The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

This reverb kicks total and complete ass. I love it and I can't wait to hear the other algorithms.

As long as it's reasonably priced (talking to you Lexicon and Flux!) I'm definitely IN...
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I haven't received any emails through the GS "send email" feature since February (that function might be broken right now)...
I've had a couple of "send e-mail to" notes get lost recently, too.

JSL
Old 12th May 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Adding at least a global reflections level control can't possibly take long. However, let's forget that. Having a vastly different and incorrect behavior in projects with sample rates higher than 48kHz is a very big problem.
If the plugin doubles the existing 44.1/48 kHz delay lengths when running at 88.2/96 kHz, it will have the exact same resonances. Double the delay lengths + double the sampling rate = exact same delay lengths in samples. It might be a bit brighter, depending on how closely Martin has modeled the antialiasing filters, but I wouldn't presume it would sound any different otherwise.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Having a vastly different and incorrect behavior in projects with sample rates higher than 48kHz is a very big problem. I don't intend to change the sample rate I almost always work in during mixing, as it's mandatory for many other things, starting from A/D D/A conversion. Personally yes, I want this to be solved, but it's not like I'm forcing anyone.
The plugin functions normally with higher sample rates than 48kHz - don't worry. I just described how the 480L works at 44.1kHz and 48kHz sample rates.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
1) Can all the decay/delay lines sync to divisions of the host tempo?

2) The sliders seems kind of fidgety. Can we get text input and jog wheel functionality?

3) Is the selection of HD global to the plugin and ignores the loaded preset? I'd hate to have to select HD everytime I load a preset if HD was off by default. I would make HD on by default.
#1 Not in the initial release.
#2 I'll ask Michael
#3 Im afraid that's not possible - you'll have to remember that all the algorithms will be present in the plugin and you might not like the other HD versions (doubtful heh)
Old 12th May 2010

Personally, I want a "as close as humanly possible" 480L emulation.

Warts and all.

Martin please leave the noise, leave the quirks of the original uint, it's wonderful stuff to me.

I have TC reverbs if I want clean and clinical.

Best
Treeb's
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
Tony ... you ask, we answer. What you do then and how you sort the priorities is in your hands obviously If you don't want to hear our findings ... simply don't ask.
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying to delay the release to add this stuff. Just revisit them in future updates maybe.
Maybe Tony is sending me a message - 'Just finish that plugin NOW, and add the suggestions in an update'. I get you Tony heh
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
Martin please leave the noise, leave the quirks of the original uint, it's wonderful stuff to me.
This is a good topic, something which could go on for 5 pages by itself, but I have to throw in my vote for a cleaner version of a 480L. Some of the original quirks were there because they had to be, but most aren't adding a lick of soul or character or important flavor to the end result. Some are just unwanted, plain and simple. Noise, for instance, I could do without. If I want noise, I can add it. If I DON'T want it, I'd like to know that it can disappear.

I don't know what exactly should stay and what should be improved upon, but I think it's wrong to include these shortcomings of old technology just for the sake of nostalgia or for the ability to say that it's a 100% emulation. These flaws have to serve some purpose going forward.
Old 12th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
This is a good topic, something which could go on for 5 pages by itself, but I have to throw in my vote for a cleaner version of a 480L. Some of the original quirks were there because they had to be, but most aren't adding a lick of soul or character or important flavor to the end result. Some are just unwanted, plain and simple. Noise, for instance, I could do without. If I want noise, I can add it. If I DON'T want it, I'd like to know that it can disappear.

I don't know what exactly should stay and what should be improved upon, but I think it's wrong to include these shortcomings of old technology just for the sake of nostalgia or for the ability to say that it's a 100% emulation. These flaws have to serve some purpose going forward.
I have the UAD EMT250 plugin, they added (by request) a switch to turn the noise off, if you don't want it.

It's strange but I always leave it on - it honestly sounds "better to me" (daft I know) but there you have it. Maybe we should get Ethan in on this .... only kidding heh

Quote:
Maybe Tony is sending me a message - 'Just finish that plugin NOW, and add the suggestions in an update'. I get you Tony
Good message :-)

Best
Treeb's
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
Since you ask: Yes I opt for not hearing noise when the input is silent. I don't need magic being added to silence.
But that's the part of real unit? I agree that it should be switchable though. We don't need limitation of old technology in new technology.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Regarding the noise topic - I'll make a switch for some of the noise.

I think this topic is far from over - not many have heard the Surround Card for the 480L. This is a test with maximum SPIN (which generates most of the noise)

Would I implement that? Absolutely heh
Attached Files

480L SR Maximum Spin.mp3 (1.08 MB, 265 views)

Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting sample.

In that instance the noise practically IS the sound, so it wouldn't fall under the "doesn't add character or flavor" category of things which I call unnecessary. There's nothing subtle about that noise.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Maniac
Re: Mystery plug-in leak

Clean sound always sounds a bit boring to me. Thats why i prefer vintage equipment. Theres some noise and quirks that give it more life and depth.
Old 12th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
Maybe Tony is sending me a message - 'Just finish that plugin NOW, and add the suggestions in an update'. I get you Tony heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post

Good message :-)

Best
Treeb's
heh
Old 12th May 2010
Here for the gear

Tony:
I had analog I/O emulatoin turned on.

Warp69:
I know that the delays were differrent in L480 and plugin preset.
I only tried to get the same effect; the preset was my starting point because I noticed that the most parameters look similiar to the hardware preset. I tried to transfer the parameters from the hardware very carefully, but I could not get the same result.
I will verify the preset you included.

Anyway I feel the sound of plugin is perfect one!
Old 12th May 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Yeah, that was kinda subtle, no?

heh
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
#1 Not in the initial release.
#2 I'll ask Michael
#3 Im afraid that's not possible - you'll have to remember that all the algorithms will be present in the plugin and you might not like the other HD versions (doubtful heh)
No worries. No deal breaker. I think you guys did an incredible job. I have a track I had the PCM's on the "cleaner" reverb duties and put your 480 on the vocals and a few other money tracks and it was magic. Release it today! heh
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't gone through the 40 pages of this thread !!!
But here is a shootout with otherverbs and the new lex verb by waves.

v.i. control forum • View topic - LX480 - new reverb on the horizon [ Guest ]

there are several posts in there comparing reverbs and one is themes lexicon PCM against the aether which is also interesting as the aether being less expensive sounds as good or better, IMO . It's all a matter of taste of course.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
I haven't gone through the 40 pages of this thread !!!
But here is a shootout with otherverbs and the new lex verb by waves.

v.i. control forum • View topic - LX480 - new reverb on the horizon [ Guest ]

there are several posts in there comparing reverbs and one is themes lexicon PCM against the aether which is also interesting as the aether being less expensive sounds as good or better, IMO . It's all a matter of taste of course.

Lex verb by Waves? Where is that mentioned?
Old 12th May 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
The plugin functions normally with higher sample rates than 48kHz - don't worry. I just described how the 480L works at 44.1kHz and 48kHz sample rates.
OK, but there should be a way to make presets "portable" so that they would sound the same when loaded in different sample rates.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Nut

I vote for a noise on/off switch. Best of both worlds for those who wants noise and for those who doesn't. Also if either side regrets his decision on certain situations and wish to use/turn off the noise there's always the switch!

But if this means that the v1.0 release could be considerably delayed by this implementation then please release the plugin and implement this as an update later on.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lex verb by Waves? Where is that mentioned?
oops my bad . it has the waves logo in the same page d'oh

here

Plugin Discounts - The Best Prices on All of Your Plugin Related Needs - COMING SOON!
Old 12th May 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
oops my bad . it has the waves logo in the same page d'oh

here

Plugin Discounts - The Best Prices on All of Your Plugin Related Needs - COMING SOON!
Hmm yeah, that can be confusing .
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Still

That guy has the beta of it

Unlesss it's here buried in the 50 pages of this thread.
Old 12th May 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still

That guy has the beta of it

Unlesss it's here buried in the 50 pages of this thread.
Those who contacted Tony (see buttom of that page) got the beta.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Based on the posted samples? Or by using the products?
Old 12th May 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Based on the posted samples? Or by using the products?
I think the answer is very simple.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Guru

Aether is a fine product but I easily picked it from the PCM plugins in a ABX. The tails give it away. Plus Aether takes a crazy amount of cpu whereas the Lexicons barely register.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Nut

As a hobbyist producer of mainly electronic music, I tend to use reverb quite extensively to create a drenching effect on drums.

I haven't tried the beta of the 480 yet as I have been holed up in the office for the past week, but does it have a preset or settings that can absolutely drench and mangle drums?

Possible to make extremely long tailed reverb similar to this Joris Voorn track? (1:31 mark would be a good example)

Im very excited about this plugin!
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aether is a fine product but I easily picked it from the PCM plugins in a ABX. The tails give it away.
I agree. They're quite different.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search