The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What has happened to Digidesign?
Old 19th November 2009
What has happened to Digidesign?

My god they've become arrogant. Logic is doing all the right things and gaining big ground, and earning it, and meanwhile Digi is becoming too big to maintain solid quality control and customer service. The Digidesign I knew 5 years ago isn't there now. I've done a sh!tload of public promotion for Digi on the forums and was always happy to spread the good word, but I've been forced into the camp of highly unsatisfied customers.

What's going on over there? And how long before the bulk of us moves over to Logic, or something else?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I hear ya. It's a different time, that's for sure.

Everything is in flux.

I use every DAW under the planet in my work, but Pro Tools 8 is the most lovely visually and that counts a lot for me. I really like working with that program, it's easy on the eyes.

For many years, Pro Tools benefitted from the perception that it was "the only serious recording tool," etc. and I think there aren't many consumers who buy that line of thinking anymore. And the rush of revenue from HD/TDM has to have waned by now.

Perhaps they're just feeling the strain? I dunno.

Can you clarify what you mean about arrogance? Not arguing, just curious what elicited that characterization.

- c
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
My god they've become arrogant.
I thought you were talking about the Pro HD users Not DIGI
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Why do you think they are where they are today? Is it sales are down?
GT.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
My god they've become arrogant. Logic is doing all the right things and gaining big ground, and earning it, and meanwhile Digi is becoming too big to maintain solid quality control and customer service. The Digidesign I knew 5 years ago isn't there now. I've done a sh!tload of public promotion for Digi on the forums and was always happy to spread the good word, but I've been forced into the camp of highly unsatisfied customers.

What's going on over there? And how long before the bulk of us moves over to Logic, or something else?
What is Logic doing?

They added PT's Elastic Audio, basically. They still haven't fixed bugs that have been there for ages, and have introduced a few new ones. You still can't even move channels around in the mixer, for heaven's sake.

I haven't noticed any lack of customer service from Digi or any loss of QC. They still update their program with CS releases asap, which is more than anyone else does.

TH
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
What is Logic doing?

They added PT's Elastic Audio, basically.
I'm a PT user but comments like this never make much sense to me.

So did Digi not just add Logic's MIDI?

Acid, Live etc. have had 'EA' for a long time now.

Everyone 'steals' functions from each other. I see this as a good thing as long as they implement them in a stable fashion.

Now why can't someone just clone PT's audio editing?
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

what's going on with digidesign? i'm a happy customer so i guess i can't relate to all the nay-saying that's been going on recently.

i started with a digi001 and PTLE v5. i've been, for the most part, happy with the products that i've purchased...and i love PT 8.

i've tried every other DAW there is and i've always gone back to protools.
that's just my personal preference.

the way people talk these days you'd think avid is about to go under or something. i'm a happy user.

marco
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post

If I were Steiny, thats EXACTLY what I would do
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
'cause they think they can do it better still waitin' tho...

tho S1 did add the non-contiguous editin' feature...very cool
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

With Digidesign, M-audio, Pinnacle and Sibelius... Avid is doing great

As far as Pro Tools.... Sonar, DP and Logic are all limited to one platform....
Pro Tools and Cubase are the 2 major cross platform DAWs.....
People diss Pro tools... but being cross platform means the have essentially 2 major DAWs.... thats a lot of work making sure you're program works with ASIO, WDM, Core Audio.... It's a huge undertaking... cut them a break
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Honestly I think it depends on where you fall in their price:performance curve. But this isn't really that different from other companies that occupy similar positions in the market.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Blah blah blah! Same sour grapes thread we see here every 2 or 3 days now...

Funny how no one ever brings anything new to the discussion.

Talk is cheap. fuuck
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I do think it's cool though that you have people like Max Gutnik reading these threads/posts.

Hopefully they are taking on board the things that have been said not just here but in other threads.

It's obvious times have changed and companies like Digi (and others) need to re-assess how they go about their business.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do think it's cool though that you have people like Max Gutnik reading these threads/posts.

Hopefully they are taking on board the things that have been said not just here but in other threads.

It's obvious times have changed and companies like Digi (and others) need to re-assess how they go about their business.
....Dont fear the Reaper!
Old 19th November 2009

I can call and someone will answer the phone.
If I have any hardware trouble I get get parts or service fast 24 hours or less.
I get regular software updates (for almost nothing)
I can trade in 15 year old hardware.
List every other company that does all that?
How is that arrogant?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I normally set my clock by the routine digi bashing threads. But now that they come up 2 threads at a time, it's getting confusing tring to set my clock.

If Nuendo was the industry standard, then I'd be setting my watch to Nuendo bashing threads.
Old 19th November 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

Digi fixed a lot of bugs in their post 8.0 releases already. If they would add ADC in the near future, PT will rule the market. If they would "upgrade" the LE platform to 96k and 16+ inputs, even more.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
If Nuendo was the industry standard, then I'd be setting my watch to Nuendo bashing threads.

Slowest. Clock. Ever.

- c
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Digi fixed a lot of bugs in their post 8.0 releases already. If they would add ADC in the near future, PT will rule the market. If they would "upgrade" the LE platform to 96k and 16+ inputs, even more.
Pro Tools easily rules the market, regardless of ADC or "hardware dongles" etc. I think more Slutz would realize this if they actually spent some time in real studios instead of hassling the poor kids at Guitar Center. And guess what...THAT'S NOT GOING TO CHANGE ANY TIME SOON! I've been hearing for years that the fall of Pro Tools is just around the corner. "Any day now all those studio owners are going to wake up and realize how wrong they were." The fact is, they aren't! No studio owner I know would even consider junking their PT rig for anything else. Are they wrong? Does it matter? Pro Tools keeps the clients coming back and MONEY TALKS!

Not sure what you've got, but I run 96k (rarely) and 18 inputs (often) on my LE system.

Here's the way I look at it: You can complain that the low-end Land Rover doesn't have heated seats. But you could buy the Range Rover, which is much more expensive and does have heated seats. Can't afford the Range Rover? If heated seats are that important to you, but the Subaru which is comparable in price to the former, but has the heated seats of the latter. Either way, why would you gripe and moan endlessly about Land Rover as a company? Or the people who drive Land Rovers? The ONLY conclusion I can come up with is jealousy.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I have delay compensation in 7.3.1(HD) ???

Did digi remove it in 8? Are you talking about LE?

I'm confused ...
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
I dont think DIGI is going anyplace and I HOPE they dont. We have to have SOME KINDA STANDARD for something. I just wish they would change the name already to AVID and get it over with. AVID is just re-structuring, another name for massive layoffs.

Just look at all the DIGITAL protocols we have today to give you a headache.
I dont think we need to have 8 diff DAW protocols if you will in the PRO STUDIOS

I dont mind that the STUDIOS are using Protools as the 2" replacement. I dont see why people care ESPECIALLY when they NEVER frequent them. Get what works for you and move on.

No jealousy here as some would have you think, just diff needs. Besides, everyone can afford an LE system these days so the cost of LE is NOT an issue, HD is cost prohibited here so its NOT a choice
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
I dont think DIGI is going anyplace and I HOPE they dont. We have to have SOME KINDA STANDARD for something. I just wish they would change the name already to AVID and get it over with. AVID is just re-structuring, another name for massive layoffs.

Just look at all the DIGITAL protocols we have today to give you a headache.
I dont think we need to have 8 diff DAW protocols if you will in the PRO STUDIOS

I dont mind that the STUDIOS are using Protools as the 2" replacement. I dont see why people care ESPECIALLY when they NEVER frequent them. Get what works for you and move on.
+1! Finally something that the two of us can agree upon
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati_Dred View Post
+1! Finally something that the two of us can agree upon
We are not as far apart as YOU would suppose we are homey

Im secretly awaiting the NEW stuff!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati_Dred View Post
I've been hearing for years that the fall of Pro Tools is just around the corner. "Any day now all those studio owners are going to wake up and realize how wrong they were." The fact is, they aren't! No studio owner I know would even consider junking their PT rig for anything else. Are they wrong? Does it matter? Pro Tools keeps the clients coming back and MONEY TALKS!
If you're a studio that runs each track out to a console, Pro Tools HD is probably the only DAW solution for you.
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrstudio View Post
If you're a studio that runs each track out to a console, Pro Tools HD is probably the only DAW solution for you.
??????????????????
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Gee, Sonar works great for me and my console, and my clients. Actually, 16 outs from PTLE has worked well in that regard, too.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
HD can only do 160i/o. You only need two SSL MADI XTreme 128's to do 256i/o, and you can have six of them if you need them.

Oh and they + converters are well under half price of HD accel's and 192's.
Old 19th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Besides, everyone can afford an LE system these days so the cost of LE is NOT an issue, HD is cost prohibited here so its NOT a choice
How much do you think HD costs?
How many channels I/O do you use/need?
Old 19th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
How much do you think HD costs?
How many channels I/O do you use/need?

Uhhh it costs more than I can afford.

I need 22 or 24 inputs depending so no it doesnt work for me
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
HD can only do 160i/o. You only need two SSL MADI XTreme 128's to do 256i/o, and you can have six of them if you need them.

Oh and they + converters are well under half price of HD accel's and 192's.
I wouldn't want to run a native system with that many IOs, regardless of what it should be able to do. The only people who run that many io are film dubbing stages...and they mainly use protools!

Although the statement you were replying to was fairly silly - of course that's not the case.
Closed
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear