The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stock Fan i7 920
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Stock Fan i7 920

Can I use the stock fan with the 920 or is it recommended to get another? I would get a Cogage CPU cooler, but use the regular Thermalright mounting kit. Board is a gigabyte ex58-ud5
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

the stock cooler is cool if not overclocking but if you are going to overclock i would recommend a noctua NH-U12P
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

stock is fine for normal use. Why would they package a cooler if it was not sufficient for the job?
Lives for gear
What's the noise like? I know the AMD stock fans are pretty quiet but am not sure about the current Intel i Series CPU stock fans.
RiF
Lives for gear

The stock fan is OK but pretty loud for a DAW machine. I went for a $20 replacement cooler (Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 or how it's called) and this one makes NO NOISE when controlled by the board (ASUS P7P55D).
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'm running an i7 920 on a Gigabyte EX58-Extreme mobo and I have to say that the stock fan is very noisy compared to most others (Not i7). I plan on replacing mine with a thermalright ultra120 extreme 1366. Not cheap but I use my PC for playing games as well as a DAW. Great for overclocking too.. ..if thats your thing. Good Luck.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_B View Post
I'm running an i7 920 on a Gigabyte EX58-Extreme mobo and I have to say that the stock fan is very noisy compared to most others (Not i7). I plan on replacing mine with a thermalright ultra120 extreme 1366. Not cheap but I use my PC for playing games as well as a DAW. Great for overclocking too.. ..if thats your thing. Good Luck.
Nice. TRUE's are really sweet. I personally use a Scythe Mugen II; large and quiet is awesome (if hard to install).

To the OP, since it's very easy to install, go for it. If it's too noisy, come back and look at coolers with 120mm fans or bigger. In my experience, case fans and the power supply especially contribute the most to noise.
Or get one of those noiseless fans. I use them for the whole PC.
Gear Nut

Got a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (with the Xigmatek Crossbow KIT) working here nice and smooth... on a CoolerMaster Sileo 500! i7920 right here...
Gear Nut

I recommend the mugen 2 also. I installed by myself, with a little ingenuity. My case has access through the back. Used a towel/2x4/cinder block, to weight it down with it hanging over the edge of table. Use tape to hold backing plate on underside. Put on a little OCZ freeze and install. Not THAT hard. Cheap, efficient, quiet.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear