The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 7th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
Same here.
The LX480 has this classy feel the Lexi Bundle doesn't (to my opinion).

Actually I was having the best results using the PCM Bundle and the LX480, using the 480 on certain key tracks that I wanted to bring out in contrast.
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

So does anyone know what the mystery plugin actually is?heh
Old 7th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
Just a humble opinion,

But if you like older school FX reverb, all steamy and gluey with a cool envelope then the 48XL will float you boat.

If you like a modern twist on the above with greater "clarity" of the space then the Lexicon Bundle is cool.
I am finding I'm able to get the "steamy gluey" thing in the PCM bundle by stacking a couple of instances in series.
It sounds much warmer and as you say 3D.
Obviously, it requires some tweaking, but it might be worth a try.

That being said, I'm enjoying the 480 too.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler View Post
I am finding I'm able to get the "steamy gluey" thing in the PCM bundle by stacking a couple of instances in series.
It sounds much warmer and as you say 3D.
Obviously, it requires some tweaking, but it might be worth a try.

That being said, I'm enjoying the 480 too.
How do you manage to do that? Tips? I don't have PCM demo anymore but i did exactly same thing. Stacking two or more PCM reverbs sounds kinda a nice but then i loose source clarity which is deeply washed inside stacked reverbs.

On the other side i don't have to do that with LX480.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
So does anyone know what the mystery plugin actually is?heh
I think it's a compressor!
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Nice thick dense space with this plugin. After using PCM bundle since the release I have come to appreciate my VSS3 again too.. it's good to have options.
Old 8th June 2010
Gear Guru

I might have missed this but when exactly is this plug being released? And I hope we will be able to get another demo that has the full version.
Old 8th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I might have missed this but when exactly is this plug being released? And I hope we will be able to get another demo that has the full version.
No one knows.Very mysterious.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
Nice thick dense space with this plugin. After using PCM bundle since the release I have come to appreciate my VSS3 again too.. it's good to have options.
I never stopped appreciating VSS3 while I had the lexicon bundle demo
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Guru

I absolutely hated the VSS3, no character--but I guess that's the point.
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I absolutely hated the VSS3, no character--but I guess that's the point.
I wouldn't use the word "hate" in my case but I felt similarly.
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I wouldn't use the word "hate" in my case but I felt similarly.
VSS3 and VSS4 (same tails, just different earlies) are both mono in stereo out reverbs. I have often thought the love/"hate" relationship with these verbs had somewhat less to do with clean vs "lush" and somewhat more to do with the stereo perspective.

Do you feel the same way about VSS3/4 verbs as much for mono sources as you do for stereo ones?

-Casey
Old 9th June 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
VSS3 and VSS4 (same tails, just different earlies) are both mono in stereo out reverbs. I have often thought the love/"hate" relationship with these verbs had somewhat less to do with clean vs "lush" and somewhat more to do with the stereo perspective.

Do you feel the same way about VSS3/4 verbs as much for mono sources as you do for stereo ones?

-Casey
That's probably what I was responding too Casey. Good call. There was just something very austere and phasey about the sound.
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's probably what I was responding too Casey. Good call. There was just something very austere and phasey about the sound.
I don't hear any phasey stuff here... can you be more specific? The VSS3 is listed as a stereo source reverb and the input [metering] does reflect the panning of the source, so I am not quite sure as to your point and whether it is indeed correct anyway.

EDIT: I suppose that there could be phasey stuff when using a stereo source but I haven't heard it.
Old 9th June 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Are you talking about the early reflections, or just the tails?
Old 9th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ssa View Post
I don't hear any phasey stuff here... can you be more specific? The VSS3 is listed as a stereo source reverb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Are you talking about the early reflections, or just the tails?
Just the tails.

-Casey
Old 9th June 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Just the tails.
I heard a demo of IRCAM's SPAT back in late 2000, which seems to work along similar principles. Detailed early reflections (binaural in the case of SPAT), with a mono-input late reverb field. The results were unconvincing - the early reflections had a great sense of space, but then the image abruptly shifted to diffuse mono. A source from the left would start at the left, and then jump to mono.

My guess is that the early reflections in the TC stuff are long enough to avoid this image jump, but the phase issues with stereo inputs being summed to mono would still be an issue. I have done reverb tests with some stereo mike recordings ("The Milk-Eyed Mender" by Joanna Newsom) where a mono-input reverb ends up largely reverberating the vocals, while the instrumental music is canceled out in the summing to mono.

From what I have heard / studied, the original 224 Concert Hall algorithm did a great job in preserving the initial stereo image, in that the energy from a given channel will eventually fill both channels, but at a natural sounding rate. Later Lexicon algorithms tend to mix up the energy of the channels much quicker, but they are still good at avoiding cancellations that can happen when a reverb sums to mono before processing. I need to go buy an iLok so I can hear how the LX480 deals with this.
Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear

Here's a chart with the Powercore reverbs compared:
PowerCore / Pro Tools: true stereo reverb plug-ins
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

BTW thanks for the continued beta license, I used the LX480 on another track now (after avoiding it towards the end of the first period because of compatibility).

Keep up the great work and I am curious what will happen around the 21th of July then heh
Old 16th June 2010
I couldn't bear to see the thread on page 3.....sorry.
Old 17th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
I couldn't bear to see the thread on page 3.....sorry.
Oh, that's cruel! I was hoping this was the announcement that the plug was being released soon. Please, please release this plug before August... I need it for a project!!
Old 17th June 2010
Gear Maniac
Maybe we have to threaten them with a free Dr.Pepper for everyone who contributed to this thread to release the plug.

I actually think it will take a lot of time till the final release.
Warp is obviously a perfectionist.
As much as i would love the plug now as much i will love the final complete plug that will have all the magic of the original.

I think a real artist is at work here.

Cheers
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

I finally had the time to play with the beta.. and it's absolutely fantastic. Actually, the word "fantastic" is not enough to describe how fantastic it is.. (ehm...)

This reverb will change history!
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
Maybe not history, but it has a good chance of changing a lot of people's future.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

So now it's also a time machine?
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I finally had the time to play with the beta.. and it's absolutely fantastic. Actually, the word "fantastic" is not enough to describe how fantastic it is.. (ehm...)

I predict this reverb will be used heavily throughout the 80's and 90's on popular music releases, and will eventually be regarded as a classicheh
Old 18th June 2010
Gear Guru

I predict a year from now we will still be sitting around wondering about this mysterious plugin.

heh
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

I predict that when 80's and 90's style music comes around again my LX480 will be ready.
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Maybe not history, but it has a good chance of changing a lot of people's future.
Hehe.. Once this reverb plugin is ready, I will go back in time, put it in a big ass machine, and sell it to Lexicon.

Let's face it, this plugin is an emulation.. of itself! hehheh
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I predict a year from now we will still be sitting around wondering about this mysterious plugin.

heh
how many algos are left?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search