The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves plugis on a Mac pro or iMac - Firewire question as well
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Waves plugis on a Mac pro or iMac - Firewire question as well

Hi everybody.

I'm confused about witch mac will suit my needs best on my home studio with Logic Pro 9.
I'm going to buy waves CLA and SSL and upgrade my Macbook pro 2.4 with a stationary mac.
I've got a okay deal on a used Mac Pro 2Ghz , and at the same time looking at the new 27" iMac 3GHz

Will the Mac pro 2ghz be slower than the new iMac regarding number of instances of Waves plugins? (is there a chart showing this somewhere on the web?)

Firewire question -
If I buy the iMac I'd have to daisychain my Konnekt and my external harddrive - is this the right order?
iMac - > Konnekt -> Harddrive

And by the way -
When installing the new system - I know the best thing is to have my audio projects on another drive than my OSX.
Where do I install my Au instrument library? Like Kontakt, samples and so on?
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_lar View Post
Firewire question -
If I buy the iMac I'd have to daisychain my Konnekt and my external harddrive - is this the right order?
iMac - > Konnekt -> Harddrive

And by the way -
When installing the new system - I know the best thing is to have my audio projects on another drive than my OSX.
Where do I install my Au instrument library? Like Kontakt, samples and so on?
no - imac -> drive -> interface. that way if your interface loses power or connection, it doesn't rip the drive off the desktop and risk damaging it.

ideally you'd have the samples on a 3rd drive. but on an imac I wouldn't run 2 FW drives, so probably the internal drive is your best bet.
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

I've run 80+ waves plugins comfortably on my 2.4 Macbook pro, you won't have to worry about plugins at all on a Mac Pro or the New iMac.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks - both of you. I'd guess I'd like some more info on which kind of plugins you are runing.
Isn't ther any chart with info on the SSL and CLA bundle from Waves? I'd like to know how many instances of eg. the SSL channelstrip, it's possible to run on a 3ghz intel core 2 duo.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear