying. The ideas you brought forward as well as from others have given me new ideas to test out.

Quote:
you should send the unit back to RME and let their technicians check both units on their test bench with proper equipment and specifically test for what your seeing in your videos
That's exactly what I did this summer when I returned them to Synthax. They had BOTH my FF800 and my OctamicD to test and "make it right". They told me my FF800 needed a new mainboard, which they replaced along with the digital riser card. And yet now, with a totally "new" FF800, I am still seeing this issue. Did they even bother reproducing the issue?

I know it doesn't make any sense... and the fact that no one else has reported this suggests that my setup is to blame...
And yet I get totally different results depending on which FF800 I test...

I hoped someone else here might have a similar issue and that might shed some light on the problem. Anyway, we'll see... tomorrow's another day.

Cheers
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
4ccmusic / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
heksu / High end
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump