The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Get over yourselves, people. 2 reverb designers discussing things in a friendly manner. Move on.
Yeah so...anyone know anything about the priiicccceee? Aynthing? Rumor?
Some ETA on new beta release? I am sick of waiting...dfegad
Any sound examples from new algos?
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Yeah so...anyone know anything about the priiicccceee? Aynthing? Rumor?
Some ETA on new beta release? I am sick of waiting...dfegad
Any sound examples from new algos?
Don't expect any news on price until they can actually make a sale. This thread is just a great big marketing con job.
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken View Post
Don't expect any news on price until they can actually make a sale. This thread is just a great big marketing con job.
Wow, I'm curious...How is this thread, in your mind, a "great big marketing con job"?
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken View Post
con job.
???

The world needs to have more acceptance of trade craftsman.

If you want all of your products to be like the cell phone that you bought and then threw away during the life of this thread, then perhaps you should look elsewhere for products more attuned to your lifestyle.

Fortunatly there are craftsman who aim just a bit higher.

This thread has done nothing but allow the people that have followed it to get to know Martin and a little about his design sensibilities. He has given anyone that asked for it a working example of his art for free.

You are out of line sir.

-Casey
Old 24th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Wow, I'm curious...How is this thread, in your mind, a "great big marketing con job"?
One could at least say the release of the 480XL has without doubt been boutique in it's own right :-)

Martin is definately the polar opposite of Apple!

I could never imagine UAD or TC releasing a plugin in this way, they do hint at a product coming but the first email I get from them is when it's ready to sell.

This whole thread and the "single" algo beta, no release target (ie Q1,Q2 etc)
the lack of price and the general air of Martin programming away at his kitchen table, has made for the mother of all "prick tease pluigns" IMHO.

If the beta demo wasn't so bl**dy FANTASTIC, I would've off ignored this thread about 3 months ago!

Con job - definately NOT.
A slight wind up - well .... I'm getting a little frustrated LOL

Treeb's
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear
I need a good laugh so i am waiting another conspiracy theory..
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

"Con" job... of course not, but I myself can't help wonder why the price continues to be withheld. One potential reason which comes up is, in fact, that they want to test the waters to see how popular it appears to be before setting the price. I think it's fair to question whether or not this is true, but probably not fair to accuse them of being cons. If it's true - if they're testing the waters - it's acceptable and not even rare in business, but it's not considerate of all us potential customers to say that the price has already been set if it's still bobbing up and down.

If it's in stone... well... yeah, why wait?

One theory: if it's too high, it'll turn people off too early and they may not come back. If it's too low, it could be perceived as cheap.

BUT, and it's a huge J-Lo but, we now have the demo, and audio samples, and the word is relatively consistent -- people really like it. It won't likely be perceived as cheap. So is there fear that it'll be perceived as too expensive?

With the demos and the buildup of word-of-mouth, what's the harm in releasing the price at this point?
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
we now have the demo
This is NOT a demo. The demo will be a demo of the full product.

What have been released is a beta - things will change.
Old 24th May 2010
I think this thread has been a bit of a tease and not surprised people are frustrated given the lack of real info. I had imagined this would be released ages ago and I now have my reverb needs pretty much sorted...its awesome how much time Martin is putting in - but we didnt need to be 'leaked' to so early...
The sentiment about a marketing 'con job'....well considering the info was leaked around the time of the Lexicon native release (so as to offer a potential alternative) and it has turned out to be far too far in advance - actually I think there is some evidence for that...
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

+1 thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I think this thread has been a bit of a tease and not surprised people are frustrated given the lack of real info. I had imagined this would be released ages ago and I now have my reverb needs pretty much sorted...its awesome how much time Martin is putting in - but we didnt need to be 'leaked' to so early...
The sentiment about a marketing 'con job'....well considering the info was leaked around the time of the Lexicon native release (so as to offer a potential alternative) and it has turned out to be far too far in advance - actually I think there is some evidence for that...
Old 24th May 2010

It may of been leaked to present an alternative to the PCM bundle - who knows.

In my case the Lex native bundle was of no interest to me - simply not my cup of tea.

I have longed for a 480 or 244 emulation. So currently Rehlab have me as a captive audience awaiting their arrival on stage.

However, I wish I had other options, as the waiting is getting a bit anoying.
The first post was over 6 months ago!

If UA emailed me tommorow to say I could buy a lexicon 480/244 for my UAD-2 quad, I would buy it in a heart beat, and move on.

It's a honest but admitedly slightly childish way of looking at this thread.

T
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
One theory: if it's too high, it'll turn people off too early and they may not come back. If it's too low, it could be perceived as cheap.
Assuming the quality of the other algos are as good as the random hall we've tested, if Relab prices this lower than Lexicon's own bundles (the PCM and LXP), they'll mop up. I really believe that.
Old 24th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
It may of been leaked to present an alternative to the PCM bundle - who knows.

In my case the Lex native bundle was of no interest to me - simply not my cup of tea.

I have longed for a 480 or 244 emulation. So currently Rehlab have me as a captive audience awaiting their arrival on stage.

However, I wish I had other options, as the waiting is getting a bit anoying.
The first post was over 6 months ago!

If UA emailed me tommorow to say I could buy a lexicon 480/244 for my UAD-2 quad, I would buy it in a heart beat, and move on.

It's a honest but admitedly slightly childish way of looking at this thread.

T
Not childish at all. I am also interested in a UA Lexicon...I enjoy shipping reverbs to UAD DSP...now there is no real added latency...and UA prices are quite reasonable once you have the DSP...cant see a Lexicon emulation being more than $300...
Seems like the reverb market is hotting up of late - which is why I would think it advantageous to get products released...
But anyways - it is what it is...
Old 24th May 2010
Lives for gear

I think that the whole "price is already set" thing is crap. They would have told us long ago (why not) if it really was. It's their call, but it's bound to alienate some.

I'm not in the market for the world's best reverb right now (the world's third or fouth best will be fine...) so I'll shut up now and go away before someone else tells me to.
Old 25th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
I think that the whole "price is already set" thing is crap.
You're free to think whatever you'd like... But, you would be wrong.
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
This is NOT a demo. The demo will be a demo of the full product.

What have been released is a beta - things will change.
I guess my terminology could have been more specific, but what I meant was that we now have a real-world demonstration of the product, even if it's technically referred to as a beta. It's something into which we can feed our own sources, which is far better than audio demos.
Old 25th May 2010
Gear Nut

I have still been unable to get a beta.
I have sent emails, PMs etc. to Tony and never received a reply.

Hey Tony, I have clicked on the link and submitted my info several times.
Help?
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

If anybody is making this a mystery and conspiration then probably we, the participators of this thread and potiental clients are.

The announcement time so far in this forum has been six months, that is quite some time but is it that unusuable, especially for an independent developer with that kind of quality product?

The only thing I hope is that Martin is not frustrated about the additional wishes and comments but keeps on working tightly instead, I mean this for the welfare of his baby.

Cheers
Hannes

Last edited by Hannes_F; 25th May 2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Make more clear what I am meaning
Old 25th May 2010
Some bickering posts and references to pirate software deleted.

Stick to the rules or risk a ban..

Thanks
Old 25th May 2010

I took a look at the original 480L manual.

Wow - is Martin re-creating the whole lot. Surely not - it must just be the reverbs - it would take year and years to model all the stuff in a 480L

Heck, just all the reverb algo's must be a big job.

Go Martin. Your a star in my book

Treeb's
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

any update on when the plate algo will be ready for testing. this is what interests me the most
Old 25th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
any update on when the plate algo will be ready for testing. this is what interests me the most
The plate... yes, me too!
Old 25th May 2010
Gear Addict

Yes the plates and the dreamy big and larger than life algos
Old 25th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler View Post
I have still been unable to get a beta.
I have sent emails, PMs etc. to Tony and never received a reply.

Hey Tony, I have clicked on the link and submitted my info several times.
Help?
You couldn't have sent a PM to me, because mine have been disabled for the last 3 years at least.

I don't know your email address so it's difficult to figure out. The email function through Gearslutz does not work, so that might explain it.

If you emailed me... and I received it, it was sent. It's very possible you have already received it, and it's sitting in your spam folder.

I'll enable my PM's so you can send me a message. Just drop me your email address.
Old 25th May 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
This whole thread and the "single" algo beta, no release target (ie Q1,Q2 etc) the lack of price and the general air of Martin programming away at his kitchen table, has made for the mother of all "prick tease pluigns" IMHO.
And WHAT is wrong, exactly, with programming at the kitchen table?

As a DSP developer since 1999, I can't tell you how LIBERATING it is to be able to work on a laptop. In the embedded world, you need a ton of peripherals strapped to your machine (development boards, emulators, power supplies) that tends to keep you strapped down to your desk. Now that I have moved over to native development, I relish the opportunity to do my work wherever it is convenient. Kitchen table, coffee shop, library, basement, you name it. My 3.5 yo MBP has everything I need to code for Mac and Windows, and preview the plugins in a variety of hosts. I'm sure that Martin does the same thing.

I would also wager serious money that Martin has a fairly nice set of speakers to listen to the algorithms when fine tuning things. I know that he has a 480L, and a bunch of other old hardware units, so he has good sonic references on hand. However, most of the work in plugins is in programming the basic algorithm and interface, and this can happen anywhere.

This isn't the first comment I have seen on Gearslutz that mocks the concept of the programmer working in less than optimal conditions (references to sitting in the basement in your underwear, eating Cheetos, that sort of thing). I've worked in a basement plenty, as well as a custom built home office, the dining room table, and a sound insulated office that my old employer made for the sound engineers. The algorithms and code don't know the difference - what makes a difference is knowing what you are doing, which Martin clearly does.
Old 25th May 2010

Quote:
LOL

Steady on, you have read way too much into my comment (stupid internet)

I meant it in a fun way, certainly not detrimental. I have written my best songs in my dressing gown sat at my piano 5am in the morning.

I see pictures of UA and Softube with their scopes and teams of programmers and it does look very pro to a layman like me - I have no idea if Martin works that way, I'm sure it makes no difference to the final product, just maybe how long it takes to get to market.

But one point you make, I'm fairly sure he has got a physical 480L sat in front of him, either that or THE most fantatic memory and auditry imagary since Mozart heh

Best
T
Old 25th May 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
LOL

Steady on, you have read way too much into my comment (stupid internet)
And WHAT is wrong, exactly, with programming plugins in the basement at 5 am in your underwear, snorting coke off your laptop and crying?

Quote:
I see pictures of UA and Softube with their scopes and teams of programmers and it does look very pro to a layman like me - I have no idea if Martin works that way, I'm sure it makes no difference to the final product, just maybe how long it takes to get to market.
UA has nice facilities - I haven't seen them since they moved to Scotts Valley, but they had nice digs in Santa Cruz. Still, the offices of the DSP guys weren't super fancy. The heavy lifting was done on the whiteboards, and in their heads. I'm sure that they have some Audio Precision measurement gear around as well, which is useful when modeling compressors and the like - less necessary for reverb modeling.

Quote:
But one point you make, I'm fairly sure he has got a physical 480L sat in front of him, either that or THE most fantatic memory and auditry imagary since Mozart heh
At one point, I think Martin posted about having a 480L, 224XL, EMT250, Quantec...I could go on, but jealousy is getting the best of me. Suffice it to say that he has some nice gear, and he is clearly putting it to good use.
Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

He, this thread is getting funnier every day : - )

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
At this point I feel the urge to release this information to the public: 90% of the GUI code for LX480 was coded in my living room, with me sitting in the couch with my good 'ol laptop : - ).

Obviously, some parts needed me to move to the office (a better monitor, a faster machine, whatever), but of course, if you're running a small operation like I do, why not take all the advantages and work where you darn please?

Anyway, it's nice to see how well the beta was received... I'm sure the remaining algorithms won't dissapoint anyone, because I know first hand how much attention to detail Martin has.

All the best,

Michael Olsen
PhonoXone
Old 26th May 2010

.... and what a fantastic GUI it is.

Well done indeed.

Best
T
Old 26th May 2010

Quote:
At one point, I think Martin posted about having a 480L, 224XL, EMT250, Quantec...I could go on
What a mouth watering prospect, and plenty of time to save up ;-)

Best
T
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search