The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tips on moving to Samplitude from Pro Tools
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Tips on moving to Samplitude from Pro Tools

I've dabbled with Samplitude SE in the past for small things and stuff that can't be done with other programs I use (.wav marker editing, batch processing, etc.). I decided to get the full demo version and play with it a bit.

I'm a big fan of the RTFM method of learning BUT I also like programs that are intuitive. Little things how many applications don't use basic OS command key functionality for track selection and handling, unintuitive linking of play cursor/edit cursor/region selection, and default weird mute linking (or not-linking!) throw me off a bit. Some of this little stuff about Samplitude doesn't seem very intuitive to me personally upon a first impression. For example, after playing around a bit I still can't seem to select multiple tracks in the main "VIP" window. I'm not bashing it at all; it's just a workflow issue I'll need to sort out.

So, my main question: Are there any good tutorials or tips on how to approach Samplitude coming from a Pro Tools LE workflow? I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who's made the switch.

Is there anything that bothers you about it after using it even after getting to know it?

Is there anyone who's tried it and switched back or to something else again?

Do most people stick with the stock keyboard shortcuts?

I've heard a lot of praise about the stock plugs also-do most people stick with these too? What are some of the main things that you've found the stock plug-ins most lack?

I love Pro Tools editing and general workflow but I care most about how things sound and Samplitude seems to have an edge in this regard.

Yes, I'll go through the manual and online resources but I'm specifically interested in hearing from others who have switched from Pro Tools.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Grayson
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there anything that bothers you about it after using it even after getting to know it?
Samplitude is not laid out a simply as PT. One example: Set up a tab to transient/tempo grid in each and pay attention to the extra amount of steps in Samplitude you have to do as opposed to PT. Every function in Samp is like that when comparing to PT. way too many moves and way too many options.

Quote:
I started w/ samp 5.1 moved to logic then to PT HD around V5 or so. I mostly only mix down to samp via HEDD right now.

Quote:
You can make your own shortcuts

Quote:
I've heard a lot of praise about the stock plugs also-do most people stick with these too? What are some of the main things that you've found the stock plug-ins most lack?
Try it for yourself. I use no stock plugs other than the ecox. variverb is ok and some folks love a few others. I'm sure they will chime in.

Quote:
I love Pro Tools editing and general workflow but I care most about how things sound and Samplitude seems to have an edge in this regard.
Object editing in Samp is the truth. Suprised every program hasnt jacked this yet. But other things like duplicate, repeat, etc. are not as simple as PT. Extra moves that slow you down in comparison.

download the demo first. It's not an easy program to get a grasp of, especially if you are used to the simplicity of PT. It does sound great though. No collapse of image and mixbuss is on point.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

A user on the Samplitude forum named Kraznet has tons of Video tutorials on youtube (YouTube - kraznet's Channel) that are great for picking up tid bits and just getting the essentials down. They were very helpful to me when i made the switch to samplitude. I suggest watching all of them as they will help you better understand the flow of the program.

Everything is samplitude is customizable. Down to the menus you see in the program. Its nice like that. It also, to my ears, sounds better then any other program ive worked with, And ive pretty much worked with all of them. As mentioned before, the object editing is crucial.

It can be tough to switch to a completely different program after your used to working in another, but Samplitude makes it easy to get back on track.

Check out the samplitude forums as well, Very nice people, mellow vibe, and helpful community. They will answer the most basic of questions without making you feel like an idiot for asking.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson;4802241
So, [B
my main question: Are there any good tutorials or tips on how to approach Samplitude coming from a Pro Tools LE workflow? I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who's made the switch. [/B]

Yes, I'll go through the manual and online resources but I'm specifically interested in hearing from others who have switched from Pro Tools.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Grayson
I've been using Samplitude for over ten years, and nothing really bothers me about it.
I can't recall hearing or reading of anyone switching over and then back - although some people use multiple DAWs and keep Samplitude (or Sequoia) around for mixdown and final mastering.
I use a mixture of default and custom hotkeys (mostly to be able to turn off toolbars to create even more screenspace.
The native plugs are very good. I use them most of the time now. Ammunition (compress/MS/limiter) in particular is awesome IMO.
Samplitude's known for it's fast editing - in particular due to it's object-oriented baseline feature that's been around almost forever. Objects add another dimension to track-based paradigms (including even 'clips'), since the objects are also self-contained.
Yes, I love Samplitude's 'sound' (or lack thereof).
Multi-TRACK selection came along in V11 (despite being able to grab objects across any part of a project, people still wanted to select tracks (hehe)) - so you won't find it in V9, SE, V10, etc.

All of Kraznet's videos are up on Samplitude.com - so you can dig in as deep as you want there.

I DO do projects in collaboration with PT guys up in LA, and it's easy to just export stems that drop right into PT. V11 also has OMF and EDL transfer features.

Have fun,

Greg
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusbliss View Post
Multi-TRACK selection came along in V11 (despite being able to grab objects across any part of a project, people still wanted to select tracks (hehe)) - so you won't find it in V9, SE, V10, etc.
Funny...was there no alternate way to move multiple tracks around at once in pre-11 versions?

It's good to know they've implemented it in 11.

It's even more odd to me that Logic didn't implement a lot of similar OS-style handling, since their parent company makes the OS it runs on.

Thanks for the responses...keep them coming!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrayson View Post
Funny...was there no alternate way to move multiple tracks around at once in pre-11 versions?

It's good to know they've implemented it in 11.

It's even more odd to me that Logic didn't implement a lot of similar OS-style handling, since their parent company makes the OS it runs on.

Thanks for the responses...keep them coming!
You could always move/rearrange tracks (or objects across tracks or whatever) in previous versions.
The difference was in multi-selecting tracks vs. multi-selecting objects.
Slight distinction...

Greg
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Help!

Thanks again for the input so far.

Quote:
You could always move/rearrange tracks...in previous versions.

Greg
Why be such a tease and not just tell me? It took a bit to figure that one out.

The object editing is brilliant and the audio editing is really nice as well.

After playing around a bit, I'm very intrigued but also a little annoyed. Some questions at this point:

• Why on earth is there always a vocoder on the master? Is there no way to get rid of that stuff?

• I can only have one 4-band EQ per channel and that's it? (Notwithstanding the FFT stuff.)

• So you can link the visual EQ knobs but not the full EQ plug-in between tracks? (I can get it to link the gain knobs but not the frequency or bandwidth selections between tracks.)

• No De-Esser?

• I can only use one instantiation of any given plug-in per track?

• No "playlist" functionality? I see there are punch-in and comping facilities BUT recording audio over other audio rather than in a separate space (a track-within-a-track; playlist, lane, whatever you want to call it) and then sorting it out later is just bad workflow. This was my big issue with Logic also. Perhaps new versions of both have improved on this? This would be a dealbreaker for me for tracking.

I realize many aspects of workflow are just a personal preference, so I won't blindly rant about that. I will say that browsing the Samplitude forums searching for ways to do relatively simple things and seeing other people asking similar questions and commenting on the lack of documentation does imply that many people seem to find Samplitude to be among the least intuitive. However, the fact that so many people use it and swear by it implies that it's worth dealing with and sticking with.

I have a couple more weeks left on the demo... Further input genuinely and immensely appreciated.

Regards,

Grayson
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Nut

"• Why on earth is there always a vocoder on the master? Is there no way to get rid of that stuff?"

Well the vocoder is not on so it does not do anything until you press it. The program is really amazing BUT like someone said before it's complex. One of the biggest problems is finding information/tutorials about it. I love it but its a pretty steep learning curve. It sounds amazing but I still hope they keep updating the audio engine.. (vst 3, 64 bit signal path, etc).
Old 29th November 2009
Quote:
The object editing is brilliant and the audio editing is really nice as well.
Yup, brilliant just about covers it. Once you've used object-based processing for mastering a CD, you're spoiled for anything else.

Quote:
• Why on earth is there always a vocoder on the master? Is there no way to get rid of that stuff?
Some third-party skins delete the vocoder, but most people just ignore it as a silly vestige of an earlier time.

Quote:
• I can only have one 4-band EQ per channel and that's it? (Notwithstanding the FFT stuff.)
That's just the "standard" EQ; you can insert various other EQ's as VST plugins (pre or post). The FFT EQ is one such, and a very useful tool for certain "surgical" operations that a conventional EQ can't touch. New in version 11 is the VST EQ116, a bit like the standard EQ on steroids: it adds two more bands, plus linear-phase and oversampling options.

Quote:
• So you can link the visual EQ knobs but not the full EQ plug-in between tracks? (I can get it to link the gain knobs but not the frequency or bandwidth selections between tracks.)
Not so. center frequency and Q are linked too, but sometimes the changes don't appear until you exit the dialog.

Quote:
• No De-Esser?
Nope, its there. It's pretty simple -- just a two knobs for frequency and reduction. You'll know right away whether it's going to work for you. If not, you have various options from inserting a third-party plug in, building something using a compressor and sidechain insert, on up to doing it "by hand" by slicing up the vocal track and processing the sibilence seperately. The latter is path is for obsessive-compulsive types, but object-based effects make it somewhat less painful.

Quote:
• I can only use one instantiation of any given plug-in per track?
You can use as many as you want. You're probably refering to a preferences switch that's there to prevent double loading due to adjacent objects with identical object-level plug ins.

Quote:
• No "playlist" functionality? I see there are punch-in and comping facilities BUT recording audio over other audio rather than in a separate space (a track-within-a-track; playlist, lane, whatever you want to call it) and then sorting it out later is just bad workflow. This was my big issue with Logic also. Perhaps new versions of both have improved on this? This would be a dealbreaker for me for tracking.
Look up "revolver tracks", new in version 11. There's a video by Kraznet on You Tube that demonstrates how it works. For straight-forward comp'ing, the Take Composer is probably all you need. Watch the video before trying it the first time.

Quote:
I realize many aspects of workflow are just a personal preference, so I won't blindly rant about that. I will say that browsing the Samplitude forums searching for ways to do relatively simple things and seeing other people asking similar questions and commenting on the lack of documentation does imply that many people seem to find Samplitude to be among the least intuitive. However, the fact that so many people use it and swear by it implies that it's worth dealing with and sticking with.
Samplitude (and in especially OE) allows workflows that most other DAW's can't match. Small wonder that some things seem unintuitive if you're coming from another platform. Of course you will still have criticisms (we all do), but you will also have many "aha" moments when you slap your forehead after someone explains how easy something actually is to accomplish.

Quote:
I have a couple more weeks left on the demo... Further input genuinely and immensely appreciated.
The thing that you may not appreciate until you've gone through a complete project is that at the end you'll have a CD in your hands and you'll have never left Samplitude.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording

David–Thank you very much for the very informative post! I've read other posts of yours that I've found very edifying, by the way.

Further thoughts of mine at this point:

• The demo version might not be working properly in some very minor cases.

• There are preferences I'm not aware of causing seemingly quirky behavior.

• Version 11 will have made improvements on some of the issues I've noted.

I don't have the budget for it right away but I think it's winning me over. I'll always use Pro Tools because of people and places I work with (and other programs for various things, all of which are quite good for what they do) but there have been many, many cases in which I've wanted object-oriented editing. It does seem to have a little edge in basic quality control, too. (Other than the vocoder on the master channel, that is; I think that would always drive me crazy.)

Thanks again, All!

Grayson
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Addict

I've been on Samp since V7. I switched from Nuendo. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't hate Nuendo. The day I swithced to Samplitude was such a huge relief and for me samp was so much easier. The first day. And the forum is such a nice place nothing like Steinberg people. I also use pro Tools 8 as i have to for bouncing tracks as every mix that comes in is on PT. I have had producers pressure me to go PT HD full time. I have tried to edit and mix on my LE set up and I found the moves to be very slow and the opposite of what one guy just posted here. There were 3 moves to one move in Samplitude for such simple little things. And I have a buddy who is on Cubase and he tried the same thing and said the same thing. How much PT blew and it was so slow to get around on. And he used to use it a lot a few years ago. I guess it's what you know as well but somehow I just took to Samplitude right off. Like it was written for the way I think. Good luck with it and welcome to the cluub its a small one. I'm the only guy I know in Nashville doing major label work on Samplitude. I wish there were more of us. It's a PT town.
Old 30th November 2009
The biggest mistake PT guys n gals make when switching to samplitude is attempting to replicate automation through automation curves and audio-suite style destructive effects rather than learning and utilizing an object-based approach. Once you figure out the power of objects and start using them for their myriad uses, things move much smoother.

The main missing default key-commands that I immediately make if I move to a new Samplitude system (I have them in my home system, but at other studios sometimes they haven't figured this out yet) are the object copy and paste functions. I also make key commands to move to the next region boundary - this assists with quickly navigating through sessions.
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I have been a Samplitude user for 3 1/2 years now. Once I started using Samplitude, a lot of other DAWs seem primitive. I have used many of the major players out there including Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Nuendo, Logic Pro. Yes there are certain aspects of Pro Tools that may be better than Samplitude, but the advancements over Pro Tools simply can't be compared. I'm not a regular Pro Tools user but here are a few basic points Samp have over Pro Tools:

- 32 Bit float file import/Export
- import WAV, AIFF, MP3 file etc. in place without conversion at any combination of Bit Rate, Sample Rate, File Type. (Pro Tools splits and converts all files on import)
- Object Editing: Simply no comparison. You will have to use it to know.
- CD Authoring Capabilities
- Fades Fades Fades: All fades are real-time. No fade files created.
- Non-Realtime Bounce. Seriously, waiting for Pro Tools to bounce a 1hr file compared to what takes Samplitude 4 mins to do is no fun.
- Fully customizable skins and layout
- Ability to have multiple VIPs (sessions) open at a time, and also ability to have multiple instances of Samplitude open at a time.

These are just some of the features I can think of off the bat.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianneve View Post
I have tried to edit and mix on my LE set up and I found the moves to be very slow...PT blew and it was so slow to get around on.
I definitely appreciate your input on Samplitude, but I fly on Pro Tools; that's not the question here. I like Pro Tools a lot and although I'm obviously looking for certain workflow improvements upon it, I'm getting into subtleties. I'm a freelance engineer now but I worked my way up running Pro Tools for older engineers, sometimes on very big sessions with ±30 Chicago Symphony Orchestra players. Pro Tools got used because it worked and I got used because I was fast at it. I got paid a tenth of what the musicians did, but it was so much fun it was worth it. I digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
The biggest mistake PT guys n gals make when switching to samplitude is attempting to replicate automation through automation curves and audio-suite style destructive effects rather than learning and utilizing an object-based approach. Once you figure out the power of objects and start using them for their myriad uses, things move much smoother.

The main missing default key-commands that I immediately make if I move to a new Samplitude system (I have them in my home system, but at other studios sometimes they haven't figured this out yet) are the object copy and paste functions. I also make key commands to move to the next region boundary - this assists with quickly navigating through sessions.
This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for–thanks. This further solidifies for me that object-based operations are what I want; sometimes I'll gain down small sections or insert a Sonalksis FreeG do do preliminary automation on individual drum hits or sibilants and I've thought that object editing would be a much faster way. Spit, drag down the gain handle, drag out the auto-created fade if need be, and then I'm done–non-destructively and with the ability to make subtle tweaks later without messing with automation or changing playlists.

I'm surprised there would be no default tab-to-region shortcut function, but that's still not anywhere near as weird as the hard-wired master buss vocoder.

It's definitely growing on me.

Thanks again, everyone–further input always appreciated.

Grayson
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm surprised there would be no default tab-to-region shortcut function
Grayson
I'm not in front of a PC with Samplitude right now but I believe Control-Q and Control-W does that. Now if you have Track ID's set up, F2 and F3 will jump between them.
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Groove View Post
I'm not in front of a PC with Samplitude right now but I believe Control-Q and Control-W does that. Now if you have Track ID's set up, F2 and F3 will jump between them.
Yes, F2 and F3 are the equivalent of tab-to-transient.

You can hotkey your way to ranges (regions), object edges, markers, etc. - and it's customizable.

I think I remember a long time ago someone setting up a bunch of the PT hotkeys in Samplitude, but I can never find it (or remember it since it was a long time ago).

The other feature I like, that works really well, is the freeze function. It's fast, and you can also freeze objects as well as otherwise vacant aux channels. So you can spit out an effect stem (or whatever).

Greg
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, F2 and F3 are the equivalent of tab-to-transient.

You can hotkey your way to ranges (regions), object edges, markers, etc. - and it's customizable.

I think I remember a long time ago someone setting up a bunch of the PT hotkeys in Samplitude, but I can never find it (or remember it since it was a long time ago).

The other feature I like, that works really well, is the freeze function. It's fast, and you can also freeze objects as well as otherwise vacant aux channels. So you can spit out an effect stem (or whatever).

Greg
Nope–F2 and F3 here I've known to only tab between .wav markers in SE which I've had for certain uses previously; in my version 10 demo multitrack VIP I made which has no markers F2 and F3 do nothing. Control+Q/W navigate to the start/end of the object. No tab-to-transient.

Perhaps this changed with version 11 and the demo version doesn't reflect that? I've looked in the Samplitude forums a bit and didn't find it.

As sophisticated as it seems, it takes a lot of work to figure out how to do very simple things:

• The solo system is still inscrutable–mutes don't work while soloing, x-or (unlatched, A/B, cancels-previous-solo) soloing isn't linked between tracks that are (or should be) linked via the "link" button.

• You can change tracks between stereo or mono with a simple click but to use two mono files on a stereo track you have to export and re-import them as an interleaved .wav file rather than just drag them onto a track.

• To move tracks around more than one at a time you have to use the Track Manager which can be confusing because it doesn't give you the name of the audio file on the track, which may not correspond with the name of the track. (I did find the "Name Tracks After File" selection, though, which was in an unintuitive spot.)

• I haven't found the preference that lets me put more than one instantiation of a plug-in on a track.

• There's no window focus.

• It seems to like to leave a loop "range" behind that it plays into but suddenly loops at when I move the play cursor after having made a selection at some point.

• There's no track grouping as I know it...I found in the manual where it says to use the "Group Selected Controls Button," but I can't find that actual button.

• I'm still not sure of the best uses for a vocoder on the master buss.

This is exhausting.

Mastering is one thing but to integrate object editing into multitrack recording and mixing workflow I need it to do everything else I would normally be doing there also–or rather, I need to figure how to do the usual things I would be doing. I don't ask it to be the same as any other application; I mostly just want to be able to do really basic stuff like solo normally and move tracks around. This is basic analog console functionality from 20 years ago. It hasn't turned me away but that learning curve does NOT look appealing right now. The help menu/manual isn't much help, either.

I can't take advantage of the sophisticated features without basic functionality.

I'll probably buy it when I can but I'd expect it to be a love/hate thing for a good while and I probably wouldn't do professional work on it for a good while either.

For what it's worth, I personally have Pro Tools LE, Logic 8, Reaper, Samplitude SE 9, and Izotope RX and I sometimes work at places with Pro Tools HD. I use different tools for different things and I'd like to think I'm not stuck in one way of working.

Thanks for sticking with me...and I apologize if my little rant was out of place!

Be well.

Grayson
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope–F2 and F3 here I've known to only tab between .wav markers in SE which I've had for certain uses previously; in my version 10 demo multitrack VIP I made which has no markers F2 and F3 do nothing. Control+Q/W navigate to the start/end of the object. No tab-to-transient.

Perhaps this changed with version 11 and the demo version doesn't reflect that? I've looked in the Samplitude forums a bit and didn't find it.

As sophisticated as it seems, it takes a lot of work to figure out how to do very simple things:

• The solo system is still inscrutable–mutes don't work while soloing, x-or (unlatched, A/B, cancels-previous-solo) soloing isn't linked between tracks that are (or should be) linked via the "link" button.

• You can change tracks between stereo or mono with a simple click but to use two mono files on a stereo track you have to export and re-import them as an interleaved .wav file rather than just drag them onto a track.

• To move tracks around more than one at a time you have to use the Track Manager which can be confusing because it doesn't give you the name of the audio file on the track, which may not correspond with the name of the track. (I did find the "Name Tracks After File" selection, though, which was in an unintuitive spot.)

• I haven't found the preference that lets me put more than one instantiation of a plug-in on a track.

• There's no window focus.

• It seems to like to leave a loop "range" behind that it plays into but suddenly loops at when I move the play cursor after having made a selection at some point.

• There's no track grouping as I know it...I found in the manual where it says to use the "Group Selected Controls Button," but I can't find that actual button.
  • V9SE is several years old, so... was already a scaled-down studio version....heh
  • F2/F3 does 'tab' forward/backward' to transient markers.
  • Track grouping is in V11. Otherwise grouping objects across tracks in V10 accomplish much of the same functionality (depending on how you have other things configured).
  • range loop is now defaulted to NOT loop at playback (I think there was an .ini setting somewhere, but can't recall). There are also hotkeys to get rid of range, move range, etc.
  • In V10, and now even more in V11 you can move tracks around in the VIP/project.
  • I am able to solo muted tracks here. Guess I'll have to confirm linked tracks (which do solo when linked here).

Greg
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you so much for the continued info and for putting up with my pathetic whining!

Quote:
  • V9SE is several years old, so... was already a scaled-down studio version....heh
I realize this fairly; this is part of the reason I tried the full demo.

Quote:
  • F2/F3 does 'tab' forward/backward' to transient markers.
Are you sure that F2/F3 is the same thing as "tab to transient" in Pro Tools in addition to tabbing between markers? Are you familiar with this function in Pro Tools? I'm not talking about tabbing between any sort of markers, but tabbing between actual transients in the waveform. It makes life much better. My searching in the forums has only so far revealed others lamenting such a lack, although the posts I found on this were a little older...

Examples of where I use this are to line up a kick drum note with a bass note or a copy of a track with the original. In my case I'm trying to do a mix of a song I mixed in Pro Tools to get a feel for the differences. The files came from someone else and a few of them are pieces of overdubs in the middle of a song that are not timestamped. It's really easy to copy a file beginning at an obvious transient that lines up with other instruments, tab the cursor to the transient of the same beat on another track, then place the cursor on the destination track of the copied file and paste. It's a really quick way to line things up.

If I haven't imposed too much already–How exactly would one do this in Samplitude? Can it be done similarly in 11 but not the version 10 demo? If it can only be done between generated transient markers but those markers can be generated very quickly, easily, and consistently between tracks that would be close. I know there's something similar to Beat Detective that looks very well-done and usable but I don't have it figured out enough yet to answer my own question here. I could be old-school and just do it visually, but that virtually always requires nudging and isn't as efficient or accurate to me.

Quote:

• Track grouping is in V11. Otherwise grouping objects across tracks in V10 accomplish much of the same functionality (depending on how you have other things configured).
  • range loop is now defaulted to NOT loop at playback (I think there was an .ini setting somewhere, but can't recall). There are also hotkeys to get rid of range, move range, etc.
  • In V10, and now even more in V11 you can move tracks around in the VIP/project.
  • I am able to solo muted tracks here. Guess I'll have to confirm linked tracks (which do solo when linked here).

Greg
Cool.

The gripe about moving around tracks in 10 was really a gripe about not being able to visually select multiple tracks in the VIP but that was implemented in 11 and is therefore not a problem.

About the solo vs. mute–I guess at some point I got used to soloing a group of tracks (e.g. drums) on an analog console and then quickly muting and unmuting individual tracks within all of those soloed to check phase and whatnot. I could just as easily hit solo again instead of mute to do the same thing. I want to not hear a track when I mute it. Most DAWS these days other than Pro Tools have (to me) really odd arbitrary default solo/mute behavior that I wish just acted logically like a console. C'est la vie. Life goes on and so do I™.

It looks like the real issue here is that the demo version, aside from not being the most recent full version, is simply buggy. This is refreshing to know...I'll just have to concede to the fact that the demo version is not an accurate reflection of the program.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Magix should give you kickbacks!

Regards,

Grayson

P.S. Still no tips for vocoding the master buss, I see.
Old 2nd December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

P.S. Still no tips for vocoding the master buss, I see.
I have never noticed the Vocoder on the Master until now. In fact I never use anything on the Master FX section anyway. I don't see why it is an issue. It is not activated by default. It is just there.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you sure that F2/F3 is the same thing as "tab to transient" in Pro Tools in addition to tabbing between markers? Are you familiar with this function in Pro Tools? I'm not talking about tabbing between any sort of markers, but tabbing between actual transients in the waveform. It makes life much better. My searching in the forums has only so far revealed others lamenting such a lack, although the posts I found on this were a little older...

Examples of where I use this are to line up a kick drum note with a bass note or a copy of a track with the original. In my case I'm trying to do a mix of a song I mixed in Pro Tools to get a feel for the differences. The files came from someone else and a few of them are pieces of overdubs in the middle of a song that are not timestamped. It's really easy to copy a file beginning at an obvious transient that lines up with other instruments, tab the cursor to the transient of the same beat on another track, then place the cursor on the destination track of the copied file and paste. It's a really quick way to line things up.
Exactly. Samp's tab to transient and grid setup is too darn complicated and I wind up having to zoom in & do it by hand at some point to get it right. It's there though. This and lack of VCA groups keeps me in the HD world. I could care less about all the bells and whistles they are adding that not many use- simplify. Logic simplified w/ 8, jacked a few pro tools standards and if they could ever work out the bugs...
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear
before you get too sold on samplitude...
have you tried adobe audition? (formerly cool edit pro)

it has much the same features as samplitude and is much simpler to use. it's only real drawback is a lack of sidechaining ability. you can set up busses and aux sends to handle some of the tasks you'd use sidechaining for but no actual driving of one track's fx input with another's output is possible without also having the audio in the fx as well.

so all you sidechain compression guys need not apply. however as a mastering tool it is amazing. also as an editor of your wave files it is also athe best there is. combine it with pro-tools as your main daw and you'll be set.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Stems???

I have Samp 10, what's the best way to export stems?? Right now I solo each track and then export but I figure there has to be a better/easier/more global way.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
I have Samp 10, what's the best way to export stems?? Right now I solo each track and then export but I figure there has to be a better/easier/more global way.
Stems with fx, such as aux send reverbs, delays, and busses? thats the only way I ever done it on any DAW.

Stems, just tracks, no fx? use batch export functions in bounce menu.

Samp will not name the audio either. If ur track is named piano, ur recorded objects on that track will not be called piano- they will be called "take #"

Another shortcoming in leaving Pro Tools u will have to deal with in Samp.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

yeah the tracks with no fx. will try the bounce function. thanks for the info.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

bounce works.
Also, selective freezing of objects and tracks will render a quick stem.

Just name the objects, and your wav will carry the name over to the file.

Greg
Old 19th April 2010
Plug-in for importing ProTools projects in Samplitude?

I've been using Samplitude Pro since version 7 and it's still my favorite in sound quality and features, but I still have ProTools for those times I need to import ProTools projects from other studios. I've heard rumor of a plugin that can convert ProTools projects into a Samplitude VIP. Can anyone point me to it?
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I've been using Samplitude Pro since version 7 and it's still my favorite in sound quality and features, but I still have ProTools for those times I need to import ProTools projects from other studios. I've heard rumor of a plugin that can convert ProTools projects into a Samplitude VIP. Can anyone point me to it?
There's AAtranslator. No idea how well it works.
Also, Samplitude does EDL export, so the old EDL Convert program may work.
I usually just export full wav files rather than worry about setting up PT sessions, since the PT guys usually have different plugins and configurations than I do anyways.

Greg
Old 20th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
There's AAtranslator. No idea how well it works.
Also, Samplitude does EDL export, so the old EDL Convert program may work.
I usually just export full wav files rather than worry about setting up PT sessions, since the PT guys usually have different plugins and configurations than I do anyways.

Greg
AA traslator is superb. At least for my needs.Im on Nuendo. I reads and translates between the major DAW. Ver 3 is up now, support is fantastic.
As a bonus, when you export from Premiere with nested seq you have to OMF each seq separate (no TC info in the OMF).
AAtranslator can read all the separate OMF and then join the translated project files toghether. Excellent.
regards
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

just for some clarity samp does not have a tab to transient feature like protools. that's one thing i know about. i switched about 4 years ago and looked like crazy for it. one of the few things i miss about PT. people that haven't used it have no idea how cool it is.

as far as tips for moving from PT to samp. you are making a big change. as mentioned check out kraznets videos. check out the samp forum. one bad thing about samp is the documentation is sub par imo. too bad because people trying to pick it up need extra help in the transition.

imo samp makes sense for a few reasons. object oriented audio is awesome for certain things. samp is committed to high quality audio and plugins. sheer value...samp comes with some pretty awesome plugins and other features. hard to top for the price.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear