The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tips on moving to Samplitude from Pro Tools
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Tab to transient:

Detect the track or object with Audio quantize so all the audio markers at placed. Then use hot keys to jump to and from the next AQ marker. Works great for most material.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cporro View Post
just for some clarity samp does not have a tab to transient feature like protools. that's one thing i know about.
you are wrong. it does. F2 & F3 keys will tab to transient of selected track after you detect transients in tempo menu.

i know it's a longer, more convoluted way than in PT but it is there. In PT you just hit Tab key. no need to detect transients and all that.

Recorded wavs still do not take name of track. It's still "take 1", "take 2", instead of "strings 1" or "piano 1". This bugs the hell out of me with Samp. That and finding the tempo of a project/grid setup is still a convoluted process as well compared to PT.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Recorded wavs still do not take name of track. It's still "take 1", "take 2", instead of "strings 1" or "piano 1". This bugs the hell out of me with Samp. That and finding the tempo of a project/grid setup is still a convoluted process as well compared to PT.
this can be setup as well. which version are you using?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
this can be setup as well. which version are you using?
Version 11. In PT you name the mixer track (ie: Lead Vox) and every take recorded to that track will be named Lead Vox 1, Lead Vox 2, etc.

On Samp I know you can name takes after the fact. And you have to set it up per project. It isn't a global default action.

If you have a way to do it like PT please share. A global default that's always on would be great.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

you guys i know what you are talking about in samp. i use it. this is not nearly as fast as tab to transient in PT. to appreciate the PT feature you need to use it for a few months. after that you realize how useful it is.

want to select a prefect drum loop? 2 sec in PT. want to select a drum sample? 1 sec. want to make a perfect cut for a measure? super quick.

going to a menu, selecting a threshold, creating lots of transients you don't need, then going back to timeline and finding the segment of audio you want.

look, i like samp, but it does not have this feature.

i remember years ago when some guy at a party said you could do anything in photoshop 2 that you could in photoshop 6. maybe true, but it would take a lot longer.

i'm not saying you can't do it in samp. i'm saying PT does it way faster and i miss that.

anyone want to challenge a PT user in a race to prefectly select specific transients step up. PT is very fast at certain things but i'm still not going back.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Version 11. In PT you name the mixer track (ie: Lead Vox) and every take recorded to that track will be named Lead Vox 1, Lead Vox 2, etc.

On Samp I know you can name takes after the fact. And you have to set it up per project. It isn't a global default action.

If you have a way to do it like PT please share. A global default that's always on would be great.
if you go to the track info dialog box there is a tab called "All Tracks..." from there you can select how the tracks will be named, i usually use (Project Name)_(Track Name). i don't remember if this is a global function, i have it setup in a template so when i start a new session i load the template and name it and end up with files like something like projectxyz_snare1. does that help?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
if you go to the track info dialog box there is a tab called "All Tracks..." from there you can select how the tracks will be named, i usually use (Project Name)_(Track Name). i don't remember if this is a global function, i have it setup in a template so when i start a new session i load the template and name it and end up with files like something like projectxyz_snare1. does that help?
Thanks. But the actual wav file in the session folder will have the name of the track but on screen in the edit window of the VIP it is still Take 1, Take 2, etc. on that track.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. But the actual wav file in the session folder will have the name of the track but on screen in the edit window of the VIP it is still Take 1, Take 2, etc. on that track.
sorry misunderstood what you were asking, not sure if there is a convenient way to do what you want
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

If I remember correctly, there is a Tab to trans feature slated for v12. I'll have to confirm that next week. For now the way I described works well, but a new way will be faster and cleaner.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post
If I remember correctly, there is a Tab to trans feature slated for v12. I'll have to confirm that next week. For now the way I described works well, but a new way will be faster and cleaner.
that would be nice. i wondered why such a useful feature was missing from such an evolved daw. i went on about it for a while on the boards when i switched to samp (v9 i think) but then gave up.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Addict

Whats super useful for 1 user may not be a big deal at all for others, so there is a balancing act.
Old 20th January 2011
Quote:

I would not generally want Samplitude to name my objects automatically by using the name of the track. For example, when mastering in Samplitude/Sequoia I line up songs one after another on the same track, and each has a different name. Also, I move objects from one track to another so often that it would get confusing if all objects were named after the track they originated from. I prefer "Take1, Take2, etc." so I can simply remember what order the tracks were created, and then name the objects myself as needed. Seems the whole point of Samplitude's object editing is to think of each object as it's own separate entity, and not just as a part of a track. I think it's just difficult for long-time ProTools users to change their mind to the Samplitude way of thinking (and same goes the other way around). Whatever you are accustomed to feels like the "right" way.
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I would not generally want Samplitude to name my objects automatically by using the name of the track. For example, when mastering in Samplitude/Sequoia I line up songs one after another on the same track, and each has a different name. Also, I ...
Greg,

I put each song on it's own track. No particular reason, just the way that I have always done it, that traveled with me from past DAW programs that I have used.

Remembering what order things were created is fine for 'you're in, you're out' projects. But I recently finished a remix retrospective of an artists work from 1987 to the present. Stuff on tape and digital tape was easy... track sheets. The EDLs? Not so much.
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I would not generally want Samplitude to name my objects automatically by using the name of the track. For example, when mastering in Samplitude/Sequoia I line up songs one after another on the same track, and each has a different name. Also, I move objects from one track to another so often that it would get confusing if all objects were named after the track they originated from. I prefer "Take1, Take2, etc." so I can simply remember what order the tracks were created, and then name the objects myself as needed. Seems the whole point of Samplitude's object editing is to think of each object as it's own separate entity, and not just as a part of a track. I think it's just difficult for long-time ProTools users to change their mind to the Samplitude way of thinking (and same goes the other way around). Whatever you are accustomed to feels like the "right" way.
Objects can be their own entity but it should say kik1, kik2, kik3 if it's all on the kik trk until you glue/consolidate. When you are doing comps or exports to mix in PT it's amateur hour.
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
Objects can be their own entity but it should say kik1, kik2, kik3 if it's all on the kik trk until you glue/consolidate. When you are doing comps or exports to mix in PT it's amateur hour.
Old 20th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
Objects can be their own entity but it should say kik1, kik2, kik3 if it's all on the kik trk until you glue/consolidate.
To me if an object is on the "Kick" track, then I associate it with the kick anyway, unless I name it something else, so it just doesn't help me mentally to have each object named after the track it was created on, especially when I move objects to different tracks so often. Of course no one is wrong or right here, I guess I'm just re-stating what Tim Dolbear said earlier (what might be an important feature to one person is not necessarily desired by others). But if a lot of people want that feature, then of course it would be nice to add the option to change the default naming method, as long as I can still keep it the way it is now.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear