The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
need free way to play my music as ringtone
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

need free way to play my music as ringtone

Hey, I've seen some discussion about this for particular phones, but what about in general? I would like to take a snippet of my music I've recorded and play it as a ringtone... both on my Sony / ATT phone and on gf's LG / Verizon phone. Is there a quick easy and free way to do this? Other people have asked me if I could put it on their phones too, so something that works regardless of carrier and phone.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

hmmm... 2weeks no reply
Old 2nd December 2009
You need to so some of your own research, work out what formats your phones support.

Many play mp3 directly, in which case all you need to do is sort out the upload method.

Nokias have a pc app for this, iPhones use iTunes, no idea what options there are for your phones.

If they don't support mp3s a quick google of the file format should throw up conversion programs, which are usually shareware.

But now the work is down to you.
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

ok, well that's what I was getting at... not sure how much of it has to do with phone... or if it's your service that determines the options...

I personally have a sony phone on att... no idea what model. It's not an iphone type... regular flip phone from a few years back.

I have a couple friends on verizon with lg phones that have asked me as well.

Is it a generic upload site that is recommended, or one specific to my carrier, etc?

Sorry, just looking for exactly where to start. I've still got the generic ringtone where everyone in the store stops and looks at their phone when it rings. haha.

OOh.... yeah... just remembered. Mine does play mp3's. No idea how to get them in there... but it plays them.
Old 3rd December 2009
there's no upload sites involved - read my post again, you need a data cable and the software to connect to the phone. You may be able to skip the data cable and use bluetooth instead.

so if it plays mp3s this is the only step you have to master.

google your phone and "data cable" or something, you should be able to find info.

But seriously, anything other than nokia or iphone is quite bespoke, it varies company to company so it's impossible to give more detailed advice - you could post your phone model here and hope someone does the googling for you, or you could do it on your own. Not hard.
Old 3rd December 2009
One of my clients, who I know in the 3DW, had a ringtone of what sounded like a crazy person yelling unintelligbly. Everytime it rang in the coffee house, everyone looked up. This guy is a bit of an oddster, a 60-something ex-dockworker turned social worker turned entrepreneur (turned social worker; he's actually an ex-client) but, even for him, it seemed a trifle wack.

Finally I asked him about it.

He says, "Oh, it's been like that a long, long time."

I asked him how he picked it and he said, "It just showed up there, one day."

I asked if he knew what it was and he said, "Yeah, it's my wife yelling at me."

I laughed and said, "Doesn't it raise eyebrows?"

And he said, "Oh, yeah, I counsel troubled families and here's my wife yelling at me."

"Well, why don't you just replace it with a conventional ringtone."

And he says, "I don't even know how it got there. Can you fix it for me?"

Apparently -- trying to stab the off button somehow -- he'd managed to make an incoming voicemail message his ringtone and was too confused by his phone's (admittedly rather arcane) menu system to figure out how to replace the ringtone.

I changed it to a nice normal ringtone (the kind that half the folks look up at 'cause they think it's their phone heh ) and he was happy. But one of our mutual friends pulled me aside and said, "Dude, I'm broken hearted you changed his ringtone. That was the funniest freakin' thing ever."
Old 3rd December 2009
Gear Maniac

I used myxer once for this on a Sprint phone which was designed to make it difficult to use your own (non-profit generating for Sprint). It worked fine - they send you a text message with a download link - but I rather suspect they put me on some spam list or something...
Old 3rd December 2009
honestly - I had quite a good sideline for a while creating ringtones (basically transcription and simplistic midi programming). All he needs is the software for his phone - and if it can play MP3s, the software will exist.

FWIW every phone I've ever owned has gone "ring ring"....!
Old 3rd December 2009
I'm afraid I'm one of those boring Blackberry people with the sound of an old fashioned mechanical telephone ringer as my tone. My one concession to the modern era is a few 'rings' of vibrate-only followed by a volume ramp up on the ring.

The downside (aside from all the other folks with the same stock tone) is that the tone appears to have been drawn from a popular foley library -- because I hear the precise same "telephone" in a lot of old TV shows and 50s/60s movies. I never noticed how many shows used the same damn telephone sound until I had that ringtone... heh
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Easy on my gf's phone... she has usb charger... no data cable here. If there was, it's long since tossed. I don't even see where it would plug in... only other thing I see is some sort of mini plug... I'm assuming for phones.

Not sure how mp3's get in. gf attempting to send me ringtone now... not receiving.
Old 4th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
Easy on my gf's phone... she has usb charger... no data cable here. If there was, it's long since tossed. I don't even see where it would plug in... only other thing I see is some sort of mini plug... I'm assuming for phones.

Not sure how mp3's get in. gf attempting to send me ringtone now... not receiving.
you can't send ringtones phone to phone via bluetooth usually, due to inbuilt copy protection.

does your phone have bluetooth? have you been to the website and seen what options there are?

Come on, work with me here!
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah... I did check a couple websites, etc. Bluetooth wasn't working, there is no data cable, and I don't know the model of the phone, so it wasn't very helpful, but I figured out a way around it all.

I make the ringtone, gf puts it into her phone as mp3 via data cable, and sends it to me as a message, I save it as ringtone. Tried it and it works.

What should a ringtone be? 30 seconds? 20? Are there general guidelines or hard limitations of some sort? I figured I'd make a nice tidy little version of one of my tracks, maybe compress the snot out of it, etc... my phone doesn't seem to ring as loud as some, so probably gotta do whatever I can to crank it as well.

Oh, and thanks as always.
Old 4th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
Yeah... I did check a couple websites, etc. Bluetooth wasn't working, there is no data cable, and I don't know the model of the phone, so it wasn't very helpful, but I figured out a way around it all.

I make the ringtone, gf puts it into her phone as mp3 via data cable, and sends it to me as a message, I save it as ringtone. Tried it and it works.

What should a ringtone be? 30 seconds? 20? Are there general guidelines or hard limitations of some sort? I figured I'd make a nice tidy little version of one of my tracks, maybe compress the snot out of it, etc... my phone doesn't seem to ring as loud as some, so probably gotta do whatever I can to crank it as well.

Oh, and thanks as always.
cool - obviously the copy protection doesn't apply to tones received via datacable.

The model of the phone will be under the battery if no-where else.

yes to heavy limiting, ringtones generally 30sec max - although it really depends on how long it takes your answerphone to kick in really - no point having it longer than this.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

i put some clients song on myxer.com and they download it into their phone
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

ok. I guess I'll just call it and see how long it rings before stopping, then go with that.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear