The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 20th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
What has this new plugin got to do with CSR?
Nothing.
Old 20th November 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

The algorithms are by the same guy who made the CSR algorithms, so that's not nothing. As stated, there has been huge improvement since CSR (see X-Verb), and this should be completely different. We'll wait and hear.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
But then there are the china clones ....
I need something which not everyone has.
Something of value without having to change my life attitude....
maybe it´s time getting an ssl.
like this: ??

Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
The algorithms are by the same guy who made the CSR algorithms, so that's not nothing. As stated, there has been huge improvement since CSR (see X-Verb), and this should be completely different. We'll wait and hear.

I'd say given the difference between CSR and X-verb, Tony is more right than you. So big a difference, it's not even a difference anymore and y'all should forget he even coded CSR.
Old 20th November 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Heh, fine, but that doesn't change that sad fact nonetheless.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

So I guess it would be quite embarrassing to say in this thread I actually like and use the Room and Plate algos in the CSR while I also have a Lexi PCM91...
Old 20th November 2009
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I'd say given the difference between CSR and X-verb, Tony is more right than you. So big a difference, it's not even a difference anymore and y'all should forget he even coded CSR.
Well, when did Warp69 code CSR? Wasn't it in 2002 or 2003? It seems like he has been working on reverb design pretty steadily since then, so odds are good that he will learn some stuff along the way. I know that my algorithms are vastly better today than in 2002, and I had been working on audio DSP for several years at that point.

I think that the bar has been raised for reverbs at all price levels in the past year, but Warp69's recent releases have been part of raising that bar. The CSR algorithms still sound quite nice to my ears.
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Well, when did Warp69 code CSR? Wasn't it in 2002 or 2003?
Really? Because CSR appears to have hit the shelves around Feb. of 2006 (based on old posts here). So that product was just sitting around for 3 or 4 years waiting to be released?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
Really? Because CSR appears to have hit the shelves around Feb. of 2006 (based on old posts here). So that product was just sitting around for 3 or 4 years waiting to be released?
either way thats 3 extra years of coding experience under his belt. bound to be a huge improvment if he's talented anyway.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm gonna have to force myself not to be influenced by that pretty photo realistic GUI of a 480 and use my ears not my eyes.

As the GUI is so close to a 480 - is this reverb under license from Lexicon, does it use the original alog's ?

TMY
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Keyser Söze?
ha ha ha!!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard Bengtsso View Post
ha ha ha!!
Yeah, that was my favorite comment of the thread too.

- c
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
does it use the original alog's ?
I don't think so. It's an emulation of the 480.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
I don't think so. It's an emulation of the 480.
Anyone consider the possibility that it's being praised by certain Lexicon competitor might be to get some good old-fashioned FUD brewing before Lex releases it's plug?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

nah...im going back to my original opinion. this is just a plugin with a 480 gui in front. its kind of amazing how people jump on this. no wonder that plugin developers emulate vintage emulations and pretty much nothing else . i bet this will be of no interest in 5 month time. just as the "amazing" as the much hailed CSR that nobody cares about anymore :-) the lexicon bundle it is for me. the real alogarithms without the marketing crap.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Love all the talk 'bout plugin reverbs! EOS is not bad actually. Oh well. Going back to my Bricasti M7 with M10 remote so I can regain my "manly" powers!
Old 20th November 2009
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
nah...im going back to my original opinion. this is just a plugin with a 480 gui in front. its kind of amazing how people jump on this. no wonder that plugin developers emulate vintage emulations and pretty much nothing else . i bet this will be of no interest in 5 month time. just as the "amazing" as the much hailed CSR that nobody cares about anymore :-) the lexicon bundle it is for me. the real alogarithms without the marketing crap.
Without the marketing crap? This upcoming 480 emulator hasn't even been marketed yet, only 1. vaguely announced by one reseller, 2. strongly endorsed by a third party reverb algorithm developer who happens to be behind what's probably the most highly regarded reverb product on the market today, even though they have no business relationship whatsoever. So, first of all, CSR never had anywhere near that kind of "hype" about it, and there hasn't been even a tiny official announcement yet. And despite all this, you diss it. Who knows why.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

My understanding is the CSR algos were actually first developed / implemented by Warp69 on the Creamware DSP platform .....this occurred in the 2002-2003 timeframe (and BTW in the original version they included the factory PCM-91 presets) (and they sounded great too....in fact....they were the biggest thing I miss from my Pulsar cards)

They went they were ported and went 'native' under the IK multimedia banner a bit later....but yeah...he's been developing reverb for quite a while.

