The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekara View Post
Possible to make extremely long tailed reverb similar to this Joris Voorn track? (1:31 mark would be a good example)
I wouldn't say that's an extremely long tail. Yes, you can have a reverb time of 60sec+
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Aether is a fine product but I easily picked it from the PCM plugins in a ABX. The tails give it away. Plus Aether takes a crazy amount of cpu whereas the Lexicons barely register.
I agree. They're quite different.
Well, generally I don't think it is polite to jump into another developer's product thread, but since you mention Aether, let me clarify this some...

There was a small blind test at VI-control. Everyone who voted chose Aether.

There was a another blind test at Cubendo. Everyone who voted chose Lex.

There were a couple other comparisons on KVR and they were about 50/50.

We were not involved in anyway in any of these.

I think the conclusion thus far, and I would say it is far from conclusive, is that these tests depend heavily upon the presets used both by Aether and by Lex, and since we did not make an emulation it is not very simple to dial in exact preset matches. Generally the preference in these cases seems to go to the example that has the best preset matched to the needs of the audio source. At least that is what it seems to me.

As for CPU usage, Aether is roughly 2x as much as Lex in lowest quality settings (ie double). When oversampling is used we go up substantially, but that is to be expected, and it is optional. Generally speaking we could certainly lower CPU usage if we wanted more noise, but we do not want more noise as our goal is extreme fidelity not modeling of classic gear inclusive of the noise it contains. That's simply our design decision.

Lex is a great product. People say the same of Aether. Seems this one here might be very nice too--I have not tried it, yet. I think it is cool to live in a time when we finally have such options available.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

I personally think that Aether is every bit on the same level as the Lex plugs after working with it for a week or so. The tails are excellent, and the tweakability is pretty deep. They are both great products.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Is it still possible to beta test the LX480 or is it an exclusive members club only?!! Having loved the PCM Native demo, I'm eager to try this so I can decide which one to get out the wallet for..
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds great! (hint...maybe scope version with the v5sdk?)
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Addict

Is this for public or sign up BETA? I'd like to sign up if possible. How can I?
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades View Post
Is it still possible to beta test the LX480?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnMix Studio View Post
Is this for public or sign up BETA? I'd like to sign up if possible. How can I?
Contact Tony Belmont - Plugin Discounts - The Best Prices on All of Your Plugin Related Needs - and ask for the beta.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Souter View Post
Well, generally I don't think it is polite to jump into another developer's product thread, but since you mention Aether, let me clarify this some...

There was a small blind test at VI-control. Everyone who voted chose Aether.

There was a another blind test at Cubendo. Everyone who voted chose Lex.

There were a couple other comparisons on KVR and they were about 50/50.

We were not involved in anyway in any of these.

I think the conclusion thus far, and I would say it is far from conclusive, is that these tests depend heavily upon the presets used both by Aether and by Lex, and since we did not make an emulation it is not very simple to dial in exact preset matches. Generally the preference in these cases seems to go to the example that has the best preset matched to the needs of the audio source. At least that is what it seems to me.

As for CPU usage, Aether is roughly 2x as much as Lex in lowest quality settings (ie double). When oversampling is used we go up substantially, but that is to be expected, and it is optional. Generally speaking we could certainly lower CPU usage if we wanted more noise, but we do not want more noise as our goal is extreme fidelity not modeling of classic gear inclusive of the noise it contains. That's simply our design decision.

Lex is a great product. People say the same of Aether. Seems this one here might be very nice too--I have not tried it, yet. I think it is cool to live in a time when we finally have such options available.
Certainly, I wasn't implying at all Aether was bad. It sounds fantastic, especially considering the price. That cpu hit would be a problem for me though. I would defintiely put Aether up there ther ein the top 5 ITB reverbs. Good job man. It's amazing how far these plugin reverbs have gone as of late. I have sold all my hardware. Good times indeed.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
Contact Tony Belmont - Plugin Discounts - The Best Prices on All of Your Plugin Related Needs - and ask for the beta.
About one or 2 months ago I requested the price of Lexicon PCM Bundle on that website, but never got any information back.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
Sounds great! (hint...maybe scope version with the v5sdk?)
This guy has a great idea ..

Definitely my prefered platform, and having a SCOPE version may force me into buying Native version aswell at some point. I'm sure Warp69 is considering and waiting on S|C.

EDITED
Old 12th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao View Post
About one or 2 months ago I requested the price of Lexicon PCM Bundle on that website, but never got any information back.
I suggest checking your spam filter... Your/my emails may be getting blocked.

Try emailing me right now.... After you email me, report back here, so we can figure out if/ when things went wrong.

tony AT highprofileaudio.com

Also..... You can request the beta via the following link:

Plugin Discounts - Relab LX480
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekara View Post
As a hobbyist producer of mainly electronic music, I tend to use reverb quite extensively to create a drenching effect on drums.

I haven't tried the beta of the 480 yet as I have been holed up in the office for the past week, but does it have a preset or settings that can absolutely drench and mangle drums?

Possible to make extremely long tailed reverb similar to this Joris Voorn track? (1:31 mark would be a good example)
That is simple 909 Clap burned in reverb tail with long decay. Sure LX480 can do that.
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Addict

any reverb can do that
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Reconsider that Ilok copy protection.
Old 13th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Why?

T
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
any reverb can do that
Half true. I was about to say same thing as you did then i stopped. Yes you can dial 6.sec decay in 99% reverbs out there but 99% will sound grainy and very metallic. That is why i focused on this one in particular. I think he asked this. But sure Lex PCM, AA reverb or Aether can do that respectively but not every reverb out there.
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Why?

H
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Maniac
# su JediMindTrick
Ilok is the dongle you're looking for!
Ban SyncrapSoft!
#

I'd like a dongel free version because it's much easier, less hassle with resale, no worries about broken or stolen dongles and no extra waist of money.
If you need one please go with Ilok as this seems to be the most popular and the one with the least hassle.
And i already have one. heh

Thanks
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear

Been today comparing Aether vs 480LX vs Lex PCM. In case of LX480 I've compared it only against Random Hall algo within Lex bundle which should be a modern substitute I suppose. All are great and will definitely buy LX480 when releasd, but if I had to choose to have only one, I'd choose Lex PCM over the other two without thinking twice. I just prefer its sound when I want to achieve more realistic spacea, it also sounds a little more natural and smoother.

Aether is another great reverb and is retty unique. Very flexible and gorgeous sounding. But without oversampling it simply cannot be compared next to Lex. With 2x oversampling its sound improves by a large margin, but with oversampling engaged it brutally rapes the CPU, so it is not very usable for huge native ITB mixes...and sadly that's the only reason why I haven't decieded to buy it.
Old 13th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post

Aether is another great reverb and is retty unique.
I completely agree about unique factor. It does remind me to Powercore VSS3 sometimes(read cold rooms-cold in a good way) but that is good thing IMO. For that price and if you need something "different" you can't go wrong. Great product and nice companion to LX480 all the way
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I suggest checking your spam filter... Your/my emails may be getting blocked.

Try emailing me right now.... After you email me, report back here, so we can figure out if/ when things went wrong.

tony AT highprofileaudio.com
hey Tony, i got the bta but it's not showing in Logic or PT. Any issue i should be aware of, how to fix that?
thanks
Old 13th May 2010

Quote:
hey Tony, i got the bta but it's not showing in Logic or PT. Any issue i should be aware of, how to fix that?
thanks
There is no RTAS version, so it wouldn't show up in Pro Tools. In Logic, you might want to go into your Audio Units Manager and make sure it is active (check marked).

Also, for people looking for the beta, please use the following link:

Just click the "Request to be Notified" button, and I'll take care of you.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, for people looking for the beta, please use the following link:

Just click the "Request to be Notified" button, and I'll take care of you.
I am unable to use that link. It forces me to use .mac and I do not have an account. Is there a direct email address?

EDIT: Just looked in my spam account. Found your responses, Tony. Thanx.
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
There is no RTAS version, so it wouldn't show up in Pro Tools. In Logic, you might want to go into your Audio Units Manager and make sure it is active (check marked).

you.
Ok, not RTAS, cool.

Ok, it's working in Logic now.
This things sounds nice so far.

Price range?
Old 14th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
EDIT: Just looked in my spam account. Found your responses, Tony. Thanx.
Yes.... It appears my emails are being caught in some spam filters.

Folks, if you have emailed me requesting the beta, I have sent it. If you haven't received it, please check your spam folders before emailing me with a second request. I'm getting quite a few duplicate requests lately.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, it's working in Logic now.
Was it just a matter of check-marking the plugin in AU manager or did it go beyond that?
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Was it just a matter of check-marking the plugin in AU manager or did it go beyond that?
Beyond
it would not show up while Logic in 64bits, so i had to load it in 32-Bit. After loading in 32bit i saved it a session then open it back in 64bit.
Oddly, i didn't see no 32bit plugin AT ALL in AU Manger while in 64bit. Not sure whats up with that.
Had a lil issue with iLok too, but after repeated attempts it then loaded to my iLok.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Okay. So, I'm using Pro Tools, which obviously means I had to wrap the plug. When wrapped, it's a little glitchy. It opens in two pieces. One piece is what you would expect a plug to open as, except it's a blank panel. This portion is mobile. When you move this portion, the actual GUI is beneath it and static. So wherever it opens you cannot move it. I assume(as dangerous as that is) this is because it is a wrapped VST which we know are sometimes problematic. Once I got passed that, I was able to tweak with the reverb a bit. Sonically, outstanding. This is NOT CSR. Not that CSR is a bad reverb, but this really is next level. It's been a while since I've played with a 480L, but it does remind me of the sound a great deal. Congrats, Mr. Lind. Look forward to a slightly more friendly RTAS version.

I'm running a '09 Mac Pro Quad(4.1) with OSX 10.5.8.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Beyond
Oddly, i didn't see no 32bit plugin AT ALL in AU Manger while in 64bit.
That is odd. They should be accessible in 64 mode, and even usable with the bridge.
Old 14th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Okay. So, I'm using Pro Tools, which obviously means I had to wrap the plug. When wrapped, it's a little glitchy. It opens in two pieces. One piece is what you would expect a plug to open as, except it's a blank panel. This portion is mobile. When you move this portion, the actual GUI is beneath it and static. So wherever it opens you cannot move it. I assume(as dangerous as that is) this is because it is a wrapped VST which we know are sometimes problematic. Once I got passed that, I was able to tweak with the reverb a bit. Sonically, outstanding. This is NOT CSR. Not that CSR is a bad reverb, but this really is next level. It's been a while since I've played with a 480L, but it does remind me of the sound a great deal. Congrats, Mr. Lind. Look forward to a slightly more friendly RTAS version.

I'm running a '09 Mac Pro Quad(4.1) with OSX 10.5.8.
That bug you referred to is a pretty common VST wrapper bug... it's not a LX480 exclusive bug. I've seen it happen with other plugins and the VST wrapper.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search