The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What software can do quick mixer setting comparisons?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Nut

What software can do quick mixer setting comparisons?

I'm looking purchasing some DAW software and there is one feature I'm looking for in particular.

I was at a professional studio and the engineer who was using a Protools rig appeared to be able to setup various different mixes (with associated plugin effects etc) and save them to (what I think he called) "AUDIO SCENES". He could then recall each audio scene with the push of a button and quickly flip through them for convenient comparison.

I think it would be incredibly handy to be able to compare a series of small adjustments that you've made to what you started with in order to hear if you've really improved things at all in the big picture.

Is there any DAW software other than PT that does this and does it well?

I don't really want to buy ProTools because of the hardware lock-in. I played around with Cubase 5 for a bit, but it doesn't seem to have such an option (you can sort of load and save mixer settings to a file, but it's buggy and too time consuming)
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbaz View Post
Is there any DAW software other than PT that does this ...
Yes. See below...

Quote:
Digital Performer’s Mix Mode menu in the Mixing Board lets you create, save, edit and switch between multiple mixdowns of your project. For example, you could create several completely different mixes of the same sequence. A mix consists of all the volume, pan, plug-in and other mix automation data in all the tracks of the sequence, as well as all of the current plug-ins inserted on tracks. This feature has been enhanced to include the following initial track settings (regardless of whether there is currently any automation data in the track):

* Track volume
* Pan
* Send levels
* Send mute states
* Track automation mode
* Track play-enable/disable state

By adding these track attributes to each saved mixdown, the Mix Mode menu provides complete independence among separate mixes, even if they don’t have any automation data in them. For example, you could simply set initial volume and pan settings for each track, create a mix, duplicate it, adjust the faders and then switch back and forth between the two mixes. You can then freely switch between them, comparing the fader settings, without the need to insert or print any automation data. In general, you will find it effortless to create and use multiple mixdowns with this feature.
MOTU.com - Mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbaz View Post
I played around with Cubase 5 for a bit, but it doesn't seem to have such an option (you can sort of load and save mixer settings to a file, but it's buggy and too time consuming)
Works great here. "Save/Load All Mixer Settings" does the job. It would certainly be better if you didn't have to travel through a file save/load dialog to do that but it works just fine. You can also put those on key commands which speeds it up. It doesn't handle automation though.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear