The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th July 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Do you guys consistently prefer all the A's or all the B's?

Wouldn't two separate runs on either sound different from one another?

I just wonder what we're really comparing here.
Yeah, where's the RandomSeed feature? heh

I haven't heard the 480L, or the LX480, or the PCM Random Hall, so someone else can answer this: Is the echo density a time-varying thing? In other words, if you have a transient being repeated at regular intervals (such as a sample of a snare drum every N seconds), will some instances of the reverb sound denser than others, at least during the first few hundred milliseconds?

In the older time-varying Lexicon algorithms, the density remained constant, just with slight microvariations of pitch. I haven't heard the "new" stuff (i.e. post 1985 high-end Lexicon algorithms).
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
Hardware/Plugin "RandomHall" comparison.

480L or LX 480

I liked B. I hope B is the plug but I am guessing it's the hardware.
The 3rd comparison had the most contrast, and I thought the early reflections in A were loose and kind of crowded the signal.
I'd be shocked if B was the plug.
Old 12th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
Sorry TB but I think they sound completely 'unalike'. The 'B' series has a nasty compressed sound and a more lo-fi frequency range as well.
I haven't had a chance to listen to the A/B samples, but I've had the 480XL demo on my system for a while and it is very very close to the sound of the original unit which I know well from use over the years.

I'll check out the clips today, but I really don't need anymore convincing.

Between the 480XL and the UA EMT250 I'm set for the two reverbs I've always dreamt of owning in my home studio! This is a great time for reverb ITB, it's been a long time coming, but it's great now it's here, I love these old units they just have so much character.

I personally don't care for the "modern" reverb sound with the exception of the TC VSS3/4 alog's which I like for creating ambience stuff and certain spaces for piano sounds.

Best
Treeb's
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

I had another listen just now and had a completely different reaction to the two sample sets. I dunno what drugs I was on the other day.. maybe something to do with not having a drink for 5 weeks is affecting me in worse ways than I thought ()...

..anyway... I take back everything I said... I now prefer B and I will say it is probably the hardware although I hope not.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

I don't have much experience with old reverb units, but B sounds better to me. Sounds more like an 'actual' space, and just seems to gel better with the drums. Something about its tails seems more authentic and less verb-like. I really hope it's the software, but I voted hardware because that's what intuition demands.

Out of curiosity... do those drums have the Overstayer on drumbus?
Old 12th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I haven't heard the "new" stuff (i.e. post 1985 high-end Lexicon algorithms).
Sean I bought EOS which is a great verb plug. How is it that a reverb designer has never heard the' modern ' lex's? :-) I'm just curious as I would've thought that a great designer like yourself would have heard practically every verb out there! No weirdness intended ,I'm just curious.
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Do those drums have the Overstayer on drumbus?
No overstayer on that clip. I got my pair after that was recorded. Chances are it was mixed with a Duende bus/DBX 903's/Klark Teknik DN504.
I do love my overstayers
Old 12th July 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Sean I bought EOS which is a great verb plug. How is it that a reverb designer has never heard the' modern ' lex's? :-)
I'm cheap. heh

Honestly, I have been working from a theoretical standpoint for the most part. I've read every paper I can find on the subject, as well as lots of things that are not "officially" published. I've looked at ROM dumps. I read the operating manuals of reverbs. I've had good conversations with co-workers, instructors, and "fellow travelers" about reverb theory (the Reverb Subculture thread here on Gearslutz is a prime example of such a conversation). I listen to impulse files. I listen to how reverbs work in the real world - you don't need several grand to clap your hands in a stairwell. Most importantly, I've programmed several hundred different algorithms over the past 12 years, so I have a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
I'm just curious as I would've thought that a great designer like yourself would have heard practically every verb out there! No weirdness intended ,I'm just curious.
I would love to hear some of the classics in person. And I have a great deal of admiration for Martin, as he has purchased many of the classic units (EMT250, 480L, 224XL, RMX16). My hope is that his investment pays off for him in the next several months.

It is clear to me that Martin is interested in recreating specific nuances of the older algorithms that no longer interest the folks at Harman. Nobody Special has made it clear that he is more interested in new work versus exact replicas of the old work. I feel that both are valid approaches.
Old 12th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
It is clear to me that Martin is interested in recreating specific nuances of the older algorithms that no longer interest the folks at Harman. Nobody Special has made it clear that he is more interested in new work versus exact replicas of the old work. I feel that both are valid approaches.
AMEN. thumbsup
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Addict

A was the the best sounding, no doubt. Much higher "glue factor", and slightly grainier. Had the mojo of the real 480L to my ears.
So, naturally, I hope B is the hardware. (Quick listen with a noisy computer nearby though).

/Daniel
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Additional Set/Poll created from the latest version of the LX 480 containing more authentic/improved parameter values in relation to the hardware.

I'm saying this now it's a damn fine reverb. I'm blown away by the attention to detail. Down to the odd lowend bump noise @ -68 that the original has.
I have a few suggestions i'll tell to Mr. Warp, value scaling suggestions mostly. But this plug has won me over. Good stuff I say.

480L or LX 480 - signaltonoize.com
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Guru

When can those who bought the Lite version get the latest version as well?
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

i have to add that the reverb examples we listened to in my own shoot out and this real one has been all about the "lush" factor, i fiddled around with the controls to copy the PCM native's concert hall which is very "real" or "live" sounding and got very close.
so it would be a good idea for relab to do a more "pro" sound comparison with the different algorithms and presets to show the extent of these verb. very cool.

my only complaint was the controls, i dont remember the 480l but i thought the setting /parameters in the xl480 where a little confusing with acronyms like rtmt , lobi (or something like it) which i had no idea what they meant at first but they probably will release a full guide or even a quickguide to show whats what.
Old 13th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
Additional Set/Poll created from the latest version of the LX 480 containing more authentic/improved parameter values in relation to the hardware.

I'm saying this now it's a damn fine reverb. I'm blown away by the attention to detail. Down to the odd lowend bump noise @ -68 that the original has.
I have a few suggestions i'll tell to Mr. Warp, value scaling suggestions mostly. But this plug has won me over. Good stuff I say.

480L or LX 480 - signaltonoize.com
I'm going for A as the hardware on the 2nd set of samples.
Both are very nice for sure.
I still feel that the Software samples (B IMHO) are just a little cleaner or pure'er.
Does A (Hardware) have a tad more depth?
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

i think relab should start working on the bricasti m7
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

I'm thinking of marketing a resizable room.. the only trouble is it'd be hell to ship. Maybe a DIY project kit or just the plans would do though? Hmmm... Shipping the Grand Canyon might be a problem though so maybe it'd just be a port-a-loo.. the greatest echo chamber known to humanity!
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
When can those who bought the Lite version get the latest version as well?
It's not production ready. The default values are completely screwed - very strange settings. The HD version is non-working because of all the changes to the algorithms.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
It's not production ready. The default values are completely screwed - very strange settings. The HD version is non-working because of all the changes to the algorithms.
I guess you meant to say it's warped... screwed is ok though?

Don't you think it's about time 'The Reverb Guys' and their beards (I hope you have a beard Martin?) did something useful like warping real space/time? We need warp drive and interdimensional transport if we are to survive? Hell, who can escape into a virtual space after all?
Old 13th July 2010

Quote:
I'm thinking of marketing a resizable room.. the only trouble is it'd be hell to ship. Maybe a DIY project kit or just the plans would do though? Hmmm... Shipping the Grand Canyon might be a problem though so maybe it'd just be a port-a-loo.. the greatest echo chamber known to humanity!
Quote:
Don't you think it's about time 'The Reverb Guys' and their beards (I hope you have a beard Martin?) did something useful like warping real space/time? We need warp drive and interdimensional transport if we are to survive? Hell, who can escape into a virtual space after all?

Bossa, are you alright there buddy, I know that Ozzy sun is very hot heh

Your last couple of posts have been pretty "out there"

Treeb's
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post

Bossa, are you alright there buddy, I know that Ozzy sun is very hot heh

Your last couple of posts have been pretty "out there"

Treeb's
Ahh, those.... well. I hadn't had a single beer (or anything alcoholic) for SIX WEEKS.. and today I have had a few. I'm on the wagon again as of tomorrow though.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm ... changes to the algorithms?
Old 13th July 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
Yes, changes to the algorithms. stike
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ehm yeah...... It has divided the internal beta testers in two camps. Some prefer the sound of the old beta and others prefer the new version since it's even closer to their 480Ls. It's a bit complicated
Old 13th July 2010
Quote:
Ehm yeah...... It has divided the internal beta testers in two camps. Some prefer the sound of the old beta and others prefer the new version since it's even closer to their 480Ls. It's a bit complicated
Go with closer to the 480L IMHO.
Release a plugin reverb with a different name as a 'new' reverb.
Best of both worlds.
Plus you can charge US$499 per plug and make double the cash. heh
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Personally I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea of the LX480 sounding better than the real 480. I also understand that replicating the hardware as closely as possible is important for marketing purposes and for those that are used to the way the hardware sounds. Can't you release three algorithms in the drop down menu? One as close to the hardware as possible, one the way the hardware could have been with more CPU resources and one that's the Relab dream-come-true 480? Or just two, without the HD version. If your version sounds better then that's the version I'd prefer using even if it isn't exactly like the hardware.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
Can't you release three algorithms in the drop down menu?
That seems to be the solution.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax View Post
+1-- I would love to have the presets available from the original 480. Tony, Warp, any ideas on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
They'll be included.
2 questions here:

Will the presets be included in the lite version already ?
and
When do we get our real licenses for the lite ? It's only a few days left on the demo...
Old 13th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
2 questions here:

Will the presets be included in the lite version already ?
and
When do we get our real licenses for the lite ? It's only a few days left on the demo...
It will kind of suck for those who already paid and the plug goes into beta for another 6 months and even our demo expires.

Just release the fraking plug. Just add the "closer to the 480" algorithm later in the dropdown menu.heh
Old 13th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
They will be delivered in the next day or so.
Old 13th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
No worries. Knowing him from his work i am sure that this a clear sign of perfectionism right there
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search