The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Addict

i'm surprised to read very little reviews here. some whining as usual...

how many people are on the beta list ?
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
One question though is can the LX480 run of an Mac Intel laptop and how many instances will i be able to get at once? I am looking into picking up a mac lap top now and this plug may just push me over the edge in terms of purchasing it.
I apologize - I simply forgot to answer that question.

Im also looking into picking up a Mac laptop very soon, so the following is based on a Mac Pro 8-core 2.8Ghz (early 2009)

1 instance LX480 (Normal) 0.5%
1 instance LX480 (Normal + Analog) 0.6%
1 instance LX480 (HD) 1.0%
1 instance LX480 (HD + Analog) 1.1%

I would believe any Mac laptop can run 25+ instances.
Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
I apologize - I simply forgot to answer that question.

Im also looking into picking up a Mac laptop very soon, so the following is based on a Mac Pro 8-core 2.8Ghz (early 2009)

1 instance LX480 (Normal) 0.5%
1 instance LX480 (Normal + Analog) 0.6%
1 instance LX480 (HD) 1.0%
1 instance LX480 (HD + Analog) 1.1%

I would believe any Mac laptop can run 25+ instances.
Sounds great Martin.
Old 7th May 2010
Hi. I just downloaded the new beta and installed it and spent about 15 minutes listening to some drums thru it. Sounds really gorgeous, I think.
When I first opened an instance on DP 7.1.2 while the sequencer was playing, it immediately crashed the program (unexpected quit). I then relaunched DP and instead opened the plug first without the sequencer running and it loaded fine. Then spent 15 minutes listening to drums on Tony's presets, and was very impressed. I don't have an original 480 to compare it to, but I have the Lexicon Native Bundle and I think it's just as nice as that.
Just my 2 cents!
heh
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax View Post
I don't have an original 480 to compare it to, but I have the Lexicon Native Bundle and I think it's just as nice as that.
I predict that it's going to be a BMW/Mercedes thing with these two: both are excellent and equally well made but people tend to prefer one or the other, but they're NOT the same, nor do they intend to be.

The PCM verb is an apple, LX480 is an orange. Personally, I like apples as much as oranges - just depends on my mood. Good to keep both in the bowl.
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

No PPC?

Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I predict that it's going to be a BMW/Mercedes thing with these two: both are excellent and equally well made but people tend to prefer one or the other, but they're NOT the same, nor do they intend to be.

The PCM verb is an apple, LX480 is an orange. Personally, I like apples as much as oranges - just depends on my mood. Good to keep both in the bowl.
True.
For me, the LX is walnut wood and the PCM Bundle is brushed aluminium.
Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
noize_organizer that Alphorn in LX480 is awesome
Thanks !

I must admit the LX sounds like a perfect match in this case.
Old 7th May 2010
LX screenshots

2 simple screenshots of the user interface.
Picture resolution is a bit low and doesn't do justice to the classy look of the LX - sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Relab LX480-lx-filter-reg.jpg   Relab LX480-lx-setup.jpg  
Old 7th May 2010
Typical LX CPU consumption on a Mac Intel Dual 2x2.66

A few screengrabs to show the typical CPU consumption on my Mac Intel Dual Core 2x2.66.

Nothing to worry about, apparently ...
Attached Thumbnails
Relab LX480-intel-mac-dual-core-2x2.66.png   Relab LX480-16bits-44.1khz.png   Relab LX480-24bits-44.1khz.png   Relab LX480-24bits-48khz.png   Relab LX480-24bits-88.2khz.png  

Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

It was said way back in this thread the price was set a long time ago - why isn't it being announced?

All the details on the plug-in have been talked about these jokers won't mention the price. Something stinks here.

As I've said before this thread is just being used to freeze the market fuuck
Old 7th May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken View Post
It was said way back in this thread the price was set a long time ago - why isn't it being announced?

All the details on the plug-in have been talked about these jokers won't mention the price. Something stinks here.

As I've said before this thread is just being used to freeze the market fuuck
What do you think of the sound, have you tried it yet?

I will try it today, I didn't care for the Lex Bundle personally, as one poster said it sounds like brushed aluminium (that's OK for my HEDD 192 front panel;-) but walnut wood sounds like my cup of tea for a reverb "FX"

I am excited to try this plug, it has been a long wait

T
Old 7th May 2010
Personnally, I had put high expectations on the PCM bundle and found it very good but not to my taste.

I much prefer the LX, the source and reverb sound merge better and I have no impression to run my signal through a "can" or something metallic.

The LX is very nice to play with, too. Much better than the original 480 as you have a fader-per-function and not multi-usage faders.
I found myself being more creative with the LX than with the 480, thanks to the user interface.

And you get the benefits of plug-ins over hardware on top : no hiss, (virtually) as many instances as you like, presets, no cables and patch, update-ability and (almost) maintenance-free, no power consumption, no fan noise in the control room, no rack space, no LARC sitting on your mixer, no latency problems, frees up mixer's channels, automation, etc.

All these aspects have a special meaning in the case of the 480L, knowing that repairing them is getting difficult (some spare parts are becoming rare).

I still need to play a bit with it, but I must say I had a hard time leaving the studio yesterday ;-)
Old 7th May 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
More and more we are being excluded and tossed aside.
You can't expect developers to support a completely abandoned architecture forever. Blame Apple (though I wouldn't, as they made a good choice).
Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
You can't expect developers to support a completely abandoned architecture forever. Blame Apple (though I wouldn't, as they made a good choice).
I would also blame Avid and their closed system.
Old 7th May 2010

OK just ran a SD through the Jazz Hall preset.

Absolutely bl**dy marvelous.

Congrats to Mr Warp .... excellent work, add me to your fan club.

It has the magic, I personally felt lacking in the PCM bundle but then I'm really into reverb "FX"

I was comparing the 480XL (I love the GUI by the way - great fun and very seductive) to my UAD EMT 140 and 250, then TC VSS3 and thought these are simply AMAZING times to be into audio. We are SO very very lucky.

If Warp or UAD do a 224XL emulation and TC release VSS4 for Poco then I'm throwing a party.

Now fingers crossed I can actually afford this plugin

T
Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
It has the magic, I personally felt lacking in the PCM bundle but then I'm really into reverb "FX"

If Warp or UAD do a 224XL emulation and TC release VSS4 for Poco then I'm throwing a party.
Same here, I like reverbs with character and the LX really delivers.

I was thinking the exact same thing : Warp69/Martin, please make the 224XL for us ;-) !!!
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Tried it last night against X-Verb and PCM Native Bundle, well..... I love it!! I've been thinking if its worth getting this when you have x-verb but i think it sounds slightly different. I have been running it in analog mode though. thumbsup

Love the GUI too!
Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
It's a really bad news

Do you plan to support Mac PPC ?

As a Protools Hd user, i feel bad because there is more and more manufacturers (included Digi -Avid that didn't support Mac PPC anymore) and forget that if we have bought a TDM system it's not for replacing the computer every 2 years... With my old G5 PPC and a HD3 i still can load big sessions with no problems, so i don't need to upgrade to a new computer...

Let me know.

I wish you the best for this new baby.

Lionel
Quote:
This really sucks for some of us Digi PTHD power users( I have 2 full blown out PTHD systems on PPC macs at the studio).

More and more we are being excluded and tossed aside.

Not to mention no TDM versions of anything.

Will this plug run off a Mac Lap top? It maybe worth it just to get a laptop to run it off that and have the plug in be almost and external processor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post

Hi Thrill,

so i'm not the only one in this case !!! i've put exactly the same message yesterday...seee above. I would think that we should be more than that in this case !
Maybe we should start a new thread to blame to Avid , Apple and other... (i really want Digi continue to support PPC for the HD sytems too...)

I'm really sad, i can't use it on my Audio sytem.

Of course i can buy a laptop with a digital soud card to use it, but it will cost more and it will not be easy as an internal plugin...
Old 7th May 2010
I was just thinking the 480 is an old verb so think old so think PPC !

(It's a joke, sorry i couldn't resist)
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course and i understand.

My comments were not directed at you in anyway and more at the state of plug in developments in general. Its pretty much a done fact that the hard core Digi PTHD users are viewed as a dinosaur of the past unfortunately.
I'm a Logic guy, so I'll try to keep this as nice as possible without sounding like the usual "PT sucks! Logic rules bull****".

I'm actually frustrated for people who use PTHD right now and I think the problem is that Digi really lost sight of the times.

With new 12-core machines on the way, processing power in Native is officially no longer an issue. Couple that with 64-bit systems and there's no longer a RAM limitation so software based instruments won't hog the system. Meanwhile, Digi is sitting there pushing an archaic DSP based system that can't even process something like the LX480 efficiently? Also- why does Relab have to be a Digi certified developer? Something is wrong with this picture...

BTW - downloading the installers now for the LX...Thanks Tony. thumbsup
Old 7th May 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing : Warp69/Martin, please make the 224XL for us ;-) !!!
Warp69, from a KVR post (KVR: Lexicon 480L Reverb):

"The other Hall algorithm will sound even more lush. The Random Hall is far from dreamy compared to the other Hall."

It's just a hunch, but my guess is that this upcoming algorithm will have some of that 224XL mojo in it.
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
The PCM Room algorithm is a specific PCM96/92 algorithm. The 480L doesn't have a Room algorithm as such. The Room algorithm from PCM96/92 is related to the Random Ambience from the 480L, but they don't sound alike.
Yeah, I'm aware that the PCM 70 Tiled Room was the concert hall (right?). You can do that with the PCM bundle as well, but it sounds just grainy, and not deep (as opposed to grainy and deep, which is where the fun is).
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course and i understand.

My comments were not directed at you in anyway and more at the state of plug in developments in general. Its pretty much a done fact that the hard core Digi PTHD users are viewed as a dinosaur of the past unfortunately.

One question though is can the LX480 run of an Mac Intel laptop and how many instances will i be able to get at once? I am looking into picking up a mac lap top now and this plug may just push me over the edge in terms of purchasing it.
I think probably the useage is similar to the PCM bundle (seems to be on my big computer). I have been mixing an entire album at 44.1 on my antiquated core 2 duo 2.0 ghz macbook with roughly 4 instances of the Lex verb (and anywhere from 16-24 tracks with eq and comp, and tons of modulation efx as well). So yeah, a modern Macbook pro would be plenty of juice to run a ton of these 480s.
Old 7th May 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Yeah, I'm aware that the PCM 70 Tiled Room was the concert hall (right?). You can do that with the PCM bundle as well, but it sounds just grainy, and not deep (as opposed to grainy and deep, which is where the fun is).
PCM70 Tiled Room was the Rich Chamber. The Rich Chamber algorithm, as far as I can tell, was extended upon to form some of the algorithms in the 480L.

The PCM Concert Hall seems closest to the 224 Concert Hall algorithm, which sounds nice, but it can sound grainy, especially at small sizes (PCM70 Tiled Room used a very small setting of Size). The Rich Chamber algorithm can sound very nice at small size settings - it is a less "colored" algorithm.
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
PCM70 Tiled Room was the Rich Chamber. The Rich Chamber algorithm, as far as I can tell, was extended upon to form some of the algorithms in the 480L.

The PCM Concert Hall seems closest to the 224 Concert Hall algorithm, which sounds nice, but it can sound grainy, especially at small sizes (PCM70 Tiled Room used a very small setting of Size). The Rich Chamber algorithm can sound very nice at small size settings - it is a less "colored" algorithm.
Ah, thanks Sean.
Old 7th May 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Ah, thanks Sean.
I should add that I think it is very likely that the Rich Chamber-esque algorithms from the 480L will make it into the final release of the LX480. So getting a setting similar to Tiled Room should be easy.
Old 7th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I should add that I think it is very likely that the Rich Chamber-esque algorithms from the 480L will make it into the final release of the LX480. So getting a setting similar to Tiled Room should be easy.
hope so as I absolutely love that PCM70 Tiled room preset in Nebula - and Ive almost considered getting the hardware to be able to have a tweakable version...
Old 7th May 2010
Gear Maniac

What a beautifull sounding Reverb!
Also praying now that it will be in my price range!!!
Old 7th May 2010
Lives for gear

Since the price has yet to be announced, all you early adopters please downplay your comments for now. Too much lavish praise and worship may drive the price up.heh

I hope there is an introductory price offer.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search