I am anxious to hear this one!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
They were originally coded for the Creamware Scope systems - which was a long time ago. He didn't get many sales on that platform and thats why he ported them and made the deal with IK.

CSR were probably the best native reverbs availabe at the time, and if they originally had been released natively, instead of for scope, they would have been one of the best for at least 3-5 years.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
My understanding is the CSR algos were actually first developed / implemented by Warp69 on the Creamware DSP platform .....this occurred in the 2002-2003 timeframe (and BTW in the original version they included the factory PCM-91 presets) (and they sounded great too....in fact....they were the biggest thing I miss from my Pulsar cards)

They went they were ported and went 'native' under the IK multimedia banner a bit later....but yeah...he's been developing reverb for quite a while.

I am anxious to hear this one!
ok you got to it while i was typing. Curse my feeble fingers!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

IMHO CSR is still a great reverb. Maybe not as good as some, but still a great plugin. I generally don't like plugin reverbs, but I have gotten some good results from it. If he did indeed take that knowledge plus 6 years additional coding experience, I'm excited! Even is it sounds nothing like a 480 (which I kind of hope it does) I think this will be a great reverb. I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
IMHO CSR is still a great reverb. Maybe not as good as some, but still a great plugin. I generally don't like plugin reverbs, but I have gotten some good results from it. If he did indeed take that knowledge plus 6 years additional coding experience, I'm excited! Even is it sounds nothing like a 480 (which I kind of hope it does) I think this will be a great reverb. I'm looking forward to this one.
+1 thumbsup
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwood View Post
Israel won the Eurovision song contest 3 times. Need I say more...

Blatantly. Im in London, which most definitely is in Europe and would consider Israel to be Mediteranean as opposed to the middle-east. Definitely Europe. Back on track....Dying to hear this!!

Was well impressed by Aether - maybe this could be a contender. IK looks like a promising option, and if it sounds anything like their opto compressor, will sound outstanding.

CSR is a good sounding, non processor hungry reverb that works well on some stuff. Not my go to, but has its uses.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
What did I miss? What has this new plugin got to do with CSR?
Apparently they are both done by the same developer.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
My GAS for this plugin is so extreme that I had a dream about it last night. I think Im wrong in the head department. Anyways in my dream the plugin proved to be a let-down. The Lexicon PCM was far superior. However there was no direct ABX test in the dream-so I urge you - dont base your purchasing decisions on this information just yet, as this could be potentially an inaccurate assessment (plus in reality I have not heard either plugin)...
I think it's about time I wrote an article:

"Taking the PISS Out of GAS" (PISS being my own term for PLUG-IN SATURATION SYNDROME).

I am feeling quite sick these days... I now have VSS3, DVR2, NonLIN2, Classic Verb, Plate 140 on UAD, X-Verb on SSL and a few others I almost forget. I think my credit card needs to be taken away from me for 3 months or tie me to a mast somewhere instead...dfegad
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, without listening to this plugin you already know that it's "just a plugin with a 480 gui" and that there will be no more interest in 5 months time.

Let's just wait and find out first hand how this thing sound, and also important, how much it costs! What if it sounds 99,99% the same as the "real alogarithms" for just 1/4th of the price???

Time will tell.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
the real alogarithms without the marketing crap.
What's wrong with marketing? For these (or anything else for that matter) to exist, they have to sell them...
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Without the marketing crap? This upcoming 480 emulator hasn't even been marketed yet, only 1. vaguely announced by one reseller, 2. strongly endorsed by a third party reverb algorithm developer who happens to be behind what's probably the most highly regarded reverb product on the market today, even though they have no business relationship whatsoever. So, first of all, CSR never had anywhere near that kind of "hype" about it, and there hasn't been even a tiny official announcement yet. And despite all this, you diss it. Who knows why.
the other steer that this could be a good product - is that it looks like it comes from the developer that just made X-Verb for the Duende platform - which is said to be very good quality and up there with the Lexicon sound...so all in all with those nuggets of info gleaned thus far it looks promising seeing that it is a native plugin that surely wont have the price tag of the Lexi bundle.
All those getting defensive about the 'genuine' Lexi algos of the PCM native bundle - good for you - go buy that if you have the budget! This is just looking like a potentially more accessible native product.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

is it true that he's doing an emulation of rmx-16? or is it just speculations? it would be so nice if he nails the ambience on that one.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search