The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relab LX480 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 27th March 2010

It's hard not to be excited about this plugin.
Digital reverbs do seem like excellent candidates for a plugin as it's less of a leap of faith unlike maybe a Fairchild compressor as a plugin.

I'm hoping UA do a Lexicon 224XL and not a competing 480 or 960.

Then I will have an EMT 140, 250 and Lex 480 and 224XL in my DAW - which fankly is mind blowing and beyond my wildest dreams of 10 years ago.

I still use my TC VSS3 a great deal to create rooms and have my fingers crossed they release VSS4 for Poco.

These really are great times to be in pro audio (record sales aside that is!)

Treeb's
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
It's hard not to be excited about this plugin.
Digital reverbs do seem like excellent candidates for a plugin as it's less of a leap of faith unlike maybe a Fairchild compressor as a plugin.

I'm hoping UA do a Lexicon 224XL and not a competing 480 or 960.

Then I will have an EMT 140, 250 and Lex 480 and 224XL in my DAW - which fankly is mind blowing and beyond my wildest dreams of 10 years ago.

I still use my TC VSS3 a great deal to create rooms and have my fingers crossed they release VSS4 for Poco.

These really are great times to be in pro audio (record sales aside that is!)

Treeb's
That's fine but why do you think(or not) that Relab is not capable to produce decent and beyond 224XL emulation? Why? Because they did not announce partnership (read marketing greenies) with Lexicon and "official" access to "original" algorithm?

I am just curious why do you think that UA is supposed to do this? Partnership?
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Yes.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
But that alone does not mean anything. You will be very naive to believe in something like that. Experienced and talented reverb developer is all what they need. Rest is just bull marketing (IMO).

Example: From what i know this board is full of sound examples and comparison between UAD EMT (supposedly using same and "original" algorithm) and original hardware EMT. They don't sound same at all (i am not ditching UAD emt) and from what i can hear difference is not introduced from AD/DA as some people like to believe.

Pure reverb pattern is sounding different. Watching UAD fancy video (where they read some papers...) one could believe and expect that UAD should deliver same reverb pattern. If they had access to original algorithm as they say can you explain why UAD reverb is sounding different? Care to explain?

Just to say again i am not ditching UAD. It seems nice without a question. I am just curious and suspicious about all that. And UAD is not only one doing "that" anyway.
Old 27th March 2010

Quote:
The reasons I want UA to do the Lexicon 224XL is:

1. Looks like the 480 has now been done - so I will have that covered.

2. I really rate UA vintage stuff - they have an excellent track record.
their EMT stuff is really really close to the originals. After the superb EMT250 I feel confident they can create a brilliant 224XL.

However I do note, that unlike the EMT250 where Dr Barry Blessing himself came on board with the actual original algo's, that Lexicon have implied that the original algo's are now no longer available for the 224XL.

This may or may not be true ... in truth only Harmon know what they have locked away in their vaults.

I however do believe that if Harmon/Lexicon do in fact has access to the original algo's that UA ultra safe UAD platform is the safest way to release this fabled "magic dust" reverb into the plugin market.

I personally find the whole "lost algo's plot" a fun read and makes the whole 224XL plugin thing a bit intriguing.

Any way it's all conjecture as only UA knows which Lexicon they will model.
I'm crossing my fingers it's the 224XL purely for selfish reasons - I love the sound of a 224XL on rock 'n' pop vocals.

Treeb's
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lexicon have implied that the original algo's are now no longer available for the 224XL.
Harman can speak for themselves of course, but David Griesinger has all of the 224(X(L)) details and the original development environment intact.

I hope that if UAD does a 224, that they will rightfully associate David's name with the product, as they did with Barry Blesser on the 250.

I do agree that Relab would be able to do an excellent job on the 224(X(L)) as well.

-Casey
Old 27th March 2010

UA do seem into bringing the original designers on board, it's seems to make for a better product as well as being great marketing (well it always works on me:-)

I don't care who does a 224XL, only that someone (who's knows how) does one.

For project studio's like my own, multiple instances and instant recall have become to addictive to re-trace a route back to hardware.

Trebor
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLotusx View Post
Mmm, can't wait for the beta, yum! The enhanced version sounds pretty tempting. O.o
And when we are on the subject of the CPU, is it a power-hog or pretty light weight?
The 480L algorithms use around 0.4%-0.5% of a Mac Pro 8 core 2.8GHz (Early 2008). If you activate AD/DA emulation it will be 0.5%-0.6%. You'll have to multiply with around 3 for the enhanced versions.

There's no latency regarding the algorithms. The AD/DA emulation will introduce 2-4 samples of latency.
Old 27th March 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp69 View Post
The original 480L algorithms use around 0.4%-0.5% of a Mac Pro 8 core 2.8GHz (Early 2008). If you activate AD/DA emulation it will be 0.5%-0.6%. You'll have to multiply with around 3 for the enhanced versions.

There's no latency regarding the algorithms. The AD/DA emulation will introduce 2-4 samples of latency.

Nice work, Warp!!!
Old 27th March 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Question

Quote:
The original 480L had limit cpu resources and David had to make some compromises in the algorithms. The enhanced versions are 'what would have happened if the 480L had much more power' algorithms. The enhanced versions uses 2-3 times more cpu power than the originals.
If you can, please explain more or less what compromises were "uncompromised" and how that affects parts that make up the reverb effect. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested .
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
The 480L algorithms use around 0.4%-0.5% of a Mac Pro 8 core 2.8GHz (Early 2008). If you activate AD/DA emulation it will be 0.5%-0.6%. You'll have to multiply with around 3 for the enhanced versions.

Sounds great! Now the all important question. How much will this thing cost?

Man, it's a good time for reverb.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
If you can, please explain more or less what compromises were "uncompromised" and how that affects parts that make up the reverb effect. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested .
You will be able to try it yourself next month - but the goal was a much smoother reverb and minimizing some of the artifacts normally associated with synthetic reverbs, but still keeping the original sound of the 480L.
Old 27th March 2010
Quote:

sweet! I had concerns that this plug might be heavy compared to the relatively light new Lexicon plugs, and potential UAD...
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

it's amazing how computer DAW and effect plugins have existed for decades, yet it's only now in 2010 that we're getting some "real" algorithm based software reverbs !

AT LAST !
Old 27th March 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
You will be able to try it yourself next month - but the goal was a much smoother reverb and minimizing some of the artifacts normally associated with synthetic reverbs, but still keeping the original sound of the 480L.
I can't tell you how happy this makes me. This thing would be a hot seller if Warp69 just reproduced the 480L algorithms. Extending upon the David Griesinger algorithm base shows both respect for the "classic" algorithms, and enough mastery to take the algorithms to a new place.

From all accounts, Casey has done something similar with the V2 algorithms for Bricasti. This is really a great time for reverbs.

Salut, Warp69! Salut, Casey!
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I had concerns that this plug might be heavy
Well, the plugin will be heavy if you active dual engine and load the enhanced versions in both slots.
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

When these early digital reverbs were first conceived dsp was limited or a best very expensive , with all the uber power of the modern computer getting these algo's to work should be no problem at all ! would be interesting to note the original dsp they had compared to today , a huge gap i suspect !
Lexicon took there time to exploit the power of the modern computer
still it's all happening now !
I've held out so looking forward to doing a shoot out between lex pcm,lxp and this one
groooovay !!!!
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Salut, Casey!
I agree. I just installed V2 Beta. Oh boy - very (very) nice.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, the plugin will be heavy if you active dual engine and load the enhanced versions in both slots.
sweet, sounds like music to my ears.
Old 27th March 2010
Gear Guru

there's love in the air...
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
UA do seem into bringing the original designers on board, it's seems to make for a better product as well as being great marketing (well it always works on me:-)
That's true -- involving the original designer can go a long way towards a better emulation.

Lexicon's blessing, however, doesn't guarantee anything. Many people have been unhappy with PSP's PCM42 plugin, which got an official nod from Lexicon and even their logo on the GUI.

I have complete faith in Warp's short term and long term projects, and not feel too hesitant about UAD's either.
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Addict

Smile We want the price

Hi everybody, I am following this discussion for 3 month now and I am glad to hear that it looks like the plugs going to be great.

Any idea about the price Mister Wrap69?

Tell us the price, that would be nice
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post

Any idea about the price Mister Wrap69?

Tell us the price, that would be nice
Yes please
Old 28th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

Sweet! Many thanks for your very informative and quick reply.
Old 28th March 2010
Quote:
but presumably the single engine will sound good enough not to need a dual enhanced all the time?
Old 28th March 2010
Lives for gear

For someone who's been on the lookout for a really good verb and the Lexicon is just way out of his reach, this is exciting!
(Assuming this isn't going to be 1500 + dollars)
Got the email, thanks Tony.
Old 31st March 2010
DTA
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renan L.B View Post
*Plays X-Files Theme*

<Dana> The Evidence suggests we should wait and hear from Tony or expect an official annoucement from this mysterious company first.
<Mulder> IT'S A LEX480!! For god's sake scully i saw it with my own eyes!!
<CancerMan> I don't know what you're talking about. cofff! cofff!
Thank God – ´til today I was afraid being the only one who writes eMails and stuff in an X-Files dialogue style...
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Is this ever going to see the light of day?
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Is this ever going to see the light of day?
No… It's a plug-in, they live ITB.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search