The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Route channel into itself (cubase)
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Route channel into itself (cubase)

I watched kenny's tips and tricks for PT. He mentions a cool way to use mono delays, where you place a delay on an AUX and after it an EQ then send it back into itself to create a feedback loop.

Most delay plugins have hi and lowpass filters. but with this method you can apply any EQ to the feedback you want. really cool.

Is there a way to do this in cubase? I.e. when I try to send a channel into itself, it will be grayed out.

Any ideas?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I assume you already know but the reason the channels are greyed out is to stop you creating a feedback loop. It maybe limits creative options but it's a precaution against possibly destroying your monitors/ears.

But to not answer your question I don't know if there is a way round it to route a channel back into itself.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I assume you already know but the reason the channels are greyed out is to stop you creating a feedback loop. It maybe limits creative options but it's a precaution against possibly destroying your monitors/ears.

But to not answer your question I don't know if there is a way round it to route a channel back into itself.
Yes I know it is to prevent you from doing damage, and that is of course nice. However, with a delay line it actually makes good sense.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

There is indeed a way to do this. Not at the studio now but I'll check back in. I do this to my hardware Harmonizer all the time. You have to use at least two channels.

I think what you need to do is set up a Group Channel with the desired Delay insert (its output should just go to the regular Stereo Out and its input can be disabled). Create a Audio Channel and select the Group Channel as its input and disable its output. Then activate one of the Audio Channel's sends back into the Group Channel. The Send Level will control the intensity of the feedback loop. If you want to record your "performance" then simply arm and record the Audio Channel.

Any other regular audio channel can be routed to this Group Channel to be included in the feedback mess.

I'm pretty sure this is how i've done it in the past, let me know if it works.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Great. That'll work I guess. You need to turn on direct monitoring for the audio channel however.

I'll try it and report back!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

dfegad don't work, grayed out send dfegad
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Works, but need to do it the hard way....

create new mono master bus, route it out of your interface on e.g. channel 4.

connect it to input e.g. 4 of your interface.

and so on....

roundtrip through convertors...but hey!!! it works.

timed delays are difficult this way, however. Latency must be considered.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

steinberg should include an option, where users can set this thing up easily.

Maybe in the preferences, and with a warning, that it's dangerous and you should know what you are doing!

Cheers!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear