The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
So if I read this correctly you went Digital IO to the Hardware 480L?
If so then my reasoning of the 'grit' due to the converters would be incorrect.
Was the original 480L 16 Bit?
The 224 was 12 Bit right?
If so that may be what I am hearing....
Correct, I'm not sure offhand what bit-depth the 480 runs internally. The converters are 16/18
Old 11th July 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
LX480 Random Hall has up to 6 2500 ms delays,
Yeah, I knew someone would say something like this. Reverb is comprised of delays etc. etc., YES, delay based effects are wonderful.
Old 11th July 2010
Funny if I listen to A first I end up thinking B is hardware. But when I take a break and then listen to B first, A sounds like hardware! I suck at this.
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Guru

I will be real happy if B is the hardware. :-)
Old 11th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Funny if I listen to A first I end up thinking B is hardware. But when I take a break and then listen to B first, A sounds like hardware! I suck at this.
Hey, you don't suck at anything. The point is the two clips are so darn close that it is "almost" impossible to tell which is which!

HOW MUCH did 480L originally cost £5000+

How much is this plugin (when fully released) $499

The only conclusion I can come to from these two clips is:

Warp = brilliant software developer.

Over the next few years I am crossing my fingers he will turn his skills to a 244XL then a RMX16,
yes that will do nicely .... you listening Mr Warp heh

Best
T
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
Hey, you don't suck at anything. The point is the two clips are so darn close that it is "almost" impossible to tell which is which!

Over the next few years I am crossing my fingers he will turn his skills to a 244XL then a RMX16,

Best
T
Apparently the AMS should be on the tracks if you look at the third image on the official site
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best
T
Sorry TB but I think they sound completely 'unalike'. The 'B' series has a nasty compressed sound and a more lo-fi frequency range as well.
Old 11th July 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

I don't hear any compression in that reverb sound, and there is indeed a different decay and overall frequency balance, but nothing is really "lo fi" in my opinion.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
I don't hear any compression in that reverb sound, and there is indeed a different decay and overall frequency balance, but nothing is really "lo fi" in my opinion.
I hear a hard reduction immediately after the attack of the drums. Like a compressor sucking down on it during the sustain part of the envelope.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

I'll guess B is hardware. Pretty close either way.
Old 11th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
Apparently the AMS should be on the tracks if you look at the third image on the official site
I used an original 'vintage' AMS RMX-16 last week for a mixdown - it was niiiiiiiccceeee for sure.
That would be on my list as well as the LX-480. heh

Love your work Martin.thumbsup
We have X-Verb up at Heliport and it is great also.
And I have tried the CSR verbs - good as well.
You da man!!!!!
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would really love text entry for the parameters in the LX480 and mouse wheel support.
+1 for both... should be givens these days, right?
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Head

B's E/R sounds more lo-fi and less dense, but has a sweeter buildup to my ears. A's tails reminds me of ClassicVerb.

If someone gave me $200 to purchase one of the two, I would purchase B, as it sounds more unique to me.

I'd be really interested in how the test would sound on Linndrums, DrumTraks, DMX, or RX...

Both reverbs sound excellent, no doubt about it!
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

I've heard hat ClassicVerb is based on a 480 but I don't know for sure. Did Martin code that one?

I wonder if TRIM would mind PM'ing me the answer to this thread?
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I'll guess B is hardware. Pretty close either way.
I also voted B as HW
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Only listening on crappy laptop speakers right now, but I vastly prefer B. It sounds like a room, glues with the source and doesn't muddy up the signal. Example A sounds like a plugin verb, at least in comparison. Unfortunately in terms of usefullness for mixing this makes a big difference. I've compared the Lexicon plugins to my Nuverbs (= Lexicon 300s) and there is the same big difference. There's something very annoying about the plugin sound, a tendency to wash over the signal instead of blending with it, quite destructive in its way. This has nothing to do with converters. I've also got similar issues with plugins in general, compressors, EQs, modulation - compared to hardware (even digital) there's this mud, blurryness, thinning going on...
I would be VERY surprised if B turned out to be the plugin and most probably buy it at once though...
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Only listening on crappy laptop speakers right now, but I vastly prefer B. It sounds like a room, glues with the source and doesn't muddy up the signal. Example A sounds like a plugin verb, at least in comparison. Unfortunately in terms of usefullness for mixing this makes a big difference. I've compared the Lexicon plugins to my Nuverbs (= Lexicon 300s) and there is the same big difference. There's something very annoying about the plugin sound, a tendency to wash over the signal instead of blending with it, quite destructive in its way. This has nothing to do with converters. I've also got similar issues with plugins in general, compressors, EQs, modulation - compared to hardware (even digital) there's this mud, blurryness, thinning going on...
I would be VERY surprised if B turned out to be the plugin and most probably buy it at once though...

I had 3 Nuverbs for years and will have to disagree with you. I sold them after I bought the PCM bundle. I prefer the LX480 Lite version too the Nuverb too.

I actually think the drums are smoother on A and the reverb blends into the source much better than B. In B I hear the reverb doing it's thing too much. And I am actually using the LX480 on some drums in a track right now and it sounds more like A. So I am really thinking B is hardware now but I prefer A.
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Will the final release of the 480XL contain all the original 480L presets, or is that technically a legal problem?
I thought this was a good question. No answers?
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Addict

In this comparrison
480L or LX 480 (beta comparison) - signaltonoize.com

there are clear differences, but no results or solution of the comparrisson is given.

I clearly prefere A to B , still don't know wich is wich...
Old 11th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMan View Post
I thought this was a good question. No answers?
+1-- I would love to have the presets available from the original 480. Tony, Warp, any ideas on this?
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I actually think the drums are smoother on A and the reverb blends into the source much better than B. In B I hear the reverb doing it's thing too much.
Example A sounds smoother, but so does an impulse response made from pink noise. But a real room hardly ever sounds smooth. And yes, the reverb is more obvious on example B, that's why you don't have to use much to make it work in a mix. As for blending, the whole signal looses separation. IMO it's kind of the point of a good reverb to provide room while retaining the clarity/definition of the signal. And one thing that's so great about big Lexicon reverbs is the extra excitement/punch it creates. I hear that only in example B here.
But the bottom line must be that if the goal was to emulate a 480l this goal clearly wasn't reached.
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Example A sounds smoother, but so does an impulse response made from pink noise. But a real room hardly every sounds smooth. And yes, the reverb is more obvious on example B, that's why you don't have to use much to make it work in a mix. As for blending, the whole signal looses separation. IMO it's kind of the point of a good reverb to provide room while retaining the clarity/definition of the signal. And one thing that's so great about big Lexicon reverbs is the extra excitement/punch it creates. I hear that only in example B here.
But the bottom line must be that if the goal was to emulate a 480l this goal clearly wasn't reached.

Regardless, I think A sounds better to me. heh Actually my problem with plugin verb has always been that the reverb separates from the source too much and I clearly hear that in B. But I do agree with you that I hope B is hardware.

Actually I sold my Nuverbs to a guy in Germany. You wouldn't happen to be him?
Old 11th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax View Post
+1-- I would love to have the presets available from the original 480. Tony, Warp, any ideas on this?
They'll be included.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I sold my Nuverbs to a guy in Germany. You wouldn't happen to be him?
Don't think so, I bought mine more than 5 years ago. But I've got an idea who might have bought yours. :-)
I won't sell mine anytime soon.
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Don't think so, I bought mine more than 5 years ago. But I've got an idea who might have bought yours. :-)
I won't sell mine anytime soon.
A guy named Andreas.
Old 11th July 2010
Here for the gear

A is the plugin and B is the hardware. A sounds better than B.
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Re: Mystery plug-in leak... Relab LX480 NOW RELEASED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus

A guy named Andreas.
The local lexicon guru
Old 11th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
In this comparrison
480L or LX 480 (beta comparison) - signaltonoize.com

there are clear differences, but no results or solution of the comparrisson is given.

I clearly prefere A to B , still don't know wich is wich...
Do you guys consistently prefer all the A's or all the B's?

Wouldn't two separate runs on either sound different from one another?

I just wonder what we're really comparing here.
Old 11th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Wouldn't two separate runs on either sound different from one another?
You are correct... previous tests of the plugin and the hardware have clearly shown this to be the case.
Old 11th July 2010
Gear Maniac

are there presets available to download for the beta?
Thanks!

- oh in the first email, got it!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search