The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 4 vs. Cubase 5
Old 19th November 2009
Cubase 4 vs. Cubase 5

I'm thinking about upgrading from cubase 4 to 5. What does 5 bring to the table except for fancy new plugs and VSTi's that I'm probably never gonna use?

I know about stem export, but what else?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wait for 6 to come out.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Pitch correction is really useful
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
Wait for 6 to come out.
Why 6 as opposed to 7,8 or 9 for that matter?

tmy
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

CS 5 is much more stable (1 crash in 10 months an this was a dodgy plugin)

For those that work a lot with Switching signatures, and tempi it is really handy to have the tempotrack/signature track in the project window.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Don't know about the difference from Cubase 4 to 5. I roll my beats in Logic. But I am interested in Cubase 5's pitch features. There's a free overview tutorial for Cubase 5:
macProVideo.com - Tutorial-Video Library
maybe this shows the new features mainly? But I began watching the Cubase 5 101 and I'm seriously considering using it as well Logic now!

O-D
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Why 6 as opposed to 7,8 or 9 for that matter?

tmy
Because the upgrade scheme says: upgrade cost from 4 to 5 is the same as 3 to 5... or 4 to 6 (when it comes out). Upgrading from 3 to 6 cost almost the same as the non-upgrade price for cubase. It is purely the $$$ speaking.

The pitch correction is nice, though the interface is sluggish and it is hard to point at the right part of the "note", there are too many functions built in a small space and are strangely displayed. Feels like a testing version with programmers own interface instead of finished product. Though it works and saves a lot of time, when you need/like to use it.
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
Wait for 6 to come out.
And enjoy a new round of bugs for another year and a half. No thanks

Now would be a good time to upgrade to C5 as its probably seen its last update or maybe one more. Pretty stable now

Stay a version behind as long as you can and youll be fine

Im on 4.5.2 BTW and am looking at C5 now
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
And enjoy a new round of bugs for another year and a half. No thanks

Now would be a good time to upgrade to C5 as its probably seen its last update or maybe one more. Pretty stable now

Stay a version behind as long as you can and youll be fine

Im on 4.5.2 BTW and am looking at C5 now

thats what i thought. i heard it was really stable now. i'd rather spend my money on a working 5 than a buggy 6.

however, is timestreching better than in version 4?
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunale View Post

however, is timestreching better than in version 4?
nope, they're the same.

strangely, i upgraded to 5 but 4.5.2 is way more stable here....waiting for another update on 5 to make the full switch. until that, i just use 5 when i need the variaudio.

EDIT: i'm on win xp 32bit.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunale View Post
I'm thinking about upgrading from cubase 4 to 5. What does 5 bring to the table except for fancy new plugs and VSTi's that I'm probably never gonna use?

I know about stem export, but what else?
I got C5 early this year and went from 4.5.2. Thoroughly recommend it. One thing is I think it's still not optimized for Leopard OSx. or it feels that way. If you have PC, I think you are good to go. It has VariAudio, LoopMash to name a few. The layout is similar but the extras defiintely come in handy, especially VariAudio. THat alone is a saving of a few hundred dollars..
Old 19th November 2009
Talking

1. Having a good convolution reverb (Reverence) in Cubase is a breath of fresh air as well and way over do.
2. Tempo and Time Signature tracks in the Track List of the Project window.
3. There is also a pitch control automated plug in as well that is helpful.
4. Articulation control on midi tracks is a big plus for midi guys.
5. Batch export feature in the Export Audio window.

I moved from SX3 to 5, but I have found the latest version of 5 to be pretty stable.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

In my view, VariAudio is reason enough to upgrade. REVerence is the icing on the cake.
Old 20th November 2009
I read on their website they have new approach on automation too, do you guys use that feature a lot?

Can reverence work with the bricasti impulses from acousticas?
Old 20th November 2009
LQM
Lives for gear

I upgraded from SX3 to C5 and it worked like a charm.

So many cool features. Variaudio just rocks - I find it very simple to use, and given that I don't have Melodyne it's really useful.

VST Expression - really useful for helping things such as orchestral strings sound more authentic from sample libraries etc.

Tempo and Time Signature tracks in the arrangement view option is very cool, much better than fiddling around with ctrl+t and the tempo track window.

New automation panel as in Nuendo 4, which makes it easy to pick out and edit most automation tasks.

Reverence - You might not trade it in for Altiverb, and it still needs a little more resource optimization (which SB says will come in future updates) but it sounds really good - a reverb in Cubase sounding really good is almost an alien thing (OK, roomworks has it's moments but overall is not a flexible enough sound).

Groove Agent One and Beat Designer - for knocking out some down and dirty beats, it's really easy and fast.

Pitch Correct is also a useful tool and can be abused to get that done to death T-Pain / Kanye autotune sound quite easily, but used subtly it's a decent quick way of correcting a track with just occasional errors automatically, rather than the intense manual scrutiny you can achieve with Variaudio.

It works really well even on my Vista 32 laptop. A few minor GUI issues but nothing major to be worked on - although some would say that the Steinberg bitbridge for the 64 bit version could use some improvement, many have shelled out for J-Bridge (but as I'm running the 32 bit version I couldn't comment) which is universally regarded as much more compatible with 32 bit plugins.

It's a great update and it's only a year since it came out - Steinberg are not typically a company who release product upgrades on an annual cycle like Cakewalk and Ableton, in fact it was 2 and a half years between SX3 and C4. I think they'll be at least 2 more updates and probably at least 6 months to a year before they bring out the next version.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Can't believe they let the cubase guys upgrade from any version for the same price, that's fantastic. I went with Nuendo due to the control room mixer and a few other features which are now available in cubase. The older the version the more costly the upgrade, by alot.

I would love to have the drag an drop plugins. From my understanding the routing is much more flexible than during previous versions. Any merit to this? Work arounds aren't difficult but routing is my least favorite aspect in nuendo compared to pt.

mike
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

You have drag and drop plugins with Nuendo and sidechain with suporting plugins

Matti
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
You have drag and drop plugins with Nuendo and sidechain with suporting plugins

Matti
Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm still in N3. Yes the sidechain and drag and drop is why I was considering upgrading to 4. Hows the N4 and C5 routing compared to previous versions?

mike
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

New Features :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

I upgraded quite recently so most of my projects are Nuendo 3 and still to discover the new possibilities but side chaining without the surround channel trick is so good to have

Matti
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear